Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena [US] **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

This mini-series should be renamed to "Batiatus: Lord of the Arena". He was great in this! Loved the pissed off look he threw when he was asked to make his men fight with steel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

This was epic in it's awesomeness!!...just when i thought nothing could top ep. 1 this baby dropped!....loads happened, Doctore is now...Doctore, Gannicus forced to f*ck Melitta, did anyone see how she started to enjoy it?, Crixius coming into his own, what's interesting is Ashur and Crixus seem friends...that'll change.

Batiatus/John Hannah was fantastic in this ep., brilliant fight scenes, loved the flashbacks to previous gladiator champions from the house of Batiatus. Thought the quality of the CGI looked alot better in this ep. as well. So many betrayals in one ep. Gaia is one sneaky vixen!, without question the best show on tv right now!

I have SPOLIERS re; Gannicus and Spartacus: Vengence --> http://www.denverpost.com/television/ci_17136855

I totally disagree with this guys review of ep. 2: http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/01/28/spartacus-starz/

"At this point, I'm a bit worried that the plots of this abbreviated season will proceed in a mechanical fashion -- i.e., Oenemaus/Doctore will eventually find out about Gannicus' betrayal, Gannicus and Oenomaus/Doctore will end up fighting each other, Gannicus will end up dead, Crixus will be the one to wound Ashur before gaining the mark of the Brotherhood, etc"...

^ the writers have to follow events from season 1 and tie it into the prequel, of course we know who lives and dies, but it's HOW those characters get to live is the interesting part, it's well established Crixus made Ashur lame and no longer able to fight, the point is HOW did those events unfold?

Consider that from the prequel it appears Crixus and Ashur are (sorta) friends, so is a betrayal involved?, does Cruxus do whatever it takes to become champ?, or do they fight in the arena?

We know Melitta dies...but how?, was it Gannicus?, and if yes then it'll be VERY interesting in season 2 when Doctore and Gannicus meet up!
    sure scenes are telegraphed, Lucretia in ep. 1 saying she'd never lay with a filthy slave [irony alert!], next shot we see Crixus, the point is HOW does Lucretia and Crixus arrive at that point and how it invloves Naevia.

IMO that reviewer is nitpicking or just dosen't get the point of a prequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Saw the 1st episode earlier today. Great to have it back and it's just as strong as the best bits of Blood and Sand so far. Some great gore there.

I agree it's a shame that this is only 6 episodes long but i think it will lead brilliantly to the start of Season 1 and I'm already planning on watching season 1 again once this is all said and done.

Hope to get time to watch ep 2 tonight and will chime in on it then but all in all this is great tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Episode 2: 10/10

Shizz that was all sorts of awesomeness. I think I'm enjoying this much more than 'Blood & Sand'. I know it's a bit early to say say considering it is onyl episode 2. But I already feel a greater compassion towards Gannicus than Spartacus.

In other news>>>> HENRY CAVILL IS SUPERMAN.
    Apologies, I can't contain my excitement :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

I totally disagree with this guys review of ep. 2: http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/01/28/spartacus-starz/

"At this point, I'm a bit worried that the plots of this abbreviated season will proceed in a mechanical fashion -- i.e., Oenemaus/Doctore will eventually find out about Gannicus' betrayal, Gannicus and Oenomaus/Doctore will end up fighting each other, Gannicus will end up dead, Crixus will be the one to wound Ashur before gaining the mark of the Brotherhood, etc"...

^ the writers have to follow events from season 1 and tie it into the prequel, of course we know who lives and dies, but it's HOW those characters get to live is the interesting part, it's well established Crixus made Ashur lame and no longer able to fight, the point is HOW did those events unfold?

Consider that from the prequel it appears Crixus and Ashur are (sorta) friends, so is a betrayal involved?, does Cruxus do whatever it takes to become champ?, or do they fight in the arena?

We know Melitta dies...but how?, was it Gannicus?, and if yes then it'll be VERY interesting in season 2 when Doctore and Gannicus meet up!
    sure scenes are telegraphed, Lucretia in ep. 1 saying she'd never lay with a filthy slave [irony alert!], next shot we see Crixus, the point is HOW does Lucretia and Crixus arrive at that point and how it invloves Naevia.

IMO that reviewer is nitpicking or just dosen't get the point of a prequel.
    make up your mind will gannicus live or die:rolleyes:

another great episode, how the hell do the writers do it,

gaia is a snake and knows how to get what she wants, currently shes helping batiatus rise up the ladder, no doubth shell also be involved in the position he finds themselfs in at the start of season 1,

from what i remember ashur and crixus
    are made fight side by side and crixus sacrifices ashur for the win,

keep it coming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Haven't read any of the above. But going to watch part 2 in a bit. Looking forward to it. Loved the first ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

and if yes then it'll be VERY interesting in season 2 when Doctore and Gannicus meet up!
    Er, what. How do you know this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Vokes wrote: »
    Check the link in his earlier post: http://www.denverpost.com/television/ci_17136855

Hmm... links don't seem to work in spoilers.

