Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ telethon - 3D movies

Options
  • 13-01-2007 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

A memory just popped back into my head :) , that of Telethon and the 3D movies they used to show on TV that day, these happened right, or am I just imagining??

You could buy the glasses for a £1 or so (the money being raised for people in need of course) and RTE would show these 'special' 3D movies that day, this would have been the late 80's/early 90's.

Why dont they show these movies anymore, be pretty cool I think! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

3D glasses! :) Speaking of People in Need Telethons, they did one back in the 80s purely for people out of work with a theme song called "Let's Make It Work". It was called Self-Aid. Anyone remember that?

I found this about it, from one of Ryan Tubridy's radio shows:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wednesday 17th May 2006

This day twenty years ago, Ireland held the Self-Aid concert.
    Something like 30,000 young people rocked their socks off in the RDS as a showcase of Irish musical talent - of the rock 'n' roll and folk variety urged people to pledge money and jobs to somewhat alleviate the unemployment crisis. Around the country people shaved off beards, had tugs-of-war and bean baths to raise funds for unemployment projects. In studio, Ryan was joined by some of the people who were there on the day - Tony Boland - the Self Aid co-founder, 2fm presenter Dave Fanning, and singer Leslie Dowdall who performed on the day, and on the phone Paul Doran who co-wrote the Self Aid anthem Let's Make it Work with Christy Moore.
    [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I can remember trying to watch some Western film with the 3D glasses, can't remember which one it was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Flukey wrote:
    3D glasses! :) Speaking of People in Need Telethons, they did one back in the 80s purely for people out of work with a theme song called "Let's Make It Work". It was called Self-Aid. Anyone remember that?
    Yes, I taped the whole thing on audio cassette at the time. It was full of Irish bands of the 1980s best forgotten. U2 headlined and didn't play any of their own songs (? because of some contractual issue at the time) and played a 10-minute version of Maggie's Farm.

Coming after Live Aid, the whole thing left me a bit bemused. How exactly was it supposed to help the umemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ruu wrote:
    I can remember trying to watch some Western film with the 3D glasses, can't remember which one it was though.

There was a kids movie in the early evening, then 'Inferno' is the one you're talking about, and then later there was a Vincent Price movie, for the grown-ups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Did they show that film where the humans live beside the dinosaurs aswell?

Great film, sexeh laydees.

• Advertisement

Self Aid certainly wasn't Live Aid, that's for sure, DublinWriter. :) It did raise some money and it went to help some people, but as an event it has sunk out of most people's memories. Not long after that, the Celtic Tiger Cub got moving and grew up to be the Celtic Tiger in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

From what I can remember when RTE 2 changed name (for the first time :rolleyes: ) to network 2, they started to advertise that they would be showing 3D movies that Halloween, Ian Dempsey did the ad.

But then I could also be imageing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I think they showed a 3 Stooges film in 3d and a Halloween ?
    I might be wrong but that seems to be stuck in my head for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Dead right Ciaran. I remember, even as a 10 year old kid, being completely underwhelmed by the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I have a distinct recollection of two sets of glasses being supplied with the RTE guide sometime in the early 80s. Like ned78 - complete letdown. The thing that sticks in my mind however is the oul lad hogging one set of glasses for the whole film, and everyone else having to keep passing around the second pair. Did I mention that the oul lad was practically blind in his left eye so it would have been completely useless anyway. We knew this - we explained this - but he insisted on hogging a pair - the swine!

D.

• Advertisement

I have a pair of 3D glasses that I have just got from a shelf near our TV where they have been for many years. They have a cardboard frame and a stars and stripes pattern and were made by Karran Products UK Ltd and have a 1988 copyright on them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Flukey wrote:
    I have a pair of 3D glasses that I have just got from a shelf near our TV where they have been for many years. They have a cardboard frame and a stars and stripes pattern and were made by Karran Products UK Ltd and have a 1988 copyright on them.
    I just junked those last week after having had them lying around rather uselessly for years! Oh I remember the 3D event - we were a lot more easily pleased in those days.

I did use the glasses recentlyish for an episode of 'Medium' so it's not an entirely dead medium (ho ho!) but it is coming to an end with the next gen. of 3D technology coming in 'Avatar'.

