Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Link toll bridge Dublin and cyclists

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

And pay the toll? Or squeeze through with a vehicle?

Earth calling cyclists, Earth calling cyclists...

Must be the bee sting I got yesterday - I don't understand this posters response.:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hermy wrote: »
    Must be the bee sting I got yesterday - I don't understand this posters response.:confused:

The bee probably seen the argument coming and opted for the easy way out when he realised it just wasn't worth it, the rest of us don't understand it either.

bumblebeebikeshop.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Oh, so now I'm the easy way out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.345146,-6.227531&spn=0.003753,0.032487&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.345029,-6.227505&panoid=SV6LDOTpyjNmPsEqV4XE4w&cbp=12,9.34,,0,2.08

There's the offending sign.

1) on the wrong side of the road, why would you even be looking over there while on the corner2) Request only, not a direction/order.
    3) Look at the positions of both cars in that photo, there is clearly enough room within the lane for a cyclist to safely traverse the bridge and be passed by cars (as the Renault is doing)

Look at the other side of the road, there are signs on both.

Look at the other side of the road, there are signs on both.

Stuck to a temporary board and not facing the oncoming traffic? Very helpful indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

The bridge is too narrow to comfortably accommodate everyone - there's room to cycle but in order to overtake a cyclist on the bridge safely, a vehicle would need to cross the solid white line (Illegally - not an emergency or for access). So instead of, say widening the footpath to add a bike path, DCC whack in a made up sign. Bravo.

Luckily, the gardai don't seem to be rushing to punish transgressors... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

CramCycle wrote: »
    Stuck to a temporary board and not facing the oncoming traffic? Very helpful indeed

There nonetheless. Is the site work still ongoing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SuiteCheex

Nope. Finished up a couple of months ago but I'll keep an eye out for any signs on my way home.

After reading this thread I'm now sh!t scared of crossing this bridge!!!

Tayto2000 wrote: »

Probably because they can't as it's not illegal :pac:

But if going that way across the bridge (towards the port/point), the sign is/was almost completely blocked from traffics view by the lampposts. I honestly thought that sign was a work site sign as I never got a clear view of it. I'll pop down from work to see is there one there tomorrow if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

hardCopy wrote: »
    If DCC/NTR are so concerned with cycle safety they should remove those obsolete rails from the road surface on the roundabout

True story! I was going to post about that.

That's the only section road in dublin that I don't feel safe on.

You have to cross them slowly and head-on which can make staying out of harms way with the traffic tricky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Ok, I'll say this one more time for you. The sign is below:

167569.jpg

The text on it says "Cyclists are requested to dismount and walk bicycles across east-link bridge via the footpath".

Note the important word on the sign, I'll even embolden it for emphasis: requested. Now, I'm not sure if English is your first language, or if your comprehension is off, or if you're just a bit dim, but in the real world, requested does not equal a requirement. That's nothing to do with law, common sense or anything else, it's the English language, and isn't open to interpretation.

I can request that you fuck off and stop trolling the thread, and you could, quite rightly, ignore that with no consequences at all. If a moderator required you to do it on the other hand, you'd have to comply, or face a ban. Is that clear enough, or would you like to twist things a bit more to fit your agenda?
    Perhaps, instead of using foul language and insulting me, you might re-read my post (its in basic english). You will see that the context of my post related to the wider issue of carparks which is where the discussion had moved to at the time.
    Oh, and from my limited knowledge of language I have heard that language is always open to interpretation - thats what we have solicitors, barristers and judges for;)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gymnipities

... there is clearly enough room within the lane for a cyclist to safely traverse the bridge and be passed by cars (as the Renault is doing)

The problem is that it's heavily used by HGVs and there definitely isn't room for a HGV to overtake a cyclist safely. That doesn't stop them doing it anyway if they see a clear stretch in the oncoming lane but I've had some very close scrape-bys and there's nowhere to go because of the enormous kerb on the path. I regularly cycle over and on past the next roundabout at Sean Moore Road and find it the most dangerous stretch in Dublin because it's busy and it's all too narrow for the number of HGVs using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

I call TROLL
    Not guilty. It's a genuine difference of opinion and I have tried to put forward my point of view in a friendly, light hearted manner so as to cause no offence. I have not personalised any aspect of the debate. If you genuinely feel I am trolling please report any / all of my posts and I will abide by the moderators decision without argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

trollfest2011cd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

The problem is that it's heavily used by HGVs and there definitely isn't room for a HGV to overtake a cyclist safely. That doesn't stop them doing it anyway if they see a clear stretch in the oncoming lane but I've had some very close scrape-bys and there's nowhere to go because of the enormous kerb on the path. I regularly cycle over and on past the next roundabout at Sean Moore Road and find it the most dangerous stretch in Dublin because it's busy and it's all too narrow for the number of HGVs using it.

This is all makes a lot of sense.

Oh, and from my limited knowledge of language I have heard that language is always open to interpretation - thats what we have solicitors, barristers and judges for;)

But none of those people would be involved as it is not a legal sign and would not be brought up if there was an issue on the bridge.
    Not guilty. It's a genuine difference of opinion and I have tried to put forward my point of view in a friendly, light hearted manner so as to cause no offence. I have not personalised any aspect of the debate. If you genuinely feel I am trolling please report any / all of my posts and I will abide by the moderators decision without argument.

Apologies if that is the case, it did seem like you were arguing for the sake of arguing but if I misinterpreted what you were saying than I apologise but to be fair if I thought you were trolling in a serious manner than I would have reported it, I am just enjoying this thread as its been a slow week in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so cycle in the middle of the lane to prevent them.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R131&daddr=York+Rd&hl=en&sll=53.345889,-6.225944&sspn=0.003324,0.010568&geocode=FS0BLgMdZPqg_w%3BFQ_6LQMdKvug_w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&z=17
    210 metres from the roundabout to the end of the corner. 30 seconds at 25kph, hardly a major delay for anyone, as opposed to 18.9 seconds at 40kph...

