Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An open letter from Boards.ie to Minister Sean Sherlock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Marcus Suridius

Fair play to everyone at Boards, great thing to show support. Ill be out to have my voice heard in Dublin.

https://www.facebook.com/events/168063729963049/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I have to say (speaking as a layman) that it does look as if that's what the Order is doing - or at least trying to do.

But if it isn't clear, then that can be fixed by making it more obvious that the new subsection 5A is without prejudice to the existing subsections 3 and 4, and by making it clear that the injunction sought must be:-

(i) for the removal of the copyrighted material;

and

(ii) subject to the copyright owner having followed the notice procedures provided for in subsection 4.

My reading is that the courts will do this anyway, but if there's any fear that they won't then the above change would make sure that they have to - and that would pretty much put the kibosh on anyone who thought they could chance their corporate arm with threats of nuisance injunction applications.

Ok here is the section 40

Making available right.

40.—(1) References in this Part to the making available to the public of a work shall be construed as including all or any of the following, namely:

(a) making available to the public of copies of the work, by wire or wireless means, in such a way that members of the public may access the work from a place and at a time chosen by them (including the making available of copies of works through the Internet);

(b) performing, showing or playing a copy of the work in public;

(c) broadcasting a copy of the work;

(d) including a copy of the work in a cable programme service;

(e) issuing copies of the work to the public;

(f) renting copies of the work;

(g) lending copies of the work without the payment of remuneration to the owner of the copyright in the work,

and references to “lawfully making available to the public” shall mean the undertaking of any of the acts referred to in paragraphs (a) to (g) by or with the licence of the copyright owner.

(2) References in this Part to the making available to the public of copies of a work shall include the making available to the public of the original of the work.

(3) Subject to subsection (4), the provision of facilities for enabling the making available to the public of copies of a work shall not of itself constitute an act of making available to the public of copies of the work.

(4) Without prejudice to subsection (3), where a person who provides facilities referred to in that subsection is notified by the owner of the copyright in the work concerned that those facilities are being used to infringe the copyright in that work and that person fails to remove that infringing material as soon as practicable thereafter that person shall also be liable for the infringement.

(5) Without prejudice to subsection (4), the Minister may prescribe the form of the notice to be given under that subsection and the form shall specify—

(a) the name and address of the person claiming to be the owner of the copyright in the work concerned,

(b) the grounds that the person requesting the removal of material has for such removal, and

(c) a list of the material which is to be removed.

(5A) (a) The owner of the copyright in a work may, in respect of that work, apply to the High Court for an injunction against an intermediary to whom paragraph 3 of Article 8 of Directive 2001/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 May 200111 O.J. No. L. 167, 22.6.2001, p.10. on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society applies.
    (b) In considering an application for an injunction under this subsection, the court shall have due regard to the rights of any person likely to be affected by virtue of the grant of any such injunction and the court shall give such directions (including, where appropriate, a direction requiring a person be notified of the application) as the court considers appropriate in all of the circumstances.

(6) References in this Part to “performance”, in relation to a work, shall include—

(a) delivery, in the case of lectures, addresses, speeches and sermons, and

(b) any means of presentation of sounds or images, or any combination of sounds or images or representations thereof, including presentation by means of a sound recording, film, broadcast or cable programme of the work.

(7) Where copyright in a work is infringed by its being performed, played or shown in public, by means of apparatus for receiving sounds, images or data or any combination of sounds, images or data, or the representations thereof, conveyed by any means, the person by whom sounds, images or data or any combination of sounds, images or data, or the representations thereof, are sent shall not be regarded as liable for the infringement and a performer shall not be regarded as liable for the infringement to the extent that the infringement relates to his or her activity as a performer.

(8) There shall be a right of the owner of copyright to make available to the public copies of a work or to authorise others to do so which shall be known and in this Part referred to as the “making available right”.

5(a) must be read in conjunction with the rest of section 40. Again I ask anyone to point out what is wrong with this section. Real problems not made up ones real ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Pro. F wrote: »
    Just to point out, when I accessed the site on my phone (which I did first today) I didn't get the splash page. I wasn't accessing the mobile site so I don't know why boards.ie displayed differently.

Could be any number of reasons, the blackout notice doesn't appear on touch or mobile (m.boards.ie) or if you have javascript disabled. I checked the full site on my HTC after it went live and while it wasn't the prettiest on a tiny screen it did the job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I have already sent my contact details to boards, with the promise, that not only will I act for them if they are unfairly targeted, but I will get a solicitor and SC to do same.

Is that promise a legally binding contract? Does DeV have to give you a euro or a paper clip in exchange to seal the deal?

Section 205 becomes as follows,

Making available to public copies of recordings of qualifying performances.

205.—(1) Subject to subsection (2), a performer has the exclusive right to authorise or prohibit the making available to the public of copies of a recording of the whole or any substantial part of a qualifying performance and it is immaterial whether the copy is made directly or indirectly.

(2) Where a copy of a sound recording is—

(a) played in public, or

(b) included in a broadcast or cable programme service,

the right conferred by this section shall be deemed to be satisfied by the payment of equitable remuneration as specified in section 208 .

(3) A reference in Parts III and IV to the making available to the public of copies of a recording shall include the making available to the public of the original recording of the live performance.

(4) There shall be a right conferred by this section which shall be known and in Parts III and IV referred to as the “making available right”.

(5) A reference in Parts III and IV to the making available to the public of copies of a recording of a qualifying performance shall include—

(a) making available to the public of copies of a recording, by wire or wireless means, in such a way that members of the public may access the recording from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, including the making available of copies of recordings through the Internet,

(b) showing or playing a copy of the recording in public,

(c) broadcasting a copy of the recording,

(d) including a copy of the recording in a cable programme service,

(e) issuing copies of the recording to the public,

(f) renting copies of the recording, or

(g) lending copies of the recording without the payment of remuneration to the rightsowner.

(6) The making available right is infringed by a person who, without the consent of the performer, undertakes or authorises another to undertake any of the acts referred to in subsection (5).

(7) Subject to subsection (8), the provision of facilities for enabling the making available to the public of copies of a recording of a performance shall not of itself constitute an act of making available to the public of copies of the recording.

(8) Without prejudice to subsection (7), where a person who provides facilities referred to in that subsection is notified by the rightsowner that those facilities are being used to infringe any of the rights conferred by Parts III and IV and that person fails to remove that infringing material as soon as is practicable thereafter, that person shall also be liable for the infringement.

(9) Without prejudice to subsection (8), the Minister may prescribe the form of the notice to be given under that subsection and the form shall specify—

(a) the name and address of the person claiming to be the owner of the rights in the recording concerned,

(b) the grounds that the person requesting the removal of material has for such removal, and

(c) a list of the material which is to be removed.

“(9A) (a) The rightsowner of any right conferred by Parts III and IV may, in respect of that right, apply to the High Court for an injunction against an intermediary to whom paragraph 3 of Article 8 of Directive 2001/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 May 200111 O.J. No. L. 167, 22.6.2001, p.10. on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society applies.
    (b) In considering an application for an injunction under this subsection, the court shall have due regard to the rights of any person likely to be affected by virtue of the grant of any such injunction and the court shall grant such directions (including, where appropriate, a direction requiring a person to be notified of the application) as the court considers appropriate in all the circumstances.”.

(10) Where the making available right is infringed by a copy of a recording being played or shown in public, by means of apparatus for receiving sounds, images or data or any combination of sounds, images or data, or the representations thereof, conveyed by any means, the person by whom sounds, images or data or any combination of sounds, images or data, or the representation thereof, are sent shall not be regarded as liable for the infringement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Stupid question... but has anyone other than Sean Sherlock come out in favour of this law?

skelliser wrote: »
    a solicitor is represented in the high court by a barrister.
    so thats not only the solicitors fee but the barristers fee which is substantially more then a solicitors.
    Hence the figure of 30,000 euro to challenge the injunction.

