Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welsh digital switch over-Irish reception questions answered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭joceadaigh

What exactly does lift situation mean? I know it improves the distance signals travel... Also got hd mux from the Wrekin (west borders) last night. But what is happening in the atmosphere ?

No freeview this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

joceadaigh wrote: »
    What exactly does lift situation mean? I know it improves the distance signals travel... Also got hd mux from the Wrekin (west borders) last night. But what is happening in the atmosphere ?

I wonder is it the blanket of Saharan dust covering the country that's causing problems,it was mentioned on the weather forecast yesterday that it's pushed in over the country from sand storms in North Africa early in the week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

... Also got hd mux from the Wrekin (west borders) last night.

A test? There's not supposed to be HD from there until 20th April.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    A test? There's not supposed to be HD from there until 20th April.

Guess it must have started early... or is still a test. But was coming in on Ch30 and added England - West Borders to the regions settings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Must have been Caldbeck; The Wrekin is Central region.

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Must have been Caldbeck; The Wrekin is Central region.

OK thats possible i guess... I remember getting analogue from that area years ago, even Scottish Regions, so you're probably right.

But here's my problem then... if all these other far away transmitters (ie BP and Caldbeck, even Presli for a bit last night too) are coming in during 'lift situations' on a Vertically Polarised aerial pointed at Arfon... why is Arforn not coming in normally.

Google trophospheric ducting :)

Arfon was getting destroyed last night by a visiting tx from cornwall called red ruth.
    The lift weather brought it up to wicklow loud and clear over an open sea path.

I went into more detail here about what happens with competing signals and it explains what is happening to your arfon signal.
    Basically Red ruth is garbling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Hi I did'nt want to start a new thread because it's on a smilar topic. The question I have is. I have a Unix 100 element directed towards Presely and I get good reception a lot of the time. However I am 106 miles away so in the winter I get a lot of drop out. I looked on the UKFree.tv and I noticed that Caradon Hill is power at 100,000 watts on it's main Muxs compared too 20,000 watts from Presely. I measured the distance and it's 167 miles. Would the extra power of the transmitter (though the distance is greater) increase the chance of receiving Caradon Hill if I had my aerial directed towards it,rather than Presely. I was wondering if the true horizonwould have an effect on good reception? Would it only come in well with Trop ducting. I'm sure Black Briar or Watty will set me straight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

Caradon Hill is power at 100,000 watts on it's main Muxs compared too 20,000 watts from Presely. I measured the distance and it's 167 miles. Would the extra power of the transmitter (though the distance is greater) increase the chance of receiving Caradon Hill if I had my aerial directed towards it,rather than Presely. I was wondering if the true horizonwould have an effect on good reception? Would it only come in well with Trop ducting. I'm sure Black Briar or Watty will set me straight!!

To compare the two you'd also need to know the pattern (HRP) as you can be sure its not omnidirectional, it might be radiating only a small fraction of that power in some directions such as towards you.
    I know the analogue from there was more often well received to here 20 years ago than it had in later years.

Antenna wrote: »
    To compare the two you'd also need to know the pattern (HRP) as you can be sure its not omnidirectional, it might be radiating only a small fraction of that power in some directions such as towards you.
    I know the analogue from there was more often well received to here 20 years ago than it had in later years.

Thanks for the reply. Now that I think about it Presely was more likely to appear when I didn't have the right aerial, in fact it came in on my Mt Leinster UHF one, I'm not sure if Caradon Hill did it may have but not as regularly as Presely.

• Advertisement

Horizon would be the problem at that distance.
    We tried a group A aerial here years ago on a normal non lift day and got weak caradon.
    It faded in and out from an already low level so unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 wicklowgaz

If you tried to find presely signals on a wb and found 0% signal. Would a grouped antenna doing anything for more you? Im guessing it wouldnt really..:cool:

It's hard to say,is this in or near Tinahely ?
    You should be getting something.It's trial and error if you are just relying on a box.
    Where I live on the coast,you'd find signal without an amp,but not in where you are,I'd imagine.
    Try again using mux's on ch's 43 or 46,they are double the power of the one on ch42.
    Theres no point in trying unless you have someone at the tv with the decoder on the signal strength and quality window and who is talking to you on your mobile.
    Move an inch at a time and wait a few seconds with each move as there is a delay between what the aerial might receive and what the decoder will tell you.

Thanks mate, I think I have the wrong channel I was looking on channel 45.
    I have ordered a good group B aerial and will give it a go on those channels.
    Regards, you are a mighty man,

:D

Hello Boys,

I tried to find the BBC freeview again this weekend using a high gain blake group b aerial. I used to have BBC analog a few years ago so i want to give it a try.

Found the channels on 43 and 46 but they were a bit blocky, just a tad. I was using no amp. I tried channels 40-53, in those i found nothing on 50 either. In a last post a member mentioned that I would not get anything on 50 also. Looking at the link below, channel 50 is on 20kW's like 43 and 46 but is in MPEG 4 and HD. In light of this any one any ideas why im not picking up anything on 50? I will try using an amp next time...

Link show details of muxs on Presely:
    weekendhttp://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SN172306

Regards

Hi only Freeview HD boxes can tune in ch 50 the UK use DVB 2 for their HD which is a different set of spec to Saorview. Presely is blasting at present so with an amp you should see some improvement. In fact Caradon Hill is coming in even ch 22 HD which co channels down here with the Waterford relay. You may wish to see what reception is like in normal conditions.

