Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big 5-0 coming up...they want to buy me a watch!!!

Options
  • 23-05-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Please help... I have the BIG 5-0 coming up and I got wind that the In-Laws are going to buy me a Watch.!!!

Obviously.. the wife has tipped me off and so I have a chance to get 'my speke' in now and have the opportunity to have a hand (!!) in the decision!!!

I have been wearing am Casio Pro-Trek for years (as I am involved with underage GAA and hence love all the Timekeeing and Stop-watch facilities) supplemented with a Casio G-Shock (for hacking in the shed!!) and so they know I like something 'chunky'!!

However... I never wear then to Board Meetings and so the wife thought that it would be time to get something formal for the 'professional' that I am!!

She knows I love the look of the Tag stuff - so can you help me give her ideas as this is moving me 'up a gear'!!

.... I have 'GREAT' in-laws!!! So..no jokes please!!

Any advice on what direction to push them????

Masala

PS... I reckon they will spend up to a €1,000 on the watch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Masala

Bedlam.... to be honest 'NO'. This is new to me ... I only own 2 x watches - both Casios!! But I like 'chunky' with chain link rather than leather straps! !!!

Hope that makes sense!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 whiteknucles

The Tag Aquaracer comes to mind , Probably quartz due to budget reasons but both decent watches...http://www.tagheuer.com/the-collection/aquaracer/man/quartz-watch/index.lbl?w=WAB1110.BA0800

If they could stretch it a little I prefer this
    http://www.tagheuer.com/the-collection/carrera/men/automatic-watch/index.lbl?w=WV211B.BA0787

the Carrera which featured prominently in the movie Inception.

Also have a look at Sinn Watches, particularly the U1 Automatic on Bracelet, fine chunky watch -44mm - robust divers watch available online from Chronomaster
    http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/sinn_u_series.htm
    I have this watch and it is a favourite. Maybe a little thick for a shirt but I wear it like that and it's fine.

Another good choice would be the Longines Hydroconquest not out of budget
    http://www.longines.com/watches/longines-hydroconquest/L3.642.4.56.6

I would definitely go for Automatic rather than quartz if the budget allows...always! Bar the Sinn range all these watches are readily available in most decent outlets.
    Of course the likes of Seiko and Citizen have some nice watches too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Liking the Longines. Not the obvious choice either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Tissot Le Locle might be worth a look.

t41_1_483_33-big3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

At €1000, you're just at the edge of getting a nice used Omega Seamaster 2254 or a Seamster GMT like the one below, but I presume it's not an option to get something pre-owned.

bgmt6-500x375.jpg

So, a few ideas for something new - prices vary, but should all be below €1k...

Sinn 556 on a bracelet...

Sinn-556.jpg

1472652.jpg

Longines Conquest:

429895d1304259299-need-advice-style-watch-work-weekend-if-i-only-want-buy-one-watch-longines_hydro_conquest_automatic.jpg

Seiko SBDC001

408597d1300773443-seiko-skx007-seiko-sbdc001-seiko-sbdx001-sbdc001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Masala

Thanks Guys....really appreciate the feedback!!

Tell me though... what makes a watch worth €1,000. The Tag, Longines & Seiko all look alike....actually look remarkable alike!!!

i am still favouring the Tag.... am I being a snob who is being won over on a 'label'????

PS.... actually I though that there would be 'more choice' of Tags for €1,000?? Again... is this too simplistic???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As this is your 50th, I'd like to make a radical suggestion.

So far you're known as Mr Chunky (at least watchwise) ...if I were you, I'd use this juncture for a radical image change ...at least off the pitch and outside the shed.

For that professional look at the board meeeting ...dazzle them with German efficiency and quiet understatement.

The Junghans "Max Bill"

124099937.jpg

Also available as chrono ...but then slightly above budget...................................Alternatively with black leather

max-bill-by-junghans-chronoscope-selectism-0.jpgMB3700.jpg

or even with a black dial
    max_bill_chrono-b001_s.jpg

Masala wrote: »
    Thanks Guys....really appreciate the feedback!!