Incorrect, on all cases I have been in the Solicitors fee has eclipsed mine by between 3 and 10 times. 30000 for SC barrister and solicitor does not equate to 5000 an hour, 5k a day is more likely, which in reality is about 3 days work. BTW I wish I got those sort of fees most don't, and just because the fee is higher does not mean the cheaper guy is not as good. I like most lawyers I know have taken good cases for free, because it's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

fatgav wrote: »
    Stupid question... but has anyone other than Sean Sherlock come out in favour of this law?
    Yes some people posting in this thread are for it.

Spacedog wrote: »
    Is that promise a legally binding contract? Does DeV have to give you a euro or a paper clip in exchange to seal the deal?

If Dev promises to pay me a euro, for my promise that will be a legally binding contract.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The amendment deals explicitly with intermediaries; in other words, ISPs.

As an ISP, I can't remove copyrighted material. I don't have it to remove. It's not on my equipment.

It passes through my equipment on the way from the party hosting it to the party downloading it. This amendment allows for an injunction against me... but what effect will that injunction have? The SI doesn't say, which means the copyright holder gets to decide, uncircumscribed by law. That's my problem.

First of all, my apologies. I was reading a link to what The Journal thought would be the text, but which in fact has been superseded. :o

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/reader-irelands-sopa-a-faq/

Now that explains why boards.ie reckon it's vague. The text in the link above is easily workable and understandable, and I think even Tom would agree that if it was the text of the Order there wouldn't be a big problem.

But the final draft is a lot more obscure because it refers to the Directive. The problem with the text of the Directive is quite simple. It refers to intermediaries, and even goes so far as to describe how they can be part of the problem - but it doesn't define them.

In other words, the Directive says the Member States should allow injunctions to be taken against "intermediaries", but does not give any direction as to what an "intermediary" is.

Jaysus, that's a bit mad. :eek:

Doesn't really do much for my arguments either. :o:D

Now having said that, the preamble to the Directive says that "the conditions and modalities relating to such injunctions should be left to the national law of the Member States". What that means is that the Minister is in a position to bring clarity to this if he wants. Or he can leave it to the Courts to do that.

It does rather look as if he is taking the lazy option, doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

While the SI sets no limits, other than the court considering informing the person if they think it is necessary. The law around injunctions does set limits.
    With the greatest of respect, you're not addressing my concerns. You're making soothing noises. I'm not reassured - not because I don't believe you, but because I think you're dismissing my concerns without bothering to understand them.

Your entire perspective is that there's a limit on how much damage a copyright owner can do to me in the High Court. My problem is that that limit is already orders of magnitude beyond anything I can afford.

I'll say it again: if I have to drive to Dublin as a result of something that one of my customers did without my knowledge, I'm already the victim of someone else's legal issue. I don't want to have to go to court, and that's the only defence I currently have against this over-broad SI.
    I know that you like others are scared of the law. Just like a lot of lawyers are scared of technology. But fear of the unknown does not always mean the unknown is bad. If my computer starts going funny, and you tell me it's ok I know all about that will have it fixed in a jiffy, I will trust you. You can't promise my computer won't delete all my data, you can't promise my iPhone won't crash at the worst possible time but you can promise that you will do all in your power to fix it.
    That's all very well, but the worst-case outcome is that - despite my best efforts - you've lost all your data.

Maybe I'll get someone to argue my case pro bono, both solicitors and barristers. Will that guarantee that I can't possibly be hit with any legal costs?
    Now I am asking you to put your trust in the High Court, will copyright holders try to abuse this law, ya maybe, as they have tried to abuse many laws in the past, but if we look at cases like the copyright trolls in the US we see how they usually come to a sticky end.
    I get several emails every week from lawyers in California informing me that my customers are downloading copyrighted material, and demanding that I take action against them. At the moment, they are only emails. If this SI is enacted, each of those will be an injunction, and I'll be forced to choose between kicking off paying customers on the say-so of some randomer who is under no obligation to prove anything in court, or spending my valuable time (and probably money) fighting the injunctions in the forlorn hope that the High Court will see things my way.

Dodd wrote: »
    Yes some people posting in this thread are for it.

Just so people are clear I am neither for nor against the law, I just want proper informed debate. A bland it's bad is not enough, if people want to stop this law they better know it inside out, I have done more to help that cause than any person who is blindly following the herd.

Ok here is the section 40

Cheers, guv, but see my post above. I was working from the wrong link to The Journal.

I have to say I'd be a bit less confident now that I've gotten to the right page. I reckon the Minister still has some work to do to get this right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Think about the impact of those subsections on an operation like boards.ie for a minute.

boards.ie provides a facility (this message board) that enables people (us) to make available to the public (anyone reading) copies of a work. But subsection 3 says that this does not mean that boards.ie is making copies of the work available to the public. So boards.ie is not breaking the rules by running the board.

Someone posts something on boards that is a breach of copyright. Under subsection 4, the owner of the work has the right to notify boards.ie that this has happened. If boards.ie don't remove the copyright material as soon as practicable, they'll be liable for the breach. Now it doesn't say this, but by definition it means that if boards.ie do remove the copyright material, they won't be liable for the breach.

Why are these subsections relevant? Because if I own a copyright, my right to seek an injunction against boards.ie (or anyone else) is without prejudice to those subsections. If I want my injunction, I can't get it just by saying that people can put copyright stuff on boards.ie - because subsection 3 doesn't allow for that. I have to show that people actually did put copyright stuff on boards.ie, that I asked for it to be removed, and that it wasn't.

What's wrong with that?

I just got halfway through the EMI/UPC decision before I started going blind, so I'm not quite thinking straight at the moment

But suppose someone shares a torrent link on boards, copyright owner complains, it gets deleted, user gets banned. User re-regs, same happens again, get banned. Maybe IP blocked. Same then happens with a number of other users, which could in fact be the same user, on a different IP.
    Can the copyright holder not then apply for an injunction claiming that boards are continuing to repeatedly facilitate copyright violation by refusing to put a system in place to prevent this happening at all?
    Which leaves boards facing the cost of either going to court, or spending money developing some way of pre-emptively preventing such links.

And that's just boards - what happens on smaller sites with less resources?

(And I know right now that the initial target is the ISPs, but when that doesn't work, because the hardcore pirates will easily get around it, EMI et al will expand their focus).

As an aside, reading that decision I was quite alarmed at the way some of it was phrased - in a couple of places, "upload" and "download" seemed to be used interchangably, and some of the figures seemed either contradictory or unbelievable.
    For example, certain encryption methods on peer-peer exchanges that could defeat the detection system are dismissed as irrelevant since "only 0.3%" of subscribers user them.
    Then later it's determined that there's probably a hardcore of a couple of hundred subscribers who are responsible for most of the piracy.
    Surely they're the ones most likely to be using the evasion methods that were earlier dismissed?

Then there's the acceptance of an international figure of .42 pirates per broadband line, yielding a total of 675,000 people in Ireland downloading illegally. The source of this information isn't given (unless I missed it), but this completely ignores the fact that broadband in many areas of Ireland runs at pitiful speeds by international standards - it's comparing apples and oranges.

I'm too tired to go through it all right now, and maybe I'm misunderstanding or misinterpreting some of it, and maybe I don't have all the facts - but it makes me a bit uneasy.

With the greatest of respect, you're not addressing my concerns. You're making soothing noises. I'm not reassured - not because I don't believe you, but because I think you're dismissing my concerns without bothering to understand them.

Your entire perspective is that there's a limit on how much damage a copyright owner can do to me in the High Court. My problem is that that limit is already orders of magnitude beyond anything I can afford.

I'll say it again: if I have to drive to Dublin as a result of something that one of my customers did without my knowledge, I'm already the victim of someone else's legal issue. I don't want to have to go to court, and that's the only defence I currently have against this over-broad SI. That's all very well, but the worst-case outcome is that - despite my best efforts - you've lost all your data.

Maybe I'll get someone to argue my case pro bono, both solicitors and barristers. Will that guarantee that I can't possibly be hit with any legal costs? I get several emails every week from lawyers in California informing me that my customers are downloading copyrighted material, and demanding that I take action against them. At the moment, they are only emails. If this SI is enacted, each of those will be an injunction, and I'll be forced to choose between kicking off paying customers on the say-so of some randomer who is under no obligation to prove anything in court, or spending my valuable time (and probably money) fighting the injunctions in the forlorn hope that the High Court will see things my way.

