Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish actually spoken in the Gealtachts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rhedyn

A flight crew from Shanghai to Mexico City will conduct their ATC business in English.

They don't do it by choice. It is international aviation law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Rhedyn wrote: »
    They don't do it by choice. It is international aviation law.

It was an example. But it is matters like these that help a lingua franca to arise. I am not saying that it occurred organically. It is related to the history of the Empire, and then of American world dominance. Mine is not a value judgement; neither is it wishful thinking; it is a statement of the factual position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

So when will boards have a thumb down button?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

It was an example. But it is matters like these that help a lingua franca to arise. I am not saying that it occurred organically. It is related to the history of the Empire, and then of American world dominance. Mine is not a value judgement; neither is it wishful thinking; it is a statement of the factual position.
    Which empire?
    Last time I checked, there had been several of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

deirdremf wrote: »
    Which empire?
    Last time I checked, there had been several of them!

Think hard and in context and the meaning of the reference will probably become clear. As Housman said, (I think it was Housman), "five minutes thinking will reveal the truth, but thought is irksome and five minutes is a long time." I am, however, surprised at such reluctance to make an intellectual leap unbidden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeBrugha

Yeah, but you're more likely to met speakers of high quality Irish in the traditional Gaeltachtaí right?

Yes

The pronunciation is the biggest give away, just listen to a middle aged person from the Aran islands talking for example

Beautiful Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I would hardly call what Garret did "guessing" now. But yes it has little to do with now, kind of.
    No, it wasn't guessing, but it was far from perfect.
    In 1841, there was a huge population of extremely poor people, and this population was the one that was destroyed by the famine, whether by death through starvation and disease, or through emigration. It was also the most heavily Irish speaking section of the population.
    For obvious reasons, they were not involved in the census of 1911.

Neither did the census count those who had spoken Irish in their childhood/youth and had given up speaking it. Many of these people would have been put onto the census form by their sons or daughters who might not even have been aware that they spoke Irish when they were young.
    It is not very long ago that I met a man who told me that his grandmother was brought up speaking Irish, but denied knowing it at all. An acquaintance bought a farm in the West of Ireland from another person of that sort. The country would have been replete with older people of that sort in 1911.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

Irish is most definitely spoken in the Gaeltachtaí.

However, the lines of official Gaeltachtaí are out of date and it's often you hear someone from the fringe areas dismissing the rest of the Gaeltacht because their area is no longer class A.

-jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 phatrat1982

Sorry if I am intruding a little but I have some thing to add to the above discussion regarding English as a universal language or whatever. I don't know about Ireland, or England, but I do know that in Canada one of the largest English speaking countries, French is still spoken side by side with English so even a lot of Canadians who speak English do not exclusively do so. And here in the US there are parts of the country were English is only spoken at school everywhere else it is the local regional language.

I grew up in an area of Nevada where in my school everyone, myself included spoke Spanish, class reports were often in Spanish, dances were all spanish music with announcers speaking in spanish, the road signs and government notices all posted in English and Spanish but Spanish always came first because less people spoke English than Spanish and that was right here in America.

There are parts of a lot of southern states similar to this people will know and use more Spanish than English, in fact it has become a political topic of sorts in recent years because Spanish is starting to over take English in the US and pretty soon the most powerful and prominent English speaking country will be divided between English and Spanish and Spanish has already over taken English in world wide speakers.

A hundred years ago, before WWII German was the second most spoken language in the US and at that time it was actually spoken in schools and many parts of the US were exclusively German, especially in the Mid-west and the colonies that were settled by German immigrants. For over a hundred years German news papers were published side by side their English counterparts, and German was on the rise and was nearly popular enough to over take English in several states, WWII changed that suddenly it was outlawed in several states the speaking of German in public places government documents had to be in English only and German was wiped clean from our countries culture and collective minds where today even today if you are German or German descent you are a second class citizen, I know this all to well as my grandfather came straight over from Germany speaking German till the day he died.

The same happened to the natives, my grand mother is full blooded Shoshonee so I have some indian in me too so I can speak on this subject, there used to be MILLIONS of Native American speakers of hundreds of native languages, today there are FIVE native American languages left and of those five only two have a chance to survive the others are spoken only by elderly men who are near death and their children have already assimilated into American English society. There are a few other Native languages that limp along in back woods areas of their Reservations used only for ceremonies but not even taught in their own schools.

Friends the English speakers of this world are snobs about their language and the Spanish are the first to stand up to them and say NO we will not give up our language and culture and if you call any phone number to any business SPANISH comes up first then you have to press 2 for English.

I say this because Irish is actually a rich language, your language is older than English and your culture is a hell of a lot more defined than "ours" American culture is mix and match what we like throw out what we don't and piss on everyone else. I used to love being an American until I grew up and realized our country sucks we hate everyone and we are the most arrogant stubborn asses ever to walk the Earth.

If you are serious about saving Irish take a lesson from the Mexicans FORCE it on people. Just stop dead cold turkey using English and be a snob about it right back. When you call into a business to ask questions about your bill start up in Irish and if they can't accommodate you GET ANGRY at them and repeat your demands and stick to your guns. You can not be passive about it you HAVE to be aggressive about it the British were sure as hell not anything close to passive about forcing it on you, nor were the Americans passive about forcing it on me, I could have been fluent in German had my dad not been afraid of his neighbors and here I am as English as you can be sitting in the middle of America wondering what went wrong? I am taking a stand I have set myself on a quest to learn all the languages of my ancestors and I am not going to sit down and let the Spanish be told they have to give up and assimilate because that is what my Irish and German forefathers did no sir I am standing up and fighting back you know why, because ENGLISH is the most damn complicated and confusing language ever conceived.

It was forced upon me and my family and we were conditioned "we are white and white people speak English" screw that I traced my family tree we haven't a drop of English blood in us it's all Irish, German, some French and my Native Shoshone roots I don't have any desire to hide. Am I white skinned yeah sure so what Italians are white but they speak Italian French people are white but they speak French why do I have to speak English because I live in America, I read our Constitution there is NO official language in this country.

If you are complacent and passive your language will die that is a fact, there are more people here in the city I live in than the entire Irish speaking population in your entire country, the country where Irish originates and the Irish are scared to use it that is just like the Cherokee ever heard of them? Or the Choctaw or the Shoshone, or how about the Aztecs their language is long forgotten. Hell consider back to the Spanish that is why they are so aggressive is because Spanish was already forced upon them once and they had to give up their native tongue already why should they do it again.

EDIT: Hey sorry if that came off wrong it was not meant to be in anger just trying to be supportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

If you are serious about saving Irish take a lesson from the Mexicans FORCE it on people.

I can assure you most Irish people don't want it forced on them.

We have it forced on us enough in school as it is and after fifteen years learing it most Irish people can barely string a sentence together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cytex

If you are complacent and passive your language will die that is a fact, there are more people here in the city I live in than the entire Irish speaking population in your entire country, the country where Irish originates and the Irish are scared to use it that is just like the Cherokee ever heard of them? Or the Choctaw or the Shoshone, or how about the Aztecs their language is long forgotten. Hell consider back to the Spanish that is why they are so aggressive is because Spanish was already forced upon them once and they had to give up their native tongue already why should they do it again.

EDIT: Hey sorry if that came off wrong it was not meant to be in anger just trying to be supportive.

The choctaw have a place in the heart of Irish people they gave money to the famine relief a mere 16 years after they were forced to walked the trail of tears.

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/michael/www/choctaw/retrace.html

Gaeilge in ireland is a funny bag of bones it is forced on people and they rebel then when they leave school they dont want to have anything to do with the language it is not the way to go for us.

What we need is proper support for gaelscoils every parent who want to raise there child through Gaeilge should have the support to do it.
    Every department in the state should have a Gaeilge speaker in it so we can comunicate with the state as Gaeilge.
    Every city in éire should have a culture gaeltacht quater like derry and belfast have to give people opportunity to speak it after school.
    Gaeltachts should be respected and test should be given for any who want to move in to it not like what happened in ring gaeltacht
    http://politico.ie/component/content/article/201-economy/4803-the-demise-of-ring-gaeltacht.html

Well I guess I was over hyped earlier. What I meant was not force it on people like just make them use it not those who don't want but what I mean is if you want to use it just do so and make the companies cater to you that was what I was saying.

I guess it is different than Spanish because while it is wide spread and taught in our schools it still is offered as an optional class but never required class so that is different.

I guess it's just hard grasp for us.

