Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of energy companies "home services team"

Options
  • 10-10-2011 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

Just a notice to anyone who is considering using you gas providers "home service team" for service, repair or replacement. Ok you can put it on your bill but in the long run it's more expensive than your locally RGI. A boiler change can be up €800 more than a local RGI.

A neighbour of a friend had one of these home team in the repair a gas boiler. It's a glow worm KFB hasn't been used all summer... Straight away Id and most RGI's would know what to check first on a KFB anyway this guy from the home team changed the gas valve. Charged 350€ and left. Broke down again the next day... Called him back and he fitted another part charged another few hundred. Left again broke down again.

I then got a call from this lady after she got fed up with the home team. I fixed the problem €80. That was that all working fine for 2 wks now. She wanted a new boiler before the winter as it's 16 yrs old. Gave her a price and got the go-ahead. I have heard of 5-6 similar stories with home energy teams in recent months so consumers beware. I'm sure other RGI have seen and heard of this carry on.

*(RGI- Registered Gas Installer)*
    Tagged:

Comments

I don't agree they make me look good and cheap:D.

And Just to add €430 plus fitting for a expansion vessel on a heatline S24 or €800 to replace the PCBs on a Chaffataux Britony system 2 :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

This friend of a neighbour - or the other way around- would get a certificate for every occasion an RGI registered fitter/installer works on the heating system.
    This certificate holds an individual number at the top of the form's right corner.Each form has it's own number, like a bank note for exampel.

Would your neighbour or friend tell you (so you can tell us) the individual numbers of the issued certificates please?
    Anonymous but traceable for the NSAI.

Any problem with this?

Oh yes, the "other 5-6 similar stories" as well please......

Consumers be aware that there is now some control. Some don't like this. Well, let's see what they are able to show.....

heinbloed wrote: »
    Consumers be aware that there is now some control. Some don't like this. Well, let's see what they are able to show.....

What control do you think there is?

Gary71 asks:
    What control do you think there is?

The consumers. Let's see what the OP can come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

The prices are crazy that they charge gary... Double and treble what we'd be charging at times. Good point tho "good and cheap" !! Heinbold or whatever your name is... Nothing to do with NSAI the RGII would hold that information if and when cert was returned. Your not a plumber or heating engineer yet you comment regularly here as a know it all. I'm not getting involved in it... It's the customers issue, I've enough to worry about than chasing down some guy who doesn't know what he's doing. The more of them the better for the likes of me and gary.

• Advertisement

Nothing to show, just barking up the tree?

What are you on about? What do want to see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Just a notice to anyone who is considering using you gas providers "home service team" for service, repair or replacement. Ok you can put it on your bill but in the long run it's more expensive than your locally RGI. A boiler change can be up €800 more than a local RGI.

A neighbour of a friend had one of these home team in the repair a gas boiler. It's a glow worm KFB hasn't been used all summer... Straight away Id and most RGI's would know what to check first on a KFB anyway this guy from the home team changed the gas valve. Charged 350€ and left. Broke down again the next day... Called him back and he fitted another part charged another few hundred. Left again broke down again.

I then got a call from this lady after she got fed up with the home team. I fixed the problem €80. That was that all working fine for 2 wks now. She wanted a new boiler before the winter as it's 16 yrs old. Gave her a price and got the go-ahead. I have heard of 5-6 similar stories with home energy teams in recent months so consumers beware. I'm sure other RGI have seen and heard of this carry on.

*(RGI- Registered Gas Installer)*

In Feb 2011 the APHCI-Association Of Plumbing And Heating Contractors Of Ireland was set-up, to give us a voice. We have linked up with a long established group in cork and have members all over the country now- North South East West.

We set up the APHCI because of many issues but mainly due to the SEAI grants- Penalty points, 10sq earth, etc and Bord Gais dominance in the market- Using the customers base we gave them down thru the years as theyre own for boiler upgrades etc, Offering 0% finance which is putting the small contractor out of business.

We got on to government and seai about our concerns but they didnt want to know. We recently got advise and found out EU law was being infringed...Now government is all ears. We met with the top man in seai also and he now wants to listen to us.

This is a brief overview of whats happening..... We have a very very important meeting in the RED COW HOTEL ON 8TH SEP 2011 we need you, the RGI contractors there for a vote on all this, but you need to be registered with the aphci. If you are registered with aphci please arrive at 6.50-7pm. If you are not arrive at 6pm.

Please attend if at all possible. Tell fellow RGI about this and the APHCI. We have made huge gains in a few short months. We need you there to secure a desent future for our industry. Thanks for reading. PM me or email spireland32@gmail.com with any queries.

I for one see a conflict of interest.

It's the same conflict... Big energy companies who make huge profits as it is against small contractors trying to make a living. What's the problem donedl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I got a call today, a man in my area got them in as he got a voucher when he switched supplier for a boiler service. They came and half way trough he said he must terminate the service as there is a gas leak on the main probably at the fire, he must now hire an RGI to locate and fix leak before the sevice can finish. I asked the man why didn't the person servicing the boiler fix the leak? He said " I asked him that and he said that he doesn't do that kind of work :confused:" He then told me that he has shut the gas down. I asked him did he say how much the test had dropped to which the man replied 2mbar:eek:. The engineer should go back to is813 and look up the section on soundness testing where is states "a pressure drop of 2.5mbar is acceptable on an existing installation".

Unfortunately I could not help the man due to work load and gave him some real gas fitter's numbers.

That's my tupins.

• Advertisement

Not if he smelt it:P

DoneDL wrote: »
    I for one see a conflict of interest.
    I feel violated:eek:

I think the APHCI will become a good thing if we all support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

gary71 wrote: »
    Not if he smelt it:P

+1. This idea that large suppliers with fitters are under contract to them does not mean that you will get a bad service. We don`t know for sure that the information we get second or third hand is reliable but I dislike an obvious conflict of interest. Independent installers are more reliable because if they are not they will not survive.

Where's the conflict of interest? I'm a member of the APHCI as is johnniek. I do agree with the second and third hand info can get muddled and bits added on. Obviously not all fitters with home teams are bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056420485

http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/deals/recent

a new low ? €36 euro for a gas boiler service and can't blame new '18 day wonders' these lads seem to be round a while

would anyone on here seriously do a boiler service for €36 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

knighted_1 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056420485

http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/deals/recent

a new low ? €36 euro for a gas boiler service and can't blame new '18 day wonders' these lads seem to be round a while

On this site i doubt it but a lot of home owners will be happy to take up the offer who know they will be living within there insurence policy requirements.

afic its just a prom offer for advertising anyway... Personally i would not use board gas eirtricity or the esb for a boiler service. I generally use the same plumber. I know what he is required to do, he does it and checks the pipe work elsewhere as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

sorry joey , advise and opinion are two different things . advice can be backed up by fact and referenced to a source . what you tend to give is your opinion . I want advice and answers not your opinion ,thanks anyway .

bord gais is not mentioned in my links , theses guys are plumbers sinking to a new low on price , way undercutting the 18 day trainees .

my question again would anyone who is registered and qualified do a service for €36 ? please only answer if your doing this line of work

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

why didnt that chap do a soundness test before he started the service like he should have???

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Re Annex E and existing installation soundness, and the allowable drop of 2.5mbar over a 2 minute test

2.5 mbar was introduced as a figure of a maximum drop (leak) of gas allowed on an existing installation, BUT, if an rgi finds this and cannot repair, he MAY decide to leave the gas on PENDING RECTIFICATION if HE DEEMS IT SAFE, remember it's his name on the cert, I would not hang any installer out to dry over isolating an installation on the basis that he did not feel it was safe.

I thought as professionals working with gas we would always err on the sde of caution, a leak of gas is not going to get better is it.

• Advertisement

Very short answer. NO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Had the 'home energy team' out to the last place I was renting, the landlord arranged it after we moved in.

The first appointment and the guy never turned up, no explanation. I was sitting at home all day from 11am waiting for him to appear. Rescheduled for another day and he turns up, hoovers out the boiler and then just leaves. Never bothered to check if the rads needed bleeding or if they were even heating at all, maybe you folks in the know here can advise if you think this is standard practice?

DGOBS wrote: »
    Re Annex E and existing installation soundness, and the allowable drop of 2.5mbar over a 2 minute test

2.5 mbar was introduced as a figure of a maximum drop (leak) of gas allowed on an existing installation, BUT, if an rgi finds this and cannot repair, he MAY decide to leave the gas on PENDING RECTIFICATION if HE DEEMS IT SAFE, remember it's his name on the cert, I would not hang any installer out to dry over isolating an installation on the basis that he did not feel it was safe.

I thought as professionals working with gas we would always err on the sde of caution, a leak of gas is not going to get better is it.

Quite true, but the thing that gets me is they don't even isolate the appliances to see if it's on the carcase pipework or not. If it was on the carcase then I would understand a shut down. To test at the meter and isolate with such a small drop without shutting the appliances off first is just lazy. I was always thought to test, shut off appliances, test again, turn on one by one to determin where the leak is and which appliance it is on. The other thing about the post I put up was that he said the BG serviced it every other year and nothing like this happened. I told him that BG only test the boiler (isolate and test from appliance valve to appliance gas valve). He asked why and to be honest I didn't know what to say to him.

Tails142 wrote: »
    Had the 'home energy team' out to the last place I was renting, the landlord arranged it after we moved in.

The first appointment and the guy never turned up, no explanation. I was sitting at home all day from 11am waiting for him to appear. Rescheduled for another day and he turns up, hoovers out the boiler and then just leaves. Never bothered to check if the rads needed bleeding or if they were even heating at all, maybe you folks in the know here can advise if you think this is standard practice?

Unfortunately when they regulated the gas industry they never bothered to regulate whats done on a service. Annex C is what's performed on a service and part of Annex C states that it should be done in accordance with manufacturers instructions. There is a section of the manual that comes with every boiler called servicing and this should be done annually and it more than just a hoover.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

sorry joey , advise and opinion are two different things . advice can be backed up by fact and referenced to a source . what you tend to give is your opinion . I want advice and answers not your opinion ,thanks anyway .

bord gais is not mentioned in my links , theses guys are plumbers sinking to a new low on price , way undercutting the 18 day trainees .

my question again would anyone who is registered and qualified do a service for €36 ? please only answer if your doing this line of work

Thats true advice and opinion are 2 different things and my opinion would be that no one is expected to do a service or will do a service for 36 euro but my advice would be if there is the possibility of a lot of publicity to be gained and a cert of conformance then yes i would do the service for 36 euro if i was qualified. The fact that we are discussing it is prooof that it works....Thanks for pointing that out .

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't allow any drop. If it drops, it must be found or re route is strongly advised.

SEAI, The destination they are taking the industry is productive and should be welcomed, how they are getting there is questionable.

Spraying the test nipple is classed as a soundness test, this is a agreement between Rgi and Bg:eek:

While I'm at it, why is Bg allowed to test a flue cold and then hot to prove the worth of a service, it's a bloody lie and designed to fool their customers:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

gary71 wrote: »
    Spraying the test nipple is classed as a soundness test, this is a agreement between Rgi and Bg:eek:

To be fair, it makes sense. If you are only testing the nipple. I like to through my gauge over the closed nipple just to be sure.

Paranoia, every good gas person should have a healthy dose of it :P

• Advertisement

To meet the soundness test requirements of annex c a gauge isn't required spraying the nipple is enough, if the gauge is on to check working pressure why encourage engineers not to use a device designed just for that purpose?

Advertisement