Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGonagles gigs

Options
  • 04-10-2006 5:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody remember the sunday gigs in mcgonagles?There allways seemed to be multiple band mashes and it was about 1.50 to get in,with hordes of us seventeen-year olds drinking in the laneway before kick off.In no particular order here are some of the bands i remember seeing:Paranoid Visions,Hellbastard,Ripcord,Pink Turds In Space,Trojan..and millions more i cant remember..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I only gig I ever saw was on a Friday night and didnt even know it was on.

It was The Stone Roses:eek:

Considering everyone was expecting a heavy metal night,suffice to say they didnt go down too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I remember seeing The Frames there one Sunday back in the day.

It was 50 pence to get in but as great gig nonetheless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Degsy wrote:
    Does anybody remember the sunday gigs in mcgonagles?There allways seemed to be multiple band mashes and it was about 1.50 to get in,with hordes of us seventeen-year olds drinking in the laneway before kick off.In no particular order here are some of the bands i remember seeing:Paranoid Visions,Hellbastard,Ripcord,Pink Turds In Space,Trojan..and millions more i cant remember..

aye plus I also remember some punks mugging me after a Friday night session in there - bastards!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember going there once to see Death + Loudblast play many years ago, was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I remember some rare oul' nights in McGonagles. It was quite a good gig venue in its day.

What is there now? I haven't been to Dublin in about 8 years but the last time I was there it was some cheesy dance club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I saw two gigs in that place.....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the early 90's. Paradise Lost(can't remember who supported 'em), and Morbid Angel/Unleashed in December '91.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

One of the fist gigs I ever went to was Xentrix at McGonagles...xmas 1990. Saw them again a few months later.

In fact one I saw Saxon there in 1991. There were 52 people at the show, the drummer threw his sticks out at the end & missed the crowd.... :D

As for what's there now, well it's probably apartments... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

where was this place located???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I saw two gigs in that place.....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the early 90's.

Some many a band there over the years (WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the 80s :)). Best was probably when Ozzy played there (89 I think) - he had this new guitarist that was replacing Randy Rhoads. We went there to see who this upstart could be, but left seriously impressed by mr Wylde. The place was so small so the band were only a foot or so away from the crowd - cool!

If I remember rightly it was just off Grafton street down near Dawson street.
    i dont think I ever went there sober so I'm not so sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

gline wrote:
    where was this place located???
    South Annes Street iirc?

Gawd, I almost remember many a drunken night in that place,..... the 1.5 litre bottles of cheap table wine they used to sell cheap enough for all us 16 year olds to buy he he,...... the little alcove area beside the bar..........
    Bands,......sheesh......I remember the virgin prunes.......and aidan walsh (shudder)........ ;)

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

Carcass, electro hippies and bolt thrower played the sunday gigs(not at the same time)

saw loads of great bands there, was my favourite venue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 eric the head

i was at Ozzy as well. i think it was jan/feb 91 though. great show. i also seen X-entrix, DRI and Acid Reign ! all amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

deswalsh wrote:
    Some many a band there over the years (WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the 80s :)). Best was probably when Ozzy played there (89 I think) - he had this new guitarist that was replacing Randy Rhoads. We went there to see who this upstart could be, but left seriously impressed by mr Wylde. The place was so small so the band were only a foot or so away from the crowd - cool!

If anyones interested, yeah ozzy did play there, It was billed as a "Live Rehearsal" for his uk tour. Here's a pic of the ticket http://www.dimeadozen.org/attachments/120370/1437916/Ozzy%20dublin%20jan11%2091%20front.jpg The gigs up on dimeadozen for download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭thebourke

was only there for one gig..def leppard in april 1992 a few days before they played freddie mercury tribute gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

deswalsh wrote:

must say over the years this is the best gig i've ever been to, the guy had the best stage presence, at the time i couldnt believe that this guy was playing a stage so small syt still chucking buckets of water on teh crowd, was zakk wylde not replacing jake e lee?? mike inez on bass too was cool

outside after the whole lot of em came out got my ticket signed by zakk and a drumstick by randy castillo RIP

ozzy wasnt signing autographs he had a young jack on his shoulders and sharon pushing him off to their hotel, no limos for them those days they walked to that one, whose name escapes me at the moment, just beyond bruxelles, i suppose it was only 100 yards or so!!

other than that i remember deicide and the dogs d'amour as being two pretty good gigs in the place, my indie music loving pals used always bring me in there for the "panic" i think dj sets i think which were more of a haze than anything else but still enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I saw two gigs in that place.....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the early 90's. Paradise Lost(can't remember who supported 'em), and Morbid Angel/Unleashed in December '91.

Was at both of those gigs as well. I don't think anybody supported Paradise Lost at that one (just had a bit of a mosh set going). I remember that Unleashed went down really well at that gig. Went out and bought their CD after it. Pity it was rubbish.

Also saw Xentrix, Death and Carcass there. Carcass was probably the best gig I ever went to. Ahh the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Gonzo wrote: »
    I remember going there once to see Death + Loudblast play many years ago, was great.

you mean Death + Pestillence ?? :p
    but Pestillence couldn't get into the country, excuse at the time was some issue with customs.....................and they brought Loudblast over anyway as support.....
    I remember the crowd was getting seriously pissed off out front because the doors weren't opening and it was getting a bit dodgy.........good gig all the same....

great spot for a gig....
    first gig I really went to was in there KillerWatt with Panic and Aftershock (there were a couple of bands called Aftershock knockin around if memory servers me correctly).....

regret missing some gigs in there, like Ozzy - did he play 2 nights that time, and Onslaught too.....they were supposed to be on lethal form.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

seen suicidal tendancies there back in the day. great little venue so it was:D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

i used to run some of the sunday gigs there way back.. predator etc with grover....great fun
    i also used to work the door some friday nights for the tom hayes disco..
    god the memories....
    club alcoholica in bruxelles.....
    god its like a dream haha..
    .....being 40 ish isnt all its cracked up to be:-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭remo2

Ahh yeh also seen SABBAT there twice. B-) f'kin deadly live. And last but not least the TOPHAT. Haha remember that place?:-D seen a heap of metal bands there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

best gigs i ever saw in the tophat was faith no more..
    have vague recollection of getting kicked out of a europe gig off dorset street somewhere for trying to crowd surf..drunk as a skunk lol:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Neil71

Hi I actually promoted that massacre gig- nice guys great crowd
    I also ran the ICE security team that used to let everybody stage dive in -
    mcgonagles- CLASS DAYS!!
    Loved every minute , also promoted bolt thrower , carcass and the mighty DEATH!
    Anybody know where tommy Hayes is??
    Great guyv- owe him for a lot of help He gave me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement