Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Obama to visit Galway?

Options
  • 21-03-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

While I don't hold out much hope, it would be amazing, from galwaynews.ie:

INTENSIVE LAST DITCH LOBBYING TO BRING US PRESIDENT TO GALWAY

March 21, 2011 - 1:18pm
    Intensive last ditch lobbying is underway to bring US President Barack Obama as far as Galway next May.
    The Mayor of Galway Cllr Michael Crowe is spear-heading the campaign and is backed by the Galway Chamber of Commerce CEO Michael Coyle.
    The President's schedulers will make their decision later today on whether or not he comes to Galway during his trip to Ireland.
    President Obama is already expected to visit his ancestral home in Moneygall, County Offaly, Kilkenny, Mayo and Dublin during the two day trip on May 22nd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

**** load of places for 2 day trip, doubt he will come to galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why would it be amazing?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Big thanks due to FG Cllr. Padraig Conneely for arranging this visit during his time as Mayor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Newbie_2009

the traffic would be horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

yeehaw wrote: »
    Big thanks due to FG Cllr. Padraig Conneely for arranging this visit during his time as Mayor.
    Good one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He can come see our presidential park Ey.. ah I mean Kennedy park.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I hope he doesn't make it here.... No interest in him visiting and the hasstle of it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I hope he doesn't make it here.... No interest in him visiting and the hasstle of it all...

'Twould be a nice bit of much-needed cash for Galway with all the tourists though. I can see Gerry Devanney selling one or two American flags!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

President Obama is already expected to visit his ancestral home in Moneygall, County Offaly, Kilkenny, Mayo and Dublin during the two day trip on May 22nd.

WTF :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Lapin wrote: »

Tis where his irish counterpart is from.

So this means that hotels will likely hike up their prices when he does visit, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So this means that hotels will likely hike up their prices when he does visit, eh?
    Everyone will be at it. I heard the Galway advertiser will be €2 that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's time to introduce the out of towner tax and the leaving town tax before he gets here.

Don't really care if he makes it to Galway, would spin up to Mayo anyway. I voted for him so the least he could do is tell me one of the state secrets...like Area 51

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Lapin wrote: »

I dont know what your problem there. He wouldn't be the first president to visit mayo - ronald reagan stayed in ashford castle. he said he wants to see the sights of ireland anyway - dont think he will just visit cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

soundbyte wrote: »
    'Twould be a nice bit of much-needed cash for Galway with all the tourists though. I can see Gerry Devanney selling one or two American flags!

Ya sure we might get a few visitors from the countryside lol... Seriously though, my thoughts are a bit selfish maybe, but I don't want even more traffic problems and I don't like the thoughts of my taxes paying in part for his visit which I have no interest in at all... Also I hope local businesses won't hike up prices for the visit. I don't think they will, but I would be disgusted if they did...
    If you are a fan of his, hope you enjoy it though, just not for me... My God, I sound like an awful killjoy lol... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Galway advertiser on facebook said a few other famous figures who came to galway got killed not long after, the pope, a previous american president and someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Poor Obama said he wanted to see the 'major tourist sights' ... and now they are bringing him to Mayo??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

celty wrote: »
    Poor Obama said he wanted to see the 'major tourist sights' ... and now they are bringing him to Mayo??!

Mayo is a quite a popular tourist county. Its not full of its own s hite either unlike the puke laden streets of Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

He'll be in Cork to unveil the Frederick Douglass statue. And i heard there going to bring him to a bog in Clara to show him how to wall some turf.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

The only reason he is coming to Mayo is because Enda is from here, not much for him to see or do and I doubt il be meeting him and the lads half way up the Reek on an early Sunday morning

yew_tree wrote: »
    I dont know what your problem there. He wouldn't be the first president to visit mayo - ronald reagan stayed in ashford castle. he said he wants to see the sights of ireland anyway - dont think he will just visit cities.

Ashford Castle is in Co Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Ashford Castle is in Cong, County Mayo

Cong is the nearest town and therefore people regularly confuse the castle with being in the same county as the town.

The truth is, Ashford Castle is over the border in Co Galway.

The golf course on the right of the image attached below is in Mayo, but once you cross the bridge you are in Galway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ashford Castle is the west of Ireland equivalent to Baarle Nassau and Baarle Hertog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I could be wrong but I reckon:
    The Castle itself is on the Galway side but main entrance from the road is from the Mayo side.
    If you go up the bit of a river in a boat from Lough Corrib; Mayo is on the right & Galway is on the left.

[I don't think its classed as a river but locals should know what I mean]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

sgthighway wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I reckon:
    The Castle itself is on the Galway side but main entrance from the road is from the Mayo side.
    If you go up the bit of a river in a boat from Lough Corrib; Mayo is on the right & Galway is on the left.

[I don't think its classed as a river but locals should know what I mean]

You're right! Discussing it over a pint of Guinness in the Ardilaun would give it a nice bit of historical context ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I remember well when Reagan visited, boats on
    lough Corrib were searched by the Secret Service and it was rumoured that nets were laid in the water in front of Ashford to stop any chance of divers swimming in. Great excitement all around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Don't forget the Gardaí on Inchagoill. The Secret Service would fly over them and instruct them to put out the fires that they had lit to keep warm.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Lads yer showing ye age! I'd say there's a good chance he'll stay in ashford alright, they can have the queen all to themselves over in the pale when she comes! We'll take Obama in the west

Advertisement