Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it right to have a national DNA database to tackle crime?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Because random house searches literally are an invasion of privacy that would impact on the day to day lives of people. One DNA sample taken would not effect anyone at all unless they've committed a crime.

And if the data gets leaked, as it always does? Wouldn't we all be happy to see our health ins going up because they examined our dna?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

facepalm, I'm talking about if the evidence DNA get's mixed up, then a retest won't mean ****.

Err, if your DNA is someone mixed up with a murderer's, who then goes and murders someone then the only way you would be identified is if the murderer left DNA at the scene. In which case ANOTHER sample of your DNA can be taken and compared to the DNA found at the scene thereby proving your innocence.

Facepalm indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

How is having a sample of DNA going to negatively incriminate someone in the future?

Genome sequencing is not fool proof. My sister worked in a lab which got shut down for returning a false positive. They were using industry standard but it wasnt 100% effective.

Edit: i cant find a link - its was relatively hush hush at the time (connected to one of the universities) and wasn't reported on.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I am sure they would do it while you are at work. So its ok then?
    Oh, but what if I'm unemployed. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you're clutching at straws now.

Genome sequencing is not fool proof. My sister worked in a lab which got shut down for returning a false positive. They were using industry standard but it wasnt 100% effective.
    Which was obviously detected, hence the lab was shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...I love that, I'm over reacting by not trusting authority absolutely.
    Never said anything of the kind so please don't infer it.
    You clearly mis-read my post.
    What if someone within the police has committed a crime and has decided to just frame some poor sod? you think this has never happened? seriously?...
    Short version: No law is perfect and is 100% secure but as mentioned already if you have a lawyer/solicitor/barrister with a modicum of working brain cells, then they should be able to defend you given the 'Trillion' odds and the other variables of evidence and alibis.
    Not only would an officer have to state that your DNA was there BUT they would also have to show AND PROVE too, how it got there!

bluewolf wrote: »
    And if the data gets leaked, as it always does? Wouldn't we all be happy to see our health ins going up because they examined our dna?
    Well there's already plenty of data held about us, your medical records, phone record, fingerprints, internet usage and a crap load more, all of which has the potential to be stolen. We don't just stop holding data because of it, we just try and think of better ways to protect it. Something like a DNA sample shouldn't be treated differently because it potentially may be stolen.

Which was obviously detected, hence the lab was shut down.

No it wasnt - they paid for a second test. They dont sequence the entire genome (i dont even know if it is possible?)

Oh, but what if I'm unemployed. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you're clutching at straws now.

If you dont want to answer the question just say so!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'd go even further and have it so that anyone that is arrested has their DNA taken and held on file. If you've nothing to hide what's the problem??

Can we set up a live webcam in your sitting room? If you've nothing to hide whats the problem?

• Advertisement

If you dont want to answer the question just say so!
    Why would I want to answer stupid questions?

Can we set up a live webcam in your sitting room? If you've nothing to hide whats the problem?
    Weldoninhio might want to spare you the feeling of being inadequate in certain body parts ;) so they might be cruel to be kind! :pac:

Why would I want to answer stupid questions?

Beacuse you are a fuckin retard? Is that a stupid question?

You are in catch 22 now :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

I think if doo gooders had a family member or friend who was murdered or raped and DNA could help catch the culprit they wouldn't be long changing their attitude towards a DNA database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

I think everyones DNA should be taken at birth. It would help in a lot of cases.

I dont see why people are complaining, what difference would it make if the government had your DNA?? Or even if someone got information on your DNA?
    Dont think it would affect your life at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

The "What's the problem if you have nothing to hide?" argument falls apart pretty quickly once the government starts making laws you don't agree with.

The reason innocent people would have a problem with this clear invasion of privacy is because we don't want an invasive government; invasive government is incredibly dangerous and giving the government too much information about yourself is incredibly dangerous, as the Nazi party so kindly demonstrated to us over half a century ago.

It usually starts with things like this - it's how it started in America, anyway, though not with DNA but rather free speech - with the Patriot Act, the government was allowed to monitor basically everything and has effectively kidnapped completely innocent people with no prior warning or reason on multiple occasions. Since the Patriot Act, the United States has been notable in its consistent infringements on human rights - corrupt cops, kidnapping innocent people, adding innocent people (including children) to travel blacklists, TSA screening, phone call monitoring, Gitmo.. the list is exhaustive. The U.S. is a perfect example of why you should not give up your liberty to the government in exchange for empty promises of fleeting security.
    And nevermind the sex offender register, which alongside serial rapists and child molesters contains people who committed the 'offense' of having consensual sex with their girlfriend who may have only been a year or even a month younger, and has ruined their job prospects, living prospects and reputation permanently. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to tie this DNA business with convicting sex offenders here in Ireland at all.

With DNA, it's only a matter of time before it's not only for hardened criminals, but your average pot smoker, or people who've been caught peeing in public. And then who knows? And what happens if, come a few elections down the road, you're stuck choosing between governments who want to impose laws you don't agree with and want to use this DNA data to convict those 'criminals'? Would you still be trotting out the same lines then?

It boggles my mind the amount of trust some of you seem to have for your government, especially when you've quite recent history of corruption, greed and lies. Perhaps it's because I'm from North America and I've had exposure to the United States most of my life and have a very raw awareness of the corruption this may lead to under the guise of controlling crime or promoting security, I don't know - but it's a bit disturbing to see a sort of blind faith in the idea that any law imposed by the government must be just therefore any length gone to uphold it must be justified, even when it infringes on our rights, and that any disagreement with this implicates oneself as a criminal. And I find it difficult to understand the apparent lack of foresight or even hindsight when it comes to understanding why governmental control or monitoring of our private information is dangerous to us and our ancestors in the long run.

There's a much bigger picture here that the black and white statement of "if you've got nothing to hide, you shouldn't have a problem" simply does not account for.

Beacuse you are a fuckin retard? Is that a stupid question?

You are in catch 22 now :pac:
    Reported. Resorting to personal abuse doesn't really add any merit to your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

liah wrote: »

It boggles my mind the amount of trust some of you seem to have for your government

Quoted for truth.

Reported. Resorting to personal abuse doesn't really add any merit to your argument.

I was making a point in a facetious manner- but anyway continue not to answer the original question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Err, if your DNA is someone mixed up with a murderer's, who then goes and murders someone then the only way you would be identified is if the murderer left DNA at the scene. In which case ANOTHER sample of your DNA can be taken and compared to the DNA found at the scene thereby proving your innocence.

Facepalm indeed.
    And you're saying 100% that a fault can't occur within the system and that an innocent person can't be put in jail because of a mistake or otherwise. A man named Alan Gell in America was on death row for 5 years, even though the prosecution had the evidence before the trial that could free him... you know what that evidence was? he was already in jail at the time of the murder. He remained on death row for 2 more years before they released him. you're saying something like that could never happen here?

And let me get this straight, you think that someone caught smoking a joint should have his/her DNA put in a database?

I love the way you've steered clear of the idea of purposefully planting evidence.
    Biggins wrote: »
    Never said anything of the kind so please don't infer it.
    You clearly mis-read my post.
    No, I didn't miss read your post, my entire point was that I don't completely trust the government or a system put in place by the government that could jeopardise the freedom of the individual, the first thing you said was "over-reactionary rubbish", yet it was I who clearly misunderstood.
    Short version: No law is perfect and is 100% secure but as mentioned already if you have a lawyer/solicitor/barrister with a modicum of working brain cells, then they should be able to defend you given the 'Trillion' odds and the other variables of evidence and alibis.
    Not only would an officer have to state that your DNA was there BUT they would also have to show AND PROVE too, how it got there!
    You're acting as if its absolute when you clearly pulled the "trillion" odds out of your ass, you don't know what the odds are that evidence can be mixed up. it's certainly not trillion. I'm not saying evidence gets mixed up all the time, but the fact is, it has happened with normal evidence, it could happen with DNA evidence and it probably will.

