Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LASER EYE SURGERY DUBLIN

Options
  • 15-01-2011 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey! Thinking of getting laser eye surgery in the next couple of months, so if theres anyone from Dublin who's had it done feedback would be much appreciated on how it went and where you got it done.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I got mine done in the Mater Private. They were great, I really felt like i was in safe hands. Had my last checkup about a year ago and have had no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

Hi - I had mine done yesterday @ 4pm with Optilase in Dublin.

Whole process was fine. Actual surgery part took less than 20 mins in total & I had both eyes done. Didnt experience any pain during it!

Eyes dry and that after & a bit of blurred vision but keep throwing in the eye drops & it's all good.

Had my check-up today & am not quite 20/20 yet but that's normal!

Delighted :)

Edit: Had LASIK with Wavefront

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Beverley Macca

Gerbud

How much did treatment cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

Gerbud

How much did treatment cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Hi. I had my initial consultation in the Mater Private two weeks and I'm getting my first eye done next Friday and the second one the following Friday. I was recommended the Mater Private by a friend who had it done there.

Has anyone thought of what they will do with their glasses afterwards? Mine are pretty expensive Chanel ones and I'm considering turning them into sunglasses- anyone done this?

thanx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

CBFi wrote: »
    Hi. I had my initial consultation in the Mater Private two weeks and I'm getting my first eye done next Friday and the second one the following Friday. I was recommended the Mater Private by a friend who had it done there.

Has anyone thought of what they will do with their glasses afterwards? Mine are pretty expensive Chanel ones and I'm considering turning them into sunglasses- anyone done this?

thanx

Who is the consultant? I'm thinking about it but want the best treatment and backup. Can't believe the people on here going for the cheapest option - you only get one pair of eyes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

I can only second the comments about the mater private, had mine done their and you get what you pay for, excellent staff and superb aftercare. I know some people who got it done in North Ireland on the cheap and they had a far worst time of it than me.

micdug wrote: »
    Who is the consultant? I'm thinking about it but want the best treatment and backup. Can't believe the people on here going for the cheapest option - you only get one pair of eyes :o

There are 3/4 of them who are listed on the website but I went with Prof Michael O'Keefe as that's who my friend had and she said he's supposed to be the top of his game in ireland. I completely agree with you- I went for the best care possible regardless of price. I just saved until I had the money to do it right! He's been doing laser eye surgery for 16 years.

I've had one eye done- last Friday and it's been fine. I admit, the weekend was pretty uncomfortable and sometimes painful but when I got worried I had a 24hr number to call and a nurse got onto Prof O'Keefe directly for advice......at 11pm on a Sunday :/

I believe the Beacon are good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Further to the discussion about the mater private, my treatment was under Dr. Susan Fitzsimon and i can only say good things about her and her staff. Also if memory serves me correctly, think the mater private has done laser surgery for some top sports stars.

http://www.materprivate.ie/eye-laser/about-us/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sarahmurf

I went for the intial consultation this evening in Optilase. Has anyone had the surgery done there? I'm still thinking about the Mater Private, but I'd like to get both eyes done on the same day. Anyone know why they only do one eye at a time in the Mater? Can you get the 20% tax rebate from the Mater too?

• Advertisement

micdug wrote: »

I was the mater private as well, Professor O'Keeffe was my consultant. Susan Fitzsimon did some of my follow ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

sarahmurf wrote: »
    I went for the intial consultation this evening in Optilase. Has anyone had the surgery done there? I'm still thinking about the Mater Private, but I'd like to get both eyes done on the same day. Anyone know why they only do one eye at a time in the Mater? Can you get the 20% tax rebate from the Mater too?

Normally the Mater Private recommend the LASEK treatment which requires a longer recovery and that's they wait a week between treatments. However they also so LASIK and can do both in one day.

20% tax rebate is available for Mater Private treatments and all other clinics. They offer a single, inclusive price - no extras for Wavefront etc.

Prof O'Keffe and his team are excellent. You get as many follow-up consultations as are necessary.

kc56 wrote: »
    Normally the Mater Private recommend the LASEK treatment which requires a longer recovery and that's they wait a week between treatments. However they also so LASIK and can do both in one day.

Are you sure about this?
    When I went I was told I was suitable for both Lasek & Lasik. I had to have a 2 week break between eyes if getting Lasek and a one week break if getting Lasik. They don't do both eyes in day unless they have changed the rules recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

BC wrote: »
    Are you sure about this?
    When I went I was told I was suitable for both Lasek & Lasik. I had to have a 2 week break between eyes if getting Lasek and a one week break if getting Lasik. They don't do both eyes in day unless they have changed the rules recently.

It's not their normal practice to do both in one day as they take a cautious approach but it has been done. I don't know if this is available on request or only when it is considered advisable.

As I said, they Mater Private has an excellent team and reputation. I'd take their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

CBFI, have you had your 2nd eye done at Mater private?
    I just made an appointment today to see Prof O' Keefe, not until end of May.

I have to admit, I am totally bricking it if I do decide to get it done - was anyone else really worried in case something went wrong?! As someone said, you only have one pair of eyes, and I am totally torn between wanting the freedom of not having to wear glasses or lenses versus the terror of having something go wrong. I think if I ended up with dry eyes or something then I would be kicking myself for not having put up with the chore that is glasses :confused:

For any of you who have had it done, did they speak about any potential risks at your consultation? I got a consult done years ago (prob 8 years ago with Prof O' Keefe also), and was put off at the time because they said I might suffer from 'star bursts/ blurry night vision'......

Plus my other half is also terrified, keeps saying what if I end up in a worse situation etc. etc. But for anyone who has good vision, they have no idea what it is like not to be able to see when you wake up in the morning.

Aaaggh, what to do?

Hi buzz55- i know exactly what you feel like- i think everyone has these concerns and it's normal because it is elective and not absolutely necessary BUT I have had no problems.from what i hear, complications only arise in less than 1% of patients and the tests that Prof O'Keefe will do will determine if you are likely to have any complications.

that said, i have suffered very slightly with dry eye if i'm looking at a screen for too long; i have starbursts around lights at night time and my eyesight is still not 100%. do I have any regrets? no! it can take up to 3 months for your eyesight to settle so I'm still recovering and none of this is worrying me. I do find it strange to be without glasses and sometimes its disconcerting but I love not having to worry about lenses/ glasses and having that freedom. My eyesight just isn't 'sharp' yet but on the eyesight chart I'm reading 4th line from bottom which, I think, is pretty good :D

You need to consider your options but you've made a good choice about going to a hospital and not a clinic, they will do all the tests and he will most likely recommend LASEK over LASIK as it's a more painful, slower recovery BUT has lower risk of complication. Which made sense to me!

I hope this (really long) reply helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 smccart6

Hi,
    Anyone interested in getting their laser done in optilase if they are PM me as I have a referral which gives you €100 off you need to say this on your initial consultation.

I had laser done by them about 6 weeks ago and it is the best thing I have ever done. I have better then 20/20 vision and had no dry eye, glare etc. They were so nice to deal with and the follow up is brilliant.

Thanks CBFI, I guess its normal to be very wary over making such a big decision. I'm just going to wait until after my consultation, see what they say before I decide any further. I may not be suitable for the surgery at all!

One thing, and apologies if this seems really stupid but here goes - in between getting your first & second eye done - could you see? enough to drive, or did you still have to wear glassed with one lens out or something?!!

Not a silly question at all! I could see pretty much straight away (but then the numbing drops wear off and you basically spend the next three days with your eyes closed!)- not 100% but pretty good. they popped one lense out of my glasses but I found this really disorientating so, when just walking around, I went completely without glasses but used my glasses (with lasered eye closed) when using a computer. I didnt drive because it wasnt necessary and I was nervous. But I was told I could drive wearing glasses.

