Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capcom announce tournament series with $500,000 in prize support

Options
  • 21-02-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭

Link here

WOW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Holy crap.

Did you guys watch the Cross Counter Live episode where the head of MLG said Capcom wouldn't have anything to do with them?

I bet this was why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

"Guy, Cody, Dudley, Elena, Sakura and Blanka join the Street Fighter cast, while the Tekken side gains Alisa Bosconovitch, Bryan Fury, Christie Monteiro, Jack, Lars Alexandersson and Lei Wulong. "

19 Vita exclusive characters. What the ****.

That's at least two packs of DLC characters for the home consoles since Alisa, Christie, Cody and Guy were leaked for one DLC pack. Sounds like it could be 3 packs if they're putting four in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Christ, that's a lot of money.

As for the Vita chars, WHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

As for the Vita chars, WHY?

Hardware manufacturers are always looking for "exclusives" for their new platforms and will pay software companies a large payment up front for the content.
    Usually its a 1 month exclusive on the content, so we might have to wait a bit to get those characters :( Hopefully its not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ban all paid-DLC characters TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I am very concerned about the cost of all this DLC.

It's going to put tournament organisers in awkward situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Ban all DLC. Only option.

Edit : Regarding the tournament I always hate the X amount in prize support from a publisher. It is still a great amount and it's good to see but a lot of it is going to be over-exaggerated pricing on stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Oh look it's a small fraction of the money they're ripping from us on DLC characters coming back. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Ban DLC gems, allow DLC characters.

That's the best option in my opinion but I can see Evo rules/general tournament rules being allow all DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Serious milking going on, it all looks like some kinda of pokemon game.
    SWAP YOUR GEMS NOW

CharCard.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Why ban dlc characters? We have never done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Placebo wrote: »
    SWAP YOUR GEMS NOW

CharCard.jpg
    blastoise+original+pokemon+card.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

GorySnake wrote: »

That's the best option in my opinion but I can see Evo rules/general tournament rules being allow all DLC.

They need to to ensure future support from Capcom.

Personally I'm on the Ban all DLC side of things.

Also if characters are drip fed it's going to ruin the first year of tournaments.

Placebo wrote: »
    SWAP YOUR GEMS NOW

Weren't you the one telling us to stop whining a couple of weeks ago? :D

The sad thing is, I played the game for a good couple of hours and its lots of fun. It just doesn't need all this crap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I know, but back then it was all about gems, not 100 DLC characters and some exclusive to VITA too !? Sure throw in some DLC pandora attacks too.
    Just feel a bit overwhelmed with the scope of things to come.

The worst part is many of the prominent members of the FGC won't say anything because they are so desperate for the Benjamins.

Ultra David is one exception.

I can't wait for this game to come out.

Not so I can play it, so that people can stop whining about this post-apocalyptic future they see being caused by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

In fairness Dave this game could turn out to be a logistical nightmare. Maybe Capcom will do a season pass like Gears has or like COD Elite.

In fairness Dave this game could turn out to be a logistical nightmare. Maybe Capcom will do a season pass like Gears has or like COD Elite.

It could, or it could end up being a complete non-issue like the easy operation controls in Marvel 3 and TvC. Those had a ridiculous amount of bitching around them before the games came out, which was instantly forgotten about on release day (just as an example).

Once SFxT comes out, if it's godawful to run tournaments on, people might have legitimate complaints, based on facts, that I will probably agree with.

BEFORE SFxT comes out, people need chill out.

Its the bitching that led capcom to develop a free tournament mode DLC and give the ability to have custom gems load-outs stored on flash drives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

They need to to ensure future support from Capcom.

What kind of support to Capcom give?

Besides this big 500k tournament

Its the bitching that led capcom to develop a free tournament mode DLC and give the ability to have custom gems load-outs stored on flash drives.

Or they were going to do it anyway, and only presented the details in advance of release to try and quell the bitching.

Unless someone who worked internally on the project can and will tell us what went on behind the scenes, we can't say for sure what actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It could, or it could end up being a complete non-issue like the easy operation controls in Marvel 3 and TvC. Those had a ridiculous amount of bitching around them before the games came out, which was instantly forgotten about on release day (just as an example).

Once SFxT comes out, if it's godawful to run tournaments on, people might have legitimate complaints, based on facts, that I will probably agree with.

BEFORE SFxT comes out, people need chill out.

It's going to a logistical nightmare. With this much DLC needed there will no effcient way to run a tournament for this game.

We've run into issues running Blazblue tournaments and that has 5(?) DLC characters. This is going to have more characters and the gems.

I'm all for the not bitching about the game to a massive extent and I'm not particularly happy with gems,pandora etc. but I'll deal until I play the game. However the amount of DLC in this game will make offline tournaments a pain.

Comparing it to simple mode doesn't cut it. That's a mode in the game. It's there and it's available. I remember the bitching and it was stupid. A far better comparsion is to put it against the Marvel DLC characters. There was an issue previously where a Marvel tournament didn't have the DLC and someone called them on it. That was here and that was with 2 characters. I had a quick look but I can't find it. Now it wasn't particularly serious but then it's two characters that no-one plays as opposed to my pre-order autoblock gem which isn't available because the TO pre-ordered with Game and not Gamestop.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

(1.) Ban DLC/Pre-Orer/Special/Collectors Editions Gems, if they are proven to offer an advantage over the default gems.

(2.) Permit DLC characters, but tournament organizers are not obligated to provide them. The players that use them can bring them in on memory sticks.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Azza wrote: »
    (2.) Permit DLC characters, but tournament organizers are not obligated to provide them. The players that use them can bring them in on memory sticks.

Which may not work unless the profile is signed in to Xbox Live at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Plus there's only 3 USB ports on a 360, so if two people need to use separate DLC characters and two sticks that's even more of a pain - would have to move the profiles and copy the DLC on to the console and then move the profile back off afterwards.

I'm sure between all of us in the community someone will be able to provide all the character DLC on a memory stick to transfer to 1 or 2 of the the Xboxes.

Maybe capcom will show some arcade edition style cop on and release a GOTY style release of SFxT with all the gems and characters later on.

Because otherwise this is sounding more and more horrid for tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Azza wrote: »
    I'm sure between all of us in the community someone will be able to provide all the character DLC on a memory stick to transfer to 1 or 2 of the the Xboxes.

Aye. I think its too early to be worrying about this anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah, like if the game is good I'll get all the DLC characters and provide them for transfer if nessecary. I'm sure their will be a few others that would do the same.

We could also look at the possibility of using community money (if any spare) to get the DLC characters for people who provide the Xbox's for tournaments (assuming they have the game to begin with).

Advertisement