Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Met Eireann - Is this the best they can do????

Options
  • 09-12-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

This is the pinnacle of the mighty organisations forecasting abilities:

"Very frosty this morning with icy stretches on the roads. Wintry showers will continue over Ulster, Conacht and west Munster this morning, but will gradually die out later today. Otherwise a bright day but highest temperatures only 4 or 5 degrees. Westerly winds will still be fresh this morning but will ease during the afternoon."

(Couldn't even spell Connaught correctly!)

How much money do these muppets get paid - a truly pathetic service form a national forecasting body.

Rant over - feel much better now :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

IRCA wrote: »

"Very frosty this morning with icy stretches on the roads. Wintry showers will continue over Ulster, Conacht and west Munster this morning, but will gradually die out later today. Otherwise a bright day but highest temperatures only 4 or 5 degrees. Westerly winds will still be fresh this morning but will ease during the afternoon."

How much money do these muppets get paid - a truly pathetic service form a national forecasting body.

Lol. Pedantic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Terrible alright. They left out an 'n'!
    Shoot them all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

They got is wrong too, they said there would be snow in all the provinces but Leinster, but it's just after snowing here in Meath.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Maybe do a little research before a rant? :rolleyes:

The name Connaught is the anglicised (by the British) version of Connacth, so they did not get it too wrong (albeit they missed an 'n'!).

kn2k10 wrote: »
    The got is wrong too, they said there would be snow in all the provinces but Leinster, but it's just after snowing here in Meath.

Their regional forecast for Leinster:

Cold and frosty this morning with icy stretches on untreated roads. Otherwise the day will be bright and sunny and mainly dry except for occasional showers over north Leinster and the north-Midlands during the morning.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Leinster

• Advertisement

rhonin wrote: »

Cold and frosty this morning with icy stretches on untreated roads. Otherwise the day will be bright and sunny and mainly dry except for occasional showers over north Leinster and the north-Midlands during the morning.

Hey, I only read the first page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

rhonin wrote: »

Wait, wait, they never said wintry showers.

:P

Wait, wait, they never said wintry showers.

:P

D'oh! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

kenmc wrote: »
    Lol. Pedantic fail.

I'm so humbled ....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Oh here we go again! :rolleyes:

What is your point? That there was a typo, or that the forecast was wrong? Connacht or Connaught are accepted spellings, so yes, an n was left out, but is that a reason to slate them totally?

The got is wrong too...

??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The omission of that little ole 'n' may indicate more sinister motives and shouldn't be taken lightly... it could be the smoking gun that points to an institutional conspiracy against the West of Ireland.

Imagine if they left the 'o' out of County Galway. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

I note they say it will be a bright day.

hmmm isnt all daylight ?

will it be a dark night i wonder?

snow ghost wrote: »
    The omission of that little ole 'n' may indicate more sinister motives and shouldn't be taken lightly... it could be the smoking gun that points to an institutional conspiracy against the West of Ireland.

Cutbacks. As the province with the most letters, they had to take one out to bring it in line with the others.

Su Campu wrote: »
    Cutbacks. As the province with the most letters, they had to take one out to bring it in line with the others.

Typical, even with Enda being from down here we get nothing as per usual, I'm writing a strongly worded letter of complaint to Luke Ming Flanagan.

Typical, even with Enda being from down here we get nothing as per usual, I'm writing a strongly worded letter of complaint to Luke Ming Flanagan.

Maybe Dara Calleary could do a whip around in light of these cutbacks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

How dare you. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Perhaps they need a new keyboard, those n keys always play up.

Nice video
    Met Eireann celebrates 75th birthday
    http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/1208/media-3135914.html#

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Maybe Dara Calleary could do a whip around in light of these cutbacks?

There has been a moratorium put on all whip arounds Wolfe. ;)

I'm calling them Met Eirean from now on in revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Nice video
    Met Eireann celebrates 75th birthday
    http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/1208/media-3135914.html#

Love what Gerard Fleming says at the end "What's the weather going to be like on October 3rd, and of course we haven't a CLUE really!":D

Did you know Met Eireann is an anagram of 'Trainee Men'

I thought I might add that useless piece of information into this utterly random thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Hey, I only read the first page.

That's your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Spindle wrote: »
    Perhaps they need a new keyboard, those n keys always play up.

I think I know where they got the typewriter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Did you know Met Eireann is an anagram of 'Trainee Men'

I thought I might add that useless piece of information into this utterly random thread :p
    Or....... Are Nite Men :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I bet they wouldn't leave an 'n' out of Dublin, clearly they only care about Dublin and don't give a damn about spelling the rest of the country correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Su Campu wrote: »
    Oh here we go again! :rolleyes:

What is your point? That there was a typo, or that the forecast was wrong? Connacht or Connaught are accepted spellings, so yes, an n was left out, but is that a reason to slate them totally?

in fairness met eireann also had predicted a spell of snow earlier in the week for todayand also for last saturday night/sunday morning which even left you bemused!

yes i know its not an exact science especially with how marginal it is for snow to fall in lower level populated areas but they should be more careful before making such predictions unless nailed on. to be honest i don't see why they forecast beyond 72 hours in their website morning forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Evelyn said in the 75th birthday video that with technology nowadays they can predict 4 days ahead rather than 2 (if I recall correctly). Everytime I watch their 4 day forecast, it always changes by the time the 4th day comes around, so it really isn't better than before.

Also what bugs me is they will give you the 4 day summary and when they show you the summary at the end of the report, the temps and weather symbols are different from what they've just said! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The 88th Foot or Connaught Rangers were raised in 1793 by the Earl of Clanricarde to help counteract the threat from Napoleonic France.

And they became an impressive fighting force and introduced volley firing formations to great effect.

Advertisement