Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accenture Technology Solutions - What are they like to work for?

Options
  • 20-11-2011 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I've been looking for some recent threads on this so that I could post there instead of creating a new thread.

I was invited for an interview with Accenture Technology Solutions and I was just wondering if they're really as bad as people are saying. All of the other threads give the impression that Accenture are like some kind of coal mine where they bring in young kids to work like hell and burn them out. But these posts were from four or five years ago and the posters were'nt very clear about whether they were talking about the IT side or the Consulting side of it. I've been getting the impression too that they will only take the cream of the crop and that anyone else doesn't stand a chance, but this must have changed because my profile portrays me as nothing more than mediocre. 420 LC points, a 2:2 BSc and have listed myself as a beginner in all programming languages I know....and still they'd like to interview me. So I'd just like to know what the work in Technology Solutions is like. Long hours I wouldn't mind. Long hours doing something that I don't have a clue about I would mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

I'd also like to know from anyone who has interviewed for them, what the interview is like and what questions I'm likely to be asked. I'm getting more worried now because I was told the interview would be an hour long and I'm wondering what questions they could possibly be asking for an hour. It's the first interview (out of I don't know how many) so would I be asked to write code?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pakb1ue

One of my first interviews was with them and two of my mates got offered jobs with them but both turned them down.

You wont be asked to write down any code or anything its just a general chat on stuff you have done re development. How you keep update with tech and that. Its been over a year since I interviewed with them so cannot remember what all was asked.

The process is done in 3 parts and each is done at a different date:
    1st round interview
    online test
    2nd round interview

I see, and I heard the process takes ages, wouldn't mind having some other job by then. A general chat doesn't sound so bad, but how is that stetched to an hour. Or is it just that an hour is set aside for the interview which may only last a half hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pakb1ue

Its like any interview, they go through your CV and ask you questions on it and you spend a bit of time answering them.
    It should take a about an hour, mine was 50 odd minutes or something. Sure for my current role the hole interview process took 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Chett wrote: »
    I've been looking for some recent threads on this so that I could post there instead of creating a new thread.

I was invited for an interview with Accenture Technology Solutions and I was just wondering if they're really as bad as people are saying. All of the other threads give the impression that Accenture are like some kind of coal mine where they bring in young kids to work like hell and burn them out. But these posts were from four or five years ago and the posters were'nt very clear about whether they were talking about the IT side or the Consulting side of it. I've been getting the impression too that they will only take the cream of the crop and that anyone else doesn't stand a chance, but this must have changed because my profile portrays me as nothing more than mediocre. 420 LC points, a 2:2 BSc and have listed myself as a beginner in all programming languages I know....and still they'd like to interview me. So I'd just like to know what the work in Technology Solutions is like. Long hours I wouldn't mind. Long hours doing something that I don't have a clue about I would mind.

I work for them, and no I wouldn't say it's like some sort of coal mine. I'm happy there because if you work hard, it is recognized and you are rewarded for it. There is also a structured career path, so you know where you're going and how to get there. This is not the case in most places, at least not where I have worked previously anyway.

The standards are high, and in the consulting work force the minimum is 400 LC points and a 2.1 degree just to get called for interview. In solutions, this is not the case - probably because computer science degrees are harder but that's only a guess.

In truth it's all about attitude, and that's what the interviewer will be trying to evaluate. If you're the type of person who reads up on emerging technologies and trends in your spare time and has a passion for software development/IT then you just need to get that across to them and you'll be fine.

In terms of what the work is like, that really depends on what project you are assigned to. You could be working on the same project for years, or you could move about from project to project. In solutions, you'll be a programmer developing new applications, or supporting existing applications. You could also be involved in technical design and managing offshore development teams, so the usual meetings, documentation and diagrams etc are your responsibility. There is also a client facing aspect to your role so you will need to be good with people.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Rahc

Hey guys.. I got an email last week from Accenture asking me to amend my application (I didn't give a specific graduation date) and stated that if it was not amended within 5 days my application would be disregarded. I corrected it straight away and emailed them confirming this, but haven't heard anything since. Will they still email me even if I am unsuccessful in getting an interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

Rahc wrote: »
    Hey guys.. I got an email last week from Accenture asking me to amend my application (I didn't give a specific graduation date) and stated that if it was not amended within 5 days my application would be disregarded. I corrected it straight away and emailed them confirming this, but haven't heard anything since. Will they still email me even if I am unsuccessful in getting an interview?

