Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 3 (PS3) Flashing Red Light

Options
  • 18-03-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭

Just turned on my PS3. Now I get this flashing red light. It seems to be the RLOD ? I have followed the you tube videos and removed the hard drive and put it back in but its still the same. Is my PS3 fooked :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Probably yes.How old is the PS3?

Check for a brief yellow light and 3 beeps before the red light starts flashing.

If you see that then its the YLOD I'm afraid.Much like my own got it on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

superg wrote: »
    Probably yes.How old is the PS3?

Check for a brief yellow light and 3 beeps before the red light starts flashing.

If you see that then its the YLOD I'm afraid.Much like my own got it on saturday

PS3 is about 3 years old
    Yes its yellow light then 3 beeps then red light flashing.
    Any idea if its easy to get that fixed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Same happened to my 3yr old 40gb last week. It's almost like they're designed to fail.

PS3 is about 3 years old
    Yes its yellow light then 3 beeps then red light flashing.
    Any idea if its easy to get that fixed :(

I just brought mine back to life for under €40. AFAIK both the SONY €160 fix and general console repair fixes are no better than the DIY method. Both only give you a three month warranty so it doesn't sound like they do a reball. The important thing is you can deactivate your account, backup your saves and remove any game from the disc drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Here's a thread on consumer rights and issues with PS3s dying. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=2055795516

Even if you bought it 3years ago and paid circa €400-500 you should still have an expectation that the product would last longer than this.

• Advertisement

Zatoichi wrote: »
    I just brought mine back to life for under €40. AFAIK both the SONY €160 fix and general console repair fixes are no better than the DIY method. Both only give you a three month warranty so it doesn't sound like they do a reball. The important thing is you can deactivate your account, backup your saves and remove any game from the disc drive.

Any link on how to do the DIY fix for under the €40
    Here's a thread on consumer rights and issues with PS3s dying. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=2055795516

Even if you bought it 3years ago and paid circa €400-500 you should still have an expectation that the product would last longer than this.

Thanks for that link but is only links to people who have posted ???

Watch the Gilksy and djwhetzel videos on youtube. It's a temporary fix which can last anywhere from weeks to months. But it's very easy to do and saves you the trouble of going to SONY and wasting €160.

That is, of course, unless SONY or third-party console repairs do a reball repair. In which case, I'd pay for that service. But it doesn't appear to be the case from what I've seen so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Thanks for that link but is only links to people who have posted ???

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795516

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Theres a guy here on boards that can Reball your ps3 with Lead solder which will fix the problem much better than those heatgun DIY fixes Link here

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Peadar_Rua

Just turned on my PS3. Now I get this flashing red light. It seems to be the RLOD ? I have followed the you tube videos and removed the hard drive and put it back in but its still the same. Is my PS3 fooked :mad:

Hi Luckycharms, i recently had the same issue with my 40GB machine, which seems to be the same age as your own.

Upon discovering the problem with the blinking light, i rang up PlayStation support, as i couldn't get my game out of the blue-ray drive.

The guy talked me through a hard reset which didn't work. He told me the problem of the blinking red light is down to the system over heating, and encouraged me to take the cover off the machine to retrieve me disc.

Taking the cover off the PS3 is very simple, there are several vids on you tube, all you need is a philips and starred screwdriver. However it should be noted that opening the machine will invalidate your warranty, but is assume on a 3 year old model this shouldn't pose a problem.

When i removed my cover i was shocked by the amount of dust and fluff under the bonnet, i simply took the hoover to it and gently removed the gunk. The machine is working well now.

I also carried out a fan test once i had the cover back on (hold down the eject button as you switch the machine on from behind) and the machine is running quieter and smoother than ever before.

I hope the above works for you, as it saved me having to fork out on a new machine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Do not void the warranty of your PS3 until you are absolutely sure you have no other recourse with either the shop where you bought your PS3 or with Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Peadar_Rua wrote: »
    Hi Luckycharms, i recently had the same issue with my 40GB machine, which seems to be the same age as your own.

Upon discovering the problem with the blinking light, i rang up PlayStation support, as i couldn't get my game out of the blue-ray drive.

