Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortage of UPC Digital + HD boxes?

Options
  • 02-02-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Rang UPC today looking to upgrade to their HD box but was told that they have a problem with supply from asia, I get the imoression that they will not be getting any HD boxs for some months and are trying to keep this quiet. Anyone any info on this, I'm thinking of changing to sky if I have to wait too long for UPC to get a supply of HD boxs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Cable & MMDS & IPTV

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Hopefully they're updating the HD box.. I've had 3 faulty boxes in the last year. Getting annoying at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If there out of stock, it mat be a sign tha the Horizion isn't to far off.

timeLine looks right: http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2011/02/16/delay-for-upc-horizon-box/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I got told the same thing today by the loyalty team. They blamed the weather in Asia for delayed shipments?? Is it typhoon season down there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nehpets5555

They told me today that their factory in asia got wrecked in floods, which is why they wont have them for some time. Which sucks cause i was looking to upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭rgfuller

My own HD box failed last week and I'm waiting for stock to get a replacement, so it seems there is definitely a supply issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Happydays123

There is deffinetly a supply problem, byt the issue that i have is that they are not telling the fully story to avoid people switching to sky, I think it will be some months before they get any supply of these boxes and they know thos but are failing to tell their customers as they are afraid that they will switch to sky, I for one will not waite too long and am looking at switching to sky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

There is deffinetly a supply problem, byt the issue that i have is that they are not telling the fully story to avoid people switching to sky, I think it will be some months before they get any supply of these boxes and they know thos but are failing to tell their customers as they are afraid that they will switch to sky, I for one will not waite too long and am looking at switching to sky

Guys, Hard disks which are in ALL digital+ and HD boxes are in extremely small supply since the floods in Thailand. Manufacturers are nowhere near the production levels they were at this time last year. Consequently, the price of a hard disk has gone through the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've been told there a shortage of Shortage of UPC Digital + HD boxes? Is this accurate or am I being fobbed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Mentioned in another thread.

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks for that!

Didn't come up when I searched for it. I guess I just have to wait. Make sense I wasn't thinking about the HD shortage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

UPC twitter accounts announcing that you can drop your unused UPC boxes into certain Carphone Warehouse stores.

Maybe if they had collected their boxes over the years they wouldn't have this supply issue as they would have a stockpile of refurbs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Incidently I ordered new boxes recently and got (non-DVR) HD boxes, even though I don't have a HD subscription. The DVR box I did order wasn't HD, oddly!

The good news is that these boxes have HDMI-out which can be used even if you don't have HD. The bad news is that both the analogue pass-through and SCART pass-through have been dropped on these boxes (which are quite small, around the size of the small grey NTL boxes).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Rang them up the other day asking for a HD box and they said they don't know when they will have them

Wanted them for the Euros so lets hope they get them in before then:rolleyes:

Is there the same shortage on Sky I wonder?

Any updates on this, anyone get a + box recently

anyone get a + box recently

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm sure it's not due to a re-engineering of the awful software on them :p

Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭rgfuller

BostonB wrote: »
    Any updates on this, anyone get a + box recently

Yep. I got a replacement one a couple of weeks ago (plus 2 months of my package free for the inconvenience), the engineer did mention they were still in short supply but expected it to get better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

rgfuller wrote: »
    Yep. I got a replacement one a couple of weeks ago (plus 2 months of my package free for the inconvenience), the engineer did mention they were still in short supply but expected it to get better soon.

My friend ordered a second Digital+ box for his home today by phone. Didn't have any issues.

Thanks for the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

rgfuller wrote: »

two free months can mean you are locked into a 12 month contract - be careful of that.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Moved the posts relating to RTÉ Two HD to the merged thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Ken bryan

Dont waste your time Getting a upc Hd Box .
    I have one

There is a large Jump in sound between . The hd channels and normal Channels .
    Rte hd Is ok . But Discovey etc . The sound Jumps so much that .
    I am now getting seriously thinking about Getting rid of It .
    It not worth the Money .
    Esp If the speakers Go your 1600 euro Worth Of Tv .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the HD sound from the hd channels is the best, I have it going through an AV system adn much prefer the hd channels.

not many people spend €1600 on a TV without getting an AV system.

Advertisement