Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimp or Gorilla

Options
  • 08-03-2012 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

According to new research, scientists have discovered that human genes are more closely similar to those of the gorilla than the chimpanzee. WOW

So now no more acting the chimp, be a gorilla :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What research? Y U no linky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Is there a source for this tidbit of information that has me aghast and agape with pure joy? (-_-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Do I still get to throw my feces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Bollox really, remember we 98% of our DNA with a rat.

But real men are closer to rats then gorillas.

Just think a person with Downs Syndrome has a slight difference of DNA then the "normal population" and you can see the difference that makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Well, I do have a friend who we call Magilla Gorilla because he's so damn hairy.

I guess now it counts as a compliment :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

That's bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Can you (silver)back up that info?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Can you (silver)back up that info?
    get out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Link? I thought we were closer to chimps than chimps were to gorillas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Redman always said

"if you gonna be a monkey, be a mutha funkin gorrila"

He was right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

WindSock wrote: »
    Link? I thought we were closer to chimps than chimps were to gorillas.

Well us and chimps evolved from the same ape but we don't know what that ape was. That is the current thought in a science that keeps changing, perhaps if we see the link gorillas also branched from that same ape.

If you got all the human ancestral fossils in museums all over the world, that wouldn't even fill a pick up truck. Human ancestral or ascendancy fossils are rare, the ones they have are studied to every bare milimetre of them.

So the whole science can change with the unearthing and study of a newly found fossil.

Its a fascinating study, a pet interest of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

no wonder people love gorilla warfare :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

This will confuse creationists.

FatherLen wrote: »

Its confusing alright but we are still closer to Chimps
    In 30 percent of the genome, the study determined that gorillas are closer to humans and chimpanzees than the latter two are to each other. It’s a finding that may help scientists track changes in how the species have responded over time to shared genetic characteristics, including diseases, the researchers said.
    Humans overall are still closer to chimpanzees in 70 percent of the genome, said study author Aylwyn Scally, a postdoctoral fellow at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute.

It just means or confirms Gorillas are also a distant relative but not as distant as once thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I'd prefer to be related to the funky gibbon than the gorilla !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

BluesBerry wrote: »
    or the fu*kin bonobo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

or the fu*kin bonobo

We are more closely related to the slutty Bonobos than Gorilla's, still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Tough call - chimps are cuter but gorillas are furry and cuddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

FatherLen wrote: »
    get out!
    I'm leaving.

I was only swinging by anyways. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

But what about this photographic evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

It's pretty easy to understand. Aliens came down and had sex with the apes and then genetically modified the results and hey presto Adam and Eve are having the sesh in the garden of eden. I saw it on the History Channel.

Bonobos are the cutest of the bunch, they're not known to attack each other unlike chimps.

pandaboy wrote: »
    It's pretty easy to understand. Aliens came down and had sex with the apes and then genetically modified the results and hey presto Adam and Eve are having the sesh in the garden of eden. I saw it on the History Channel.

Bonobos are the cutest of the bunch, they're not known to attack each other unlike chimps.

Aliens?? our genomes would be to far apart, you wouldn't even get a hybrid with even a lot of manipulation.

But you would have a good time;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

BluesBerry wrote: »

Its new then old world monkeys, gibbons, orang utan, then gorilla, then chimp,

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

According to new research, scientists have discovered that human genes are more closely similar to those of the gorilla than the chimpanzee. WOW

So now no more acting the chimp, be a gorilla :p

Link and peer reviewed paper please! Was it based on genetic or molecular studies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Guys, take a walk around Balbriggan on dole day and you will see some examples of these people..

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

44leto wrote: »
    Just think a person with Downs Syndrome has a slight difference of DNA then the "normal population" and you can see the difference that makes.

It's an extra chromosome genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The important question is how does information change into something completely new on it's journey down the optic nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

From Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z, no you'll never make a monkey out of me...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dudess wrote: »
    Tough call - chimps are cuter but gorillas are furry and cuddly.
    Bonobos are cute,

adult chimps are evil

gorillas are sound

Have they sequenced the DNA of bonobos yet to find out the difference between them and chimps ?

Advertisement