Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I never know how to choose my foundation, I never know if I should go for liquid or powder or what shade. I have combination skin (oily forehead but dry chin and nose).

So I went to the Benefit counter for advice. The girls applied their Playstick foundation, shade Tea Party. It looked great! Perfect shade and good coverage and felt very light too. So I bought it.

Unfortunately after using it for 4-5 days, it completely dried up my face :(. My chin and nose were peely and flaky and I even had red irritated skin along my jaw line :(. So that didn't work for me at all. I didn't kept the receipt as it looked so good at first I never thought I would have to return it!

So I am back to square one. What type of foundation is the best for combination skin? Liquid? Powder? Mousse?

Liquid I would say.

Stick foundations can be really dodgy, so I'm not too surprised the Benefit one didn't work. Dewy foundation is your best bet, then put some powder over it to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

lizt wrote: »
    no probs ill hav a search myself and see what i can come up with

I find No7 mascaras quite good as well as max factor ones. Currently I'm using Benefit's They're Real but it's quite expensive so I really only use it for nights out!

Thanks for that i really wanna try the benefit one but might try one of no7 ones in meantime as i hav a 7.50 voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I never know how to choose my foundation, I never know if I should go for liquid or powder or what shade. I have combination skin (oily forehead but dry chin and nose).

So I went to the Benefit counter for advice. The girls applied their Playstick foundation, shade Tea Party. It looked great! Perfect shade and good coverage and felt very light too. So I bought it.

Unfortunately after using it for 4-5 days, it completely dried up my face :(. My chin and nose were peely and flaky and I even had red irritated skin along my jaw line :(. So that didn't work for me at all. I didn't kept the receipt as it looked so good at first I never thought I would have to return it!

So I am back to square one. What type of foundation is the best for combination skin? Liquid? Powder? Mousse?

I've the same problem only benefit gave me a liquid foundation that dried on my face making my nose area flake badly.
    ...and I wear moisturiser :-s

Reading this I'm tempted to try the Chanel aqua foundation? (still deciding based on the reviews from this site!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

I told myself that because I bought the 15th anniversary palette like a month ago I wouldn't get this one too... but I couldn't resist :o

Urban Decay Volume IV

Urban-Decay-Book-of-Shadows-Vol.-IV-Photos-and-Swatches.jpg

Love love love the neutrals as always, but the greens, golds and blues are fab too!! Delighted with myself. Only €46 at the moment too, Debenhams have 10% off them right now :)

Hi Michellenman,
    That is just fab, been looking on debenhams online and they dont seem to have it, did you get yours in the store?

I have a feeling it's going to sell out pretty quick so i'm going to head into town tomorr to get my paws on it
    Can't wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

pushki wrote: »
    Hi Michellenman,
    That is just fab, been looking on debenhams online and they dont seem to have it, did you get yours in the store?

I have a feeling it's going to sell out pretty quick so i'm going to head into town tomorr to get my paws on it
    Can't wait
    I got my brother out of bed extra early to go in and buy it for me :D
    but then he proceeded to wind me up saying it sold out yesterday.

the fecker :) cant wait to get home now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Oh God, I want that palette so badly. I only have....4 palettes from UD so far, one more isn't too excessive right? Right?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

Not sure if you are near an inglot, but they do really nice AMC liquid foundation. Maybe they have testers you could try.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

I would be quite similar to you - oily t-zone, but with dry areas on my cheeks.
    I've been using the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua for a few months now, and love it, but the price tag is a little much, so I went and bought L'oreal True Match liquid foundation 2 weeks ago, and I am smitten!
    It's €15 so won't break the bank, readily available and comes in 25 different shades. I'm a mix between C1 Rose Ivory, and C2 Rose Vanilla.
    It's a medium coverage, and is very lightweight on the skin.
    I tend to set my makeup with powder - at the moment I'm using Rimmel Stay Matte as I ran out of my Mac Mineralised Skin Finish Natural, but it's doing the job just fine.
    I'm in work a good 10 hours a day, and it looks just as nice as when I applied it.
    There are loads of reviews on youtube if you want to try it out.
    :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Novella wrote: »
    im_1-3.jpg

1000 Hour Nail Foils, in red. Gonna pop these on soon so I'll post about 'em in the nail varnish thread.

I got these in Black today. They were €4.50 in Penneys (in Dundrum anywho), but I saw the exact same in another chemist for nearly 8 quid! Just something for peeps to be aware of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

pushki wrote: »
    Hi Michellenman,

Can't wait

Hey! Yeah I got it instore in Blanch. The girl in the store said it came in much earlier than they were expected which could explain why it isn't online yet. There were a fair few left when I was in there this evening! :)

It's limited edition so once it's gone it's gone! It's beautiful, I've been playing with it all day. Not mad of the mascara but the eyeliner is great, liquid waterproof and the blackest of black. Mini SQUEEZABLE primer potion is fab as always. It comes with a portable MP3 speaker which is a bit unnecessary but oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I want that Book of Shadows palette so bad, they didn't have it in House of Fraser though, and won't have it for "another week or two" :mad:

In other news, I got a good bit of stuff last night from Penneys and McCabes in Dundrum. I got a few of those new crackle nail polishes that are €2.75 in Penneys - cannae wait to try them out! I got a fantasic looking blue eyeliner from the Catrice Out of Space collection and some of these Made to Stay eyeshadows. The swatches on the website are cack.

I also got this: Botanics Soothing Eye Make Up Remover. It was about €4.50 and it's absolutely brilliant! You have to shake it to mix the water and oil, but nothing is too difficult for it to remove. It's on 3 for 2 at the moment so I got some other Botanics stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

booboo88 wrote: »
    Tell me to mind my own business, but are you sure those products are genuine?

Looking at the feedback of the seller of the MAC Lipstick, I would have serious doubts about the authenticity of MAC or any other branded make up items they are selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Looking at the feedback of the seller of the MAC Lipstick, I would have serious doubts about the authenticity of MAC or any other branded make up items they are selling.

Had a look at that there... There is a lot more positive than negative feedback regarding the lipstick.

How can you tell if its a fake?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'd be worried about the eyeliner - the description just says "black gel liner", no mention of Mac, only in the picture. Could get anything!

Had a look at that there... There is a lot more positive than negative feedback regarding the lipstick.

How can you tell if its a fake?
    I am not saying either of the products are definitely fake, I don't know for sure, the price of each products and the fact that the seller has some negative feedback regarding the lipsticks and the fact that they have sold a number of the same lipsticks (in different colours) would arouse my suspicions.

In town today a chemist had some Lancôme products reduced in price so I picked up an eyeshadow for €10.

Lancôme 'Ombré Magnetique' Eyeshadow in "03G Black Macadam"

Lancome-Ombre-Magnetique.jpg

I'll use it as an eyeliner rather than eye shadow.

thats why i only paid 6 eur, I paid with paypal so if it isnt genuine, i'll be looking for a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

I bought my Urban Decay IV set, it's soo fab, the speaker thing is a bit random though, colours are fab and can't wait to try them out!

On a separate note I also bought the GOSH lip marker in pink today 6.99 on special offer. the colour was gorgeous, really pigmented and bright but it really dried out my lips.
    I'd recommend this if you like long lasting colour and dont like lipstick, but love long lasting lipstain, remember to apply lip balm too :)

I'd definitely purchase this again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

anniehoo wrote: »
    Wore it again today,just to make sure it wasnt a one-day-wonder. Still a big thumbs up from me. Going to get the dark grey one this week too.

I went in search of this in penneys and dunnes in dublin but couldn't find them :( are they new out? maybe i'll have to wait a bit...saw a rimmel one that looks similar. I just swatched it but it dried in so well on my hand I could hardly get it off...still though might be worth a try!

• Advertisement

question for ye though. have any of ye bought the benefit erase paste and the pore fessional i think its called?

im definately buying the porefessional and it does work, but it the erase paste any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

question for ye though. have any of ye bought the benefit erase paste and the pore fessional i think its called?

im definately buying the porefessional and it does work, but it the erase paste any good?

I used to swear by erase paste up until a few weeks ago, and I still think it is great for blemishes but its just not covering my dark circles anymore :( ! his may be due to the fact that my dark circles are getting darker as I'm getting older:rolleyes: !

Instead I've found Essence Forget it 3 in 1 concealer which I think is fab! Its less than 3euro! It has a colour palette of pink, green and beige. I use the pink to disguise my dark circles with a little bit of the beige on top. The green helps with my blemishes around my nose, the only think I will say about the green is that a little goes along way!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I've had both. Erase Paste is really thick in consistency so I imagine it'd be good for covering dark circles. I'm pretty lucky though in that I never really need concealer so it's a product that is kind of lost on me. I have actually heard a lot of great reviews about Laura Mercier concealer so if I was buying, that's what I'd look into personally.

As for Porefessional, again, think this was lost on me. My opinion is that it is way over-priced 'cause it doesn't last long at all.

I do actually love Benefit but these 2 products are things I wouldn't buy again. That said, different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Mac Liberty of London is one of the common fakes so I think you are correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I am not saying either of the products are definitely fake, I don't know for sure, the price of each products and the fact that the seller has some negative feedback regarding the lipsticks and the fact that they have sold a number of the same lipsticks (in different colours) would arouse my suspicions.

Yeh I'd be wary about it as well.

Do you think the people that left the positive feedback just don't realise it's a fake?

Pythia wrote: »
    Mac Liberty of London is one of the common fakes so I think you are correct.

how do you tell though?:o
    cuz being honest i just liked the colour of the lipstick and the pretty cover.

im completely put off ebay now,

how do you tell though?:o
    cuz being honest i just liked the colour of the lipstick and the pretty cover.

im completely put off ebay now,

I don't see a name on the lipstick you bought but the colours sold under Liberty of London were: Ever Hip, Peachstock, Petals and Peacocks and Blooming Lovely. No lipsticks with the 'frost' finish were made. No pinky red lipsticks were made.

You can see pics of the lipsticks made in the collection here: http://www.temptalia.com/mac-give-me-liberty-of-london-lipstick-reviews-photos-swatches

If I were you I wouldn't buy Mac on ebay. It's too risky.

Im curious now, if you bring it into mac, would they take it off you?

Im curious now, if you bring it into mac, would they take it off you?

No, of course not. Why would you bring it there though?

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote: »
    No, of course not. Why would you bring it there though?

Just to check with them, im not saying ye dont know yer stuff, but just out of curiosity.

Advertisement