Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to buy new house - mortgage interest relief

Options
  • 07-12-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Am I better waiting till January to buy a house I have deposit on. Or is it the same buying now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I'm no expert on this area by any means but I do know for sure that when he announced this measure yesterday he announced it "from midnight tonight until January 2013". So whatever your position is it won't be improved by waiting until January.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

In the same boat Robbie. Just waiting on the BER cert to sign contracts. Do we wait till January, or just sign now. Am scouring the internet for confirmation it was from midnight last night.

Just found this thread with a quick google, and it seems like you/we can go ahead.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056474893

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

In short and easy terms

before the end of the year you will get 30% TRS .

if you get the mortgage next year it will be 25%

so its not a significant difference but depends on the size of the mortgage and interest rate you have on it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

D3PO wrote: »
    In short and easy terms

before the end of the year you will get 30% TRS .

if you get the mortgage next year it will be 25%

so its not a significant difference but depends on the size of the mortgage and interest rate you have on it I guess.

Im pretty sure you have got that wrong. The 30% TRS has nothing to do with anyone who is not in the 2004-2008 era of purchasing.

OP, as others said sign now or Jan its all the same. You be getting 25% interest relief or basically the current rate. It was meant to go down to 15% in 2012 but the government have rowed back on that and left it at 25% until 2013!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

BlueIsland wrote: »
    Im pretty sure you have got that wrong. The 30% TRS has nothing to do with anyone who is not in the 2004-2008 era of purchasing.

OP, as others said sign now or Jan its all the same. You be getting 25% interest relief or basically the current rate. It was meant to go down to 15% in 2012 but the government have rowed back on that and left it at 25% until 2013!

My bad your right :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

It was 25% on 10,000 euro of your interest in 2011 and 15% on 3000 of your interest in 2012 before yesterday, didn't specify if its now 25% on 3000 or 10000 in yesterday's budget not sure i presumed it remained at 25% of 10,000. Haven't seen it anywhere yet. However if its 25% on 3000 first time buyers still loose out!! If it came into effect last night there's not much can be done now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

You will lose a year of trs if you sign in December.
    Buy in January or you will get roughly 1/12 of your entitlement fr year 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

subway wrote: »
    You will lose a year of trs if you sign in December.
    Buy in January or you will get roughly 1/12 of your entitlement fr year 1

Completely incorrect... You will be entitled to 7 years TRS no matter when you close the purchase, whether it's this side of Christmas or anytime in 2012. It'll make no difference to whether you sign for the house in December or wait till the New Year. TRS next year is remaining unchanged in 2012 as it is this year. If the previous Government's intention to reduce TRS was implemented then there would be an urgency to close the sale before 31/12/2011 but as it stands now 2012 reliefs are the same as 2011 for FTB's so it is exactly the same. TRS will be paid for the next 7 years regardless of whether you close in 2011 or anytime in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Grand, I got a solicitor today so hope to be sorted soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

killers1 wrote: »
    You will be entitled to 7 years TRS no matter when you close the purchase, whether it's this side of Christmas or anytime in 2012.
    This is technically true, but misses the point subway was making.

You get TRS for 7 calendar years, not 7 years from the date of the mortgage. Therefore if you buy today, your first year consists of one month, and is therefore a waste. Buying in Jan would maximise the tax relief.

• Advertisement

wench wrote: »
    This is technically true, but misses the point subway was making.

You get TRS for 7 calendar years, not 7 years from the date of the mortgage. Therefore if you buy today, your first year consists of one month, and is therefore a waste. Buying in Jan would maximise the tax relief.

Incorrect. If you bought mid-year Revenue gave you the full years entitlement over the remaining months in the year e.g. you bought in June 09 you got 12 months TRS over the remaining 6 months in '09. If you buy in Dec the TRS won't kick in till January in any case.

Incorrect. If you bought mid-year Revenue gave you the full years entitlement over the remaining months in the year e.g. you bought in June 09 you got 12 months TRS over the remaining 6 months in '09.

Yes, but it would want to be some mortgage to use up €10,000 of interest on one mortgage payment.

Thank you wench :)

Robbie, in answer to your query it'll make no difference to your TRS if you close in Dec or Jan as it'll take Revenue at least 6 weeks to apply your claim for TRS. Subway & Wench I suggest you seek clarification from the Revenue....Think about it logically, if what you are saying is true (which it's not) why would anyone buy a house in the second half of the year & apply for TRS....?

If you buy in Dec the TRS won't kick in till January in any case.

My understanding is that the first year would be considered 2011.
    The buyer would not have trs applied until 8 weeks or so, but the relief will still be given for an entire year for the december mortgage payment?

Robbie, in answer to your query it'll make no difference to your TRS if you close in Dec or Jan as it'll take Revenue at least 6 weeks to apply your claim for TRS. Subway & Wench I suggest you seek clarification from the Revenue....Think about it logically, if what you are saying is true (which it's not) why would anyone buy a house in the second half of the year & apply for TRS....?
    Well, I study tax part time and this is a scenario that came up in class.
    I am open to correction as I haven't passed my exams yet :)

One of the first things we learn is that tax isn't always fair and doesn't always make sense ;)

If you bought mid-year Revenue gave you the full years entitlement over the remaining months in the year e.g. you bought in June 09 you got 12 months TRS over the remaining 6 months in '09.
    Think about it logically, if what you are saying is true (which it's not) why would anyone buy a house in the second half of the year & apply for TRS....?

If its not true, then why did you agree in your earlier statement?

You still get your full allowance, but your opportunity to use it all up diminishes as the year winds down.

Link to Revenue (for any doubters!)
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/tax-relief-source-mortgage-interest-relief.html#section6

The tax year that your claim falls into is dependent on the date of your first mortgage repayment & not the date of the purchase. If you drawdown a mortgage in Dec 2011 the date of the 1st repayment will be 1 month from that date i.e. sometime in Jan 2012 so therefore you will not lose out by completing the purchase this side of Christmas...

The tax year that your claim falls into is dependent on the date of your first mortgage repayment & not the date of the purchase. If you drawdown a mortgage in Dec 2011 the date of the 1st repayment will be 1 month from that date i.e. sometime in Jan 2012 so therefore you will not lose out by completing the purchase this side of Christmas...
    Are you absolutely certain? Again, my understanding is that The revenue definition is from when interest is first incurred.
    There are lots of other posts asking the same question, but in reverse, ie if I buy in December will I still be eligible for trs. This is from when it looked like no one would get it at all after 31/12.
    The answer they received is that they would get it.

Bit hard to understand now

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm lost too. Friend suggested emailing the query to Newstalk tomorrow, they'll have someone in from PWC to answer the budget questions. Think I'll hold off for another day or so, till this all becomes clear.

Solicitor might know?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CJ1

We are in a similiar position to the OP, gone sale agreed but have not drawn down mortgage just yet. I called Revenue today for clarification on rates of TRS, We are not first time buyers, she confirmed that 2011 and 2012 is same at 15 % for us. She said we can not apply for TRS until after we make our first mortgage payment so I assume that our TRS will start in 2012 and run for 7 years. This is what Killers said I think. I did not ask this specifically though so I am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This was asked on askaboutmoney before and the answers from the revenue that people got there was:-

1) You apply for TRS after your first payment
    2) TRS is calculated from drawdown, not first payment.

Its my understanding that the revenue do use the calendar year for calculation , so this change is a kick in the nuts to those of us that went all out to close in December to try and get the 25% for 2012 instead of 15% TRS as it was before the budget :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CJ1

Now I am totally confused, I may call TRS section tomorrow again and clarify what are the implications between drawing down in december or january.

CJ1 wrote: »
    Now I am totally confused, I may call TRS section tomorrow again and clarify what are the implications between drawing down in december or january.

CJ , I just found this link on the revenue website which explains it pretty well - http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tax-relief-source-mortgage-rates.html

I hadn't realised that TRS ends for everyone in 2017 regardless of when you buy.
    So working out the relief in our case (borrowing 210K over 25 years) :-

1) Buy December - loose out TRS of roughly €350 from 2012 - 2017
    2) Buy January - Gain €350 TRS extra 2012- 2017 however loose out about €145 TRS from December 2011

So a total net loss of about €205 overall by buying in December instead of January.
    However we currently rent so to buy in January would mean an extra months rent which makes it a no brainer, we are still better of buying this December by Rent - €205 :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

CJ1 wrote: »

For anyone closing in December, wait till your first repayment goes through in Jan. When you're completing the TRS application online you enter the date of first repayment. You also enter that 2012 is the first year of your claim. You will get TRS for the next 7 years and not lose out... I assure you...

For anyone closing in December, wait till your first repayment goes through in Jan. When you're completing the TRS application online you enter the date of first repayment. You also enter that 2012 is the first year of your claim. You will get TRS for the next 7 years and not lose out... I assure you...

Actually killers, if you buy in 2012 you will get 6 years TRS not 7
    If you buy in December you will get 6 Years plus 1 month

TRS ends for all in 2017, doesnt matter if you buy in Dec 2011 or Jan 2012

Supercell wrote: »

Actually killers, if you buy in 2012 you will get 6 years TRS not 7
    If you buy in December you will get 6 Years plus 1 month

TRS ends for all in 2017, doesnt matter if you buy in Dec 2011 or Jan 2012

Apologies, when I said 7 yrs I meant till TRS is abolished. Your post above answers all the queries so there should be no further confusion. If you close and claim in Dec you get an extra month of TRS...the reason they are abolishing it in Dec 2017 is to prevent the discussion and decisions people are making as to whether they should close now or not. Simple answer is yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Rent for a year, get 25% off the price of the house not 25% interest relief :rolleyes:

Advertisement