I did the same thing, really want a job there..sounds like a good place to work

Eoghan41 wrote: »
    I did the same thing, really want a job there..sounds like a good place to work
    Me too! I got an email on Wednesday telling me that I have a first round interview with them and they'd be in contact with me over the next few days - they're notorious for being slow though so I guess I'll be hearing from them over the next few weeks! Did you get an interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

Me too! I got an email on Wednesday telling me that I have a first round interview with them and they'd be in contact with me over the next few days - they're notorious for being slow though so I guess I'll be hearing from them over the next few weeks! Did you get an interview?

No haha got an email this morning saying that they are currently reviewing CVs and will be in touch in January.. basically saying if first round are crap I might get a look in :P best of luck with it though dude :)

Wow, I suppose I was lucky enough to get the interview. It went grand though, really was just a general chat about stuff I had done and what I knew with a few of those silly behavioural questions thrown in. There were two of them there and it was only when I went in that I was told it was a technical interview. I wish I'd known that going in as there were some questions on programming principals like design patterns, dependency injection...etc. I kind of bumbled out my own definitions for them.

He also told me that usually in Accenture there would be some people "on the bench" for when new projects come along, but right now there's nobody on the bench and that's why there's a recruitment happening.

About a week later I was contacted by email to do some online aptitude tests. I'm wondering if I blew it here though. They weren't terribly difficult but I'm awful at working things out quickly. In each test I had to do 12 problems in about 15 minutes. I was informed before the test that most candidates do not complete all of the problems within the alloted time. I got something like 8 or 9 of them done and I'm pretty sure that every one of my answers were correct. I don't know if that's good or bad though. Guess we'll find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Jegger

I have my first round interview for Management Consulting in about two weeks. Has anyone one been through this process recently or last year perhaps, any general tips or feedback would be great.

Jegger wrote: »
    I have my first round interview for Management Consulting in about two weeks. Has anyone one been through this process recently or last year perhaps, any general tips or feedback would be great.
    When did they contact you with a specific date for your interview? I'm still waiting to hear when mine is

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Jegger

When did they contact you with a specific date for your interview? I'm still waiting to hear when mine is
    On the 29th I got a miss call from a private number, then an email saying that they had tried to contact me to arrange my interview with a number for me to contact. The number didn't work but eventually I got through to the HR department in Accenture and they suggested a date and I agreed, then they sent a confirmation email.
    I reckon they will be continuing 1st round interviews after the Christmas holidays.

Jegger wrote: »
    On the 29th I got a miss call from a private number, then an email saying that they had tried to contact me to arrange my interview with a number for me to contact. The number didn't work but eventually I got through to the HR department in Accenture and they suggested a date and I agreed, then they sent a confirmation email.
    I reckon they will be continuing 1st round interviews after the Christmas holidays.
    Thanks Jegger. Good luck with the interview.. let me know what's it like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

Would I be banging my head against a brick wall in trying to get feedback from a failed interview with Accenture? It's something I put a lot of time in to and I felt the interview went well, in addition I have strong grades and am currently doing a Masters that relates directly to the position. I then got a generic HR email saying I didn't get through and that it could basically be down to any number of reasons. I don't have any sense of entitlement about the job or anything but having put so much time into it, I'd like to at least use it as a learning experience for future reference when going for similar roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Would I be banging my head against a brick wall in trying to get feedback from a failed interview with Accenture? It's something I put a lot of time in to and I felt the interview went well, in addition I have strong grades and am currently doing a Masters that relates directly to the position. I then got a generic HR email saying I didn't get through and that it could basically be down to any number of reasons. I don't have any sense of entitlement about the job or anything but having put so much time into it, I'd like to at least use it as a learning experience for future reference when going for similar roles.