Tell me though... what makes a watch worth €1,000. The Tag, Longines & Seiko all look alike....actually look remarkable alike!!!

i am still favouring the Tag.... am I being a snob who is being won over on a 'label'????

PS.... actually I though that there would be 'more choice' of Tags for €1,000?? Again... is this too simplistic???
    It's complicated. A lot of it is obviously brand perception - you pay for their advertising, which creates an image. Think of the well known brands - then think of why they are well-known. Rolex, Omega, TAG, these guys spend a fortune on advertising. Plus they make nice watches.

On the other hand, you have mass-market brands like Seiko who don't spend nearly so much of their budget in marketing. They make watches costing anything from €25 to €25,000 euros or so. If you buy a Grand Seiko for €5k, you know that a far smaller proportion of the money you have spent has been wasted on sponsorong golf tournaments and yacht races.

Then, at the extreme end of the curve, you have a host of smaller watch brands like Sinn, Stowa, Damasko - these guys appear to spend almost nothing on marketing, relying on word-of-mouth, more or less. So if you spend €1000 on one of these, you know that the vast majority of the money has gone into actually making the watch that sits on your hand.

Now, I like the idea that I'm wearing a €1000 worth of watch, not a €500 watch plus €500 of past advertising, but at the same time it's very hard to separate the brand prestige from the watch itself. And I think we are all somewhere along a curve with image over substance at one end, and substance over image at the other. I like Sinn and Seiko and Damasko because they make great watches, have interesting designs, and are not outrageously expensive. But other people will like TAG and Rolex and whatever because they carry a certain message with with them, and that is part of the product you are buying. (which is not to say that I would not buy a Rolex - but I'd probably prefer a vintage Submariner or someting).

But of course, that may well be a load of 'philosophical' waffle that doesn't answer your question, in which case I'll direct you to this short guide and wish you luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Just back from Spain and came across Hamilton "Lord Hamilton" Chronograph day/date absolutely stunning watch for €1040.00. It sells for quite a bit more on the web. I plan on going back later in the year to make the purchase. Comes in braclet or leather strap.

91YKXZaoAVL_AA1500_.jpg

81CaIeckmQL_AA1500_.jpg

71vIu52QHSL_AA1500_.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

just saw this on adverts and it might be of interest
    http://www.adverts.ie/mens-watches/tag-heuer-mens-link-watch-wj1111/377088

sure its a quartz, but you might like the design.

you could then take the remaining money and take everyone out for a great dinner :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I have no idea about watches or prices but after following the Tag Heuer link, I have to say, what a cracking looking watch!
    Watch link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Just thought I'd throw this up
    mopoliertarabischweiss1.jpg

It is around your budget, comes in a polished or matt case, (matt slightly more expensive than polished)in a black or white face with roman or arabic numerals and with a range of straps. It features a solid swiss mechanical movement and it's made by a company that is run in a very old fashioned way, (the owner checks each watch, before it leaves the premises, small team assembling them not mass produced etc). The hands there are blued steel this is a process where they are heated up in a very hot fire, and then at the right time plunged into cold water. This makes the steel turn a blue colour, it is a chemical process and therefore will not flake like lesser models where the hands a painted. There is an exhibition case back where you can see the movement, it is decorated with blued screws. It's a lot of watch for the money.

There is a bit of a wait, but this is to be expected, your not likely to run into anyone else with the same watch.

Just for info, I saw that Stowa in the flesh yesterday in Dusseldorf - there's a small chain in Germany called Manu Factum who stock small numbers of Sinn and Stowa watches on site, you can check where they have branches (in Germany) on line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Was in Ernest and Jones on Grafton St and noticed this.

http://www.tagheuer.com/int-en/home#/int-en-thecollections-menswatches-watches-aquaracer-products-calibre5automaticwatch41-productsheet-wap2010-ba0830

You like Tag's and it's reduced from €1,500 to €1,050. So just over budget.

WEB_PR_SHEETWAP2010.BA0830_sticker.png

Advertisement