Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card making

Options
  • 23-11-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Just wondering if anyone else out there makes handmade cards?
    I started to do it to fill my days when I couldn't find a job, then got to the stage where I sold to friends & family & now I have my cards sold at three different shops :)
    I buy alot of my bits on ebay for cheapness sake, but often pop into the Art&Hobby shop too if they have something I simply MUST have!
    I thought it might be fun to discuss card ideas, shapes, themes, etc here, maybe post a couple pics of your work?

~Katie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lollie22

Hi Katie,

Cardmaking & Scrapbooking is HUGE in Ireland. There are many online stores that are fab www.craftyangels.ie is one of them.

There is also a Craft Weekend Event being held in Co Laios on the 5th & 6th of February.

Check www.crafts4u-event.blogspot.com for more details

Hugs
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 1 behere3

I would love to talk to you about making cards. I sell to my family and friends as well. I go to the art and hobby shop and inspring ideas. I have got stuff and ebay as well as belfast

You can mail me anytime, its (take to pm - no private emails in posts please!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KatieEgg

Thanks guys :)
    Anyone got any pics of their cards? :)

Hi Katie,

If you have a look here there is pictures.

Hugs
    Laura

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

easycraft.com its a thiland company but i just to buy from them all the time, very cheap and good quaility... i used to spend a fortune crafting, its soo addictive, lost all my stuff in a fire and dont have the space to do it now (in a mobile home) cant wait to get stuck into it again, sold lots to friends and family, i used to peronalise the cards with names ect... its the most relaxing and rewarding hobby ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

I love making cards - just don't get enough time to them as much as I would like - you can see some HERE http://www.boxercreations.blogspot.com
    do you have a gallery?:)

Eeep, feeling inadequate all of a sudden here! My stuff isn't haf as nice as some!
    *Hides in shame*

~Katie

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Reef

Hi Katie, Cork art supplies have an online card making and scrapbooking stop: www.cardznscrapz.com - wide range of products at very good prices. Good luck with it all :D

Thanks, will add t the list :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I love making cards - just don't get enough time to them as much as I would like - you can see some HERE http://www.boxercreations.blogspot.com
    do you have a gallery?:)

Hi having just looked at your blog I must say your cards are fantastic. I make a few myself nothing in your league though. I was wondering if you tell me where you got the ' card craft folding board' from, Id really like to get one, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

KatieEgg I've just popped in here and saw what you started!! I find it terrifying when I see what gorgeous things other crafters make.

I buy most stuff on Ebay but if I can pick something up quickly in Inspiring Ideas, or Art n Hobby then I use them. I also buy from An Siopa Bui in Galway. Very helpful crafters there. If you buy anything heavy from Easycraft the postage from Thailand is high but might be worth it for the cheap prices.

Also, www.madaboutcards.co.uk have lots of special offers so check them out. Or just Google whatever it is you want and you will find tons of sites that way. My best advice.....start, or join a cardmaking group. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

I make some formy friends/ family at christmas.. the main problem is finding the time to do it when I work fulltime :( i do mainly wildlife themed cards.

Hi snorlax. I'm curious, how do you make your cards, are they painted, or photographed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 irishcailin

Hi Katie

Yeah, I've started making cards recently although for years I loved doing things like that.

I do head for the art & hobby shop in drogheda myself, some really nice things although you can go over board.

So, if you'd like to natter about card making send me a reply

Sinead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Annierose

Hi Sinead/Katie,

I'm also in Drogheda and love cardmaking and scrapbooking. If you're interested in getting a crafting/cardmaking group together send me a pm. There's nowhere locally to get together with crafters so it'd be great to get something up and runnng.

Annamarie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Hiya ladies,

I'm in Balbriggan and would be interested in attending a card making group if one was to be organised in Drogheda. I've recently gotten into it and am pretty much obsessed at this point- looking for inspiration anywhere I can get it :)

Absolutely! I think a group in the area would be a fantastic idea!
    Maybe we ought to make an announcement on the Louth forum? See if we can't find a few more crafters?

(PS, I know I'm awful at answering threads here, I ahven't internet in my gaff anymore so just nip down to the internet cafe when I can)

~Katie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Just a suggestion - create a blog where you can upload pics of what you have done - the Dublin Sketchers is run that way and it's great as everyone can contribute their work and people can comment/discuss. Also, gumtree is great for letting people know about a group! Check out the DublinSketchers blog if you like for ideas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sabrina bowden

hi i also began card making as a hobby to fill my days but now am trying to turn it into a business would love to hear from you

SNIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Contact via PM - no email or personal contact details in thread please!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭briscotti

Aw yay! Some deadly work up here!! Nice seeing other peoples stuff :)

I print some cards with various methods, have so far tried silkscreening, stamping,cutting and lino print so far, and I was fairly happy with the results! I find it really enjoyable.. I did find it hard to buy small sized cards and envelopes in Ireland though so I had to go to Ebay. Just saw the link to a supplier on this thread so am going to check that out now! Thanks.

Ps. Snorlax, would love to see some of yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cardartkilcoole

Hi Everyone
    There is a Card Making all day workshop coming up on Saturday the 12th of March 2011 in the Parkview Hotel Newtown Mount Kennedy Co Wicklow. You can find full details Here http://cardarteventskilcoole.blogspot.com/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i make all my own cards - was wondering about selling them at craft markets but is there much demand?

also i havent got a clue about where to start selling them?

Hi Irishbird. I've tried selling cards and calendars at boot sales, craft fairs, fundraisers etc, and although people and friends really wanted them they kept trying to beat me down on price. I was charging €2.50 - €3.00 which although didn't pay me for my time, would have covered the materials. All the embellishments, ribbons, etc., were bought new, nothing was recycled from old cards, but they still wanted bargain basement prices. I hope your experience is better than mine, I was disappointed that so many don't value handmade items. Even friends who knit or crochet said the same - the UK and USA do value handmade and some folk here on boards.ie have suggested Ebay or Etsy type sites to sell your crafts. Hope you do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Yep, like JellyBaby says, it's hard to get a good price for the cards. I think part of the problem is that so many people now make cards themselves, and a lot of them sell for charity and only ask for 1 or 2 Euro per card as they're not concerned about making a profit.
    Even getting enough to cover the cost of materials is difficult!
    You might be able to charge more for special occasions such as Christening, weddings, etc. where the card is likely to be kept as a memento of the day.
    But above all, you need to love what you're doing. :D

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bubso14

Hi all,

I would love to start up card making as a hobby but I havent a clue where to start. I know there are loads of cool things available on craft websites, ebay etc.
    I was just wondering, can anyone give me the basics i need to kick off this hobby, what are the essential things i would need?

Thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

bubso14 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I would love to start up card making as a hobby but I havent a clue where to start. I know there are loads of cool things available on craft websites, ebay etc.
    I was just wondering, can anyone give me the basics i need to kick off this hobby, what are the essential things i would need?

Thx!

Hi bubso

The absolute essentials would be something to cut your card and something to stick it! So that could be scissors or craft knife or paper trimmer (guillotine). Double-sided tape is the best overall adhesive because liquid glue would soak into your card and wrinkle it (unless you use a very thick glue) and Pritt stick doesn't always work on very glossy or glittery card. But you will probably need a couple of different kinds of glue for different jobs. For example, a glue pen is great for adding a delicate hint of glitter around the edges of things.

After that, it really depends on your taste (simple, embellished, etc) and how much time you want to spend on your cards. Are you interested in rubber stamping, for example, or would you like to use CDs to print out designs? Do you want to do 3d effects, in which case you'll need silicone glue or foam pads.

There are various tools for helping score your card evenly (makes the folds neater) and you might need a good ruler and pencil for marking out more intricate shapes. If you're using a craft knife to cut, get a ruler with a metal edge so that the knife doesn't cut through the ruler! You can also get the score tools and cutting tools that do wavy lines or different shapes.
    There's all kinds of pens and markers, ready-made embellishments or paper punches to make your own, and on and on!

You might like to start with a kit that includes cards & envelopes, embellishments and instructions, as that will give you a feel for different techniques.

Best of luck
    TB

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bubso14

Thanks a mill TB! Ordered a load of things on ebay! Cant wait to get started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are in Tramore in County Waterford any time, Cahills (halfway up the Main Street hill) do a good range of embellishments and trims at very good prices.

Advertisement