What we need is proper support for gaelscoils every parent who want to raise there child through Gaeilge should have the support to do it.
    Every department in the state should have a Gaeilge speaker in it so we can comunicate with the state as Gaeilge.
    Every city in éire should have a culture gaeltacht quater like derry and belfast have to give people opportunity to speak it after school.
    Gaeltachts should be respected and test should be given for any who want to move in to it not like what happened in ring gaeltacht
    http://politico.ie/component/content...gaeltacht.html

Well I guess I am not entirely sure how it works because I have never been to Ireland I am signed up to go for a study abroad with my school but there is a long old waiting list so they told me two to three years before I get to go.

So the way I understand it is you have areas that are like our Indian Reservations where the language and culture are protected whereas in the rest of the country everyone is required to learn Gaeilge but they often reject it as being forced on them?

Honestly to tell you the truth until recently I never even knew Ireland had it's own native language I always just assumed that you always spoke English. In fact when I first started telling my friends I was learning to speak Irish they laughed because they thought that meant I was going to talk like that leprechaun from the Lucky Charms commercials.

Well sorry for hijacking your thread.

Well I guess I was over hyped earlier. What I meant was not force it on people like just make them use it not those who don't want but what I mean is if you want to use it just do so and make the companies cater to you that was what I was saying.

I guess it is different than Spanish because while it is wide spread and taught in our schools it still is offered as an optional class but never required class so that is different.

I guess it's just hard grasp for us.

Well I guess I am not entirely sure how it works because I have never been to Ireland I am signed up to go for a study abroad with my school but there is a long old waiting list so they told me two to three years before I get to go.

So the way I understand it is you have areas that are like our Indian Reservations where the language and culture are protected whereas in the rest of the country everyone is required to learn Gaeilge but they often reject it as being forced on them?

Honestly to tell you the truth until recently I never even knew Ireland had it's own native language I always just assumed that you always spoke English. In fact when I first started telling my friends I was learning to speak Irish they laughed because they thought that meant I was going to talk like that leprechaun from the Lucky Charms commercials.

Well sorry for hijacking your thread.

not exactly like that the Gaeltachts are places in the country where the first langauge is Gaeilge they are like this because the areas they are in were to poor to bother invading the were isolated and more or less left to there own devices.

Gaeilge is alive and well in most places in Ireland it is a minority language but if you go looking for it you will find it in any county and not just in the gaeltachts.

Gaeilge is compulsory in schools but it is not taught for you to learn the language. it is taught badly you are assumed fluent in the language and get to study poetry and stories that are basically to hard for a learner. It is then that irish people learn how to hate the language and quite frankly i dont blame them irish in school is akin to tourture .

There is some people in this country that hate the language whole heartly goverment policy has done very little to promote the language but despite this it has recorded a growth in the last few years.

If you are intrested look for a program called "In the name of the Fáda" . It is about a irish comedian (originally from america) called des bishop learning the language he goes to a gaeltacht in conemara . It is very funny and does a good job of explaing gaeltachts and Gaeilge in éire. As well as how it is taught in schools.

wow, that is all very interesting. I have heard of Des Bishop he did a remake of Jump Around which was a hugely popular song here when I was a kid. I will have to look for his program that sounds interesting. One question though is it kid friendly or is it like his comedy acts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Is there even a single mono-lingual irish speaker left? When was the last mono-lingual irish speaker?.

Depends on what you mean by mono-lingual.

Probably around one hundred years since the last native Irish speaker with NO English died

But its conceivable there could have been native Irish speakers without FLUENT English as recently as the 1970's.

Although recently I heard of a Polish guy who came to Ireland to learn Irish (not sure why but whatever floats your boat......) but didnt have much English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by mono-lingual.

Probably around one hundred years since the last native Irish speaker with NO English died
    Nope, here's one alive and well in 1985:

Go to 4:16.
    But its conceivable there could have been native Irish speakers without FLUENT English as recently as the 1970's.
    I met one this week.

wow, that is all very interesting. I have heard of Des Bishop he did a remake of Jump Around which was a hugely popular song here when I was a kid. I will have to look for his program that sounds interesting. One question though is it kid friendly or is it like his comedy acts?

I Wouldn't say it is kid friendly Irish people like to use what sponge bob would call "sentence enhancers" a lot :P

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeBrugha

Is there even a single mono-lingual irish speaker left? When was the last mono-lingual irish speaker?.

