Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year of the French 1798

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Here's an image of "An Old Highland Fencible Corps" aka Mackay's highlanders from its history by Captain I.H. Mackay Scobie of the Essex regiment. 1914[Embedded Image Removed]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

And the opposition[Embedded Image Removed]

[Embedded Image Removed]
    This charming device was known as the triangle. Is it the one referred to in "the Auld triangle, goes jingle jangle all along the banks of the Royal canal" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

In the interests of balance! Scullabogue Barn.

Thomas%20Pakenham-685376.jpg

It's interesting how stylised most of the images are from the period. It's also interesting that there are much fewer images depicting the cruelty of the authorities.
    Here's a fairly unstylised image.[Embedded Image Removed]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

In the interests of balance! Scullabogue Barn.

Thomas%20Pakenham-685376.jpg
    I think the above was one of several melodramatic propaganda pieces by a George Cruikshank half a century after 1798. ( He also did similiar with regard to rebellions in China etc)

HellsAngel wrote: »
    I think the above was one of several melodramatic propaganda pieces by a George Cruikshank half a century after 1798. ( He also did similiar with regard to rebellions in China etc)

While nobody would dispute the partisan efforts of Cruikshank, the fact remains that in excess of 120 men, women and children were murdered at Scullabogue - only 8 of whom were Roman Catholic. The details, including actual names etc of the victims, are contained in Musgrave's tome.Two of my ancestors, children at the time, were rescued from the barn before it was torched - through the intervention of an RC priest. Bagenal Harvey, the Rebel Commander in Wexford, was also a relative by marriage - a small world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Two of my ancestors, children at the time, were rescued from the barn before it was torched - through the intervention of an RC priest. Bagenal Harvey, the Rebel Commander in Wexford, was also a relative by marriage - a small world.

Thanks JD, out of interest,out of interest who was the priest.

CDfm wrote: »
    Thanks JD, out of interest,out of interest who was the priest.

I think that his name was Shallow or Sparrow but I'll check and PM you later. :)

I think that his name was Shallow or Sparrow but I'll check and PM you later. :)
    I've come across a reference to a Robert Sparrow who was a Quaker. Will post a link later if wanted.

• Advertisement

Came across this while looking for the priest's name: Cobbett's complete collection of state trials and proceedings for ..., Volume 10 By William Cobbett, David Jardine http://books.google.ie/books?id=pUAOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PT528&lpg=PT528&dq=scullabogue+%2Blett&source=bl&ots=9p1XKY9NUr&sig=u-duXSvVPXt8GiN0-0MzLxEQ0Bg&hl=en&ei=xZFSTuv8DtOzhAey2ujQBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CC8Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=scullabogue%20%2Blett&f=false

More fascinating information naming people at Scullabogue - I haven't looked at it at all yet so dig in. :D

While nobody would dispute the partisan efforts of Cruikshank, the fact remains that in excess of 120 men, women and children were murdered at Scullabogue - only 8 of whom were Roman Catholic. The details, including actual names etc of the victims, are contained in Musgrave's tome.Two of my ancestors, children at the time, were rescued from the barn before it was torched - through the intervention of an RC priest. Bagenal Harvey, the Rebel Commander in Wexford, was also a relative by marriage - a small world.
    The burning of Scullabogue happened in the highly charged atomsphere due to the burning to death of hundreds of surrendered and wounded rebels along with civilans accused of been sympathetic to the rebels in New Ross. It's been said that more rebels were killed in the massacres after the battle than during the actual fighting.

I have heard different numbers for those killed in Scullabogue barn were Catholic, but maybe it was 8. But I have also heard that those who set fire to it also contained some Protestants, the number I'm not sure of.

There is considerable confusion about the exact numbers of Rebels killed at New Ross but it was a bloodbath. The burning of the wounded etc. in a makeshift hospital is disputed but I haven't a handy link. There is no doubt that the more you read on the subject the more confusing it can become. Some accounts are clearly biased yet full of contemporary facts and figures (Musgrave, Taylor etc) others are written from a personal level (Diary of Barbara Newton Lett - father killed on the bridge at Wexford) and others such as (The Memoirs of Miles Byrne) too long after the event. That the victors wrote the dominant histories is true and trying to establish the truth is a minefield.

1798 - even restricted to the South East - would make a great movie, the equal to Braveheart any day. Spielberg is supposed to have said that he wants to make such a movie http://www.thefreelibrary.com/SPIELBERG'S+ON+CUE+FOR+REBEL+EPIC.-a061131572 and one hopes that if he does all sides will be happy. It's all there, heroism at New Ross, foolhardiness General Custer style at Tubberneering, the epic battle at Vinegar Hill, torture and treachery on both sides....

