Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It is now only a matter of time before NATO go into Libya

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 fudgie101

Gadaffi has a small willy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

fudgie101 wrote: »
    Gadaffi has a small willy

and lots of oil, which is why the yanks want to go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Damn! I was hoping Tony Blair's charming english gentleman's wit would win them over in his role as UN Middle East Envoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

MidlandsM wrote: »
    and lots of oil, which is why the yanks want to go in.

They will be protecting their interest obviously, but so will every other country that gets oil from there

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bykobap

Whats the price of the pint of lager / litre of petrol in Libya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Military action is inevitable at this point.

Bit of a leap there no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 fudgie101

Gadaffi uses his oil on small willy!

Just to add.... NO COUNTRY goes to war unless there is something in it for them, not even just to help the locals from being slaughtered... that is the harsh reallity

Bit of a leap there no?

trust me, its on its way :eek:

• Advertisement

To enforce the proposed no-fly zone, military strikes are necessary to wipe out air defence assets in Libya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

In fairness, the guy is bombing his own people. This needs to stop, if all the correct legal steps are taken then I certainly will support action been taken.

Anyone with any intelligence knows the war in iraq was over oil and was an illegal war at that.

But this is a totally different situation. Personally I want to see more action from the European powers. The UK is doing a lot of talk alright but they actually lack aircraft carriers at the moment, this is where other european powers should come into play.

Would also like to see some arab countries working together with the west on this. This needs to be a united effort to stop gaddafi's slaughter of his own people.

Lastly , military action should only take place is its going to lead to LESS life loss compared to waiting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Can't see Gadaffi duck out of this one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

Just to add.... NO COUNTRY goes to war unless there is something in it for them, not even just to help the locals from being slaughtered... that is the harsh reallity

What was the benefit from Yugoslavia?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Didn't Cameron want to send in troops, but the French and Americans disagreed, so he changed his mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

They will be protecting their interest obviously, but so will every other country that gets oil from there

I believe that Ireland gets a very large chunk of it's petrol from Libya.

I believe that Ireland gets a very large chunk of it's petrol from Libya.

Yeh but we are "neutral" ;)

That was the UN....

Sisko wrote: »
    Anyone with any intelligence knows the war in iraq was over oil and was an illegal war at that.

The Iraq was not over oil. If it was over oil then why did Bush Snr and Cheeney stop short in 1991? I'm afraid it was because they genuinely believed that Sadaam Hussein had WMD (largely because they supplied them to him during the Iran-Iraq war) and received misleading intelligence from the Israeli's that Sadaam was planning to use WMD on America. War is not in the oil companies interests suprisingly because it reminds governments of the need to wean themselves off the product and to stop relying on middle-east oil in particular as it exposes them to weakness. The oil companies were likely very aware that the Iraq war could have been a failure and that they might have lost any contracts they had with Sadaam and they would not want to jeaprodize this considering how many hundreds of billions there is to be lost. The new Iraqi government kept the same deals with the oil companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Dammit, if only Libya had loaned us those billions, we wouldn't have to pay them back.

• Advertisement

That was the UN....

Is the UN not made up of countries?

Is the UN not made up of countries?

It has a different agenda, and fails at it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

That was the UN....

Were those UN planes that bombed Belgrade during the Kosovo crisis?

Lirange wrote: »
    Were those UN planes that bombed Belgrade during the Kosovo crisis?

no, that was NATO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeh but we are "neutral" ;)

I know you said that in jest.

I hate when people use that line like it's actually true. It's not. A neutral country is one that has the ability to fully defend all it's airspace, sea lanes and land mass from any major force of action for a basic start.

We do not have this ability at all. We are politically neutral and that's about it, we will say yes to whoever is shaking the biggest stick around us at the time.

Switzerland, a real neutral country does have the capability of fully defending it's airspace and land mass from hostel intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

I don't think the US will go storming in, the whole political landscape is changing in the Middle East and no-one really knows which way it's gonna turn out. If the US charge in they will only further damage their reputation in the eyes of these new governments which are forming/yet to be formed. I'd say they'll push for NATO.

Having said that though, if NATO go in too soon they may end up separating two warring factions, and we all know that could be protracted for years (just like Norn Iron!). They may be pragmatic and let the uprising sort itself out and then offer aid. Not the most ethical thing to do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Switzerland, a real neutral country does have the capability of fully defending it's airspace and land mass from hostel intent.
    Those Swiss and their luxury accommodation...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It has a different agenda, and fails at it

Of course it's the permanent members on the UN Security Council that runs the UN. They dictate according to the agenda that suits them. This privileged club has undermined the UN since it's inception, through their little power plays and vetoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

US got airbases, iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭el oh el

by supporting kosovo the US proved to the world they werent anti-muslim? at least thats what some kosovoan tried to explain to me in broken german, didnt quite get the whole thing...

Advertisement