Yes I know a man without English from Ross island Connemara, he knows words but can't do sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

cytex wrote: »
    I Wouldn't say it is kid friendly Irish people like to use what sponge bob would call "sentence enhancers" a lot :P

Well the English version is hardly kid friendly, the Irish translation is not either.

yeah I did checkout someclips on Youtube it looked like an interesting show but their mother would kill me if I let them watch that show. I did download his song though that is a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

DeBrugha wrote: »
    Yes I know a man without English from Ross island Connemara, he knows words but can't do sentences.

Yes, and I know plenty of Gaeltacht people who struggle when English is thrust upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I'm curious, has the Gaeltacht actually expanded in any areas or has the trend always been towards contraction? Obviously you have the Meath Gaeltachtaí but I'm curious whether there are places in the Gaeltachts out west that now have more Irish speakers than in recent times past.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

I'm curious, has the Gaeltacht actually expanded in any areas or has the trend always been towards contraction? Obviously you have the Meath Gaeltachtaí but I'm curious whether there are places in the Gaeltachts out west that now have more Irish speakers than in recent times past.

Basically, no. Technically though, there's been an explosion of Irish speakers in urban centres like Dublin, Cork and Limerick (a mixture of pidigin and creole Irish) The problem is that we have little chance to use it unless we specifically go looking for it, and the ignorant masses tend to take it as an insult when people attempt Irish first, and then fall back to English.

-jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Yes actually, I was reading about it in a book published by Glor na nGeal, its a small Gaeltacht area in Kerry, can't remember the name, as far as I can remember there was no school in the gaeltacht its self so all the local kids were educated through English, by the mid 70's Irish was almost non existent in the area, but a few locals got together to campaign for more recognition and support from the government, there is more Irish in the area now than there was before the foundation of the state iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cmacmurchaidh

Still plenty of Irish in Rann na Feirste in Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Hadn't been to Belfast since 1991, but I went for a visit for a few days over the Christmas.

I heard more Irish spoken in West Belfast than I ever did in my entire life in Dublin.

It was spoken in pubs, shops, on the street, and in all sorts of random places around West Belfast. It was quite surreal.

Fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭General Michael Collins

A few pages back I posted a map of the State, and the amount of self acclaimed Irish speakers, county by county. I think somebody replied that it was strange that a 'solidly monolingual' Clare had returned such a high number. But, I read this week in Gaelscéal that Clare is not so solidly monolingual as all that.

http://www.gaelsceal.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1325:gaeltacht-an-chlair-le-heiri-aris&catid=2:nuacht-naisiunta&Itemid=290

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

what do you mean by Irish? the language taught in school is book irish and essentially dead a doornail and completely artificial.
    the language spoken in the gaeltacht is a living language that co exists with English. as such both languages influence each other.
    when ros na run first came on air it was subject to much mockery in places such as dublin because they were not speaking proper irish, just like one could argue that a lot of people do not speak proper english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    what do you mean by Irish? the language taught in school is book irish and essentially dead a doornail and completely artificial.

That's a bit of an over simplistic exaggeration don't you think?

The Irish taught in school's is generally the Official standard of Irish, given that this is a compromise between the Dialects it is hardly fair to call it completely artificial. Certainly it is no more artificial than the Standard of any other language.
    Thanks to the Gaelscoils, there are thousands of fluent speakers of that kind of Irish, so its hardly accurate to call it dead.
    As for people coming out with Nonsense translated google style directly from English into Irish, the worst example I ever heard of that was from a girl who grew up in the Gaeltacht. (Oh mo dhia, Tá tú ag freeckáil amach mé.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

That's a bit of an over simplistic exaggeration don't you think?

The Irish taught in school's is generally the Official standard of Irish, given that this is a compromise between the Dialects it is hardly fair to call it completely artificial. Certainly it is no more artificial than the Standard of any other language.
    Thanks to the Gaelscoils, there are thousands of fluent speakers of that kind of Irish, so its hardly accurate to call it dead.
    As for people coming out with Nonsense translated google style directly from English into Irish, the worst example I ever heard of that was from a girl who grew up in the Gaeltacht. (Oh mo dhia, Tá tú ag freeckáil amach mé.)

school Irish is rather quaint and ignore s the fact that many Irish speakers use English terms when speaking.
    there is a massive divide between the Irish of urban Gaelscoileanna and the Irish spoken in the Gaeltacht. The former tends to use many makey up words and translates directly from English.
    a spoken language is constantly evolving, even in English grammatically flawed phrases such as 'i'm loving it' appear acceptable.

Advertisement