There is considerable confusion about the exact numbers of Rebels killed at New Ross but it was a bloodbath. The burning of the wounded etc. in a makeshift hospital is disputed but I haven't a handy link. There is no doubt that the more you read on the subject the more confusing it can become. Some accounts are clearly biased yet full of contemporary facts and figures (Musgrave, Taylor etc) others are written from a personal level (Diary of Barbara Newton Lett - father killed on the bridge at Wexford) and others such as (The Memoirs of Miles Byrne) too long after the event. That the victors wrote the dominant histories is true and trying to establish the truth is a minefield.

1798 - even restricted to the South East - would make a great movie, the equal to Braveheart any day. Spielberg is supposed to have said that he wants to make such a movie http://www.thefreelibrary.com/SPIELBERG'S+ON+CUE+FOR+REBEL+EPIC.-a061131572 and one hopes that if he does all sides will be happy. It's all there, heroism at New Ross, foolhardiness General Custer style at Tubberneering, the epic battle at Vinegar Hill, torture and treachery on both sides....
    With you on the film - was only saying it to the OH last night. It could be magnificent or it could be truly awful.
    Hopefully, if it ever happens, the director has the wisdom to see that it is a tale or many tales of despair and horror, valour and pathos. Hopefully the story won't be told from the eyes and ears of one side. But that's what sells. The history is too rich for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭pavb2

Regarding the battle of New Ross it was pivotal in the events as I understand it the rebels had victory in their grasp and it's been said that the rebellion would have spread throughout Munster if they had been successful. I do wonder though like Year of the French are the details of battle of New Ross remembered only in the South East.

Another theme that strikes me as mentioned by Judgement Day is the one of treachery not exclusive to Irish history. Lord Edward Fitzgerald etc were betrayed and there was some doubt as to the traitors identity.

I understand a solicitor Leonard Macnally was unmasked many years later but not before the finger of suspicion was pointed at others likewise didn't the Kildare rising suffer from betrayal?Also the Sheares brothers

Even taking the treachery alone if it were a work of fiction people would dismiss it as stretching the limits of credibility

I read about MacNally before and had forgotten him. Didn't he get a pension of some sort ?

How does the thread compare to the book ?

pavb2 - This may be of interest. A medal that was specially struck for one of the key 1798 informers in Dublin. It was sold at auction earlier this year. I have no idea whether the National Museum were the buyers but they should have been.

Thomas Reynolds [1771 - 1836] The 1798 Informer
    A 18ct Gold shaped oval medal, presented on the 15th of October 1798 to Tho. Reynolds, by the Master Wardens & Brethren of the Guild of Merchants of Dublin.
    Engraved on one side with the crest of the guild, and the obverse with the above dedicationwhich continues, "together with the freedom of that Guild, and an address expression of their high sense of the truly Honorable and Important services that he had rendered to his country.
    W. Linday Senr Master
    P.Powell Junr Master
    J.Dickenson Warden
    W.Walsh Warden
    8cm x 4.5cm

Thomas Reynolds was born in Lincoln Place in 1771, son of a wealthy poplin manufacturer. The young Reynolds was educated abroad by the Jesuits at their seminary in Liege. On his return to Ireland he married and settled down to life as a silk merchant. Upon the death of his father he inherited considerable wealth, however poor management and a profligate lifestyle led Reynolds to virtual bankruptcy. The family had rented Kilkea castle from the Duke of Leinster, arranged by Lord Edward Fitzgerald, the very man he was later to denounce. Thomas Reynolds became a member of the United Irishmen in 1798, but he became nervous about their plans, and with the inducement of promised riches from William Cope, who was an agent for Dublin Castle, Reynolds became an informer for the Government. It is worth noting as evidence of the seriousness with which the British Government viewed the prospect of Rebellion in Ireland, that William Cope had £100,000 at his disposal to secure information to break up any intended plot for insurrection. The Army, unaware of his role for the Castle, arrested Reynolds with the intent of coercing him into spying for them, however a timely letter to William Cope secured his release, returning him to his spying activities
    On March 17th Reynolds betrayed the meeting of the Leinster Directory of the United Irishmen. The meeting, held at the house of Oliver Bond was broken up and the conspirators arrested, Oliver Bond was later murdered in prison. Lord Edward Fitzgerald, warned of the raid, was absent at the time, but forced to become a fugitive. He was arrested by Major Henry Sirr in a house in Thomas Street on the 19th of May, dying later of wounds suffered during his arrest, and left without treatment by the authorities.
    For his role in the arrests and the subsequent quelling of the rebellion Reynolds was paid the princely sum of £5000 together with a pension of £1000 per year for life, and a government posting. In addition he was presented by the city merchants with this gold medal and a gold freedom box, the whereabouts of which is unknown.
    Reynolds and his wife Henrietta - whose sister Maltilda had married Theobald Wolfe Tone - left the country after the trials of the United Irishmen. He obtained various diplomatic posts becoming Consul at Copenhagen in 1819.
    The British Government stated subsequently that the information supplied by Reynolds was critical to the suppression of the rebellion. Once the leaders had been arrested, it was merely a matter of mopping up their followers. This splendid and valuable medal indicates the significance which the Guild of Merchants - an independant body - attached to the information he gave, a deed which they characterised as ;the truely Honorable & Important Services he had rendered to his Country'.The medal sold for €15,000.
    A575.jpg

Hi CDFM I think the Year of the French,Battle of New Ross,Northern episodes,United Irishmen,naval episodes etc etc are all stories in their own right but in my own case until now saw them as chapters in the events of the times with only a cursory knowledge.Probably repeating myself but that's why I enjoyed the book because it gave such a detailed description of the characters and events of that particular 'chapter'

The posts on here have been excellent and credit to all who seem to have a detailed analysis of all aspects. The thread itself is like that saying about peeling an onion, layers upon layers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

pavb2 wrote: »
    Another theme that strikes me as mentioned by Judgement Day is the one of treachery not exclusive to Irish history. Lord Edward Fitzgerald etc were betrayed and there was some doubt as to the traitors identity.

It was the fact that betrayal and treachery were so endemic to Irish history and Irish insurrections that Michael Collins knew - and stated - that the only way to win the War of Independence was to break the spy system at Dublin Castle, which he did.

Collins knew that Irish spies in the pay of the British were always willing to give the game away. There was a long history of precedent for this. And 1798 was no exception.

MarchDub wrote: »
    It was the fact that betrayal and treachery were so endemic to Irish history and Irish insurrections that Michael Collins knew - and stated - that the only way to win the War of Independence was to break the spy system at Dublin Castle, which he did.

Collins knew that Irish spies in the pay of the British were always willing to give the game away. There was a long history of precedent for this. And 1798 was no exception.
    Were there no Irish spying on the British over the course of 1798? Counter intelligence, I suppose you could call it.

• Advertisement

MarchDub wrote: »

Well a bit of topic but my 2 cents. The spy system was and still is one of the main weapons in the hands of the occupier. Collins would have had the Fenians in mind and the secret society's such as the Whiteboys, Defenders and Molly Maguires who were all destroyed by spies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ftfk00

Hi i am new to this forum and enjoyed reading about our history.

Has anyone here ever seen the tv drama series about The Year of The French that RTE first aired in 1982.
    It was a simple tv series but brilliant.

It is the hardest tv series to get on tape or dvd.
    Has anyone on here got a copy they would like to share with a fellow enthusiastic.

Likewise - I only vaguely remember the TV series and had no real interest at the time but I can't find it on DVD/VHS anywhere. Thomas Flanagan's book on which the TV series was based is still available quite cheaply on Abe Books http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?n=200000102&tn=the+year+of+the+french&x=0&y=0 Let me know if you track down a copy of the TV series!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNoAkbqRpzQ0Mv988gpaJF6ImYpWopIgckzr-tFeTNhC45Wqo2

I looked for a copy a few years back as a present for someone and could not source one.

There was someone here offering to do a copy on to DVD but of course who would do that ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439409/board/nest/43669195?d=108827773&p=1#108827773

Gay Byrne used to source hard to get items on his radio show - maybe if there was a slow day Tubridy might get nostalgic and do the same !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ftfk00

I have the book for years now.
    I tried contacting RTE archives for a copy,they would not realise a copy
    due to copyright.
    You would hope that someone might have recorded the tv series
    back when it was last aired and would like to share.
    Or even better RTE might decide to air it again soon.

This link is a must for anyone researching landowners of the period. It's a fascinating read in its own right:pac:

I visited Ballinamuck, scene of the battle and Humbert's surrender. Great little centre in the old RIC barracks,phoned the number on the door & Maurice (who was in the middle of mowing his lawn) opened up,showed me the battle site and told me to phone him when I needed him to lock up. Highly recommended.

Gunner Magee one of many heroic stories of the day.

Anyhow interesting stuff spent time working out what happened that day but I suppose like many other places The Somme etc etc you do get that strange feeling. Very hard to describe knowing your feet away from the mass graves of 500 Irish unlucky enough to be trapped in the bog and slaughtered. Different treatment to the French taken to Dublin as 'celebrities'.

Balinamuck feels like a bookend, 1798, the closing of this particular chapter of Irish history.

1798 was the end of a chapter in Ireland's history in more ways than one.

slowburner wrote: »
    1798 was the end of a chapter in Ireland's history in more ways than one.

Probably the last time any Frenchman had any credibility in this country. I am biased , so shall need to check that with MarchDub.

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    Probably the last time any Frenchman had any credibility in this country. I am biased , so shall need to check that with MarchDub.
    Since the six nations anyway :D

Advertisement