Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTT/SAT Combo's with AAC audio

Options
  • 22-02-2011 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Of the current combo's boxes on the market (sub 200 euro) which support AAC audio ? I'm looking a getting a cheap combo for a friend, EPG and MHEG5 is not important to them but should RTE switch to AAC audio which of the current Combo STB can handle AAC audio and what's the cheapest available at the moment ... the Edision Argus Mini 2 in 1 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

MHEG5 is important. It's not just Text.

RTE don't seem in any rush to do AAC, but I may have misunderstood.

There are no good Combos that are actually properly compatible yet. Wait till end of May 2011 when service launches and maybe Saorsat available in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Of the current combo's boxes on the market (sub 200 euro) which support AAC audio ? I'm looking a getting a cheap combo for a friend, EPG and MHEG5 is not important to them but should RTE switch to AAC audio which of the current Combo STB can handle AAC audio and what's the cheapest available at the moment ... the Edision Argus Mini 2 in 1 ?

Clever. Forward thinking.

Its not just AAC.

1. E-AC3 aka Ac3+
    2. HE-AAC aka AAC+ (likely - hand in hand with HD)
    3. MPEG

Ceryon 5700 HD Combo - 170
    Triax ST-HD 527CI - 179
    Clarke Tech 5100C - 200

I hope MHEG5 is as big as Watty thinks it will be! I have my reservations...

Limitations are harware not software.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Also Ferguson Ariva HD Combo

Confirmed working in Israel with HE-AAC

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70347863&postcount=197

Your right to be concerned, MHEG-5 would be nice, but audio is a necessity.

I posted the other night about a radio channel on 4.8e using AAC. If you could demo a combo box with a motorised dish, you could see/hear if it plays the audio.

Also vu+duo (tested myself on the radio channel)

STB wrote: »
    I hope MHEG5 is as big as Watty thinks it will be! I have my reservations...
    I'm only echoing what RTE is saying.

I thought Series Link might need it, but while they do plan an MHEG5 EPG, the actual PVR series link is according to Nordig spec.

RTE's spec is Nordig + UK MHEG5 profile. I think till well after ASO, we have to assume there is some point to having a spec.

Actually they not keen at all on Stuff being described as "Irish Digital Compatible", even if it has MHEG4, HD, HE-AAC, MHEG5 etc... Their view is that no-one can foresee future issues unless a box/TV is tested by Teracom and passes. In which case it can be Certified.

Having seen how well "self certification" and aspects of CE Mark work, I can understand where they are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭liamtech

watty wrote: »
    I'm only echoing what RTE is saying.

I thought Series Link might need it, but while they do plan an MHEG5 EPG, the actual PVR series link is according to Nordig spec.

RTE's spec is Nordig + UK MHEG5 profile. I think till well after ASO, we have to assume there is some point to having a spec.

Actually they not keen at all on Stuff being described as "Irish Digital Compatible", even if it has MHEG4, HD, HE-AAC, MHEG5 etc... Their view is that no-one can foresee future issues unless a box/TV is tested by Teracom and passes. In which case it can be Certified.

Having seen how well "self certification" and aspects of CE Mark work, I can understand where they are coming from.

MHEG5 is obviously going to be used in several different was including but not exclusive to Teletext, EPG and other red button streams - I believe in future proofing to a point - certainly enthusiasts like ourselves will chop and change our systems as required - But i would still say a basic HD Mpeg4 box has very decent functionality-

I think this comes down to the same argument as the old "FREESAT versus FTA Receiver" argument - Yes there are massive benefits to a freesat box - 8day EPG, timers, red button features, automatic updates etc etc etc

BUT!

Many users, myself included have no issues what so ever about using basic FTA boxes - I have recommended them to friends who move into houses with existing dishes etc - no 8 day guide, sod all timer functions, etc:

I recently gave a friend of mine my SL65(7 + years old!) and this ex sky subscriber thought it was the absolute business - 100% - he actually preferred it to the sky box he had been using as a FTA box - Most people are only interested in the channels folks - thats a fact folks - give them a MPEG4-HD DTT BOX with basic PVR via USB and there dancing - that cheap sigmatek box off pixmania seems like the ideal candidate -

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4258890/art/sigmatek/dvbr-520-hd-digital-tv-re.html

Genuinely thinking of getting this just to try and then maybe keep as a spare .