Those guys are what are called copyright trolls, one has already been put out of business in the US. They are usually bottom feeders, if you ask them to give you information of what copyright they protect, plus the IP address of the persons and the times of alleged breach, you will find them shutting up pretty fast. They are usually no better than the my husband has died leaving me millions e-mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

This issue is still met with confusion, so the following is my own high level account of the big picture.

Over the last dozen or so years technical innovations layered on top of the traditional web introduced numerous means for the average joe to publish content on the web easily. "Content" could be anything from a post on boards.ie such as this one, Video content on YouTube, reviews of products/services on Amazon, contributions to knowledge resources like Wikipedia, the list goes on & on & on & is potentially endless. The explosion of such applications is what the media labelled web 2.0, a new generation of ways which the web can benefit humanity as opposed to the the earlier network of hyperlinked static content, controlled by the few. It meant that the world could benefit directly from the fact that anyone who cared to contribute could, as opposed to a much more limited set of publishers (primarily those in financially stronger positions, E.g. Corporations, etc). Bottom line, the potential of the web and sheer momentum that it currently has is directly attributed to the level of contributions it receives by people from different cultures and all walks of life. As a netizen from the start, it has been a true pleasure & privilege to be part of this global community on a daily basis.

Now that's all the good stuff, but like any good thing, it can also see various misuse cases. In this context such a misuse case is typically the publication of content through a legitimate platform that infringes copyright. Now you will have non technical people say things like "just distinguish the two" or "block one, but not the other" and that all sounds grand in theory, but from a technical perspective it's not that easy in practice. For starters we cannot automate the identification of content that infringes copyright at the time of publication with desireable efficacy. So therefore the platform managers typically moderate this content to the best of their ability, but it's a resource hungry task, again because we can't completely automate it.

So if it's a case that platform providers can be held liable for matters in relation to published content by 3rd party contributors, then that is a a MASSIVE overhead. One that will result in hindering or preventing the growth & evolution of our global online community, innovation, tech startups, etc, etc.

Now if you're non technical and have read & followed thus far, pat yourself on the back because so many others haven't. My fear is the power some of these other people have. For example I have spoken with legal professionals over years and I have lost count of the amount of times these professionals don't know what to say when they are confronted with technical facts in relation to legal matters involving technical systems. It's worrying. The best response I was given in a room full of people at a business seminar one day was "in some cases the legal system still needs to play catch up".

As a Software Engineer I don't walk in to hospitals and sign off on decisions in relation to medical matters affecting all patients while surrounded by doctors shouting at me to re-consider the impact of of my actions. If I did, I would listen as opposed to simply assuming their motives are based on an endorsement of illegal practice.

They don't understand, & I worry they still won't until it's too late. They'll see all the signatures & all the shouting and continue to make their decision on the basis of their own short sighted understanding, and backwards we'll go.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And I welcome debate. I'm no hypocrite I genuinely think its the only way we move things forward. Its the whole drive behind Boards in many ways.

I'll happily pay you a euro btw. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

re:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea-j499o5dc&feature=youtu.be
    What he says might be true but he comes across as a raving loony.

not fair.
    he's bombastic and hamming it up, a style i can take or leave, but not uncommon to many youtubers and radio/tv commentators.
    anyway, his argument, in the context of this discussion, is surely more important than how he delivered it

he could have been quicker to the point, but he makes a solid case that the media companies behind SOPA were at the forefront of distributing file-sharing software and effectively encouraging and endorsing file sharing over the last decade or more.

no doubt that if companies like CNET (owned as he points out by CBS/VIACOM) and AOL (Warner) hadn't been plugging Limewire and Kazaa, Bittorrent etc, it wouldn't have been nearly as prevalent or mainstream today. Sure the tech would have still existed but not with nearly the same reach.

his argument (10 mins in) is that they created this culture as part of a long-term strategy to ultimately lobby for strong regulation in their favour.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Those guys are what are called copyright trolls, one has already been put out of business in the US. They are usually bottom feeders, if you ask them to give you information of what copyright they protect, plus the IP address of the persons and the times of alleged breach, you will find them shutting up pretty fast. They are usually no better than the my husband has died leaving me millions e-mails.
    Each one contains a file name, an IP address and a date and time. I can PM you a redacted copy if you're curious.