Watched the 2nd episode last night and this just get's better and better.

From the great opening scene of Batiatus waking up in the street after his beating, to exacting some revenge and managing to secure his man for the Primus, it was all great.

Gaia is a great character (if a little bit too Ilythia) and how can you not love the actress.

Gannicus brings alot of charm to his scenes and Oenomaus who was great in the 1st season as Doctore gets some good fleshing out here.

Easily one of the most enjoyable and entertaining shows around at the moment and I can't wait for my next fix.

• Advertisement

don ramo wrote: »
    make up your mind will gannicus live or die:rolleyes:

another great episode, how the hell do the writers do it,

gaia is a snake and knows how to get what she wants, currently shes helping batiatus rise up the ladder, no doubth shell also be involved in the position he finds themselfs in at the start of season 1,

from what i remember ashur and crixus
    are made fight side by side and crixus sacrifices ashur for the win,

keep it coming :D

^ please re-read my post, i'm quoting the article/review from TV Squad, we know
    Gannicus lives, because the Dener Post interview quotes Clare saying he's been cast in season 2

Vokes wrote: »

I'm speculating, specualting about IF perhaps Melitta dies at the hand of Gannicus, but on further reflection it's doubtful. But we do know that Doctore and Gannicus will cross paths
    as Dustin Clare confirmed he'll be in season 2, Gannicus is one of the five resistance leaders of the slave rebellion, in historical context

djkeogh wrote: »
    Watched the 2nd episode last night and this just get's better and better.

From the great opening scene of Batiatus waking up in the street after his beating, to exacting some revenge and managing to secure his man for the Primus, it was all great.

Gaia is a great character (if a little bit too Ilythia) and how can you not love the actress.

Gannicus brings alot of charm to his scenes and Oenomaus who was great in the 1st season as Doctore gets some good fleshing out here.

Easily one of the most enjoyable and entertaining shows around at the moment and I can't wait for my next fix.

We all knew Jaime Murray would be the new Ilythia, but thus far she's more subtle than Ilythia ever was, but that may change. You need an Ilythia-type character, those characters are perfect for the Sparatcus universe.

Yea I think the difference between the two is that Gaia has no powerful husband so has to be nicer whereas Ilythia was just throwing her weight around to get everything she wanted. You can't beat the sexy women conniving to get their own way. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Vis a vis Gannicus and his possible fate
    So Gannicus will turn up in the second season of Blood & Sand hmmm interesting I always figured the season was gonna climax with him dying by Oenomaus/crixus hands or during the primus .

In light of this new info here is how I think it could play out in a way that would mirror in some ways events of season 1 of B & S : As the primus approaches Gannicus and Melittas take ever greater risks to find time for their trysts to the point that Oenamaus finds out , enraged he gives Gannicus a savage beatdown putting him out of contention for the primus very late in the game(as in hours before) .

So batiatus has a dilemma who to replace him with , seeing his chance during a preliminary bout that see's him paired with Ashur (ala sparty and Varro in season 1) Crixus in contrast to Spartacus n Varro sacrifices his ludus brother to make the kill in spectacular fashion to impress Batiatus and convince him to use him in the primus . A primus he will go onto win making him champion of capua .

In epilogue we see the badly injured Gannicus suffer the fate that almost befell Crixus when he was injured by theyocles and is sold to another ludus not to be seen again till the second season when Spartacus and his merry band of rebels free him .

Ep. 2 ratings, holding steady:

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (10pm, 55 minutes)
    - 1.136 million viewers
    - N/A HH (didn’t get STARZ in usual report, secondary didn’t have HH)
    - 0.5/1 A18-49

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Vis a vis Gannicus and his possible fate
    So Gannicus will turn up in the second season of Blood & Sand hmmm interesting I always figured the season was gonna climax with him dying by Oenomaus/crixus hands or during the primus .

In light of this new info here is how I think it could play out in a way that would mirror in some ways events of season 1 of B & S : As the primus approaches Gannicus and Melittas take ever greater risks to find time for their trysts to the point that Oenamaus finds out , enraged he gives Gannicus a savage beatdown putting him out of contention for the primus very late in the game(as in hours before) .

So batiatus has a dilemma who to replace him with , seeing his chance during a preliminary bout that see's him paired with Ashur (ala sparty and Varro in season 1) Crixus in contrast to Spartacus n Varro sacrifices his ludus brother to make the kill in spectacular fashion to impress Batiatus and convince him to use him in the primus . A primus he will go onto win making him champion of capua .

