Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not so fast, Raptor!

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maybe that kid was right, they really are just over-sized turkeys :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Not oversized turkeys at all! >:/

I really think the guy is exagerating when he says that he can´t imagine them hunting anything faster than turtles. Short legs don´t necessarily make a predator any less efficient.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the king of the jungle in the New World:

3257232988638e9cd8d1z_1.jpg

jpg_Panthera_onca_c_Giuseppe_Mazza.jpg

Notice anything? Yep, jaguars have extremely short legs compared to their size, yet they are at the top of the food chain wherever they are found, and they succesfully hunt deer, tapir, peccary, and even domestic horses. The thing here is, it doesn´t chase its victim, it ambushes it.
    I have always imagined that raptors wouldn´t chase prey over large distances like wolves or hyenas do (and like most people seemingly imagine them). Instead, they would ambush prey like jaguars and most big cats. And I don´t think anyone would rather be ambushed by a big cat over being chased by wolves; at least you can escape wolves if you manage to climb a tree. It wouldn´t make raptors any less dangerous.

Even more; raptors had long arms, with hooked claws, and seemingly they had wings. Most of them didn´t fly but, I'm thinking they may have been great climbers and leapers. Maybe they would climb a tree and pounce on animals that passed below? Leopards, jaguars and wolverines are known to hunt like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Seems to be the consensus alright Adam. The blog does note that prey items like tenontosaurus and Protoceratops were most likely not all that quick either sp raptors probably didn't need cheetah speed. Indeed, Balaur bondoc is described as being a stocky brawler rather than a sprinter. Perhaps this is actually typical of the dromaeosaurs rather than the speed demons they were often assumed to be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    Seems to be the consensus alright Adam. The blog does note that prey items like tenontosaurus and Protoceratops were most likely not all that quick either sp raptors probably didn't need cheetah speed. Indeed, Balaur bondoc is described as being a stocky brawler rather than a sprinter. Perhaps this is actually typical of the dromaeosaurs rather than the speed demons they were often assumed to be.

Exactly. :) Fits what Kirkland said about Utahraptor being a "powerhouse" and not a sprinter at all according to new remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

As far as I can tell all of the ones with complete legs known seem to be stocky buggers. Balaur, Utahraptor and now Achillobator too.

• Advertisement

True.

And I am most interested on that piece of evidence about Microraptor being able to tackle prey larger than itself.
    Also they said they would check Microraptor for venom gland spaces (like those supossedly found on Sinornithosaurus) and they haven´t said anything about it just yet. I hope they didn´t cancel the study just because some other scientists rejected the venom idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Galvasean wrote: »
    It's my opinion that in nature, one doesn't have to be fast. One just has to be fast enough.
    BTW did that make them any less agile?

Anyway, interestingly enough
    http://theropods.blogspot.com/2011/04/theropod-speed-and-locomotion-part-ii.html

Put Deinonychus at 30-40Mph. That is four time plus faster than most people.
    Not slow.

Now the bigger you get the slower you go, it puts Giga- at 10ish Mph. However one wonders how fast Argentinasaurus moved. My bet is that it wasn't all that zippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I wonder if they climbed trees at all and dropped on prey from above?

Advertisement