Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉNL Saorview-DTT Public Information

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Hey, sorry if this is off topic a bit.

I finally bought an aerial lead and auto searched for digital channels. It found 21....great says I.

However while all the channels appear on the "digital epg" menu only RTE1 actually appears. While browing the menu I can hear all the other channels but when I click on them it's just a blank screen.

Any ideas what's going on here?

(I managed to get all the Irish channels in analog too so I'm not that worried)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

jayteecork wrote: »
    Any ideas what's going on here?

Your TV is not compatible with the Irish DTT service, its probably has an MPEG-2 video decoder not the required MPEG-4 decoder (the Irish DTT video compression standard). You will require a compatible STB to receive the digital channels with that TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

Hey, sorry if this is off topic a bit.

I finally bought an aerial lead and auto searched for digital channels. It found 21....great says I.

However while all the channels appear on the "digital epg" menu only RTE1 actually appears. While browing the menu I can hear all the other channels but when I click on them it's just a blank screen.

You are able to view RTÉ1 in digital but not the others? That doesn't make any sense. What model of TV do you have?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

It's a Sony Bravia 32" - not sure what the model is. It's about 3 years old though.

It's a Sony Bravia 32" - not sure what the model is. It's about 3 years old though.

I have a 3 year old Sony, works OK with the digital channels. Model number should be on the front of the TV - KDL-32?????

• Advertisement

I attended a trade information meeting in Dublin for saorview this morning.
    We had a long chat with Mary Curtis,a lovely lady so I don't want to hear another bad word said :D
    Ray McGuire was also there as was Des who was very interesting,we spoke to him for ages,their tech head at RTENL.

I'll add more later or perhaps Scaller will,he spoke well ;)

Mary has promised to bring the ch45 mt leinster issue to the steering committee.
    I got the impression though it wasn't confirmed that all the hd channels will be moving to mux 2 which is likely to be ch 39 in mt leinsters case.They moving to mux 2 was confirmed,just not whether that would be ch39.
    If thats the case it will solve the presely vs mt leinster problem in wexford for the south east.
    Mux one they said was for other channels like the film channel and oireactas tv and RTE1+1 etc.
    If welsh aerial people in the south east are left without them to be honest I doubt there will be too much crying.

Also another important bit of information...Most tx's apart from cairn hill are not on full power at the moment.
    Cairn hill is currently on it's max power for DTT as they are testing equipment in the Republic and NI.
    All other transmitters except those with NI overspill will be going full power from saorviews official launch date [may 6th ?] which in most cases will mean a 6db increase in received signal.
    That increase includes all the non border area in fill sites such as Arklow,Gorey,Suir valley etc.
    So expect an improvement in reception there in fringe areas.

On the downside,upping ch45 mt leinster is surely going to cause problems in Wales.
    They actually agreed it would but that this was comreg/ofcom's fault not theirs,they can only do what they are instructed to do and are strictly regulated.

There was a lot of discussion on cowboy operators,which I'm sure Scaller will detail if he's around.
    In a nutshell nothing can really be done about them.
    However traders/installers will be able to register on the saorview site and it looks like a condition of this will be that they are tax cleared,have the relevant insurances necessary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Sorry a Trade thing any public meeting happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I was told by RTENL in the last month that Cairn Hill and Three Rock will have only slight power increases between now and ASO. Did they say that Three Rock and Kippure will enjoy a power increase of 6dB in May?

It's good to hear that they are listening to the big problems with Ch. 45 in the southeast. If only ComReg and Ofcom were more competent...

I didn't get round to that question even in an indepth conversation.
    They said all txes except those with overspill to the border.
    I'd imagine that would include Kippure,Truskmore,perhaps cairn hill [meaning a lowering for there after the current testing?] and holy well hill and clermont plus border relays.
    Power increase is definite at Mt leinster [they weren't too sure of the erp at mt leinster but we eventually got them to say about 100kw]

They are testing saorSAT at the moment they said, but could offer no information on it or wheter it would work even.It's all that new to them.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I attended a trade information meeting in Dublin for saorview this morning.

I'll add more later or perhaps Scaller will,he spoke well ;)

There was a lot of discussion on cowboy operators,which I'm sure Scaller will detail if he's around.
    In a nutshell nothing can really be done about them.
    However traders/installers will be able to register on the saorview site and it looks like a condition of this will be that they are tax cleared,have the relevant insurances necessary etc.

Thanks for the Kind words BB. And as Des pointed out you are very lucky with your setup {Fair Play to you Mylie and Myles}. The Saorview Seminar was held today in the Louis Fitzgerald Hotel in Dublin. There was a very large attendance from Both Retailers and Aerial Installers I was lucky to be representing both.
    Lot's of familiar faces from the South east attended. A lot of good points and questions were asked today. I did highlight the Issues with Cowboy and Crash course installers. Ray Maguire and Mary Curtis did know before the seminar started that I was going to raise the subject. She said to me that the seminar in Cork was all about these Cowboys. The conditions are that certified Saorview Installers and Retailers will have to produce Tax,
    Pl Insurance, and Garda checks to be recognised by Saorview. We all know that it is not going to stop these guys fitting non Saorview equipment but unlike cheap Satellite systems it will make it hard for them. One point that i was happy about was that Des did explain that these non certified mpeg4 Boxes wont be able to receive OTA updates.
    On the topic of Saorsat it is not certain whether this system will work or not as Des said this only at trial at the moment he didn't seem to want to talk about it.

• Advertisement

scaller wrote: »
    On the topic of Saorsat it is not certain whether this system will work or not as Des said this only at trial at the moment he didn't seem to want to talk about it.

Did they mention when trials started? When was it first suggested?

No. And Des said that at the moment he is not going to discuss saorsat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Sounds like they may be hitting snags, maybe?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They did not want to talk about Saorview, even before they knew it as Saorview.

Sounds like they may be hitting snags, maybe?

He wasn't very forthcoming on the subject of Saorsat.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Did they say if there are any other parties interested in launching on Saorview free to air on mux 2 on launch date? I wouldn't expect them to mention any names at this stage but maybe say if their is or isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

He wasn't very forthcoming on the subject of Saorsat.

I would read into that, that Saorsat may very well be long-fingered:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

I would read into that, that Saorsat may very well be long-fingered:(

Hard to say. They haven't been forthcoming with information on Saorsat since the original presentation to the Oireachtas Committee e.g.
    Tony wrote: »
    What RTE NL are saying publicly is that they have no idea what the plan is . I agree its strange but I can only go by what i've been told . Why mention KA band at all in that case? What definitely does not scan is that one guy in RTE NL was happy to talk to me one day and then clammed up the next. If you think about it the satellite service could in theory be used to replace transmitters which could affect jobs so perhaps that has something to do with it. Just so you know the people who answer the phones in RTE NL are technicians so they should know what satellite they plan to use regardless as to whether it has been successfully launched or not.

I'd also not read anything into it yet,it's something very new to them.
    I doubt RTENL have had to do much in terms of satellite heretofore.
    Certainly not dth anyhow.

The service goes official from may 11th.
    Lucy Campbell was the other lady there and very articulate on their marketing strategy.
    They will be getting round to as many regional events as possible,like the ploughing,tall ships etc.

As regards other channels on saorview,Mary [yeah we're on first name terms now :p] made the point that the consultative process recently was too short really which I took to mean that there wasn't a whole lot of interest.I didn't ask directly though as by this stage we were hogging everybody a bit too much I thought.
    Ray and Des did say RTE themselves were paying for carriage in NI and that this would be DVBT2.Despite the MOA there were no plans to put uk channels on and there was a question of how they were to be paid for.

Ray and Des did say RTE themselves were paying for carriage in NI and that this would be DVBT2.

The not-for-profit joint venture company that has to be established by RTÉ and TG4 to apply for the Ofcom licence and run the multiplex. As both organisations are funded from the public purse and licence fee we'll all pay for it.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    The not-for-profit joint venture company that has to be established by RTÉ and TG4 to apply for the Ofcom licence and run the multiplex. As both organisations are funded from the public purse and licence fee we'll all pay for it.

This company should be used to role out an International Irish Channel.

Elmo wrote: »
    This company should be used to role out an International Irish Channel.

That company is only required for the RTÉ/TG4 multiplex in NI. The RTÉ International channel is RTÉ only and doesn't require a separate company, what it requires is funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The service goes official from may 11th.

Black Briar, can you just confirm that May 11th is the official launch date ? as May 6th was mentioned in an earlier post. Thanks for bringing us news from the meeting, it's nice to get info from the "horses mouth" and not just speculation.

The service goes offical from May 11th 2011. It was also mentioned that there will be Disruption from time to time on the Saorview service over the summer months and that the public will be informed about the disruptions. I am quite surprised that not many more boards members were at the the Seminar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The service goes offical from May 11th 2011. It was also mentioned that there will be Disruption from time to time on the Saorview service over the summer months and that the public will be informed about the disruptions. I am quite surprised that not many more boards members were at the the Seminar.

Thanks Scaller. It's good to have an official launch date. I don't suppose we'll see any difference between May 10th and May 11th, other than improved reception in fringe areas due to transmitter power increasing. One last question, any mention of Rte1+1 and the RTE Childrens channels going on air on or before launch date and when we might expect true HD transmissions on RTE2 ?

That company is only required for the RTÉ/TG4 multiplex in NI. The RTÉ International channel is RTÉ only and doesn't require a separate company, what it requires is funding.

And you don't think that the company that will use the multiplex in NI shouldn't provide other services. Surely programming from both TG4 and RTÉ would suit an international channel (perhaps even buy some TV3 content)! Just a thought.

It's offical Spring is starts May 11th 2011 :rolleyes: and it looks like the trial goes on until sept unoffically :rolleyes: Galtee Boy raises an unfortunate question I would have just assumed that RTÉ 1+1 and RTÉjr begin on 11th May 2011!

And you don't think that the company that will use the multiplex in NI shouldn't provide other services. Surely programming from both TG4 and RTÉ would suit an international channel (perhaps even buy some TV3 content)! Just a thought.

The joint venture company is a requirement of the agreement between the Governments for the multiplex in NI and will provide whatever services they decide on and Ofcom licence. But as you are aware the NI mini-mux is a low capacity one so the number of service it will carry will be limited. With this mux and overspill from here, RTÉ International isn't required in NI anyway.

RTÉ International was to be operated from within RTÉ, it doesn't require a separate company to run it. The only problem is lack of funding for the channel, having it run by the new joint venture company won't make any difference as the money has to come from the same pot anyway.

RTÉ International was to be operated from within RTÉ, it doesn't require a separate company to run it. The only problem is lack of funding for the channel, having it run by the new joint venture company won't make any difference as the money has to come from the same pot anyway.

Why does "RTÉ" International have to be operated from within RTÉ? Why not have it as an Irish Channel operated by the 2 PSBs with a partnership with the Commerical Broadcasters? The joint venture for the NI mini-mux could and IMO should run an international satellite channel with programming from each of the Irish Channels. Rather then just having dip into RTÉ's ever depleting pot of public funds.

The joint venture for the NI mini-mux could and IMO should run an international satellite channel with programming from each of the Irish Channels. Rather then just having dip into RTÉ's ever depleting pot of public funds.

Where do you think the money for the joint venture company is coming from? Its all coming from the same pot i.e. RTÉ (licence fee/advertising) and TG4 (licence fee/government funds/advertising).

Funding for RTÉ International was to be from RTÉ (licence fee/advertising).

• Advertisement

Where do you think the money for the joint venture company is coming from? Its all coming from the same pot i.e. RTÉ (licence fee/advertising) and TG4 (licence fee/government funds/advertising).

Funding for RTÉ International was to be from RTÉ (licence fee/advertising).

As money is being made available for the NI muxes RTÉ/TG4 should take this opportunity to expand their content to other areas, through joint funding the project for an International Channel along side their NI transmissions, I assume such a "not for profit company" could make some returns for joined up thinking on the issue of an International Channel and NI deployment.

Advertisement