The guy talked me through a hard reset which didn't work. He told me the problem of the blinking red light is down to the system over heating, and encouraged me to take the cover off the machine to retrieve me disc.

Taking the cover off the PS3 is very simple, there are several vids on you tube, all you need is a philips and starred screwdriver. However it should be noted that opening the machine will invalidate your warranty, but is assume on a 3 year old model this shouldn't pose a problem.

When i removed my cover i was shocked by the amount of dust and fluff under the bonnet, i simply took the hoover to it and gently removed the gunk. The machine is working well now.

I also carried out a fan test once i had the cover back on (hold down the eject button as you switch the machine on from behind) and the machine is running quieter and smoother than ever before.

I hope the above works for you, as it saved me having to fork out on a new machine.

I wonder if his boss would be happy with a Sony employee admitting this fact.

I doubt it

Thanks Ill try that. :D

How does taking the cover off the PS3 help you retrieve the disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Peadar_Rua

Zatoichi wrote: »
    How does taking the cover off the PS3 help you retrieve the disc?

The reason the disc wont eject is that the system is overheating, which is caused by the excess dust and fluff, when removed will allow the system to work, thus allowing the disc to eject.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

just got mine back yesterday ,i got the ylod 80 to fix by a crowd in tallaght ,
    mines the 60 gb .theres not a sound from it running so smootly and all previous data intact

The reason the disc wont eject is that the system is overheating, which is caused by the excess dust and fluff, when removed will allow the system to work, thus allowing the disc to eject.

I don't know how you can have so much dust and fluff inside your PS3. Do you leave it on the carpet or something? Mine is three years old and the inside was next to spotless. The only dust was on the air vents.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

just got mine back yesterday ,i got the ylod 80 to fix by a crowd in tallaght ,
    mines the 60 gb .theres not a sound from it running so smootly and all previous data intact[/QUOT

same thing happened to my mates system the other day. he rang a fella and he said it would cost 200 euro to fix. where did you get yours fixed mate???

http://www.consolerepaircentre.ie/contact.html

80 euro and a 3 month warrenty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

I offer 6 month warranties, best in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

I offer 6 month warranties, best in Ireland

how much do u charge to fix ylod and where are u based??

Marco85 wrote: »
    how much do u charge to fix ylod and where are u based??

They charge €75 to fix YLOD

http://www.consolepros.ie/posts/playstation-3-ylod-rlod-repair/

They are based in Dublin

says on the site a 10 euro postgage return will be added at the checkout ?

does this meant the will ad on 10 euro ? or am i taking it wrong

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

says on the site a 10 euro postgage return will be added at the checkout ?

does this meant the will ad on 10 euro ? or am i taking it wrong

They will add €10 if they are posting it back to you I presume.
    Drop and collect it yourself and you should only pay the repair price.

F1ngers wrote: »
    They will add €10 if they are posting it back to you I presume.
    Drop and collect it yourself and you should only pay the repair price.

Correct, but we will wave that to board members

Correct, but we will wave that to board members

good stuff so .

lets hope i dont get another yellow light .but if i do il be in touch :D

im so p***sed off now ,i got my ps3 fixed from this and a week later same thing happend,i brought it back and they cant fix it again he says the mother board wont take it .

any one shed any light ,is that it is it doomed

I think everybody should avoid the tallaght crowd, they are by the sounds of it just waving a heatgun around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

I think everybody should avoid the tallaght crowd, they are by the sounds of it just waving a heatgun around!
    ye was my thinking that too and now probably killed a ps3 cuz they watched a youtube video :mad::mad::mad::mad: lads bring it to the best in Ireland http://www.consolepros.ie/ END OF RANT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scano.ie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1zyAGwnuU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHgCa3XEPic

I copied these videos and worked a charm. To be honest its not that hard and really you dont have much too loose you can try it the cleaning solution and paste cost about 25e in pc world and the heat gun I got a lend of one but i'm sure you could rent on.

My view is that if you get it working you have saved 300e on buying a new one for the cost of an old pre-played game

best of luck

Advertisement