Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We put a man on the moon?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Bear Grylls knows what he is doing too, his shows are just designed to be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

joshrogan wrote: »
    It's a shame we don't spend more on space exploration considering it's necessary for the survival of the human race after all.

Space residental tax anyone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Is it true that the computer they used to go to the moon was something like a 64 GB type thing? If that's true, that's pretty nuts.
    Nope. More like 74 kilobytes of ram on the LEM. Waking your smart phone from sleep likely takes more. Just goes to show it's not the capacity, it's all about what you do with it. Doesn't work for engines or willes so much. Generally with them a big un is better than a small un. :D
    Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Ah now Ray is the real deal to be fair, it's Bear "anyone seen my bottle of urine" Grylls that's the darling of B&Bs around the world. The world would be a better place with a bit more Ray Mears in it.
    +10000000

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

The moon doesn't even exist. It's just a big light shining up in the sky, done to comfort us.. like a nightlight for humans.
    :eek: maybe we are all part of "The Truman Show"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not a whole lot of economic benefit to going to the moon right now, frankly. They keep sending probes up and such to search for water and all, but until they have a reasonable, long term strategy for how to economize it, nobody is going back up there. Nevermind that back when they did it the math involved had to be absolutely boggling and there was no room for errors. But just developing the capsule and the procedures takes years and would cost billions.

Ignore the majority of the science and just think about this: you had to detach from your orbiting ship, land, then ascend later in such a way that you rendezvous with your still orbiting ship before flying back to earth. I mean seriously, what happens if you, or the orbiter, drift apart by a couple miles when all this is going on? you'd be fcuked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_orbit_rendezvous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

irish-stew wrote: »
    Answer. A TV studio.

;)
    cassel16 wrote: »
    That never happened....
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    It never happened. Forget about it.

lol wut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

delw wrote: »
    The moon doesn't even exist. It's just a big light shining up in the sky, done to comfort us.. like a nightlight for humans.
    :eek: maybe we are all part of "The Truman Show"

You didn't know?

Well this is awkward...

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

chin_grin wrote: »
    And why hasn't it been done again eh? They just keep sending all these "unmanned" satellites up there to spy on us. The mind boggles.

The Americans beat the Russians there and didn't care much after that. Now though the Chinese want to send man to the moon so I guess round 2 is under way.

Mightn't be a person though;

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2108652,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Is it true that the computer they used to go to the moon was something like a 64 GB type thing? If that's true, that's pretty nuts.
    Read-only storage on the Apollo Guidance Computer was 32K. 2 million or so of those gets you 64GB. Linky here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I brought the kids to an "Apollo" touring museum thingy in London where they had a full sized replica of the lunar module. As a fairly competent type when it comes to building stuff, I left thinking "feck off lads, ye did in yer shyte". 1.it was tiny - where'd ya keep the lunar rover lads, on the roof-rack? 2. It costs an arm and a leg to send 1kg into space - that "lunar rover" looked like a two post lift would struggle to lift it. 3.The "capsule" looked like somthing my kids would build in the kitchen to act the bollix in, re-entry me hole, ye'd a fried lads, come on, pull the other one. It's a bit like your small, scrawny mate with the dodgy moustache telling you he pulled Maria Sharapova last night at the local flea-pit,... you just kinda take a look and go "ye did yeah...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

cassel16 wrote: »
    That never happened....

FFS "That never happened".

How do you explain this then.

Some people on here just piss me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Robotic exploration comes at a fraction of the price and no risk to humans. You could probably land robotic vehicles on every solid planet in the solar system for the cost of a manned mission to Mars (complete guess).

Sending men to Mars would be a prestige thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

More than forty years since humans first went to the moon and yet no human being - not a single one in all of our history! - has ever left the vicinity of the Earth-moon system. We need to sort our stuff out; time and Earth-wrecking supernovae wait for no man. Time we were thinking about another Giant Leap, perhaps.

The Onion apparently had some succinct thoughts on the original moon landing. ;)
    Link here, not for the prudish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We put a man on the moon ....... yet 40 yrs later can't produce a packet of biscuits in a supermarket that when you get home haven't got 20% of them broken to bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Pottler wrote: »
    I brought the kids to an "Apollo" touring museum thingy in London where they had a full sized replica of the lunar module. As a fairly competent type when it comes to building stuff, I left thinking "feck off lads, ye did in yer shyte". 1.it was tiny - where'd ya keep the lunar rover lads, on the roof-rack? 2. It costs an arm and a leg to send 1kg into space - that "lunar rover" looked like a two post lift would struggle to lift it. 3.The "capsule" looked like somthing my kids would build in the kitchen to act the bollix in, re-entry me hole, ye'd a fried lads, come on, pull the other one. It's a bit like your small, scrawny mate with the dodgy moustache telling you he pulled Maria Sharapova last night at the local flea-pit,... you just kinda take a look and go "ye did yeah...."

Yeah, I heard Buzz Aldrin say once that a light jab from a pencil could of punctured the wall of the lunar module.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You're more of an expert than NASA on space exploration because you're fairly competent when it comes to building stuff, yeah?

Strictly speaking, the LM was constructed by [Northrop] Grumman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Ruskies sent two lunar rovers up. one lasted 9 months driving around. Tech was years ahead of its time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

I dunno about the moon but I can tell you Ireland must be the only country that have their Government on CLOUD 9.Its a pity we cant give all of them a oneway ticket to Iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

It was a soundstage on Mars!!

Also this is Charlie Duke's photo of his family that he left on the moon during Apollo 16, faded by now but still pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

We put a man on the moon................... When did we do that Ted:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

irish-stew wrote: »
    Answer. A TV studio.

;)

say that to Buzz

I dare you, I double dare you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I brought the kids to an "Apollo" touring museum thingy in London where they had a full sized replica of the lunar module. As a fairly competent type when it comes to building stuff, I left thinking "feck off lads, ye did in yer shyte".
    :pac: Oh god. I so hope this is in jest.
    1. it was tiny - where'd ya keep the lunar rover lads, on the roof-rack?
    Nope folded up in one of the compartments in the base of the LEM. For your delectation...

2. It costs an arm and a leg to send 1kg into space - that "lunar rover" looked like a two post lift would struggle to lift it.
    The Saturn V rocket was the most powerful and biggest launch vehicle brought to operational use. The most powerful manmade transport system in history. Even then what ended up on the moon was tiny.
    3.The "capsule" looked like somthing my kids would build in the kitchen to act the bollix in, re-entry me hole, ye'd a fried lads, come on,
    The LEM didn't return to earth. The command module did. The LEM was the only true spacecraft we've yet flown as a species, hence it looks odd and didn't need the extras of a craft that flew in atmosphere.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,933 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If you believe they put a man on the moon....man on the moon
    If you believe there's nothing up their sleeve
    Then nothing is cool

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back in 1966 NASA were spending 4.41% of US Fed. Budget.

up to $5,933 Billion a year

Back when gas cost 32c a gallon

It's simple physics, 3039 tonnes of Saturn V takes off, and less than 0.2% of it makes it back

It was simply a case of throwing enough money at a well understood engineering problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The main problems were keeping the men alive.

The moon missions were pointless projects with very little scientific merit, done mainly to piss off the Russians. The money could have been spent so much better.

Yeah, at best it was an exercise to see if it was even possible. Now, they have to find actual reasons to go up there, that aren't just for collecting moon dust, having moon picnics, or playing moon golf on national television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the irish are making plans to send a man to the sun

begob

Advertisement