Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts photographic & video thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Remmy wrote: »
    0:42!:eek: I don't know what he did there but it was awesome!:D

It was a 'Yoko Tomoe Nage';

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

In addition to the regular full contact fights & nunchaku fights our compeitions are getting sword and bo-staff fights (using foam versions), as well as breaking , self-defence demonstrations, kicking tests and break fall tests. This is the video to promote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Unpossible wrote: »
    In addition to the regular full contact fights & nunchaku fights our compeitions are getting sword and bo-staff fights (using foam versions), as well as breaking , self-defence demonstrations, kicking tests and break fall tests. This is the video to promote it.

Where are you getting the padded staffs from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Bambi wrote: »
    Where are you getting the padded staffs from?
    I honestly don't know where they are getting them from, I only found out about this new development a few months ago and the video to launch it was only done recently. I will be attending a training camp on it in june. OrientalMooDo/HanMooDo Finland offer all of the equipment required for HanMooDo so I can always get it off them. Finding the right padded staffs and swords was one of the reasons this wasn't done until now (or so I was told a few years ago when I asked about that kind of sparring).

When I get my hands on them later in the summer I will make a note of the brand and if I remember I will let you know.

they look like actionflexs to me

• Advertisement

This will get your juices flowing!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

This will get your juices flowing!.

Hey Mak question, do you do much neck bridging in your judo training or at all?I see in some of those vids they do a kinda headstand roll to get back on their feet if that makes sense?One would need a really strong neck for that stuff.

And just from this thread I'm really itching to give Judo a go it looks like proper craic.:DYou're a good ambassador for the sport on this forum.

Hey Mak question, do you do much neck bridging in your judo training or at all?I see in some of those vids they do a kinda headstand roll to get back on their feet if that makes sense?One would need a really strong neck for that stuff.

Personally speaking I don't do any kind of neck bridging exercises because I believe it causes more harm than good.. re the neck rolls you'll see there, of course if I was thrown in competition I'd try it to deny my opponent an ippon score, but that would be largely instinctual than trained.
    And just from this thread I'm really itching to give Judo a go it looks like proper craic.:DYou're a good ambassador for the sport on this forum.

Thanks, but I'd love to see more contribute to the thread.. I also train BJJ when I can, it benefits my judo greatly - but sadly I can't find a Jitz clip which excites me..

Anyone got some for the thread?.
    You're a good ambassador for the sport on this forum.

Again thanks, but sometimes I feel like I'm hogging this thread at the expense of other's.. Like I said, I also train BJJ but I appreciate all styles done well.

I tell people, and get a little stick for it - the most exciting (apart from Judo) style I've seen was Kendo, I've been to a few competitions and love it as a spectator.

So come on guys, post up!.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Challenge_accepted_Red_pancake-s400x300-128675-580.jpg

Went to Japan last year for training. Spent most my time training with these instructors, good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

- but sadly I can't find a Jitz clip which excites me..

Anyone got some for the thread?.

Always been a fan of this guy and this video

• Advertisement

I tell people, and get a little stick for it - the most exciting (apart from Judo) style I've seen was Kendo, I've been to a few competitions and love it as a spectator.

This is a great documentary about kendo, shame they've covered the subtitles in other subtitles.

Bambi wrote: »
    This is a great documentary about kendo, shame they've covered the subtitles in other subtitles.

That was brilliant, thanks.

I like a story like that.

Not sure if I posted Yamashita's story from the '84 L.A. Olympics, so here it is - he also wrote a great book, 'The Fighting Spirit of Judo'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

i came across this a while back and thought it was pretty interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Always been a fan of this guy and this video

Fun to watch him in the ring too, flying triangles, spinning backfists and lots of other weird stuff going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

If you could build a Frankenstein version of the ultimate Kyokushin fighter it would look a little like this. Great music too!

I like Kyokushin ^^^

For fun now -

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

Alan Philips with his silver medal from the World Kuoshu championships in Taiwan on the 14th of may..

160031.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Here's some photo's ..

New flyer:

JunePostcard.jpg

New poster:

JunePoster.jpg

^^ I think you might have the wrong thread!.

I wish more Judo ref's were like Gunter Lind and allow more time on the ground.

Here he is allowing Kashiwazaki work his ground game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

Here is a nice tribute to BJJ clip:

Anyone know the Irish guy getting thrown at 35 seconds?

Love this throw! If only I could do it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

It's not an art that i have ever done so i don't know if it technically qualifies for this thread, but here's a clip of Benny the Jet. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeVkYvvAcD0

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

Here is another clip - this one is of Maul Mornie :)
    This time it is an art that i have trained in.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYfy3AM-lSQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Opinicus wrote: »
    Anyone know the Irish guy getting thrown at 35 seconds?

Love this throw! If only I could do it:(

I got a freeze on his face and didnt recognise him. Old enough video though, in a light enough weight...Eric O Donnell maybe?

nobbo wrote: »
    Old enough video though,

Yeah it looks like it was taken off an old VHS tape so it could be from mid 80's all the way up to 00's

• Registered Users Posts: 7 photobystander

Hi there.

Some of my pics from various Irish MMA & Muay Thai events:

DSC_8104.jpg

DSC_0972.jpg

DSC_9315.jpg

DSC_3793.jpg

More on www.photobystander.com

Best regards,
    Tomasz

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

I'd watch Garcia all day. Probably the pound for pound best grappler in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

It's from Walker Texas Ranger, it's a bit hazy but I think Chuck has a brown belt in Judo from his younger days when he was a military policeman in the US Air Force so he's not new to grappling. He also got an honourary BBJ black belt form the Machado Brothers I think.

Advertisement