Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Beware of Amateur Scientists"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

jh79 wrote: »

Tl;dr Do not question, big daddy is always right.

What a crock!.

He goes on about the benefits of GM food and I'd agree with somethings that he says but to blindly accept so called "expert" opinion on an ethically questionable practice is absurd.

A lot of people on this forum would be against Monsantos attempt to corner the market with their terminator seed and use of Monsanto specific Round up. Neither of which he mentions. Also, he blithly mentions incorporating vaccines in crops. WTF, who do scientists think they are. They're vital for propress but not the most ethical or conciencous, some anyway. Think Oppenheimer. Great scientist, crap human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Damn Straight!!

6AD7F3AC-0AE1-E3F0-21D1C1806D8C02EE.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

the article was a bit Skewed alright, he focuses on the ''percieved' benefits of GM Food and more intensive agricultural processes without mentioning the tangible physical problems it causes like excessive nitrogen Runoff, land exhaustion, Natures inate ability to develop resistances to our pesticides leading to much hardier weeds and parasites, forced dependance on a small number of suppliers for seed, the homogonisation of crops to the detriment of Biodiversity....

for someone decrying amatuer Analysis the author really should have researched his position a bit better ;)

also You've got Oppenheimer wrong, he was an average to good Scientist, but it was his Humainty and ability to relate to people, to unify them to a single purpose that made him a great person

read
    an American Prometheus for a more indepth look at him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

studiorat wrote: »
    Damn Straight!!

6AD7F3AC-0AE1-E3F0-21D1C1806D8C02EE.jpg

CT's are just like WWF (wwe? these days), 99% know its not real, 1% convince themselves it is real, but all in all its just a bit of fun

• Advertisement

so what do you Know is not Real, how do you come to these conclusions????

I'm genuinley curious as to how people come to that conclusion

ETA, anyone else look at that photo and think
    Jaysus Mairt/Makikomi has REALLY Let himself go recently :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

also You've got Oppenheimer wrong, he was an average to good Scientist, but it was his Humainty and ability to relate to people, to unify them to a single purpose that made him a great person

read
    an American Prometheus for a more indepth look at him

In fairness you would know more about him than I do but in saying that he must have known what he was developing and its future use. I would call his humanity into question for that reason.

Also my main point was that some scientists push the boundries of what we can do but fail to ask should we do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

What a crock!.

Your link must lead to a different article than it did for me.

He's got a point, questioning things is good, but as he points out when it comes down to something I don't understand and two differing opinions are being presented, one from a "professional" and one from an "amateur" then I am going to listen to the former over the latter.

Though i will say that the middle part is mostly a scattergun listing of what the author considers to be the negative impact of amateur being given more credibility than he feels they deserve, and is a poor way to argue the core point.

Also my main point was that some scientists push the boundries of what we can do but fail to ask should we do it.

Who should they have to ask?

link borked studiorat, what was it???

oh and ME, they should have to ask me:D:D:D thers no way I would have alowed some of the more monstorous inventions of the 20th century, like Furbies or poptarts or FWD Cars :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The MMR bit is funny. He neglects to mention the flawed study was from a professional scientific expert, not some amateur.

His GM negative issues are also narrowed down to merely the ingestion of synthetic herbicide. There's more to the issue than that.

link borked studiorat, what was it???

oh and ME, they should have to ask me:D:D:D thers no way I would have alowed some of the more monstorous inventions of the 20th century, like Furbies or poptarts or FWD Cars :D:D:D

It was to Copehagen Fall Out about Bohr and Heisenberg's discussions and the ethics of the atom bomb. And then I though, what's the point why waste it on the flying saucer brigade.:pac:

this??
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3325831859220140461#

thanks I'll watch it tonight

and hey, We have feelings too :( the Nom de jour for our ilk is
    TinfoilHat Brigade not Flying Saucer brigade

those Flying Saucer folk are a right bunch of wierdos :D:D:D

tricky D wrote: »
    The MMR bit is funny. He neglects to mention the flawed study was from a professional scientific expert, not some amateur.

