Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bags on the seats of trains at rush hour, rudeness?

Options
  • 13-04-2011 4:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭

This really pisses me off, I usually get a train from town or on the Maynooth line at rush hour and the amount of people with their bags or handbags on the seat next to them is truely irritating. Some people don't ask them to move the bag, but I bloody do... sheer arrogance. What do you think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I agree. Unless the bag has a ticket of its own ;), then I think you're perfectly entitled to ask someone to move their bag to allow you to sit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

I was once on a train with three seats next to each other, with an arm between each seat, with a woman on the seat on the far left and me on the far right with the middle one vacant, I put the arm of the chair up on the seat between me and the vacant middle seat as they were squashed in only for the woman to go mad that she was storing her luggage on this seat, and the arm had to remain down else it would smash.

Later on someone else got on and then asked to sit there and she said the seat was taken and that she is considerably richer than the guy who wanted to sit down and said he was welcome to sit on the floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

^ At this point I'd have picked up bag, placed it in the woman's lap and sat down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Later on someone else got on and then asked to sit there and she said the seat was taken and that she is considerably richer than the guy who wanted to sit down and said he was welcome to sit on the floor!

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Just ask. I often have 3 or 4 bags with me on the DART taking up room. I travel off-peak, and stack them to the left and right of me giving room for something to sit in front. If anyone wants to sit beside me, I've no issue in stacking them up high on my lap. I get your point about a handbag, but if people have large travel bags, just ask they, like myself will either move/stand or stack them on the lap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I find the whole bags on seats thing to be a classic case of a passive/aggressive approach, you're basically forcing people to ask you to move your stuff.

When I commuted from Portlaoise, I would target these people even if there were other easier seats to sit into, just to try and educate them. I failed at that but got some satisfaction from annoying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sit on the bag. "Sorry, eyesight is poor, just saw no-one was in the seat".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

irlrobins wrote: »
    ^ At this point I'd have picked up bag, placed it in the woman's lap and sat down.
    At that point, I'd have told her to f**k off if she didn't move it. I know because I've reacted that way to those forms of blatant ignorance before - which in fairness is usually displayed by a man instead of a woman though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

shamwari wrote: »
    At that point, I'd have told her to f**k off if she didn't move it. I know because I've reacted that way to those forms of blatant ignorance before - which in fairness is usually displayed by a man instead of a woman though.
    People being told they're too poor to sit on a seat occupied by someone's bag happens regularly? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

It can be even worse on Bus Éireann coaches (where legally speaking you're not meant to be standing anyway), have seen passengers forced to stand because someone decided against putting their suitcase in the luggage hold..... of course others decide to leave them across the aisles in everyone's path.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Breezer wrote: »
    People being told they're too poor to sit on a seat occupied by someone's bag happens regularly? :eek:
    Unfortunately, there has always been a disgusting and disgraceful disregard by some for the comfort and welfare of their fellow passengers. And I have no qualms in admitting thatI'm very intolerant of such a blatantly selfish minority. I takes nothing to give up your seat for someone who is elderly, disabled, pregnant or clearly ill, or for that matter, give up a seat to anyone who wants it at the expense of your baggage occupying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭xper

When I commuted from Portlaoise, I would target these people even if there were other easier seats to sit into, just to try and educate them. I failed at that but got some satisfaction from annoying them.
    Yep, have done this on Dublin Bus frequently. School kids in the morning rush hour tend to be mass, serial offenders. "Can you move your bag, please?" in a loud cheery voice pisses them off no end. :)
    Selfish feckers who sit on the aisle seat with the window seat vacant and the bus approaching filling nicely also get targetted.

I fail to understand how asking someone to move their bag gives you pleasure or satisfaction. It's just polite. If there is a bag, jacket or something on a seat, it's only polite to ask is that yours before taking the seat. No issue, just ask then sit.

I fail to understand how asking someone to move their bag gives you pleasure or satisfaction. It's just polite. If there is a bag, jacket or something on a seat, it's only polite to ask is that yours before taking the seat. No issue, just ask then sit.

you shouldn't have to ask, people should be considerate enough of others to leave seats free without spreading their belongings all over the shop. there's baggage space on the buses which is nearly always empty because numpties use their bags to keep 2 seats for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bullpost

I don't ask, merely say excuse me and head for the seat.
    I tend to target those that do this as well as I find it ignorant. Having said that the vast majority of people are fine and I've never had hassle getting one of these seats.

you shouldn't have to ask, people should be considerate enough of others to leave seats free without spreading their belongings all over the shop. there's baggage space on the buses which is nearly always empty because numpties use their bags to keep 2 seats for themselves.
    Would you feel save leaving a €2000 laptop and iPad in a baggage space. No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

xper wrote: »
    Yep, have done this on Dublin Bus frequently. School kids in the morning rush hour tend to be mass, serial offenders. "Can you move your bag, please?" in a loud cheery voice pisses them off no end. :)
    Selfish feckers who sit on the aisle seat with the window seat vacant and the bus approaching filling nicely also get targetted.

I feckin hate those people...they sit there and pretend to not see anybody getting on and tut and roll the eyes when they have to move..inconsiderate baxtards the lot of them. As if people want to sit beside their smelly sweaty arses out of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

It's the same with those people who sit on the outside seat (I'm talking about Bus Eireann here) while the inside seat is vacant. I always make sure to ask them to move as I like be on the widow side. But more often than not, they make a big deal about having to get up and let you in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Would you feel save leaving a €2000 laptop and iPad in a baggage space. No thanks.

Then put it on your lap not on another seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

then keep then on your lap. They don't get precedence over another commuter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

The answer to this riddle is in the name..

well, i wouldn't spend €2k on a laptop if it was soooo heavy that i couldn't have it on, you know, my lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Jeez, it's not that big a deal. "Excuse me, is someone sitting there" has always worked for me.

Not everyone leaves bags on the seats for nefarious reasons. It can be quite convenient to have your stuff within arms reach when you're travelling...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

shamwari wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there has always been a disgusting and disgraceful disregard by some for the comfort and welfare of their fellow passengers. And I have no qualms in admitting thatI'm very intolerant of such a blatantly selfish minority. I takes nothing to give up your seat for someone who is elderly, disabled, pregnant or clearly ill, or for that matter, give up a seat to anyone who wants it at the expense of your baggage occupying it.
    Yeah but specifically being told "you're too poor, sit on the floor"? That's just insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Surely this can be placed in the overhead storage on any coach or train?

It really annoys me to see people, mostly women, walking past empty luggage racks on trains and dragging massive wheeled suitcases down the aisles bumping them off every other passengers elbow only to realise they are unable to lift the monster cases up onto the parcel shelf. So they just leave them sitting in the aisle.

Those parcel shelves are just for small parcels briefcases etc not for a set of wheeled suitcases.

Or the inconsiderate numpties again mostly women who drag massive cases onto coaches knowing they will take up a seat as there is no luggage space inside coaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I was once on a train with three seats next to each other, with an arm between each seat, with a woman on the seat on the far left and me on the far right with the middle one vacant, I put the arm of the chair up on the seat between me and the vacant middle seat as they were squashed in only for the woman to go mad that she was storing her luggage on this seat, and the arm had to remain down else it would smash.

I'd have waited til the next stop, taken her bag, and thrown it out the door onto the platform, making sure it'd gone far enough that she wouldnt be able to retreive it and get back on the train before the doors close

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I have to say that sometimes I sit in the outside seat of the train.. but only when sitting at a table (on of the 4-seat ones) and there already is a person sitting inside opposite me.
    I do this so that I don't invade their space, and if I see that the train is filling up I simply move in - BEFORE being asked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

Not everyone is like you - some people are just selfish and would have a fellow passenger stand over "their" empty/with bag seat.

Like that case of the rich woman in SandyfordGuys post - I don't think I'd be responsible for what I'd have done with the bag in that circumstance.

For reference, when I'm traveling with valuable stuff such as an Mp3 player, mobile phone, extra cash etc, I keep it in a laptop case either on my lap, on the floor in my space, or on the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I regularly sit on the seat of my bus and leave my bag on the seat next to me, jeepers it is hardly a massive issue.. if someone badly wants to sit next to me, they can ask me to move it and I will :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

the title of the thread specificies Rush Hour when people are usually standing - in this case, if there are no seats it is just pure ignorant to have your bag taking up a seat. Your sh*t is not more important than a fellow commuter!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement