Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychiatry is bogus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

This is disturbing. Do not tell me what experiences I have had or witnessed and do not tell me I'd be glad to submit a loved one for ECT.

Please refrain from personalising this issue.
    You were the one who brought up how you would never allow it to happen to someone you cared for.

Because I value my bodily integrity and nobody should have the right to initiate force against me against my will.

It may not go to a referendum but forced ECT could well be outlawed on the grounds it violates individual rights of which is bodily integrity is included. Medics have been slapped down before for being paternalisitc and there's no reason it can't happen again.

they've been calling for the outlawing of it for the past 30 years. The fact of the matter is, just like getting somebody sectioned, only in severe cases will the law allow it, where the individual right of bodily integrity is superceded by the immediate risk to the person's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭33

Don't know where I fall in here, havent read the thread, but my last post was a goodbye message, I was taking mirtazapine for a few weeks and it fukked me up bigtime, I was suicidal from it, thats the truth, anybody that is prescribed such mind altering drugs really need to read the side effects, from my heart and soul I hate them, they nearly killed me softly, I didn't care, my brain chemistry and the "antidepressant" didn't click.

I'm not going to tell anybody what to take or not but be aware of what it is your taking and any possible side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

33 wrote: »
    Don't know where I fall in here, havent read the thread, but my last post was a goodbye message, I was taking mirtazapine for a few weeks and it fukked me up bigtime, I was suicidal from it, thats the truth, anybody that is prescribed such mind altering drugs really need to read the side effects, from my heart and soul I hate them, they nearly killed me softly, I didn't care, my brain chemistry and the "antidepressant" didn't click.

I'm not going to tell anybody what to take or not but be aware of what it is your taking and any possible side effects.

Good to have you back in one piece mate :D

That was your 133rd post 33 :D

Mirtazapine? That's some old school stuff right there. Sorry to hear your story but as you probably know, different drugs work for different people. I've known guys that only got drastically better on their 5th change after some nasty sh1t happened on every other one.

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    Mirtazapine? That's some old school stuff right there. Sorry to hear your story but as you probably know, different drugs work for different people. I've known guys that only got drastically better on their 5th change after some nasty sh1t happened on every other one.

I can only speak for myself, but prozak killed my best lifelong buddy, I was diagnosed with bi-polar at 17, 19 years later I'm still looking for a way out of this madness, It's a nasty road that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, but all in all psychiatry is Bogus, there is such a thing as natural sad, just being sad with a reason, this is a natural feeling that will try to be covered with drugs, but they don't always work, and can sometimes make things a lot worse, from the heart thats how I feel, no fighting, just truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

In relation to ECT: I was sceptical about the whole procedure until I say the results. The whole idea of patients being strapped down and given shock treatment amounts to little more than urban legend. 99% of cases treated with ECT are elective and consented to. ECT is normally used as a treatment when all else fails, a last resort!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't know about that particular drug but drugs can make things worse in the short term but work in the long term. Often printed in the side effects.

If it effected you like that, it seems you made the right decision. Doesn't mean all anti depressants will not click with you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

humanji wrote: »
    It's probably worth pointing out that "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" isn't a correct representation of ECT, and this is how most people would view it. You're not hooked up to the mains while kicking and screaming (in fact, you're sedated and feel nothing).

And I'm not sure if anyone knows otherwise, but I was under the impression that the Irish laws on this were similar to the UK laws, where it's illegal to perform ECT involutarily, unless under extreme circumstances.

yup as far as i know, to actually administer it involuntarily, you need to go through much the same legal processing as sectioning someone. which means it has to be a severe (as in life or death severe) case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I should probably declare that I'll be a medical student in 3 months time.

no way! SPLITTER!

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    no way! SPLITTER!

haha! tis true.....i'm leaving the all-nighters, chain smoking and partial deafness behind for a life of pseudoscience and social coercion.

yup as far as i know, to actually administer it involuntarily, you need to go through much the same legal processing as sectioning someone. which means it has to be a severe (as in life or death severe) case.

Buddy, I have talked my way out of many psychological exams, I have fooled them all into thinking what it was I wanted them to think, thats the bottom line, I was suicidal and commited by family/gardai and spent no more than an hour being diagnosed, I was found to be of sound mind and within 24hrs was back to trying to end it all.
    Diagnosis isn't really effective if your dealing with a case of somebody who has the intelligence to fool you, I find the whole psychology thing a joke, I suffer with a mental illness, or maybe even multiple mental illness's, this was made clear to me a few days ago when my Father read in the paper about the nutcase in Cork airport, my Da said a few days later that he thought it was me that he was reading about, when he read the story, I was shocked but understood where he was coming from, I'm mr unpredictable #1, I just know how easy it is to tell a psychiatrist a load of bollox and wave goodbye with a stamp of approval, a few pills that either aren't taken or all at once, which I have done umpteen times, I was asleep for 4 days a few years ago, I OD'd on the pills, took them all in one sitting one night and woke a few days later really thirsty, took me another few days to figure out what had actually happened, but all in all if they have a definate answer I will take it, if not they can fukk off for now.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Buddy, I have talked my way out of many psychological exams, I have fooled them all into thinking what it was I wanted them to think, thats the bottom line, I was suicidal and commited by family/gardai and spent no more than an hour being diagnosed, I was found to be of sound mind and within 24hrs was back to trying to end it all.
    Diagnosis isn't really effective if your dealing with a case of somebody who has the intelligence to fool you, I find the whole psychology thing a joke, I suffer with a mental illness, or maybe even multiple mental illness's, this was made clear to me a few days ago when my Father read in the paper about the nutcase in Cork airport, my Da said a few days later that he thought it was me that he was reading about, when he read the story, I was shocked but understood where he was coming from, I'm mr unpredictable #1, I just know how easy it is to tell a psychiatrist a load of bollox and wave goodbye with a stamp of approval, a few pills that either aren't taken or all at once, which I have done umpteen times, I was asleep for 4 days a few years ago, I OD'd on the pills, took them all in one sitting one night and woke a few days later really thirsty, took me another few days to figure out what had actually happened, but all in all if they have a definate answer I will take it, if not they can fukk off for now.

Hope things work out for you 33. It was SSRI's and lazy, incompotent, arse hole doctors prescribing them that have destroyed my dear old mams life for the past twenty years. All she had was a touch of post natal depression and now she's been hooked on different pills and in and out of hospital for the best part of my life.

Er, without breaking the charter on medical advice, I really would recommend you go see a doctor.

As far as them detaining/sectioning you....the legalities of it nowadays means that even in some of the most severe of cases, there is not much they can do if you are determined to walk out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

As regards ECT and "life saving", would it not make more sense to just induce a long ass coma? The efficacy for ECT is not positive in the slightest. I would like to hear from people who have actually suffered through ECT "treatment".

Firing electricity through the human brain without a specific target is akin to using a sledgehammer to drive a small nail.

Naikon wrote: »
    As regards ECT and "life saving", would it not make more sense to just induce a long ass coma? The efficacy for ECT is not positive in the slightest. I would like to hear from people who have actually suffered through ECT "treatment".

Firing electricity through the human brain without a specific target is akin to using a sledgehammer to drive a small nail.

good lord.....is that what your think ECT is.....firing electricity through the brain without a specific target?

the important bit is the convulsive bit not the electricity.....that's merely a trigger

The efficacy for ECT is not positive in the slightest.

Naikon vs the US Surgeon General's summary of psychiatric opinion.........

"The 1999 U.S. Surgeon General's Report on Mental Health summarized psychiatric opinion at the time about the effectiveness of ECT. It stated that both clinical experience and published studies had determined ECT to be effective (with an average 60 to 70 percent remission rate) in the treatment of severe depression, some acute psychotic states, and mania. "

Er, without breaking the charter on medical advice, I really would recommend you go see a doctor.

As far as them detaining/sectioning you....the legalities of it nowadays means that even in some of the most severe of cases, there is not much they can do if you are determined to walk out.

See a doctor?, I've seen plenty, none helped!, some say I'm trapped somewhere between madman and genius, the fine line, it gives me some comfort, the genius bit.

Hope things work out for you 33. It was SSRI's and lazy, incompotent, arse hole doctors prescribing them that have destroyed my dear old mams life for the past twenty years. All she had was a touch of post natal depression and now she's been hooked on different pills and in and out of hospital for the best part of my life.

