Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

gk5000 wrote: »
    Going back a few years - Met a Swedish lady who recon'd all Swedes with American names were hyper.

Interesting concept - based on the fact that their parents watched, and more importantly were influenced by American TV... so their ofspring were inclinded to be less disiplined and thereby hyper by her standards.

a bit like reconing that kids with very Irish language names are very nationalistic ? ...based on their parents being like that. Interesting concept. Better to have a neutral name methinks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

And whats all this about peoples names being "boring"? If you rely on peoples first names to give you kicks, you have some serious issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Daisy...
    Daisy is one of those names that is very pretty when you're five but I'm not sure how helpful the name would be in later life. (Imagine a Judge called Daisy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Daisy is one of those names that is very pretty when you're five but I'm not sure how helpful the name would be in later life. (Imagine a Judge called Daisy).

True.

Imagine having to have a lifesaving operation & your Surgeon is called Daisy?

*Well we'll wheel you in to the Operation Room, cut you open, whip out your goolies, darn you up smartly be home 4 tea, hee hee hee!!!!!

True.

Imagine having to have a lifesaving operation & your Surgeon is called Daisy?

*Well we'll wheel you in to the Operation Room, cut you open, whip out your goolies, darn you up smartly be home 4 tea, hee hee hee!!!!!
    Funny enough, what a surgeon was called wouldn't bother me in the least. I reckon that I'd be so nervous about the operation I'd just be praying that the surgeon had the skills and experience to get me out the other side safely :D

However, when it comes to matters of law and order, I don't think I would be intimidated by a person called Daisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

MrsD007 wrote: »

I'd say she'd come across as a right cow. :pac:

I'll get my coat...

Niles wrote: »
    I'd say she'd come across as a right cow. :pac:

I'll get my coat...
    It is funny when you think about another flowery name - "Rose".

Rose, is a name that works really well whether you're 5 or 85 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

namloc1980 wrote: »
    IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    You might not have noticed, but a lot of the Polish have adapted their names, use the easier short form, or accept a completely wrong pronunciation of their name.

And as much as you're trying to compare two completely different situations, it just doesn't work. Polish is the ONLY language in Poland. Calling your Polish kid Jane or Matthew would just be weird. Ireland has two languages, and English is the main language of the vast majority of the population. I see endless threads from people who want to call their kids Irish names but don't even know how to spell them. People who want to call their kid Eve but spell it in Irish for the sake of it, even though they couldn't string an Irish sentence together if their life depended on it.

I'm not saying nobody should use Irish names. I'm saying it should be taken into consideration than nobody outside Ireland will be able to spell or pronounce them. If you're happy with that, and you bring up your child to be happy with that, realise that they have a very rare name from a very, very difficult to read language and not smirk rudely every time someone mispronounces their name (like 90% of Irish I know in London do, as if English people of Nigerian descent are supposed to just know how to pronounce Caoimhe), then grand.

Jesus, that's a load of crapology you just spouted!
    How? Because you disagree?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I still have no idea what you mean. I pronounce them in exactly the same way. I just looked them up in a dictionary and looked at the phonemic symbols and they are exactly the same (ɔːr). I pronounce Orla as 'or-la' and I've never heard it any other way. And when I say or, it rhymes with door, floor and core. Where are you from? :confused:

/ɔ/ is a short 'o' ('hot', 'pot' and in some accents 'caught')
    /ɔ:/ is a longer short 'o' ('thaw', 'law' and in some accents 'caught')
    /o/ is a long 'o' ('floor', 'door' in Irish and other rhotic accents. It's not really used in RP English, where these vowel sounds are generally a diphthong).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

NEADUS CALLUS

I used to deal with this guy, He owns an alarm company, Nice guy but what were his parents thinking ?:( And He is 100% Irish !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Dusan Mandic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ceatharlach

Ignatius.

I once knew someone with the curse of having that as a first name.

Ignatius.

I once knew someone with the curse of having that as a first name.
    It's bad but Iggy is worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭nowyouresix

Chardonnay and Savannah....cousins I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

I don't think it was a child but I today I heard Shaquille Brady!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i know a lad called Aenus. the poor poor lad.

another name of a baby ive seen yesterday is Hubert.

both sets of parents should be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

i know a lad called Aenus. the poor poor lad.

another name of a baby ive seen yesterday is Hubert.

both sets of parents should be beaten.

My former next door neighbour was called Aeneas. This is probably the name that you, and others in this thread, are trying to imply sounds like anus.

It's Ay-nee-ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

bronwyn *shivers*
    fabianne(pronounced fay-bee-aw-n)
    Prudence/Beatrice/Gertrude/agnes- all as bad as eachother and all remind me of dried fruit and cranky old people.
    peyton
    sebastian
    roofus(is that how its even spelt?)who actually calls their child that.
    gus
    gretchen
    penelope
    all disgusting names^^ parents who give their children any of the names should be shot on sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

gigino wrote: »
    a bit like reconing that kids with very Irish language names are very nationalistic ? ...based on their parents being like that. Interesting concept.

I don't think people are such simpletons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I met a woman today who has called her baby daughter "Yvonne".

nothing wrong with that.

except, she is pronouncing it " wih vun ee".

utterly ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bb1234567 wrote: »

eh a lot of people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

bb1234567 wrote: »
    should be shot on sight.

Rufus*** : )

I actually know a really hot guy called Rufus. I agree it's a terrible name, but it's funny; if you actually get to know someone with a name like this, you get used to it. Rufus doesn't even sound that bad to me now.

Also, my sister has a friend called Sebastian, though he goes by Seb, which is quite cool really : P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

bluewolf wrote: »

its still ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Angus, Keith, or Deirdre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i hate children being referred to as kids. they are children

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Randy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

newbee22 wrote: »
    Randy

Me too, PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭nessie911

I want to know what are peoples reasons for not liking particular names. Most I can understand, but names like Keith or Deirdre which were mentioned in a previous post I do not understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Pherekydes wrote: »
    My former next door neighbour was called Aeneas. This is probably the name that you, and others in this thread, are trying to imply sounds like anus.

It's Ay-nee-ass.

nope, he is called anus.

Advertisement