I'm sure it'd be no harm to ask, you might not get a response straight away as HR would have to chase up the interviewer.

Don't get down about it though, at the height of the boom they had about 2,000 applicants for 75 jobs, I'd imagine there are a lot more applicants and less jobs now.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm sure it'd be no harm to ask, you might not get a response straight away as HR would have to chase up the interviewer.

Don't get down about it though, at the height of the boom they had about 2,000 applicants for 75 jobs, I'd imagine there are a lot more applicants and less jobs now.

I suppose in that context you're right, always frustrating not to get through something you put a lot of effort into but c'est la vie.

he man rugger, just curious, was it technology solutions or management consultancy that you had your interview for. After I did the interview they emailed me to tell me that I had to complete two aptitude tests. I did those and a few days later I got an email basically saying that I wouldn't be going any further with them and that it could be any number of things.

That other poster is right though. There are so many applying to Accenture and it really is an employer's market now.

Chett wrote: »
    he man rugger, just curious, was it technology solutions or management consultancy that you had your interview for. After I did the interview they emailed me to tell me that I had to complete two aptitude tests. I did those and a few days later I got an email basically saying that I wouldn't be going any further with them and that it could be any number of things.

That other poster is right though. There are so many applying to Accenture and it really is an employer's market now.

Tech solutions, I didn't even get sent any aptitude tests either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 davephpcss

Hey!,

I started a new thread regarding Technology Consulting but I thought i'd also ask a few question here as some are responding who did interview with the different sectors.

I decided to go for Technology consulting because I think I have a very good overview of allot of the IT infrastructure, now reading the threads i'm wondering if I should have applied for Technology solutions also :O,

I'm a decent programmer, but don't see myself sitting programming for the rest of my life infront of a desk, a mixture of both meeting with clients and coming up with a viable solution to be being part of a team that implements the solution would be my ideal job, I know spending one week with a company like accenture I would have a much better understanding of the roles of the different sectors, I do not get a great feel a description of the job from just reading online maybe someone can help me out.

Would anyone have examples of the questions they asked in the competency based test.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

davephpcss wrote: »
    Hey!,

I started a new thread regarding Technology Consulting but I thought i'd also ask a few question here as some are responding who did interview with the different sectors.

I decided to go for Technology consulting because I think I have a very good overview of allot of the IT infrastructure, now reading the threads i'm wondering if I should have applied for Technology solutions also :O,

I'm a decent programmer, but don't see myself sitting programming for the rest of my life infront of a desk, a mixture of both meeting with clients and coming up with a viable solution to be being part of a team that implements the solution would be my ideal job, I know spending one week with a company like accenture I would have a much better understanding of the roles of the different sectors, I do not get a great feel a description of the job from just reading online maybe someone can help me out.

Would anyone have examples of the questions they asked in the competency based test.

Thanks!

You can explain your technical abilities & preferences to the interviewer and if they feel you'd be better in solutions (as a software engineer) then they'll put you forward for that.

What you've described as your ideal job is essentially the role of a software engineer in Accenture :) It is almost always client facing, and what you do is dictated by what project you're working on.

In some projects, your role could be as a programmer adding new functionality or fixing defects. In other projects you could be working on a technical architecture team creating solution blueprints and designs to satisfy client requirements. Being a global company, you quite often need to work with offshore development/design teams so this adds an extra layer to the mix.

I worked as a programmer for 4 years before joining the company, and although I loved it, I started to find it a bit stale and one dimensional after a few years of doing the same thing. I'm much happier in Acn because it's project based so you move around quite a lot and there is variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Accenture Careers Ireland

Hi,

We've noticed the threads with various questions and have decided to set up an official account. Happy to answer any questions where possible.