Hello mate thanks for your post. I will try using an amp, but do you think i can get the other channels on presely? (I will get a HD box for c50) I mean the others mate - are they on too low a power to cross the pond?
    :D

It's a bad time for testing for presely as theres high pressure and you will be getting loads of transmitters,it will confuse you.

You need an amp and power supply unit powering the amp.
    The amp must be as near the aerial as possible or else it will boost noise further down the line aswell.
    You are at nothing without the amp up there.
    The amp if installed right will stabilise that signal for you in normal weather but in current weather,theres going to be fluctuations.

The fact you are getting something without it is a good sign though.

ch 49 will be difficult for you as it's weakest.

42,43,46 and 49 are the ones available to you.

ch 50 needs t2 freeviewhd equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

Hi all,
    Yesterday we had a call up tara hill on the sea side oh it, near Gorey Co. Wexford. The customer had a Samsung HDD freeview recorder which we used for the Freeview and a new Walker Saorview box.

To solve the problem oh mt Leinster and Preseli clashing ( luckily only one point in the house), We wired the existing aerial ( a triax unix52 with a TA25B masthead amp) directly to the Samsung reciever, and installed a new Triax wideband aerial for the Saorview box.

The results were all channels worked from Preseli with 28 db on BER and on mt Leinster 29db BER, basically full strength and quality on the Walker receiver. And of course one happy customer.

It looks as if we're going to have go down the road of running independent cables for any existing freeview customers.

Thanks Black Briar, I have a maxview 22db amp and a fringe also 22db. do you have an recommendations on amps particularly good?

Thanks very much you a great poster!!:)

• Advertisement

Either.

Hi I replaced my unix 100 last week for Dat 75 and since then I have been getting Caradon hill including Ch22 HD. I know there is lift at present but I never got ch 22 because it co channels with Waterford. The aerial is orientated towards Preseli. Looking at the forecast maps there is no trop ducting at present, which I would have thought Caradon Hill would need to be receiveable over such a long distance?

There will always be some tropo in a high regardless of those maps.
    Some very weak caradon analogue has always been available here in wicklow prior to dso so am not surprised you have it with the wb.
    But it's not going to be as reliable as presely.

Can I ask a really stupid question, this pm my Preseli is fading in and out but my Caradon Hill is getting stronger? Aerial orientated towards Preseli and Caradon Hill is 167 miles from Tramore compared to 106 miles for Preseli.

It's not a silly question.
    I lost presely today at lunchtime,all channels went and came back and went again and I would normally have excelent presely.
    It's mr high pressure and there is ducting.

Added to that is sea fog.
    Presely hates sea fog.
    All uhf signals do.

Caradon is just strong thanks to the high.
    Don't ask me to explain the vagaries of this ,it's a black art!

Caradon is 5 times the power of presely by the way.The only reason you don't get it strong here is because it is too far behind the curvature of the earth horizon which blocks the bulk of the signal.
    If presely was the same power,it would set fire to your tv as it isn't too far for the curvature to affect it.
    That comes into play as I understand it,beyond 120 or 130 miles or so.

So theres enough and plenty caradon signal there to be lifted and to blast through fog when it's being lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Actually just back from Cornwall. You can see both Caradon Hill and Redruth at various points along the A30 trunk road through Cornwall. They are both monster sites in terms of location and HAAT. See the mb21.co.uk web site for full details. Caradon is 100kW ERP DVB-T1 and DVB-T2 and Group A so it is no surprise it is being received in RoI. It has few interferers on its PSB channels unlike Preseli, cochannel with LLanddona and Cairn Hill or Redruth which is cochannel with Arfon and Wenvoe. This is why it is easy to get in RoI. A DVB-T1/T2 100kW station behaves exactly like a 500kW PAL-I station except that coverage is perfect out to the edge. In SE Cornwall was getting perfect Caradon 55 miles away through lines of trees including HD when analogue was a trashcan. The DAT75 you have may have better Group A responsiveness. As an aside at Newquay Airport was getting perfect RTE and French radio on FM last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

Hi I replaced my unix 100 last week for Dat 75 and since then I have been getting Caradon hill including Ch22 HD. I know there is lift at present but I never got ch 22 because it co channels with Waterford. The aerial is orientated towards Preseli. Looking at the forecast maps there is no trop ducting at present, which I would have thought Caradon Hill would need to be receiveable over such a long distance?

DAT 75 is a great wideband aerial excellent gain should work well for Preseli as well

oh yes it is great but very large!! No Presely at present getting ch 41,44,47,51 not sure from where though. BBC 1 England and Ch 4 at epg 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

oh yes it is great but very large!! No Presely at present getting ch 41,44,47,51 not sure from ware though. BBC 1 England and Ch 4 at epg 4.

Thats the Redruth Transmitter West Country

• Advertisement

Guys,

You know this aerial that someone mentioned in a different thread. Its a 1,2m dish for faint signals, I priced it with frequency distribution in the UK. They are a trade supplier to the industry. Its quite expensive at 199 pounds plus postage, this includes an amp of course.

There is not many of these aerials on the web for sale.

Regards:confused:

Advertisement