Not really though, because while wakefield was, at the time, a professional, by the time his work became news we had people like Carol Vorderman giving their opinion and that opinion being given the same consideration as anyone other professional scientific expert.
    And while i have no doubt that Ms Vorderman is a bright person, she's still an amateur in that area.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Beware of trolls.

Beware of trolls.

How does linking that article make me a troll? Its a pretty apt article for this forum where a bit of perspective is sometimes needed.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

How does linking that article make me a troll? Its a pretty apt article for this forum where a bit of perspective is sometimes needed.

Well perhaps you should elaborate on what the talking points actually are and how they are specifically related to this forum.

whilst this thread in itself wouldnt make you a Troll, your 99% statement would raise a few eyebrows

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Since we're listing off those who should not be taken seriously, perhaps scientists who regularly write columns for religious publications should be included

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/site/search/node/william%20reville

this??
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3325831859220140461#

thanks I'll watch it tonight

and hey, We have feelings too :( the Nom de jour for our ilk is
    TinfoilHat Brigade not Flying Saucer brigade

those Flying Saucer folk are a right bunch of wierdos :D:D:D

That's the one, hope it's not too mainstream for ya. ;)

Enjoy.
    Since we're listing off those who should not be taken seriously, perhaps scientists who regularly write columns for religious publications should be included

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/site/search/node/william%20reville

It's true, I know a man in Enniscorthy, goes to mass everyday, 94 years old!
    Atheists have the shortest lifespan of all of the preponderant doctrines of religious and philosophical thought.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9780470147658.chpsy0117/full

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

studiorat wrote: »
    That's the one, hope it's not too mainstream for ya. ;)

Enjoy.

It's true, I know a man in Enniscorthy, goes to mass everyday, 94 years old!
    Atheists have the shortest lifespan of all of the preponderant doctrines of religious and philosophical thought.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9780470147658.chpsy0117/full

Proof of god?

Does that Aulfella ya know live somewhere up near Vinegar hill????????

if its ther same aulfella I'm thinkin of the Mass aint doin the Miserable aul b****x any good, I think the only reason he's still here is that God cant face the Prospect of an eternity with the Whingin Fecker :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

tricky D wrote: »
    But the study was proved to be flawed, and the people who ran with its faulty conclusions were amateurs. Scientists can be wrong or corrupt too - the scientific method relies on the community finding out the charlatans.

Well perhaps you should elaborate on what the talking points actually are and how they are specifically related to this forum.

Well on this forum there has been threads on cures for cancer and stuff about AIDS and GM food. The GERSON therapy thing is especially bad from a scientific stand point and colloidal silver also, but because it can be percieved to be some sort of "big pharma" conspiracy the obvious scientific flaws are ignored because the narrative is so appealing.

whilst this thread in itself wouldnt make you a Troll, your 99% statement would raise a few eyebrows

Fair enough, but CT are generally pretty outlandish so odds are only a small minority will turn out to be true, which CT's that have featured on this forum do you believe to be accurate?

Even for the most ardent CT'er it doesn't make sense for all of them to be true so how do you which ones have legs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

I would beware of scientists with vested interests , that would include any scientist with a job .
    The only ones i would trust are the amateurs with no vested interests , preferably with no job and no hope of ever making money from what they publish .

espinolman wrote: »
    I would beware of scientists with vested interests , that would include any scientist with a job .
    The only ones i would trust are the amateurs with no vested interests , preferably with no job and no hope of ever making money from what they publish .

This assumes that there is such a thing as having a person with absolutely zero vested interest, which given your amazingly wide definition of vested interest, is an impossibility.

Science is one of the worst paid professions in Ireland for the level of qualifications needed, if you want to get rich don't become a scientist.

So you expect people to find cures for various illnesses but do it for free?

Also the majority of stuff that gets published has no commercial value, if a drug has commercial potential the findings are held back until the intellectual property is protected by a patent.

The term amateur scientist in the original article refers to people spouting scientific information without actually having any sort of sciene education. How can you have strong opinions on something that you couldn't possible understand?

You are either a scientist or your not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

CT's are just like WWF (wwe? these days), 99% know its not real, 1% convince themselves it is real, but all in all its just a bit of fun

Stupid statement.

Advertisement