Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Been chatting to two cool ladies for the last week or so and have a date with at least one of them next week some of the evenings.Both interesting,both hawt so no complaints atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Galvasean wrote: »
    I have come to the opinion that women on these sites are only contacting me to pass the time. Nobody seems willing to 'take the next step' ie: organize an actual date these days. It's all message for a few days, followed by scarpering at the idea of meeting up.
    It just seems hard to find people that want to date (irony of ironies). Anyone else in a similar boat?

Hmm I get ya, but you don't get a date just from them reading the profile and seeing a pic. In my opinion, if they want to meet you they'll meet you. I don't think there are that many people who have just the intention to message, and that people might think there are time wasters because they don't come out and say they're not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭fire_man

I am meeting a girl for the firt time this wkend,we have been messaging for a couple of weeks.Im very nervous about it.Were meeting in a pub.Should i kiss her on check when i meet her or shake or hand?How long should i spend with her on first date etc?

If you have been messaging for a while I would always give a quick embrace and a peck on the cheek.I think things like a handshake are very very formal.

Thats if you are meeting her outside the pub,inside it may be a tad awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I have come to the opinion that women on these sites are only contacting me to pass the time. Nobody seems willing to 'take the next step' ie: organize an actual date these days. It's all message for a few days, followed by scarpering at the idea of meeting up.
    It just seems hard to find people that want to date (irony of ironies). Anyone else in a similar boat?

I thought it was just me, didn't think online dating sites were for penpals :confused:

• Advertisement

Pembily wrote: »
    I thought it was just me, didn't think online dating sites were for penpals :confused:

Well there is a "talk/email, friends" option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Samich wrote: »
    Well there is a "talk/email, friends" option :)

But I don't have it ticked!

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭fire_man

the girl im meeting is about a half an hour a away,should i meet her at a bar near her or should i ask her to meet half way?

fire_man wrote: »
    the girl im meeting is about a half an hour a away,should i meet her at a bar near her or should i ask her to meet half way?

Half an hour isn't much, go to near her I'd say?

Personally I always tell them I will meet them where ever suits them best.Leave it in her hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

Sure tell her you dont mind meeting her near her place or somewhere else if she prefers, gives her the choice then!

EDIT: Sorry Otis, wasn't copying you, internet connection is very slow at the min!

careymary wrote: »
    Sure tell her you dont mind meeting her near her place or somewhere else if she prefers, gives her the choice then!

EDIT: Sorry Otis, wasn't copying you, internet connection is very slow at the min!

Great minds eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I am meeting a girl for the firt time this wkend,we have been messaging for a couple of weeks.Im very nervous about it.Were meeting in a pub.Should i kiss her on check when i meet her or shake or hand?How long should i spend with her on first date etc?

Hmm I don't think I've been greeted any of those ways when meeting up with someone. Its always been "hey" and walk into the bar or whatever. I didn't see anything wrong with this as I was only meeting them for the first time. I'd be more more worried about how you're gonna end the date! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Yes. That has happened me a few times messaging and then mention meeting and then nothing. Now everyone i get into contact with i just don't expect anything.
    Larianne wrote: »
    Hmm I don't think I've been greeted any of those ways when meeting up with someone. Its always been "hey" and walk into the bar or whatever. I didn't see anything wrong with this as I was only meeting them for the first time. I'd be more more worried about how you're gonna end the date! pacman.gif

I'd be more comfortable like that also as in i wouldn't want to go straight for a kiss at first meeting because it could get awkward.

finipops wrote: »
    I'd be more comfortable like that also as in i wouldn't want to go straight for a kiss at first meeting because it could get awkward.

With nerves involved, it could get quite awkward!! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

i have a hot 18 year old cracking onto me atm.
    On a darker note, im really sick of guys asking for my picture on this site. I wont be giving it out again. Some of them wont even share their emails. And usually they see me and run, which is mad.
    Ive really had enough of it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Yes, you've got the 18 year old. He'll have lots of energy and exciting dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Met my first ever girl from a dating site last week. From POF, we were texting a few weeks. She's cute and interesting and we both had a good time. From texting since though I feel as tho it's gone strange, maybe its just me. Like earlier I text her to ask her how her day was and she replied but never asked the same. Then I text to say I'd ring her later, she said ok but she has work later, I did, no answer and no text at all since. She did say she was going to work but I rang a good 40 mins before that. From past experience she doesn't seem to like texting when she's out...

Maybe I'm looking too much into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

awec wrote: »
    Don't try and apply reasoning to people not replying / replying late to texts.

Take it from me, you'll only drive yourself insane.

Great advice. Especially if you're someone who responds promptly. For years I was the type to over think someone not replying... now I still do it, but I stop my madness with the ol' "some people are just crap at communicating".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was going to try reading through this thread and the old one, but 14,000 posts is too much for one day! :P

I'm thinking of setting up a profile on either POF or OKCupid. I had an old profile on Zoosk for a while years ago, but I'm not going back to that.

Is there any advice I should take on board, or should I just fire ahead with a few nice photos and make a bit of effort filling out the profile?

Couple of decent photos and a decent profile.Then wait for the rejections and ignored messages to flood in.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Looking forward to date 5 with my lady friend. This dating a a new woman lark is getting expensive though. :o She quite happily pays for her share by the way, just going out in Dub is still bloody expensive regardless! :eek:

We both live at home with parents, and a free house is a huge rarity, would love to have a relaxing night in with a dvd and some wine, maybe cook her up something nice for dinner, but it's unlikely to be easily "timetabled" for want of a better expression.
    I guess that's my roundabout way of saying to myself:
    "Damn, I really want date 6..... to be cheap" :pac:

IO, stick a few photos up - 3 is good.

Then write a few things about yourself - what you're at, your interests. Expand on them a little bit each. As in, if you like music write what type, the bands you like and if you like going to gigs etc.

Also, try to have a bit of humour in your profile if possible. And maybe at the end, what type of person you're hoping to meet on the site.

If you have an interesting hobby or make an interesting statement it allows the ladies to compose a question to ask you. But each to their own of course. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

GrumPy wrote: »
    Looking forward to date 5 with my lady friend. This dating a a new woman lark is getting expensive though. :o She quite happily pays for her share by the way, just going out in Dub is still bloody expensive regardless! :eek:

We both live at home with parents, and a free house is a huge rarity, would love to have a relaxing night in with a dvd and some wine, maybe cook her up something nice for dinner, but it's unlikely to be easily "timetabled" for want of a better expression.
    I tell ya, You're doing good nearly 5 dates in and it's still going only a matter of time before she's your girlfriend!:p;)

GrumPy wrote: »

Ah here, get outta this thread! :pac:

The Science Gallery at Trinity is an option for a cheap date - its free in and there's an exhibtion about Food on at the moment. (As a TCD student of 3 years, for shame I have yet to go to any of the exhibits!) You could do lunch there at the coffee shop after, or the cafe at the NAtional Art Gallery around the corner is meant to be lovely!

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I look to see what I can talk to them about, so the more that's there the better!

Well now, I don't like to read essays. But I think 5-6 short paragraphs to read is enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement