Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steak - how to cook and what to have with it {Mega Merge!}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

listermint wrote: »
    30 Minute steak :eek: :eek: Id need alot of convincing ALOT
    I cook it nice and slow. The benefit is that it will be cooked all the way through (no red in the steak at all), and that it won't be burnt. Too many times "well done" equals a lump of charcoal in front of you, with some red uncooked part still in the centre...

The con of course is the rumble in the stomach when the belly starts to smell the steak, but meh, it's worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

attachment.php?attachmentid=149971&stc=1&d=1298946078

Well done, but not black. Added a few fried spuds.

attachment.php?attachmentid=149972&stc=1&d=1298946104

Steak sambo, with a mug of tea to wash it down.

Photo's taken with camera phone. May take them with DSLR next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why would you want it cooked all the way through.
    I agree it sounds better than burnt well-done, but it still soungs like a well done, overcooked, piece of meet.

Mid-rare FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

Try steak with some grilled peach! Sounds a bit odd but you eat Pork with apple sauce.... This is really tasty and it works

Steak with Grilled Peach and
    Chicory, Fennel, Rocket,Toasted Hazelnut Salad

link to blog post

Steak-Grilled-peach-Chicory-Fennel-Toasted-Hazelnut-4.jpg

<Post from my own blog>

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Do you guys ever seal a steak in the pan and then transfer it to oven and cook that way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

I once bought a few sirloin steaks that were tough and chewy (maybe not hung long enough?) so, after failing with the first 2, I simply seared the next 2 and threw them into the slow cooker for a few hours. They were scrumptious :) Obviously, much more well done than I normally like them, but definitely more edible with human teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I always make a mess of this.

- I'd like it to be quite well done on the outside and tender and a little pink on the inside - no blood running off plate please.... (Would that be called medium?)

Have no notion how to achieve this without cutting steak for a look each time and that doesn't go well either :(

Timing it won't do either as they are always different sizes and thicknesses?

- Is there different instructions/methods for say a sirloin and then a thicker fillet steak?

Any help appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

I ain't no chef but don't have the heat too high or you just burn it on the outside.

Now a chef did tell me how to gauge how its cooked..by pressing on the steak whilst cooking and comparing to this..put you thumb and forefinger together and feel just under your thumb. That is rare.

Putting your thumb & middle finger together and feel under your thumb. That's medium rare.

Putting your thumb & third finger together and feel under your thumb. That's medium .

Putting your thumb & little finger together and feel under your thumb. That's well done .

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

The Varg does illustrate a technique to determine doneness (the softer it feels when pressed, the rarer it is). Steaks though should be seared quickly on a high heat so it's important to cook them on a very hot surface.

If you have a thick cut of meat you can sear the two sides and then stick it in the oven for a few minutes to cook the inside to your preferred temp/doneness.

It's also important to take it off the heat a little earlier than your preferred temp and let it rest for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

the_syco wrote: »
    Cover the frying pan and leave it cook for 30 minutes or so, flipping it every so often.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

30 minutes?? Overcooked, steamed steak??? :eek:

You'd really want to have top notch quality beef for that not to be a dried up piece of rubber and even then..

Pan needs to be hot hot hot. Sear the room temperature steak.
    • If it's a thick steak (ie fillet) - into the oven to cook the inside
    • If it's a regular steak (ie rib eye, striploin etc) - sear in pan to preferred doneness
    • REST

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

personally, it should be as hot as you can get it. oil the steak, not the pan and get a good heavy cast iron griddle pan to do the job properly.

start with as good a piece of meat as you are comfortable paying for, you won't gt a good steak for nothing and you will usually get what you pay for, altho not always. i had some pretty expensive tesco (yes, my mistake!) finest aged angus striploins a couple of years ago and they were awful.

on the other hand, the steaks in aldi are usually very good, i'm quite partial to their ribeye's which have always turned out very nicely.

24 hours in a ziplock bag of teriyaki marinade will help too. :)

i've also done cheaper cuts packed in rock salt for 60 minutes prior to cooking (then rinse in fresh water, then pat dry) and it comes out very tender (but not at all salty).

put your griddle pan on to heat up (dry, no oil) and don't even think about putting a steak near it till it's good and smokey and flicked water on it from your fingers turns to steam almost instantly.

i do my aldi ribeye's in the griddle pan for 2 minutes and then turn 90 degrees and cook 2 more minutes on the same side before flipping over and doing another 2 mins, turn 90 and 2 more minutes and it's usually cooked perfectly on the outside and rare/medium rare inside with cross cut sear marks on each side (aesthetics help :)).

if it's a thicker bit of meat, it'll go in the oven for a bit and i also use the vargs method for checking doneness.

that said, i'm happy to eat it as rare as it comes, although my wife won't let me order blue steaks any more if we're out as it puts her off her own meal, but as far as i'm concerned cooking it at all is entirely optional with beef. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Can anybody tell me which cut is better for a steak? Striploin or Sirloin?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Thanks!

I personally prefer the striploin. It's the t-bone without the bone, more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Thanks!

IMO Striploin is a far superior cut.

definitely striploin. look for good thick cuts (or get your butcher to cut them fresh for you) with a good bit of fat marbled through it.

personally though, if i have a choice i usually go for a porterhouse if available, or a good thick ribeye now for cooking at home. it's usually a fattier cut, but much nicer for it imho. had some last weekend that got marinated in teriyaki for 24 hours and then thrown on the BBQ. nom noms! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Definitely striploin, but to be fair about it, if you're cooking sirloin, you don't want to be doing it on a pan, but under the grill/broiler, or you'll overcook it far too easily, and I think that's why most people think it's so tough.

Can't say I'd go with the ribeye vibe, it's both fillet and striploin in a single steak and by the time one's cooked properly, the other is either underdone or overdone.

Sparks wrote: »
    Can't say I'd go with the ribeye vibe, it's both fillet and striploin in a single steak and by the time one's cooked properly, the other is either underdone or overdone.
    that depends very much on how you like your steak. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Definitely striploin, but to be fair about it, if you're cooking sirloin, you don't want to be doing it on a pan, but under the grill/broiler, or you'll overcook it far too easily, and I think that's why most people think it's so tough.

Sometimes, if sirloin is on offer, I'll buy a large piece. I keep it in the fridge for a few days to dry out a bit, then cut it into thick steaks, sized as I see fit. It cooks really nicely like that.

T bone is both striploin and fillet.
    Ribeye is rib.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

T bone is both striploin and fillet.
    Ribeye is rib.
    Is it? I always thought Porterhouse, T-bone and Ribeye were all the same cut, just from further along the cow (ribeye being closer to the front, T-bone closer to the back and Porterhouse in between the two), and ribeye was just after the end of the bone segment in the t-bone (but still had the same muscle groups)?

Is it? I always thought Porterhouse, T-bone and Ribeye were all the same cut, just from further along the cow (ribeye being closer to the front, T-bone closer to the back and Porterhouse in between the two), and ribeye was just after the end of the bone segment in the t-bone (but still had the same muscle groups)?

As I understand it, Porterhouse and T bone are very similar (Porterhouse has more fillet) but ribeye is a different cut altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

As I understand it, Porterhouse and T bone are very similar (Porterhouse has more fillet) but ribeye is a different cut altogether.
    Rib eye has to be cooked to medium to melt the nub of fat in the centre of the cut

duploelabs wrote: »
    Rib eye has to be cooked to medium to melt the nub of fat in the centre of the cut

That's a matter of opinion.

oh yes indeedy it is. if it's not still mooing, it's overcooked. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sparks wrote:

Porterhouse if essentially a T-Bone with a larger fillet portion, you have it backwards above and the porterhosue is further to the back than normal t-bone. As the fillet tapers off, a T-bone becomes a striploin.

But ribeye is cut from the ribs, different muscle altogether, lots of marbling but the stuff falls apart when cooked right.

Mellor wrote: »
    Porterhouse if essentially a T-Bone with a larger fillet portion, you have it backwards above and the porterhosue is further to the back than normal t-bone. As the fillet tapers off, a T-bone becomes a striploin.

But ribeye is cut from the ribs, different muscle altogether, lots of marbling but the stuff falls apart when cooked right.
    dammit, now i'm just starving for a nice juicy steak. :D

And i like driving my ferrari in reverse all the time, but that's how I like it.

And i like driving my ferrari in reverse all the time, but that's how I like it.
    hardly the same thing now is it?

if you weren't going to eat the fat in the middle of a ribeye, why would it even matter that it wasn't perfectly melted if the rest of the steak (that you are going to eat) was cooked to your liking?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

Do you have to ask in a butchers for porterhouse steak? because I can never seen it in my local butcher shop's. I've seen T-bone.

vibe666 wrote: »
    hardly the same thing now is it?

if you weren't going to eat the fat in the middle of a ribeye, why would it even matter that it wasn't perfectly melted if the rest of the steak (that you are going to eat) was cooked to your liking?

Well, unlike other steak cuts, rib-eye has a huge amount of connective tissue in it. This connective tissue has a higher melting point then all other parts. If you don't heat the meat to a high enough level, usually indicated by the nub of fat in the middle melting, then the cut will be stringy and chewy if you cook it to just 54 degrees.
    Why is this cut of meat popular then? Well the connective tissue as it melts, flavours and moistens the meat, so therefore if you cook it to 71 degrees (medium) it will be flavourful and juicy, far more so that if you cooked a different cut of steak to medium.

• Advertisement

Well, unlike other steak cuts, rib-eye has a huge amount of connective tissue in it. This connective tissue has a higher melting point then all other parts. If you don't heat the meat to a high enough level, usually indicated by the nub of fat in the middle melting, then the cut will be stringy and chewy if you cook it to just 54 degrees.
    Why is this cut of meat popular then? Well the connective tissue as it melts, flavours and moistens the meat, so therefore if you cook it to 71 degrees (medium) it will be flavourful and juicy, far more so that if you cooked a different cut of steak to medium.
    touché! :)

you crazy guys and your science! i just cook mine till it looks done and then eat it. :pac:

Advertisement