If you have any questions in relation to your case, just drop us a PM as we'll likely need to refer your case to one of our colleagues and don't want to get into discussing individual circumstances in a thread.

Best of Luck,

Accenture Graduate Recruiting Team

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

We've noticed the threads with various questions and have decided to set up an official account.

Have you discussed this with Dav in the Boards.ie office?

Before you start answering any questions, you need to get in touch with HQ in order to be given an official account.
    Please get in touch with reps@boards.ie and talk to someone there about it.
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 davephpcss

John_Mc wrote: »
    You can explain your technical abilities & preferences to the interviewer and if they feel you'd be better in solutions (as a software engineer) then they'll put you forward for that.

What you've described as your ideal job is essentially the role of a software engineer in Accenture :) It is almost always client facing, and what you do is dictated by what project you're working on.

In some projects, your role could be as a programmer adding new functionality or fixing defects. In other projects you could be working on a technical architecture team creating solution blueprints and designs to satisfy client requirements. Being a global company, you quite often need to work with offshore development/design teams so this adds an extra layer to the mix.

I worked as a programmer for 4 years before joining the company, and although I loved it, I started to find it a bit stale and one dimensional after a few years of doing the same thing. I'm much happier in Acn because it's project based so you move around quite a lot and there is variety.

Thank you John Mc for taking the time to respond it's always good to talk to a person that actually works in Accenture, I now have come to conclusion there is a some what overlap in both fields, I will portray my technically abilities and defiantly put forward the question you suggested, I'm still hazy on the extent of the differences as I would like to be going into Accenture as a Consultant closely linked to and possibly more so hands on as well then other consulting departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

davephpcss wrote: »
    Thank you John Mc for taking the time to respond it's always good to talk to a person that actually works in Accenture, I now have come to conclusion there is a some what overlap in both fields, I will portray my technically abilities and defiantly put forward the question you suggested, I'm still hazy on the extent of the differences as I would like to be going into Accenture as a Consultant closely linked to and possibly more so hands on as well then other consulting departments.

Just to give a little more context here.. there are a couple of other things to consider when deciding which area you would like to work in.

Admittedly, some people from Technology Consulting and Technology solutions work on the same teams and projects and can even be doing similar jobs (You won't always be pigeon holed in each area - If there is demand for someone on a team with certain skills you will be sent to join that project)

Also, the career path and timelines for progression are a little different. From my understanding, within technology consulting there are a smaller number of jumps of rank than there are to Manager level in Technology Solutions. Similarly, and i have no proof of this so dont take it as gospel, i imagine if one is quicker/slower than the other then in terms of job responsibilities and expectations on your shoulders in each of the areas, i imagine they would be different.

It all depends on what you think you are most suited to. Hopefully the extra context helped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

What you've described as your ideal job is essentially the role of a software engineer in Accenture :)It is almost always client facing,

In other words, it's a marketing job.
    and what you do is dictated by what project you're working on.

Isn't that kind of obvious.

A nice constructive post, fair play for your contribution :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

A nice constructive post, fair play for your contribution :)

Just to say something, that is important and not be a smart arse. A lot of these companies are far more about marketing than technical skills.

You might have the greatest technical skills in the world. If they don't think you're that suitable for "customer facing" stuff, you will not get the job.

This can be a real kick in the teeth for young people who've worked hard at building their technical skills, but find it very difficult to get work, because they're not really "marketing material". Actually, being a real techy, could work against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

krd wrote: »
    In other words, it's a marketing job.

The shortsightedness of this is astounding.

I'm assuming what he meant by always client facing is that they are usually working on the client's site.

We have consultants from accenture in with us at the moment and they are essentially part of the team for the period they are with us (about a month so far and another few ahead). They behave and work like the other software engineers on the team, they have their own desks, computers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 redvine

Have an interview with these coming up except for the Technology Consulting?

Does anyone know what people go onto do after working for Accenture after 2-3 years?

Would like to know what career path id be getting into

Advertisement