Anyone ever do the 3D stuff in DisneyWorld? Now that was good!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

remenber this as well . the sun was splitting the stones outside and we are inside with cushions stacked up agaist the window trying to keep the sun out as the room had to be dark.

I think the 3-d efffect only worked for magicain film at night i remneber thinking i was going to wet from the water coming from his wand.

it was a let down but how did it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Thats right they showed a 3 Stooges film and a film called The Mad Magician with Vincent Price and I think they showed Halloween 2 (the crap one with the masks) or maybe I watched Halloween 2 on another channel that night :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Elmo wrote:
    From what I can remember when RTE 2 changed name (for the first time :rolleyes: ) to network 2, they started to advertise that they would be showing 3D movies that Halloween, Ian Dempsey did the ad.

But then I could also be imageing this.

No your not imagining, i still have the glasses, can't remember the movies though think one of them was 'honey i shrunk the kids' (for some reason this is in the back of my mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

never got the idea behind two different colours in the lenses but odd stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

ciaran76 wrote:

Yep, the three stoogies is the only 3D film i can remember well....
    They should bring them back, they were cool.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

A memory just popped back into my head :) , that of Telethon and the 3D movies they used to show on TV that day, these happened right, or am I just imagining??

You could buy the glasses for a £1 or so (the money being raised for people in need of course) and RTE would show these 'special' 3D movies that day, this would have been the late 80's/early 90's.

Why dont they show these movies anymore, be pretty cool I think! :cool:

jesus I remember this, was good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

TheDriver wrote:
    never got the idea behind two different colours in the lenses but odd stuff!

It had something to do with the different colour lenses on the glasses cancelling out the opposite colour in the image you were watching.

This would create the illusion that what you were watching was three dimensional.

The films were on in Halloween, while the telethons were usually held in May. I was at one of the telethons at the Mansion House in 1988 where we were given free glasses and t shirts and certificates for raising money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I remember seeing some films and getting the glasses
    and being disapointed that it did not look 3D cant
    remember which movies though.

One of the nightmare on elm street movies was 3D in the cinema
    and one of the Jaws movies was.

The 3d glasses for the telly were red and cyan in colour which was
    distictly diffeerent to the Comic book ones which were Red and green.

As were on the topic of 3D glasses etc can anyone remember
    wildcat magazine??? I think it eventually merged with the eagle comic
    but I thought around the time they were out they had some issues
    where they had stuff done in 3d. fantastic stuff.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Like many here I remember this 3d event RTE did one Halloween but I am trying to establish the precise facts around what was shown and when. The problem arises in that people seem to have mixed memories as to what was actually shown and stuff that they almost swear they saw isn't likely the case.

As far as I can establish the event took place on 29/10/1988 and that there was 3 movies shown in total. One was a horror, then second a western and finally a three stooges movies.

Three Stooges only ever made two 3d movies so their offering was either
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooks!

or
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon_My_Backfire

The Horror movie was most likely
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mad_Magician

but I've also heard offerings for
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Wax_(1953_film)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_III:_Season_of_the_Witch
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nightmare_on_Elm_Street

The Western might have been
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(1953_film) (which is not actually a western)

tho also mentioned are
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Towering_Inferno
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046375/

I'd really like to lock this subject down and heres as good a place as any to gather info. So does anyone have any concrete memories about this event? Thanks.

Find the rte guide of the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it was also part of rte 2's rebrand to network 2 which happend the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭briany

I remember getting a pair of those but the whole thing was a let down. They had segments of the show that were to be broadcast in 3D but technical difficulties prevailed in the way that only RTE can do :

"I'm being informed that some viewers at home are not getting the 3D effect. *To off screen director* Can we fix it, Ciaran? OK everyone join us after the break, and hopefully you will be able to use your 3D glaaases! (Audience : OoooooOOOOoooooo!!)"

Well they never worked, Mooney! I want my ma's money back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There was unbelievable hype over this

I remember pestering the parents to get me the glasses.
    One eye was blue and the other red.

So sat down the watch the Three Stooges. Well I didn't notice a thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Yes, I taped the whole thing on audio cassette at the time. It was full of Irish bands of the 1980s best forgotten. U2 headlined and didn't play any of their own songs (? because of some contractual issue at the time) and played a 10-minute version of Maggie's Farm.

Coming after Live Aid, the whole thing left me a bit bemused. How exactly was it supposed to help the umemployed?

Footage from Self Aid, I think this is the finale. Very 80's-ish!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

ciaran76 wrote: »
    That's right .I remember the 3 stooges film being advertised and thinking it was an odd choice for Halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

bonerm wrote: »
    Like many here I remember this 3d event RTE did one Halloween but I am trying to establish the precise facts around what was shown and when. The problem arises in that people seem to have mixed memories as to what was actually shown and stuff that they almost swear they saw isn't likely the case.

As far as I can establish the event took place on 29/10/1988 and that there was 3 movies shown in total. One was a horror, then second a western and finally a three stooges movies.

Three Stooges only ever made two 3d movies so their offering was either
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooks!

or
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon_My_Backfire

The Horror movie was most likely
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mad_Magician

but I've also heard offerings for
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Wax_(1953_film)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_III:_Season_of_the_Witch
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nightmare_on_Elm_Street

The Western might have been
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(1953_film) (which is not actually a western)

tho also mentioned are
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Towering_Inferno
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046375/

I'd really like to lock this subject down and heres as good a place as any to gather info. So does anyone have any concrete memories about this event? Thanks.

I remember it well. I got the last pair of 3D glasses in our local shop - they had to take them off the teddy in the window which was advertising the screenings.

It was definitely The Mad Magician and Inferno they showed. I don't remember which 3D Stooges movie it was but it had lots of things being thrown at the viewer.

I am going to give a guess as this was what first came up in my search for Stooges 3d movies

I could be wrong.

Saturday Edition

Monday 31st October 1988

Time | RTÉ 1
    6:01 | Six One |
    6:15 | Cartoon Time |
    6:30 | Number 1 |
    7:00 | A Taste Of Ireland |
    7:30 | Inferno 3D |
    9:00 | News |
    9:30 | Cagney and Lacey |
    10:10 |Cleo Sings Sonhelm (??? Can't read my own handwriting :( ) |
    11:10 | Radio 2 Dublin City Marathon |
    12:00 | Late News |
    12:05 | Close

Time|Network 2
    10:00 | Dempsey's Den
    1:45 | The 3 Stooges (3D)
    2:05 | Dempsey's Den
    4:20 | Herbie Rides Again
    6:00 | Jo Maxi
    6:30 | Home and Away
    7:00 | Nuacht
    7:05 | Wolf Pack
    7:30 | Coronation Street
    8:00 | News
    8:05 | American Football
    9:00 | Spitting Image
    9:45 | Secret of the Phantom of the Opera
    10:40 | Mad Magician (3D)
    12:00 | Late News
    12:55 | Regional News and Weather (I think this is a mistake!)

*How do I put this in to a table ???????????

In other news

Network 2 was the new name for RTÉ Two, and was put in place on Monday October 3rd 1988.

RTÉ took the following ad out in the Irish Times
    network2.jpg
    SEE WHAT'S ON TV TOMORROW
    Are you ready for Network 2?
    Network 2 is TV for the 1990s designed specifically for you.
    More comedy, more films, more sport, more children's programmes, and lively magizine shows.
    Network 2 has a host of new programmes certain to become favorites, with a fresh new look for tomorrow.
    Get ready for the future with Network 2.
    there is no need to adjust your sets to receive Network 2.

Home and Away started broadcasting on 3rd of October 1988 and Jo Maxi started the following week.

Other programmes starting that month included Six One News with Eileen Dunne and Sean Dignam. Check Up and RTÉ's first programme for the deaf community Sign of the Times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Elmo wrote: »
    Saturday Edition

Monday 31st October 1988

Time | RTÉ 1
    10:10 |Cleo Sings Sonhelm (??? Can't read my own handwriting :( ) |
    11:10 | Radio 1 Dublin City Marathon |

Time | Network 2

Did you get that from the Irish Times archive? I don't have access myself but I think if you have access the answer might be on page 27 of Saturday October 29th 1988 edition under "Television Highlights"

*How do I put this in to a table ???????????
    Monday 31st October 1988

Time | RTÉ 1 
    10:10 | Cleo Sings Sonhelm (??? Can't read my own handwriting :( ) |
    11:10 | Radio 1 Dublin City Marathon |

Time | Network 2

Advertisement