I was worried about getting second eye done and then being able to work (use computer the whole time) but it was fine. i got mine done the friday, got protective lense out the Monday (had monday off work) and then went back to work on Tuesday. By the Thursday/ Friday of that week, each eye had more/ less recovered.

thanks for your reply. Was it Lasek that you had done so? And are you able to drive ok now, any problems with driving at night time?
    I too work with computers all day so I'd prefer to take plenty of time off between each eye.

Do they recommend the length of time between surgeries? Just wondering if it would be silly to wait a month or more, just to make sure that the first eye was recovering ok?

I really do have fears!

• Advertisement

I only left it a week apart which is what was suggested to me. im able to drive fine. at night, i have some hazing and starbursts but it's nothing that would make driving dangerous- just weird.

if you want to be cautious then wait longer but i was glad to get up and running quickly as having two different eyes was a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

had consultation yesterday with optical express, booked in for next thurs wavefront with intralase both eyes. cant wait to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishbreeze

Keith C wrote: »
    had consultation yesterday with optical express, booked in for next thurs wavefront with intralase both eyes. cant wait to get it done.

Hi Keith,
    How did OE go with you?
    seems you were taken in quick enough after consultation. How do you feel now? did you suffer from dry eyes, starbursts,halo etc at all?

thanks.

2 months later and I have better than 20/20 vision. starburst with car lights and street lights at night are getting better and dry eye is only in the mornings now.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

I had my surgery roughly 5 years ago by Proff. O' Keaffe in the matter private and can honestly say it was the best thing i've ever done although it did kick start a sunglasses buying spree purely because i cud walk into a shop and buy them! I had a brilliant experience there, they couldn't have been more helpful which included holding my hand for the second eye because i was more nervous knowing what was about to happen and they throughly tested my eyes beforehand which put me at ease i never had any problems regarding dry eyes or blurred vision and after the first eye could see without glasses it was amazing. I now have 20/20 vision :D and I really can't recommend them enough especially on recently hearing of a girl who had surgery about the same time as me in another clinic who is now back wearing glasses.

Also the reason for the week between surgery in the matter is that they take the approach of you only have one pair of eyes and they want to make sure everything is ok with the first eye before they touch the second in the very small case that something should go wrong you still have your second eye. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Wavefront, both eyes, €575 in Lithuania.

They all spoke English, great service, haven't had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishbreeze

sf80 wrote: »
    Wavefront, both eyes, €575 in Lithuania.

They all spoke English, great service, haven't had any problems.

Its great value!!
    But aftercare is very important!
    Research, research and research!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mprgst78

hey, i'm considering getting laser eye surgery. I'm -2.5, -2.75. Can anyone recommend a good place to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 smccart6

mprgst78 wrote: »
    hey, i'm considering getting laser eye surgery. I'm -2.5, -2.75. Can anyone recommend a good place to go?

As I got mine done I can refer you and you get €100 of the price.

I got mine done in Optilase on Ely Place. I went for a consult in the Mater & Blackrock clinic and I went with Optilase as I found their after care the best and they were really nice. I was -2.75 in both eyes. It was really quick I did not get any dry eye no blood shot nothing. I went home after it and I did not have a gritty feeling that most people stated they got. I went to sleep for an hour and when I woke up my eyes weren't watering nothing. I went back up the next morning for a check up and I had better then 20/20 I had 20/15 less then 24 hours. I did not have any glare problems either. Best thing I ever done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

anyone had it done when they were near 40 ? any issues with reading a few years after - were reading glasses necessary?

I can't wear contacts - I just can't put my finger near my eye. I've been considering for quite some time and it seems its a great thing. I haven't read horror stories - are there any?

I was thinking of the Belfast Cathedral eye clinic - anyone been there?
    I don't care where I go as long as I can get enough recommendations from others

Advertisement