But none of those people would be involved as it is not a legal sign and would not be brought up if there was an issue on the bridge.
    Re-read the posts dude ...wow and you question my understanding of the english language? LOL

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Proof the East Link can accomodate a full peleton

So far as I am aware no-one was hurt in the making of this movie (well not physically anyway;))

so cycle in the middle of the lane to prevent them.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R131&daddr=York+Rd&hl=en&sll=53.345889,-6.225944&sspn=0.003324,0.010568&geocode=FS0BLgMdZPqg_w%3BFQ_6LQMdKvug_w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&z=17
    210 metres from the roundabout to the end of the corner. 30 seconds at 25kph, hardly a major delay for anyone, as opposed to 18.9 seconds at 40kph...
    Or alternatively, continue the policy of segregated traffic modes. A well policed mandatory cycle track would make a big difference there and in other areas throughout the city.
    I doubt there are many fans of mandatory cycle tracks on this forum but with increasing volumes of cyclists on Dublin's streets, sensible use of mandatory cycle tracks seems inevitable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Where would you put a mandatory cycle lane on that bridge? Do you really think it has the width to accommodate it, two full lanes and one or two footpaths?

Or alternatively, continue the policy of segregated traffic modes.
    a flawed and unworkable policy
    A well policed mandatory cycle track would make a big difference there and in other areas throughout the city.

how and why exactly would it make a big difference?
    Who's going to pay for it to be "well policed" and what does that even mean, a Garda standing there all day, at rush hour only, cameras (ineffective as no reg to track bikes)...
    I doubt there are many fans of mandatory cycle tracks on this forum but with increasing volumes of cyclists on Dublin's streets, sensible use of mandatory cycle tracks seems inevitable

sensible use of mandatory cycle lanes = zero use, anything more is not sensible at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Apologies if that is the case, it did seem like you were arguing for the sake of arguing but if I misinterpreted what you were saying than I apologise but to be fair if I thought you were trolling in a serious manner than I would have reported it, I am just enjoying this thread as its been a slow week in work.
    Ireland is not cyclist friendly, tbh it's not motorist friendly either. If the truth be known the govt is employing a lot of divide and conquer tactics. Much like the constant public service vs private sector threads that we see so often.

Leaving aside my predilication for upholding regulations it's absolute horseshyte to ask people to get off their bikes and walk across bridges for very little good reason. That doesn't mean that rules and regulations don't have a role to play in our transport system. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

I got bored waiting for Captain Havoc to contradict me/ apologise in another thread, and I thought I'd read through this thread to see what in God's name was keeping it active for so long, it is a very short bridge after all.

Anyhow, having read it all I can only conclude that some people just like to argue, topic is immaterial.

Also.......
    tomasrojo wrote: »

80px-UK_traffic_sign_581.svg.png

For some reason this sign makes me think of sperm. Sperm hitting a wall to be exact. Yes, it's warning active sperm that there is a wall ahead, Careful!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Why not just do as the sign says?

Dismount, cross safely on foot, remount and be on your way.

It there a genetic problem with cyclists that forces them to disobey every possible rule or instruction? Seriously.

Because the majority of cycling related signs in this country are erected by people with little or no regard for cyclists and are frequently illogical. In fact if one was to carry out a survey of cycling signs in Ireland you would actually think that there was a long term plan to remove all bicycles from the country by eventually exasperating cyclists to the point where they just wouldn't bother. In many European countries however refreneces to cycling are in the main, positive, telling you what you can do, rather than what you cannot ("No entry, except cyclists" or "One way, except cyclists" are probably the most common ones in Belgium).

One of the most annoying one I have seen is on a bridge in Cork as you cross from UCC to some of their buildings on the other side of the Lee, a perfectly wide bridge, with no cars has the sign - "Cyclists must dismount when crossing bridge". It almost reminds of the Lottery ad - maybe they should just come out and say "all cyclists must wear barbed wire in their shorts"

michaelm wrote: »
    One of the most annoying one I have seen is on a bridge in Cork as you cross from UCC to some of their buildings on the other side of the Lee, a perfectly wide bridge, with no cars has the sign - "Cyclists must dismount when crossing bridge". It almost reminds of the Lottery ad - maybe they should just come out and say "all cyclists must wear barbed wire in their shorts"

"with nor cars" - you make it sound like a pedestrian only bridge, in which case it's basically a footpath and you shouldn't be cycling on it anyway, so that's fine.

Re-read the posts dude ...wow and you question my understanding of the english language? LOL

I didn't, I think you have me confused with someone else.

The more cyclists the less need for cycle tracks IMO particularly in Ireland where existing infrastructure is unlikely to be capable of dealing with a retrofit.
    For some reason this sign makes me think of sperm. Sperm hitting a wall to be exact. Yes, it's warning active sperm that there is a wall ahead, Careful!!!!

Well at least we know the nuns are keeping celebate if thats what you think it looks like :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SuiteCheex

I always wondered why I hadn't spotted these signs before (bearing in mind I don't usually keep and eye out for signs on the opposite side of the road!). These pics were taken this morning.

SuiteCheex wrote: »
    I always wondered why I hadn't spotted these signs before (bearing in mind I don't usually keep and eye out for signs on the opposite side of the road!). These pics were taken this morning.

so they only apply if you're cycling against traffic then:confused:
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

SuiteCheex wrote: »

No wonder I'd never seen them.

Advertisement