Exactly Bomber, the drugs don't work....sometimes, I really wish your Mother the best.

here's a tune with total respect from ur's truly up33

good lord.....is that what your think ECT is.....firing electricity through the brain without a specific target?

the important bit is the convulsive bit not the electricity.....that's merely a trigger

Give me your professional interpretation please. The trigger induces the seizure. I am aware of that.

• Advertisement

really, because you said ECT was firing electricity through the human brain without a specific target?
    But as you'd know, being aware of the mechanism, the brain IS the target.

really, because you said ECT was firing electricity through the human brain without a specific target?

Granularity is the issue with ECT. Inducing a seizure in the brain without any real fine grained control to which specific regions are stimulated is problamatic.

the brain?, which bit, which cell, which receptor or transmitter, do u understand that it is not understood?

the brain?, which bit, which cell, which receptor or transmitter, do u understand that it is not understood?

Er, you don't need to be too specific because the aim is to induce a seizure. An electrically induced convulsion is an electrically induced convulsion.

And I'm well aware of how its mechanism of action is not fully understood.

Granularity is the issue with ECT. Inducing a seizure in the brain without any real fine grained control to which specific regions are stimulated is problamatic.

I though the fact that it's 'efficacy was in no way positive' (i presume you meant to say significant) was the issue?

btw, you going to address this at all.....

"The 1999 U.S. Surgeon General's Report on Mental Health summarized psychiatric opinion at the time about the effectiveness of ECT. It stated that both clinical experience and published studies had determined ECT to be effective (with an average 60 to 70 percent remission rate) in the treatment of severe depression, some acute psychotic states, and mania. "

I though the fact that it's 'efficacy was in no way positive' (i presume you meant to say significant) was the issue?

You have me there in fairness. I am too knackered to really consider the issue now, but I will do some more research later. Looks pretty credible mind you.

I'll address it!, they summarized psychiatric opinion...what the fukk is that?, is it an opinion of a known serial killer your going on?, or the work of known gentlemen?, probably the latter in your eye's, doesn't make it true.

Naikon, I, and many others from the very beginning of this thread (was reading from the start for the lulz) have 'had you' soooooo many times that I'm genuinely curious about a malfunction in your browser when you go to actually click on the evidence being linked.

There have been numerous concrete and reputable links posted over and over and over and over and over again that say the exact same thing......in fact you've repeatedly posted evidence that proves the efficacy of the SSRIs also.

Ffs, STOP doing quick googles and then bringing the ideas to this thread when a good few of us have all heard the same stuff a billion times before.

Psychiatry is a medical specialty, remember that......if you look at almost any medical condition and do a quick google on cures for it, I can guarantee you will hit an absolute wall of nutritionists and alternative quacks peddling nonsense about how big pharma are evil dickheads and how every drug for every condition is essentially an addictive poison used to buoy up pharmaceutical companies' massively volatile share prices.

Without being facetious, if anybody out there has any doubts about the chemical element of human happiness, take some mdma. The vast majority of people report a profound and real happiness as it hits the serotonin and dopamine pathways and the next day, an often crippling sense of loss as the brain attempts to re-balance.

While you might take this as some sort of nutter telling people to take yokes and go on a mad one, remember the development of LSD was a huge moment in medical science as it so accurately mimicked the symptoms of schizophrenia.

Certain recreational drugs (although mdma was a psychotherapeutic drug before it hit the clubs and streets) have given huge insight into the working of the human brain.

the subjective experience of pure unadulterated happiness (ain't called ecstasy for nothing) caused by a tiny 100mg dose of a drug that specifically targets the serotonin receptors is one hell of a clue into what actually constitutes what we call happiness.

But crucially, the comedown the next day is so absolutely mind-blowingly similar to what one would call depression in the technical sense, that it would be absolutely impossible to not at least acknowledge that the chemical basis for depression is at least existent.

I'll address it!, they summarized psychiatric opinion...what the fukk is that?, is it an opinion of a known serial killer your going on?, or the work of known gentlemen?, probably the latter in your eye's, doesn't make it true.

it would be the opinion of a medical specialty made up of fully qualified and licensed physicians and specialists in the human mind and their interpretation of published data and clinical experience.

• Advertisement

it would be the opinion of a medical specialty made up of fully qualified and licensed physicians and specialists in the human mind and their interpretation of published data and clinical experience.

Ok, as it can't be verified I'll call it un-verifiable, if u can verify it, it wouldnt make your job any easier, as they are part of the medical mafia.....look into them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement