Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man who knocked down burglar in court

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Icepick wrote: »
    Why is this country so scumbag-friendly?
    I ask myself that same question...

I had to got to court once for a traffic offence. Passed over continuous white line thinking it was a discontinuous (just so happens it was continuous for me and discontinuous for oncoming traffic). Brain fart. Had just come back from trip on the mainland where I was driving on the right hand side of the road...

Anyway, was arrested and brought to court. I wore my best suit for court and it turns out I was the only one wearing one! The rest of the people in court that day were proper "howayaz" wearing tracksuits and not a bit nervous of being there! i wanted to vomit I was so stressed...

Anyway, the 20 or so cases before mine were all for offenses such as stealing, setting fire to cars, causing damage to property, stealing cars, etc etc and the judge was only awarding €20 EUR fines here and €40 EUR fines there. He even knew some of them by their first name as they seemed to be in court every week! So I thought to myself "Wow! This judge is sound! This might be alright after all!".

But you should have seen the way he changed the instant he saw me and heard why I was in court! It was as if I'd raped his daughter or something! :eek:

The Guards had actually "downgraded" my offence from "Dangerous Driving" to "Driving without due Care and Attention" after my lawyer contacted the arresting officer to explain my side of the story so I thought at least my licence was safe but the judge wanted to ban me! :eek: For a stupid mistake (my first might I add) I admitted making! I'm not saying what I did wasn't serious but I had been in Ireland for over 11 years at that stage, always in gainful employment, contributing to society and not causing any harm to anybody...

So my lawyer pleaded with him (as she knew I needed my licence to get to and from work) and he seemed to drop the idea of banning me but not before saying "He woudn't have done that in France!" (...).

And then he asked "How much do you make a week?". Just like that. My lawyer asked me and gave him the response. He gave me a €500 fine (10 times more than any other fine he gave that day) and 6 points.

I was sickened by this "justice" system... There are obviously two justice systems in Ireland. One ultra-lenient for the scum and one extremely strict for the rest of us who actually try to live our lives the right way.

It's the first time I tell this story come to think of it. It was quite a traumatic experience for me and I'm happy it's behind me! And I certainly hope I never have to deal with the Irish "Justice" system again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

zenno wrote: »
    You took that up wrong sir. what I mean is women are more inclined to retreat.

Maybe, I don't know, everyone's different. I think more men might be more likely to attempt to take some action against a burglar, but I don't think most men would chase after a burglar in a car and leave their family at home alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Just can not understand this guy got rewarded for going into a bedroom and rob
    if he was not robbing he would have not got hurt end off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Maybe, I don't know, everyone's different. I think more men might be more likely to attempt to take some action against a burglar, but I don't think most men would chase after a burglar in a car and leave their family at home alone.

In the face of danger or a threat to your safety or that of your family, the fight-or-flight response kicks in.

Its a measureable response, and completely involuntary. Release of various chemicals etc. You can't say how you would react unless you are put in that situation.

And yes, men and women experience it differently because we have totally different physiology and psychology. Im not being sexist; these things have been hard-wired into us for hundreds of thousands of years, a couple of hundred years of 'civilised' society cant possibly override it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

This is a point that was made earlier, as this home owner was in shock and never for a second did he realize he was leaving his family on their own so in the case i am making, he was in shock as I can understand and wanted to stop this person for arrest when the gardai arrived.

This man could be the most relaxed and caring person you could know as like many men out there with a family but in a situation like this it can change you just for those couple of minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Anyway, was arrested and brought to court. I wore my best suit for court and it turns out I was the only one wearing one! The rest of the people in court that day were proper "howayaz" wearing tracksuits and not a bit nervous of being there! i wanted to vomit I was so stressed...

What were you arrested for?

You committed the crime btw but the law is wrong. You know how many road deaths are in Ireland every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

I hate all these people who say its not right to hurt these scumbags, thats just pure "peace man lets talk it over b.s" if it was you who was broken into or family id think you would have a different point of view , if it was me I would have driven over him then reversed to finish the job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

In the face of danger or a threat to your safety or that of your family, the fight-or-flight response kicks in.

Its a measureable response, and completely involuntary. Release of various chemicals etc. You can't say how you would react unless you are put in that situation.

