Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newt defines the Obama administration

Options
  • 16-12-2011 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

Watching the GOP debate last night, Newt Gingrich articulated the essence of the Obama administration in this short segment. Every American should see this clip over and over again leading up to the presidential election. If it doesn’t scare the hell out of you, and cause you to understand how much we need a change from the path taken under the current president's leadership... I don’t know what would.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdh97eGR2IE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

'The Iranians are practicing the closing of the Straits of Hormuz'. No they are not. They are exercising for that should they be pre-emptively attacked. Big difference. So his premise fails to hold up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

How is there a "big difference" between "practicing" and "exercising?"

He is presenting it as a fait accompli, which it isn't.

I admit I had to look that one up. I think you’re splitting hairs there. I highly doubt Iranian’s parliament will wake up one morning and command their fleet to “position themselves today at key spots in the strait and figure out a way to close it down.” If as Parviz Sarvari of Iran’s parliament's National Security Committee stated, "Soon we will hold a military maneuver on how to close the Strait of Hormuz. If the world wants to make the region insecure, we will make the world insecure," plans and tactics are surely already under way and simulations being refined... which most would consider as part of “practicing” IMO.

Amerika wrote: »
    I admit I had to look that one up. I think you’re splitting hairs there. I highly doubt Iranian’s parliament will wake up one morning and command their fleet to “position themselves today at key spots in the strait and figure out a way to close it down.” If as Parviz Sarvari of Iran’s parliament's National Security Committee stated, "Soon we will hold a military maneuver on how to close the Strait of Hormuz. If the world wants to make the region insecure, we will make the world insecure," plans and tactics are surely already under way and simulations being refined... which most would consider as part of “practicing” IMO.

He is making it sound as if Iran are actually doing it, when they are not. He did say practicing not practicing for - one is doing the other isn't. It's a scaremongering exercise over something that isn't happening.

It's probably academic anyway as the window for conventional military types of attacks on their nuclear program pretty much closed over a couple of years ago. Without such an attack any significant interference by Iran in the Straits will have too great a negative political impact. Meanwhile the covert war continues.

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    It's probably academic anyway as the window for conventional military types of attacks on their nuclear program pretty much closed over a couple of years ago.
    It is my understanding that that statement is not entirely true (but I’ve already said too much already :cool:).
    Meanwhile the covert war continues.
    Of that I agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Newt is just a shill for anyone willing to pay him the $$.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Its terrifying how extreme these candidates are. Even bush ran a moderate campaign. Hopefully Mr Paul wins :(

Ron Paul is actually the only one there who is true to conservative beliefs. Newt is a conservative if you pay him enough. Romney just wants to be seen as conservative so get can the nomination. Bachman is an idiot who calls herself a tea party member yet wants to instill her own social conservatism on others. The rest are just fools or nobodies.

I am actually shocked at the low level of candidates on offer from the GOP. Obama was there for the kill. There is no way he should get another term but he will because the GOP are just intellectually retarded. Why is anti-intellectualism such a corner stone of the GOP.

All they want to talk about now is Iran and what they should do to stop them never mind how they are going to pay for it if they go to war again. Why do the GOP like war so much? Did they not learn their lesson in Iraq.

Christ, what the GOP should do is forget war and social conservatism for about 10 years. Fix the ****ing economy and stop the stupid ****ing games. Then they might have some bright young candidates in Washington.

Imagine if Hillary Clinton was a republican. She would be so much of a favorite for the presidency that Obama would probably not seek a 2nd term. Compare her to say Palin. I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Watching the GOP debate last night, Newt Gingrich articulated the essence of the Obama administration in this short segment. Every American should see this clip over and over again leading up to the presidential election. If it doesn’t scare the hell out of you, and cause you to understand how much we need a change from the path taken under the current president's leadership... I don’t know what would.

Whatever the merits/necessity of the pipeline, it's outrageous that the Republicans unashamedly play politics with middle class tax cuts. They're all for giving the wealthy tax cuts, but when it comes to giving the middle class tax cuts then it comes with terms and conditions.

Obama will wipe the floor with any of these candidates. The only one who has a chance of putting up a reasonable argument is Jon Huntsman, who is not going to be selected.

What I'd like to see is a strong win for Obama and a Mike Bloomberg run in 2016. I think an independent President is the best solution for the US at the moment. In the mean time, the fewer Republicans in DC the better.

• Advertisement

Hmmm... Ron Paul... John Huntsman... Mike Bloomberg... Michelle Bachman... Sarah Palin... Hillary Clinton? And of course the biggest lie in politics in that Republicans want to protect the rich when liberals are themselves the best friends of big business.

We see the standard rush to deflect and redirect when you choose to neglect the subject. ;)

Hmmm... Ron Paul... John Huntsman... Mike Bloomberg... Michelle Bachman... Sarah Palin... Hillary Clinton? And of course the biggest lie in politics in that Republicans want to protect the rich when liberals are themselves the best friends of big business.

We see the standard rush to deflect and redirect when you choose to neglect the subject. ;)

both parties are equally beholden to corporate masters.

RichieC wrote: »

Not really. Think about it... when government gets bigger (the goal of liberals and democrats)... the red tape it creates on businesses always increases. Then with high compliance costs, it squeezes out small businesses, leaving only big businesses able to survive with heavy handed government regulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Not really.

Yes really.
    This is not something that's up for debate.

Not really. Think about it... when government gets bigger (the goal of liberals and democrats)... the red tape it creates on businesses always increases. Then with high compliance costs, it squeezes out small businesses, leaving only big businesses able to survive with heavy handed government regulation.

the last republican admin oversaw the largest federal expansion in a half century.

your using crude steriotypes of each party like they're facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Newts baggage has baggage.

He wants the government to execute people for smuggling weed can't think of anything that is more "big gov" than that.

Thats sounds great but is crap. Bush started a war to help out his friends. Both parties are beholden to the corporation. I think its hillarious that you say the above in a thread you started singing praise to Newt of all people!! LOL very ironic.

jank wrote: »
    Thats sounds great but is crap. Bush started a war to help out his friends. Both parties are beholden to the corporation. I think its hillarious that you say the above in a thread you started singing praise to Newt of all people!! LOL very ironic.

The only praises of Newt by me was his uncanny ability to state the obvious about Obama’s leadership... clearly, concisely and assertively.

The only praises of Newt by me was his uncanny ability to state the obvious about Obama’s leadership... clearly, concisely and assertively.

While then being a stooge to what ever lobby pays him the most. Yeap sounds like Washington alright. The GOP are in charge of the house, whats the approval rating for them at them moment?

PJ, I thought you of all people would be sick of this good versus bad, us and them crap that is always playing out in DC. It gets very tiresome especially for someone (me) who has no vested interest to have a democrat in power so save your community college speeches for the canvasers in the fall OK?Lets say for example Newt gets the white house next year, do you honestly think there would be huge changes in his first term?

While then being a stooge to what ever lobby pays him the most. Yeap sounds like Washington alright. The GOP are in charge of the house, whats the approval rating for them at them moment?

PJ, I thought you of all people would be sick of this good versus bad, us and them crap that is always playing out in DC. It gets very tiresome especially for someone (me) who has no vested interest to have a democrat in power so save your community college speeches for the canvasers in the fall OK?Lets say for example Newt gets the white house next year, do you honestly think there would be huge changes in his first term?

Hmmm... So what did you think of Gringrich’s synopsis of President Obama's administration? What do you think of the MSM failure to provide decent reporting on Obama’s stance regarding the Keystone pipeline, or what a failure to go ahead with the project will mean to jobs and our need for oil? Don’t you think this video is something every eligible voting American should see ahead of the election?

• Advertisement

there's some common ground. the news media has failed americans. but it isnt specific to the Obama admin. It has been a mouthpiece for the government years now.

Though I guess thats only an issue when the percieved bias goes against you.

there's some common ground. the news media has failed americans. but it isnt specific to the Obama admin. It has been a mouthpiece for the government years now.

Though I guess thats only an issue when the percieved bias goes against you.

Fair enough, but it is pretty evident which way the MSN bias usually goes. Bill Clinton was pretty honest about it in his recent Bill O'Reilly interview. And his reluctance to comment on some MSM matters was also pretty telling.

of course it is obvious which way the bias goes. the media is corporate owned so the bias is towards them.

I personally laugh every time I hear people say liberal media. It's a cannard. it may well appear liberal when compared to the extreme right FNC, granted. espesially when every third sentance on it references the liberal media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Does Newt religious conversion hinder him or is it an advantage?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Does Newt religious conversion hinder him or is it an advantage?

I'm sure 'Three Wives' Newt will flounder in Evangelical circles. the fact that he converted to Catholicism won't help in the Bible Belt either.

"Them there catholics ain't real Christians, fella..."

Hmmm... So what did you think of Gringrich’s synopsis of President Obama's administration? What do you think of the MSM failure to provide decent reporting on Obama’s stance regarding the Keystone pipeline, or what a failure to go ahead with the project will mean to jobs and our need for oil? Don’t you think this video is something every eligible voting American should see ahead of the election?

This is not the issue. Stand back please so we can look at this from afar. Newt is playing politics probably becasue the energy companies have put some $$ into his pocket to attack obama for stopping this pipeline. In the same vien Obama is playing politics.

This is not the issue.
    Yes... this IS the issue! They should provide better roadmaps over there on the darkside. ;)

Yes... this IS the issue! They should provide better roadmaps over there on the darkside. ;)

I have no idea what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

It may certainly add weight to some peoples argument that a change of direction could be helpful. However the question posed to Newt raises questions about the suitability of the GOP to take over. For example, they came into the house on the back of an anti-incumbancy drive. People were sick of Washington insiders and career politicians doing the same 'ol dirty tricks and here we have repubs attaching an unrelated oil pipeline to a two month extension of a tax cut. However, such antics have always existed in DC, so perhaps they just became alcimatised to how DC works. What is disturbing is that the GOP fought long and hard to ensure a tax break for America wealthiest and yet here they are putting up opposition to a tax break for the middle and lower paid workers. This, despite the fact that the Wealthiest Americans have seen a massive increase in their share of the American pie over the last 3 decades whereas middle class income has stagnated in the same period.
    Don’t you think this video is something every eligible voting American should see ahead of the election?

It's available on youtube so I don't see any reason why they can't see the video. Though while they are at it, they should also read a synopsis of the GOP by the economist and unlike Newt; the economist (which has stronger republican sympathies than Democrat) is not a biased source of opinion.

http://www.economist.com/node/21542180/comments?page=11

two selected extracts which were particularly apt
    Nowadays, a candidate must believe not just some but all of the following things: that abortion should be illegal in all cases; that gay marriage must be banned even in states that want it; that the 12m illegal immigrants, even those who have lived in America for decades, must all be sent home; that the 46m people who lack health insurance have only themselves to blame; that global warming is a conspiracy; that any form of gun control is unconstitutional; that any form of tax increase must be vetoed, even if the increase is only the cancelling of an expensive and market-distorting perk; that Israel can do no wrong and the “so-called Palestinians”, to use Mr Gingrich’s term, can do no right; that the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Education and others whose names you do not have to remember should be abolished.
    A Republican could stake out a way to cut the deficit, reform taxes and refashion government. But instead of businesslike pragmatism, there is zealotry. The candidates have made a fetish out of never raising taxes (even when it involves getting rid of loopholes), while mostly ignoring tough decisions about cutting spending on defence or pensions. Such compassionless conservatism (slashing taxes for the rich and expenditure on the poor) comes with little thought as to which bits of government spending are useful. Investing in infrastructure, redesigning public education and maintaining unemployment benefits in the worst downturn since the Depression are hardly acts of communism.

• Advertisement

sarumite... can you find out who wrote that article in The Economist you linked? I don’t see an author listed, with I consider rather strange. I somehow wouldn’t be surprised if it was someone like Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

Advertisement