Both of you dodged the question of purposefully planting evidence. do you think that it's just not possible?

If it happened what would you think? would it be OK with you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The chances are approx 1 in 2/3 trillion! The odds are in your favour!
    Please read the quote you quoted again

It's like the lottery, your chances of winning are practically nil, but most weeks someone wins

...Costello says that it is accepted that under ideal conditions there will be one false match per one trillion checks. He calculates that about 2.5tn comparisons have been made (500,000 [crime scene samples] x 5,000,000 [subject samples] = 2,500,000,000,000) so it is reasonable to expect that at least two errors have occurred.
    If you compare every crime scene against every person in the database the odds drop a lot

if the database was to include everyone on the planet (7 billion) then you'd get one in a trillion hit every 143 crime scenes - and that's under ideal conditions , uniform distribution of differences, uncontaminated DNA etc.

and again I would dispute the one in a trillion figure without more public info on which enzymes are used, which parts of DNA they work on and the likely frequency of them in the general population.

There has to be a balance between the "CSI effect" and reliance on one piece of evidence.

Also there was a case of a twin raping someone and neither being jailed because they couldn't prove which one it was.

...No, I didn't miss read your post, my entire point was that I don't completely trust the government or a system put in place by the government that could jeopardise the freedom of the individual...
    Everything on this earth is a risk or danger to an individual.
    The best one can do is keep your nose clean, stay off the radar of the Gardi and crime units.
    If not, what can you expect or deserve!
    ...You're acting as if its absolute when you clearly pulled the "trillion" odds out of your ass...
    Really? Seriously?
    Are you that blind you didn't see the previous links I provided?
    One of the most stupidest statements I've seen this morning so far.
    ...I'm not saying evidence gets mixed up all the time, but the fact is, it has happened with normal evidence...
    ...On the extreme rare occassion and whats more with NO DNA evidence to back the innocent person up!
    YES, DNA can actually prove INNOCENCE as well as guilt but hey, lets all thrown reason out the window and speed over that equal fact in order to portray an argument of there might be widescale corruption and the Gardi is all out to get you and everyone!
    ...More stupidity and lack of foresight!
    ...Both of you dodged the question of purposefully planting evidence. do you think that it's just not possible?

If it happened what would you think? would it be OK with you?
    Planting evidence is ALWAYS possible but as hinted to above, with DNA, even that is now MUCH, MUCH harder given the variables of alibis, other evidence, etc that can equally swing in the direction of an innocents direction!
    ...But hey, lets skip over that too to portray the impression also that only DNA proves guilt! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I think the infrastructure is already there for a DNA database particularly for those born in the last 20 years. I think the heel prick test samples are still kept on file which could be used. I think certain records before some year in the 1980s awere destroyed.

Personally, I do not see any problems with it's introduction. People who think the government are out to get the public are just scaremongering. Sure there will be unfortunate cases caused by either incompetence , corruption or greed but these will exist anyway. If someone sets out to screw you they will find a way regardless. The overwhelming benefits will far outweigh any potential downside.

Corruption in this country is usually related to greed rather than an attempt to destroy a persons life through wroungful conviction. You only need to see the case in Donegal to realise that this is possible already without a DNA database. The sooner it is brought in the better.

...It's like the lottery, your chances of winning are practically nil, but most weeks someone wins
    Indeed but all those lottery winners if it came to DNA and matching up... have they all be in the exact same place, at the same time, with the exact ticket, been seen by the same witnesses (staff), etc to beat the odds and win? Every time?

No, they were all over the place and that means (indicates) there are many other variables at play too that most here are clearly not taking into account.

And you're saying 100% that a fault can't occur within the system and that an innocent person can't be put in jail because of a mistake or otherwise. A man named Alan Gell in America was on death row for 5 years, even though the prosecution had the evidence before the trial that could free him... you know what that evidence was? he was already in jail at the time of the murder. He remained on death row for 2 more years before they released him. you're saying something like that could never happen here?

Are you under some naive assumption that the current judicial system is foolproof or something? Mistakes happen, it's a fact of life, sorry to break it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Daegerty wrote: »
    Why should you have to give a sample just for being arrested. Anyone can get arrested and not have done anything wrong

Well it's not much good having a DNA database if it can only be used after a person has been found guilty of the crime in question.

Also on the argument about reliability - how does the reliability of DNA compare with the reliability of fingerprints...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Fremen wrote: »
    In the age of the internet, computers leak like sieves. Look at wikileaks. Gary McKinnon hacked into the pentagon even though he had minimal expertise. MI5 can't keep their computers in order, so what chance do the gardai have?

You decided to leave out, in your quote, the line which justified my statement. DNA is not data which can be easily interpreted by anyone outside of a forensic lab.

It's not like stealing someone's photographic ID or bank statement.

Please don't quote me out of context like that again.

I think people are running away with this a bit. DNA can place a person at a crime scene, or show that they touched something. Unless it's a rape, and someone's DNA is actually found inside the victim (in which case it would be very incriminating but not absolute), it's just not going to happen that someone is convicted purely for having their DNA at a crime scene.

As far as I can see, there's no harm in having your DNA on a database. There's been suggestions that it will be used as a screening criteria for visas/insurance, but that's an entirely different matter. The matter at hand is a DNA database for the use of the Gardai. If the database did get leaked, no insurance company could legally use it, so that's not an issue. It's not a credit card number. What are they going to do, clone us? Worst case scenario, some computer geek in the middle of nowhere finds out through extensive research into genomics that someone he doesn't know has a genetic disorder.

DNA can only be used in this context as identification, and yes, someone else would be able to put your DNA at certain locations, but there's no possibility of identity theft, and as for planting evidence, you'd get placed at the scene of a crime, but no one would get convicted purely for being somewhere.

Mark200 wrote: »
    Well it's not much good having a DNA database if it can only be used after a person has been found guilty of the crime in question.
    Thus the appeals process, re-examination of evidence, more testing by independent testers, collaborating evidence also re-examined ...the list goes on...
    Mark200 wrote: »
    ...Also on the argument about reliability - how does the reliability of DNA compare with the reliability of fingerprints...?
    See the statics HERE and compare them to HERE and HERE for example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The important word above should be the underlined one.
    If you are not breaking the law - what the hell have you got to worry about?
    If your breaking the law, well ye reap as ye sow!
    look at the laws that have changed in your lifetime

a husband can now be found guilty of raping his wife
    homosexuality is no longer a crime
    using contraceptives is no longer a crime
    the list of prohibited substances has changed

look at the old archaic laws that were got rid of a few years back

look at the patriot act and it's ilk in the US

or the change in the right to silence in the UK

look at the special powers act 1922 as used up north
    (I've heard it said that the Police chief in South Africa said he'd give up all of the Apartide Laws just for a few provisions of the 1922 act)

down here the Emergency Powers Act that were given during "The Emergency" (world war II) were technically still in place until 1976 - things like complete control of the nmedia and suspension of Habeous Corpus

Also most drivers are guilty of speeding ( > 95% on inter urban roads - measured by the RAS (IIRC it was 99% but cba looking it up )) - driving on the hatched white lines means one penalty point BTW.
    most people here have broken copyright law at some time in the past (at one stage 90% of software used in irish businesses was pirated, legit downloads account for maybe 1.5% of music online , and just don't get me started on software licensing gotcha's )

Only the guilty need fear

“If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him"
    attributed to Cardinal Richelieu

We live in a country where a murderer was found in the Aturney Generals house. What about the arms trials ? Or the many bizzare miscarriges of justice and people getting off on technicalities.

many people will die because of reduced funding for health and policing because of the banking crisis those who broke the law and the spirit of the law won't get prosecuted :mad:

Advertisement