In any case im really curious to check out the Saorview certified brands as soon as they become available - i only hope triax get there act together -

One thing i am curious about is the lake of FREEVIEW HD and FREEVIEW +HD boxes being sold in ireland - for years freesat boxes have been available from such places as Powercity(both freesat and sat4free versions), Maplin, and many online sellers around ireland - yet no one has thought to sell the DTT compatible counterparts - VERY CURIOUS!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement

Product Dumping.

Maplin is selliung useless MPEG2 portable TVs, but also selling Humax and Sagecom regular and PVR versions of "Freesat HD". At inflated price :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Those initial boxes off the top of my head.

Head on the block. Bassic viewing does not require MHEG5.

MHEG5, CI+ is politics.

Put it it this way, I wouldn't advise anyone to pay 99 for dvb-t mheg5 facilities. Its a bloody laugh.

And I mean that in the best way posssible.

To the aul one on the street MHEG5 means nothing and nver will. Watching Xfactor, Coorrie, Eastenders, Fair City, Late Late, 6 One, Prime Time will.

We really did lose the plot introducing Nordig for no apparent reason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

watty wrote: »

That is interesting. RTE will be broadcasting in the North using FreesatHD on their mini-mux. In the MoU and further announcements, both Governments have committed to making viewer equipment 'more compatible' whatever that means. So perhaps there will be a convergence between the UK D book and Saorview spec in the future. Maybe the UK will go Nordig after 2012. Nordig will be DVB-T2 after 2013, and CI+ which means MHEG 5. So they will not be too far apart. The UK needs to begin migrating from DVB-T1/MPEG2 to DVB-T2/MPEG4, perhaps Mux by Mux. If they can squeeze a seventh Mux, they might use that to move some channels over while they close one of the commercial muxes. Who knows?

It all depends on how quickly they expect people to upgrade their TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

liamtech wrote: »
    give them a MPEG4-HD DTT BOX with basic PVR via USB and there dancing - that cheap sigmatek box off pixmania seems like the ideal candidate -

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4258890/art/sigmatek/dvbr-520-hd-digital-tv-re.html

That looks a nice candidate for the kids playroom - nice and cheap for basic DTT access!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

My friend and I bought the Triax ST-HD527 in Powercity at the weekend. While there we picked up the cheapest set of rabbit ears in stock, selling for 6 Euro. I wasn't confident they would work but wanted to test the reception prior to getting an outside or loft aerial. I ended up getting picture perfect reception from Kippure/3Rock @ 85% quality and strength on the Triax on-screen dispaly (house location near scholars pub, Firhouse)

Regarding the receiver I liked it and my friend is very happy with their new set-up. It's easy to use and set up, I would have liked the ability to delete unwanted channels from the main listings which contain all the channels scanned but that options isn't there however it's very easy to create multiple "Favourite" channels listings/groups which can be renamed to your liking. I created just the one listing which contained the 70+ decent Free-To-Air channels and Saorview. Channel changing was very quick even going from DTT to Sat. The favourite menu is easy to navigate and operate.

Other than not being able to delete all the unwanted crap channels which wasn't too big an issue to be honest the only other problem I had was the lack of a HDMI cable in the box !!!! A scart cable was provided..... surely in today's market a HDMI cable would be the preferred method of connecting a STB to a TV and as cheap as a scart.

At the end of the day my friend who has always paid UPC or Sky to only ever watch FREE-TO-AIR digital TV is very happy and will have all the channels they want and more for free. They didn't want to buy online and with Powercity nearby they where happy to pay the premium of buying in a local shop.

Thanks Guys

• Advertisement

A good HDMI cable is about 1/4 of cost of a good SCART actually. But the local bargain stores sell them for €2.

Advertisement