MOH wrote: »
    I'm too tired to go through it all right now, and maybe I'm misunderstanding or misinterpreting some of it, and maybe I don't have all the facts - but it makes me a bit uneasy.

Sorry you read all that I posted and then worked hard on your response - but I was reading the wrong source and let's just say that my thinking has been challenged on the subject.

I'm now more than a little doubtful about this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Just so people are clear I am neither for nor against the law, I just want proper informed debate. A bland it's bad is not enough, if people want to stop this law they better know it inside out, I have done more to help that cause than any person who is blindly following the herd.
    Sorry.
    I have read all the post in this thread and was not re-faring to you as being for this.
    Just so we get that right.

MOH wrote: »
    I just got halfway through the EMI/UPC decision before I started going blind, so I'm not quite thinking straight at the moment

But suppose someone shares a torrent link on boards, copyright owner complains, it gets deleted, user gets banned. User re-regs, same happens again, get banned. Maybe IP blocked. Same then happens with a number of other users, which could in fact be the same user, on a different IP.
    Can the copyright holder not then apply for an injunction claiming that boards are continuing to repeatedly facilitate copyright violation by refusing to put a system in place to prevent this happening at all?
    Which leaves boards facing the cost of either going to court, or spending money developing some way of pre-emptively preventing such links.

And that's just boards - what happens on smaller sites with less resources?

(And I know right now that the initial target is the ISPs, but when that doesn't work, because the hardcore pirates will easily get around it, EMI et al will expand their focus).

As an aside, reading that decision I was quite alarmed at the way some of it was phrased - in a couple of places, "upload" and "download" seemed to be used interchangably, and some of the figures seemed either contradictory or unbelievable.
    For example, certain encryption methods on peer-peer exchanges that could defeat the detection system are dismissed as irrelevant since "only 0.3%" of subscribers user them.
    Then later it's determined that there's probably a hardcore of a couple of hundred subscribers who are responsible for most of the piracy.
    Surely they're the ones most likely to be using the evasion methods that were earlier dismissed?

Then there's the acceptance of an international figure of .42 pirates per broadband line, yielding a total of 675,000 people in Ireland downloading illegally. The source of this information isn't given (unless I missed it), but this completely ignores the fact that broadband in many areas of Ireland runs at pitiful speeds by international standards - it's comparing apples and oranges.

Well let's look at section 40 (4) (4) Without prejudice to subsection (3), where a person who provides facilities referred to in that subsection is notified by the owner of the copyright in the work concerned that those facilities are being used to infringe the copyright in that work and that person fails to remove that infringing material as soon as practicable thereafter that person shall also be liable for the infringement.

Now that section currently exists, so your example the person can be sued for damages if your interpertation is right. But the important bit is fails to remove infringing material as soon as practicable thereafter. Remember the above is not a new section, it has been on the books since 2000. The new section 5 (a) adds the ability to the other remedies, already in being, to be able to get injunctive relief. The basic rules in injunctions, the balance lies with the granting the relief, and damages are not an adequate remedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

DeVore wrote: »
    And I welcome debate. I'm no hypocrite I genuinely think its the only way we move things forward. Its the whole drive behind Boards in many ways.

Weren't you going to bed 90 minutes ago?

Sorry.
    I have read all the post in this thread and was not re-faring to you as being for this.
    Just so we get that right.

No problem, I just wanted to make sure new people who have not read all my posts don't get the wrong idea.

Each one contains a file name, an IP address and a date and time. I can PM you a redacted copy if you're curious.

Actually I am I will pm you my email address, maybe I can help you out with them pro bono.

This issue is still met with confusion, so the following is my own high level account of the big picture.