And yes, men and women experience it differently because we have totally different physiology and psychology. Im not being sexist; these things have been hard-wired into us for hundreds of thousands of years, a couple of hundred years of 'civilised' society cant possibly override it.

I don't think the fight-or-flight response fully explains his actions though.

It would certainly explain anyone taking on a burglar while in their presence, or in this case it might explain the idea of chasing the burglar but not, in my opinion, continuing to chase him and knocking him down twice.
    zenno wrote: »
    This is a point that was made earlier, as this home owner was in shock and never for a second did he realize he was leaving his family on their own so in the case i am making, he was in shock as I can understand and wanted to stop this person for arrest when the gardai arrived.

This man could be the most relaxed and caring person you could know as like many men out there with a family but in a situation like this it can change you just for those couple of minutes.

Again, he was definitely emotionally compromised and that should be taken into account, but I believe what he did required too much thought to be entirely put down to shock or instinct.

He's not a bad man, and he certainly wasn't thinking straight, but you just can't drive after people and try to stop them with your car, even if you only mean to knock them over and not hurt them, and I don't think most people in his position would do what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

and I don't think most people in his position would do what he did.

Who's to know what you would do in that situation.

Anyway I wish the man best of luck tomorrow and hope he's acquitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

hondasam wrote: »

You committed the crime btw but the law is wrong. You know how many road deaths are in Ireland every year?

It would appear he understated his crime. It was not simply crossing a continuous line. He obviously did so at a very dangerous time or in a dangerous manner, and probably in view of the gardai too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The guy involved must be an awfully pathetic excuse of a criminal, If he ran over you or me in a car and we went to the Gardaí to press charges we would be labelled as rats or snitches but this clown rats out a man whom minutes early he was trying to steal from !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

charlemont wrote: »
    The guy involved must be an awfully pathetic excuse of a criminal, !!

Na, I'd say the driver should go to specsavers, he knocks the other guy down twice, twice and he still 'misses' but eh burglar needn't work another day in his life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

How do you know that those are not the actions of someone consumed by temporary insanity ? Something completely changed this man's character in those 5 minutes.

This defense at a jury trial might have gotten him off, TBH. Especially in the US.

Then again, in the U.S., the burglar probably would have gotten his head blown off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I feel that once you commit a crime against a fellow citizen, you surrender all your civil liberties.

If anyone ever breaks into mine, i'd like to think i'll be calling an ambulance after i run them through with the old bass guitar sitting on my landing.

If they don't break in, violate my privacy, endanger my family and destroy my property they won't get hit with it. Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I hope the owner countersues for €175,000 in damages for post traumatic stress, breach of privacy etc.

The homeowner wasn't trying to kill him. He was in his bare feet so it's not really an option to go running after the scum to tackle him to the ground. As he said, he was just trying to box the scum in with his car, but there was a collision. I can't see how intent to cause harm could be proved.

I hope the scumbag burglars injuries cause him pain for life. Sorry if that doesn't seem 'fair' or 'just' but I'm sick of living in a society that protects these scum so I welcome a little injustice against them. They are nothing but a cancer on society.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

So the victim is now the criminal?

This old man has done what we all would love to do if a scumbag lowlife broke into your house. Tho once I ran he over the first time, I would bring him back to the house and kick the living **** out of him there. Then call the cops.

Either-way he should get a medal. Trophy if he had finished him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

gbee wrote: »
    Na, I'd say the driver should go to specsavers, he knocks the other guy down twice, twice and he still 'misses' but eh burglar needn't work another day in his life

Almost guaranteed this money will be a curse on him, An idiot like that with a large sum of cash is a bookies/drug dealers/barmans dream. It will be squandered and the clown will be broke within two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

hondasam wrote: »

"Dangerous Driving" was the charge.
    MagicSean wrote: »
    It would appear he understated his crime. It was not simply crossing a continuous line. He obviously did so at a very dangerous time or in a dangerous manner, and probably in view of the gardai too.
    I did not understate my crime. I passed over continuous white line and yes, it was in full view of a Gardai motorcycle officer.

Don't get me wrong, I deserved every bit of what I got! Even a driving ban would have been justified for what I did.

What bothered me was how much more stern the justice I had to face was for a driving offence (and an accidental one at that - it's not like I purposefully passed over continuous white) compared to the lenient justice the repeat offenders who purposefully commit crimes have to face.

I know society expects more of law-abiding citizens who are gainfully employed and function adequately in society than it does of small time criminals living off the state who generally cause harm to others but this doesn't mean I should be judged to a different standard by what should be, an equal justice system for all...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Is 'endangerment' not a lesser charge than assault?

the victim was reckless trying to herd the scumbag with his car, but this was a very aggrevated action in response to a violation of the home.

I understand why society has to find the victim of burglary guilty. And a suspended sentance would suffice. But the burgler should not profit from consequences of his thuggery.

Did the burglar serve time for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

The amount of people on here who think a death sentence is appropriate for a burglary is just scary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Harming someone by running them over twice in your car just because they robbed some of your jewels is not okay imo. Both him and the burglar are scumbags imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I feel that once you commit a crime against a fellow citizen, you surrender all your civil liberties.

And you don't consider it a crime to deliberately run someone over in your car or does he lose his civil liberties too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

i think victims of crime should start suing the government for failing them.

i read all the time in the paper about how scumbags have 20, 30, 40, 50 + previous convictions, why aren't these people locked up for serious lengths of time.

its why most american states have the 3 strike rule... they respect and protect the citizens right to live and work in a safe free environment. so if your a habitual criminal, bye bye, see you in 20 years, no parole.

clearly, our wonderful government are failing us again, instead they permanently want to protect the scum. start taking there legal aid and fines from there benefits.

legal aid also seems a joke, the best and highest earning solicitors and barristers all seem to be recipients of this legal aid for the criminals, when the law abiding victim of crime is only afforded a garda (couple of weeks templemore vs 4yrs in college studying just law) to prosecute the scum bag while hes being defended by the best. obviously, the dpp are there for big cases but i always wonder why they didnt go private and earn the big bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

The amount of people on here who think a death sentence is appropriate for a burglary is just scary.

no but definitely deserves 10 years or more, they invade your house, your own personal sanctuary that everyone should feel safe and secure, people who are burgled dont feel comfortable in there own home for years maybe forever and the courts dont take this serious. such a joke. imagine paying your big mortgage for 30+ years to not feel comfortable in it, and for many people now, moving is not an option with negative equity etc...

I HATE SCUMBAGS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Harming someone by running them over twice in your car just because they robbed some of your jewels is not okay i. Both him and the burglar are scumbags imo.

Just because :confused: The bloke broke into the mans family home with his children and wife in it and just because the man woke up and chased him out of his house we don't know what the burglar would have done.In hindsight maybe & in the heat of the moment he went to far in his defence of his home,But there is only one scumbag here and its not the owner of the house,And as for the scumbag getting compensated :confused: ****in joke :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

So if I shoot a burglar with my legally held shotgun, he sues me for compensation? Surely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

While I am all for defending your property and loved ones I think some of the reactions here are over the top and frankly disturbing.

We have laws for a reason and I don't want to live in a vigilante society where you can commit violence against another person and be praised and awarded for it.

The robber was a criminal and scum yes, but how is the victim any better? He deliberatly ran down another person.....surely this is not the example we want to follow?

If you do then I suggest you want to take a good look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I cant believe he got 175,000 for ROBBING someones house.....

WTF is wrong with this country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

realies wrote: »
    Just because :confused: The bloke broke into the mans family home with his children and wife in it and just because the man woke up and chased him out of his house we don't know what the burglar would have done.In hindsight maybe & in the heat of the moment he went to far in his defence of his home,But there is only one scumbag here and its not the owner of the house,And as for the scumbag getting compensated :confused: ****in joke :mad:

If he had given him a hiding inside his house then so be it but this nonsense of driving after him and trying to knock him down is unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

......Did the burglar serve time for this?

3 month suspended sentence. Per indo "He also agreed he had left his home that morning planning to burgle houses and had done this before" so the fact it was premeditated AND had previous convictions* meant that the Michael Mouse judicial system in this country decided to give him a suspended sentence.

*Source RTE News : "He accepted also that he had committed burglaries in the past but that he had been treated leniently by the courts."

rsole1 wrote: »
    So if I shoot a burglar with my legally held shotgun, he sues me for compensation? Surely not.

Not if you're in your own home, but if you shoot him in the street, you're fúcked (so drag him back inside your house)

Advertisement