Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Breakdowns are

Academic:
    Valid Poll: 2133, Quota 1069
    Paddy Rockett 1173
    Jacqueline Woods 960

Welfare
    Valid Poll 2211 Quota 1106
    William Jennings 336
    Kelly O'Brien 949
    Cathal Ronan 926

After Jennings' transfers
    Kelly O'Brien 1085
    Cathal Ronan 1090

President
    Valid Poll 2355, Quota 1178
    David Hartery 702
    Eamonn Horgan 529
    Adam Moursy 1124

After transfers
    David Hartery 920
    Adam Moursy 1322

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Wow! For only 3 positions there's a large difference in votes cast for each position.

What was the total number students who logged on and cast a vote?

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Wow! For only 3 positions there's a large difference in votes cast for each position.

What was the total number students who logged on and cast a vote?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Surprised at how big a margin Moursey won by... but I think the right candidate may have won this.

Rockett's win was no surprise. Better campaign, more confident, more experience.

Sickeningly close for Welfare. Really surprised that Jennings' transfers went to Ronan to be honest. Thought for sure Kelly had it when he was being eliminated. C'est la vie I guess.

Didn't quite catch the figures for previous years, how does it compare? I know there were ~3800 votes last year, but is 2355 the lowest for some time? Disappointing turnout but hardly surprising given the level of apathy around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Sabbats this year have a big mess to clean up after this year.

Getting the SU reconnected with the entire student body should be top of the agenda

a 20% turn-out for an online poll is nothing short of embarrassing and a clear indication that the majority of the student body are disconnected from the SU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Surprised at how big a margin Moursey won by... but I think the right candidate may have won this.

Rockett's win was no surprise. Better campaign, more confident, more experience.

Sickeningly close for Welfare. Really surprised that Jennings' transfers went to Ronan to be honest. Thought for sure Kelly had it when he was being eliminated. C'est la vie I guess.

Didn't quite catch the figures for previous years, how does it compare? I know there were ~3800 votes last year, but is 2355 the lowest for some time? Disappointing turnout but hardly surprising given the level of apathy around the place.
    na it was lower than 2355 in previous years down to around 1800 some years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yeah, just looking at the figures now.

Lower than 2011 and 2010, but up on all years before that except '03 when the boathouse referendum was held. I'd say tis the lowest online poll though?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

So everyone who logged in to vote voted for president?
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yeah, just looking at the figures now.

Lower than 2011 and 2010, but up on all years before that except '03 when the boathouse referendum was held. I'd say tis the lowest online poll though?

You have to remember that online voting, which was introduced last year, increases the potential turn out. So the turn out this year is considerably worse than a similar turnout when voting was by paper ballot.

Polar Ice wrote: »
    So everyone who logged in to vote voted for president?

Yes, interestingly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Oxford_

I'm finding Kelly's hissy fit on facebook quite humorous.

2132149458_1ba7c571c2.jpg

• Advertisement

Rockett is the Bertie Ahern of ULSU politics

Corrupt as **** yet gets by on a roguish whim

I sincerely hope I don't have any education issues next year

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

Kelly for usi president

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Oxford_ wrote: »

What's going on?

Oxford_ wrote: »

2132149458_1ba7c571c2.jpg
    Stop being a dick

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Oxford_

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    Stop being a dick

Bit rich out of you with your recently published FYP on Kelly O'Brien, how many votes do you think that lost her?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Hear a lot of people groaning that the su is finished, i don't know much about them but at least give them a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 colon

Fair play to you paddy. Ill look forward to your snout sessions when you move into your new, bigger abode in the su den.

Skyrim wrote: »
    Hear a lot of people groaning that the su is finished, i don't know much about them but at least give them a chance.

This.

I have my doubts about all of the elected to be honest, but I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Also, don't think I've said this yet, but best of luck to all those elected. And commiserations to those who lost out.