Over the last dozen or so years technical innovations layered on top of the traditional web introduced numerous means for the average joe to publish content on the web easily. "Content" could be anything from a post on boards.ie such as this one, Video content on YouTube, reviews of products/services on Amazon, contributions to knowledge resources like Wikipedia, the list goes on & on & on & is potentially endless. The explosion of such applications is what the media labelled web 2.0, a new generation of ways which the web can benefit humanity as opposed to the the earlier network of hyperlinked static content, controlled by the few. It meant that the world could benefit directly from the fact that anyone who cared to contribute could, as opposed to a much more limited set of publishers (primarily those in financially stronger positions, E.g. Corporations, etc). Bottom line, the potential of the web and sheer momentum that it currently has is directly attributed to the level of contributions it receives by people from different cultures and all walks of life. As a netizen from the start, it has been a true pleasure & privilege to be part of this global community on a daily basis.

Now that's all the good stuff, but like any good thing, it can also see various misuse cases. In this context such a misuse case is typically the publication of content through a legitimate platform that infringes copyright. Now you will have non technical people say things like "just distinguish the two" or "block one, but not the other" and that all sounds grand in theory, but from a technical perspective it's not that easy in practice. For starters we cannot automate the identification of content that infringes copyright at the time of publication with desireable efficacy. So therefore the platform managers typically moderate this content to the best of their ability, but it's a resource hungry task, again because we can't completely automate it.

So if it's a case that platform providers can be held liable for matters in relation to published content by 3rd party contributors, then that is a a MASSIVE overhead. One that will result in hindering or preventing the growth & evolution of our global online community, innovation, tech startups, etc, etc.

Now if you're non technical and have read & followed thus far, pat yourself on the back because so many others haven't. My fear is the power some of these other people have. For example I have spoken with legal professionals over years and I have lost count of the amount of times these professionals don't know what to say when they are confronted with technical facts in relation to legal matters involving technical systems. It's worrying. The best response I was given in a room full of people at a business seminar one day was "in some cases the legal system still needs to play catch up".

As a Software Engineer I don't walk in to hospitals and sign off on decisions in relation to medical matters affecting all patients while surrounded by doctors shouting at me to re-consider the impact of of my actions. If I did, I would listen as opposed to simply assuming their motives are based on an endorsement of illegal practice.

They don't understand, & I worry they still won't until it's too late. They'll see all the signatures & all the shouting and continue to make their decision on the basis of their own short sighted understanding, and backwards we'll go.

I totally agree, and yes the law needs to catch up and quickly. I heard recently a judge gave out to a lawyer for using an iPad. The law always seeks certainty, certainty is in the past, how such a case WAS decided. But the law is getting it, judges are getting it. Remember it was Charlton J. who put a stop to EMI, yes I know parts of the judgement was a bit out there but to be honest lawyers are trying to catch up. Well some anyway.

DeVore wrote: »

That's a contract then lol. BTW the inclusion of lol was not to avoid any contract, T&C's apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

alphaadam wrote: »
    I sent TD Sherlock a letter in which I suggested he watch this very insightful and truthful you tube video about the real truth behind SOPA in the USA and consequently elsewhere in the world.

I would strongly recommend that all the board users look at this video too. If only to discover the deceit, lies, manipulation, false power and greed of the people behind these laws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea-j499o5dc&feature=youtu.be

Now you know the truth

Do something else about it. I hope TD Sean Sherlock enjoys watching the video.

Kind regards

People of Ireland

CBS only bought CNET in 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Meteoric wrote: »
    I'm not an expert on SIs or anything but the experience I have of them in my work is that they enact, word for word, the European Legislation.

Directives aren't required to be enacted word for word and give Members States some leeway in customising it within the bounds of the Directive. They are not enacted by way of SI, usually or at all AFAIK.

European Regulations are different and this may be what you have experienced. They are brought in word for word and by means of an implementing SI - however, all that does is say that the Regulation applies here.

In this instance, the CRRA 2000 existed before the various European Directives and was thought to be in line with them when the Directives were issued. There were further amending Acts in '04 and '07.

Advertisement