Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you miss in Waterford

Options
  • 08-02-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭

Jaysus I'm just sitting here at me desk craving an ould doughnut from Leahy's, nearly salivating all over the keyboard! And of course you couldn't get a doughnut there without getting one of their vanilla slices :D

I also miss Harney's blaas, they were the best in town!

So what does everyone else miss from times gone by?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

The League winners pennant flying from the flagpole at Kilcohan.

Great days !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

kfallon wrote: »
    Jaysus I'm just sitting here at me desk craving an ould doughnut from Leahy's, nearly salivating all over the keyboard! And of course you couldn't get a doughnut there without getting one of their vanilla slices :D

I also miss Harney's blaas, they were the best in town!

So what does everyone else miss from times gone by?

They were definately the best!

Used to get them about 7.30 in the morning when they were only out of the oven! Loads a butter and you were laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm only home a few times a year but I miss the odd bit of luncheon too, either with just a bit of red sauce or in a blaa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

ya cant bate the country style Red Lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Quarter of sweets in the shop. Like cough drops, pear drops etc.

That youthful innocence when children could spend all up to midnight day playing safely in the neighbourhood without their parents having to keep a close eye on them. Society has been thrown away.

• Advertisement

Burgerland......and then was it changed to BurgerGarden.....or vice versa!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I miss a good blaa. I always try and see if my mum can get them for me to bring up home to Dublin, but she can never find them close to home.

She would always bring a few home after a shop in Waterford! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Good thread. Deep breath....

The KK Discount store.
    The pound shop that used to be down passed the book centre.
    Leahy's eclairs with their own cream.
    Egans & The Olde Stand
    KG Discs in the Broad Street Centre.
    Crusty blaas
    Connolly's shop on barrack street
    Mcgrath's shop on the cork road
    Taking penalties on the pitch at Kilcohan during half time of Waterford matches and the crowd cheering when you scored.

Chip Butty in Skippers at about 3am of a Friday night!
    I miss The Roxy too!
    The Comeragh Green League
    Getting a pound for a 'Burger Special' lunch in the Beefy King of a Friday
    Bren's Den

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Breens/The Bridge Hotel Disco: Just for the early-to-mid 90s
    Flow Motion (Fri nite club above Egans)
    Egans itself for that matter.
    The Olde Rogue (Wacky Apple is the complete opposite)
    The Pulpit/Preachers (always thought they both had a cool interior)
    Skippers chipper in Patrick Street
    Waterford in the 1990s!

• Advertisement

I miss The Roxy too!

Good call!! Completely forgot about it.

Did I hear correctly that the Bok is still around and on the dry too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

Nothing much to be honest ,although its not the worst place in Ireland .I lived there for 2.5 years up till March 2008 .

I did not like the very high cost of Internet Cafes .The general level of valdalism ( i lived off the Cork road about 2.5 klm from the natorious estate )
    Lack of a proper Cinema ( i know its better now ) .

I did like the nearness to good beaches .( but the weather is too cold all year for me to swim ).
    The people i met there were friendly enough ,but i never made good friends ( that could be my fault though ) .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

thinking of Leahy's doughnuts reminded me of waiting to be served while every wasp in Ireland swooped around your head but the doughnuts were worth it for sure.

A bag of chips in The Cleaboy for 45p
    Hitchiking to Tramore nearly every day in the summer
    Pitch n' putt in Glass Centre

There is the odd reported sighting of the one the call the Bok around town. Suppose its difficult to give the same rousing action packed performance when your sipping on a glass of flat Coke. I recall seeing him more than a few times in his heyday, always dressed up seductively in that vest number! Although he always had T+H's & upstairs in The Roxy rocking come the end of the night. Sadly, anyone under 30 probably dosent even know of the man's existence.

Then again Waterford from the mid 90s to early 00s was a good place to go out in. Good pubs. Good clubs. When the Celtic Tiger excesses started to kick in Waterford, indeed Ireland, lost everything it was renowned for.
    It would be great to re-visit a Fri or Sat nite out back then. No mobiles. Jukeboxes in some pubs. Walk home if the weather was alright (& without the threat of violence!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Hoffmans.

The Roxy was a good spot,but cheers was better,and the metroland in the early 90's when the Prodigy and Carl Cox used to play there.Club LA wasn't bad too.

The Green Bank for fresh cream cakes.

I miss Thomas St,Anne St,O'Connell St areas before they came an international hub for all kinds.

Burgerland and the Wimpy.

Halloween when we were allowed to have bonfires.

Hoffmans.
    Halloween when we were allowed to have bonfires.

Especially in the fields next to the old Chipboard Factory!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

The Bok plays in Bolgers fairly regularly of late.
    He wasn,t on the dry the last time i seen him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 karencuddo

metroland was best club ever...carl cox, gayle san...never had a club like it since... also miss the coffee shop on patrick street across from the old flicks....used to love coffee and slice of cake after doing the shopping in darrers with me ma.. oh and for a nice burger the chuckwagon......

• Advertisement

Remember when A-Wear was actually called Gay-Wear....what were they thinking :rolleyes:

There is the odd reported sighting of the one the call the Bok around town. Suppose its difficult to give the same rousing action packed performance when your sipping on a glass of flat Coke. I recall seeing him more than a few times in his heyday, always dressed up seductively in that vest number! Although he always had T+H's & upstairs in The Roxy rocking come the end of the night. Sadly, anyone under 30 probably dosent even know of the man's existence.

Then again Waterford from the mid 90s to early 00s was a good place to go out in. Good pubs. Good clubs. When the Celtic Tiger excesses started to kick in Waterford, indeed Ireland, lost everything it was renowned for.
    It would be great to re-visit a Fri or Sat nite out back then. No mobiles. Jukeboxes in some pubs. Walk home if the weather was alright (& without the threat of violence!).
    don't forget the legendary Bob Miller band the women went crazy for him

karencuddo wrote: »
    don't forget the legendary Bob Miller band the women I went crazy for him

Wasn't he the one with the kinda handlebar 'tache or am I getting mixed up

Btw, FYP :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Burgerland is a great one.

I really miss Temple Bar, in there after a few in bad bobs on a Monday was quality. I have never found a pub I liked as much.

Remember the cafe upstairs in the Hypermarket, I remember when me Ma & Nanny were finished their shopping they'd bring me in there for a glass of orange and a yellow snack!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

ziedth wrote: »
    Burgerland is a great one.

I really miss Temple Bar, in there after a few in bad bobs on a Monday was quality. I have never found a pub I liked as much.

I miss bobby mcgees pub before it was templebar, infact i miss having a good choice of pubs in the city centre.
    The arundel inn anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Remember the cafe upstairs in the Hypermarket, I remember when me Ma & Nanny were finished their shopping they'd bring me in there for a glass of orange and a yellow snack!

I remember the cafe upstairs in Shaws,after a hard days shopping in town on a Saturday with me mammy we would always go there,id always get a coke or orange float and an auld club milk or something :)

I remember the cafe upstairs in Shaws,after a hard days shopping in town on a Saturday with me mammy we would always go there,id always get a coke or orange float and an auld club milk or something :)

Jaysus yeah I remember that!
    We'd be in there on a Saturday morn but we'd (I mean I'd) have to be home for Saint & Greavesie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

remember when Sullivan's drink lorries would be parked on high street and you could sneak up during lunch time from school and liberate a few flaggons and hopefully not get caught by 'gimme gimme' :p

• Advertisement

Wasn't he the one with the kinda handlebar 'tache or am I getting mixed up

Btw, FYP :pac:

yes that is him.. he did an elvis act too..

Advertisement