At least we don't have a pro fee president being groomed for the dail anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

This vote has showen me something nobody gives a **** about the SU.
    Also next year doesn't look too good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I felt a little bad for David Hartery to be honest, he has that professional manner about him that the SU badly needs. Moursy has a massive task to heal the disconnect between the union and the student body, especially c&s. Yhe voter turnout was ridiculous seen as voting took all of 20 seconds but that shows what people think of the unio

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I felt a little bad for David Hartery to be honest, he has that professional manner about him that the SU badly needs. Moursy has a massive task to heal the disconnect between the union and the student body, especially c&s. Yhe voter turnout was ridiculous seen as voting took all of 20 seconds but that shows what people think of the unio

Hartery was slightly too sure of himself in his approach I thin

I was highly skeptical of Moursey running tbh but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now

The lack of a fcuk given by most students towards the SU needs to be addressed though

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

great to see a result, delighted for paddy!

interesting to see how things will play next year, it clear the ul students dont give two hoots about the union....and can ya blame them.

Very disappointed to see an officers say "The average student has no idea whats best for them tbh!"

sad times

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

Hey guys,

First off thanks to each and every one of you that voted for me.

To the people that doubt/doubted me, its my goal to change your opinion of me. I'm going to give this Union 100%, it deserves nothing less. I was annoyed/disappointed with the low voter turnout but given the past week I somewhat expected it as there has been a sombre mood around campus. This attitude is what I'm going to change - The Union needs change, it needs a change in attitudes both from the Students and from the Union. As I said it last night, we need to get the Union back to the grassroots and realise we are Student Representatives and that our first job is to represent the students in the best way possible. It is imperative that the new team can connect with students from the offset to create a strong relationship, one that didn't exist this year.

Adam

Adam_M wrote: »
    Hey guys,

First off thanks to each and every one of you that voted for me.

To the people that doubt/doubted me, its my goal to change your opinion of me. I'm going to give this Union 100%, it deserves nothing less. I was annoyed/disappointed with the low voter turnout but given the past week I somewhat expected it as there has been a sombre mood around campus. This attitude is what I'm going to change - The Union needs change, it needs a change in attitudes both from the Students and from the Union. As I said it last night, we need to get the Union back to the grassroots and realise we are Student Representatives and that our first job is to represent the students in the best way possible. It is imperative that the new team can connect with students from the offset to create a strong relationship, one that didn't exist this year.

Adam

Fair play Adam. Hopefully you can follow up on this because it's a huge issue

Our SU elections in comparison to every other University in the country are a joke

Congratulations on the victory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Fair play to Adam, Paddy, and most of all Cathal! Really had a good feeling today that he'd do it and it couldn't have been any tighter!

Tbh I was surprised the margin between Paddy and Jackie was as close as it was, obviously Jackie and her team did a great job in rallying voters to her side. Fair play to her on that.

5 votes in the difference. 5 sabbatical officers who shouldn't be able to vote could have been that difference. i don't see any reason why a sabbatical officer should have a vote in a su election.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Fair play Adam. Hopefully you can follow up on this because it's a huge issue

Our SU elections in comparison to every other University in the country are a joke

Congratulations on the victory

I think if we compare our polling results last year to other colleges then we are right up there but this year I think the week has been extremely affected by having Monday off. Having been involved in the previous 2 elections prior to this, I can safely say this was by far the quietest.

That said, these sort of issues are quite easily fixed. Next year we will take into perspective that Paddy's day will be on the Sunday and as such, the Monday will be a bank holiday again and so we should arrange elections so as they do not occur on the same week again as this really does impact on a candidates ability to both prepare and campaign.

Thanks for the congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I just want to make one last comment on elections 2012.

I'm ecstatic for those who were elected into office today but a pretty large part of my is so disappointed I didn't get the chance to campaign for the one and only Jason Kennedy this year. He's an amazing guy and I think ULSU is losing one of it's best people come May.

• Advertisement

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I just want to make one last comment on elections 2012.

I'm ecstatic for those who were elected into office today but a pretty large part of my is so disappointed I didn't get the chance to campaign for the one and only Jason Kennedy this year. He's an amazing guy and I think ULSU is losing one of it's best people come May.

Here here,

Was very interested in seeing what Jason would do with An Focal

Advertisement