In epilogue we see the badly injured Gannicus suffer the fate that almost befell Crixus when he was injured by theyocles and is sold to another ludus not to be seen again till the second season when Spartacus and his merry band of rebels free him .
    That would make sense and be a good arc:
    Although, I'm hoping Gannicus will be sold in some sort of betrayal, and not be crocked so we can have a fully fit and legendary Gannicus, Spartacus and Crixus meet and make-up and go do their thing together in S03

Either way, I'm absolutely loving every minute and can't wait to see how it all unfolds. Absolutely love my Saturday morning TV the last 2 weekends!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

I was just coming here to post something on Gannicus's return for season 2, after reading this wikipedia page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Servile_War

Look at the list of Commanders & Leaders on the right:

Spartacus † a[›],
    Crixus †,
    Oenomaus †,
    Castus †,
    Gannicus † Gaius Claudius Glaber,
    Publius Varinius,
    Gnaeus Clodianus,
    Lucius Gellius Publicola,
    Gaius Cassius Longinus,
    Gnaeus Manlius,
    Marcus Licinius Crassus,
    Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus,
    Marcus Terentius Varro Lucullus,
    Lucius Quinctius,
    Gnaeus Tremellius Scrofa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Starts Monday at 10pm on TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

FYI on spoilers, I would have prefered to not know
    Gannicus survives to appear in season 2, the spoiler in the opening post says this, but I thought that was just speculation, but it has now been confirmed a few pages on. I now know any fight he is in, he will not die
    . Not the end of the World, still loving it, but for future reference. Second episode was excellent, hope they keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

FrostyJack wrote: »
    FYI on spoilers, I would have prefered to not know
    Gannicus survives to appear in season 2, the spoiler in the opening post says this, but I thought that was just speculation, but it has now been confirmed a few pages on. I now know any fight he is in, he will not die
    . Not the end of the World, still loving it, but for future reference. Second episode was excellent, hope they keep it up.

Not sure if this is in referance to my post or the subsequent posts, if mine I apologise , but for future referance had I been merely speculating I wouldn't have put it in spoiler tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Not sure if this is in referance to my post or the subsequent posts, if mine I apologise , but for future referance had I been merely speculating I wouldn't have put it in spoiler tags.

No dude, you were cool it was Richards OP 3rd line down and one other post a few days ago. It only takes 1% away from it's greatness so I won't lose any sleep :D "Blood rains down from an angry sky.... my **** rages on my **** rages on ...."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Great unofficial trailer Sad to here Andy will never return,although this season seems to be working without him.

SPOLIERS AHEAD:
    Dustin Clare, who plays the hunky Gannicus on the six-episode series, has info that might be of interest. “We’re going to lose a gladiator on tonight’s episode,” he says, bluntly in his Aussie accent. (Spoiler-ific AND Australian? Yup. I’m in love.) As you’ll recall, last week we also left off with Gannicus being forced into sex with Oenomaus’ wife Melitta, and in tonight’s all new episode, Gannicus is “still reeling” from the encounter, says Clare. “In episode 3, he’s still trying to process that,” he tells us.

Looking ahead, Clare says we can look forward to “the most amazing fight we’ve ever attempted. The fight choreographers deserve all the credit for that. We did a lot of Saturdays learning that fight. Also, in terms of filming it, it took something like eight days. It’s a big fight.”
    Source: EW

^ big event coming up!

Can't wait for episode three. Will try put aside some time to watch it on Sunday.

Woot!....g'wan ya good ting!, Fridays are awesome now with Fringe + Smallville.

:eek: - i think we just witnessed THE most epic scene in Spartacus hstory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

It involved a cup of wine, some slow mo' and a threesome that starts life as a twosome, the music in that sequence was AMAZING!...i need a copy of that music.

That was the best use of slow mo' i've EVER seen!!!!!! :D

;)

And the DP scene?....disturbing, slave girls for time was not what she thought it would be, Batiatus' father is excellent though....but not long for this world!, brilliant fights too.

For those needing reminder what Doctore said about his wife in Blood & Sand ep. 6:

Here's that scene from episode six of Blood & Sand:

Spartacus first talks about his own wife, then...

Spartacus: "She is the only reason my heart beats within my chest."

Doctore: "To find a love such as this, a rare and fortunate thing."

Spartacus: "You speak from knowledge?"

Doctore: "A wife of my own. The thought of her ever upon my mind."

Spartacus: "Does she live?"

Doctore: "In memory."

http://www.daemonstv.com/2011/02/05/spartacus-gods-of-the-arena-paterfamilias-review/

http://www.afterelton.com/TV/recaps/spartacus/203

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/02/05/spartacus-gods-of-the-arena/

http://www.avclub.com/articles/paterfamilias,51268/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I didn't think ep3 was as good as the first 2 (awesome) but probably lays down a marker for the next 3 episodes. Some great fight scenes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

c0ck was removed from a$$, but only for a while:D

seeing this epidsode reminded me to the fact that we wont be seeing
    barca
    in series 2,
    his caracter had great potential,

it will be interesting to see what happens to batiaus senior, was that cough a symptom of his degrading health or did the dry air and sand cause it,

agreed that slow-mo scene looked great (totally unnessary;)) and id say john hanna made sure he didnt get that right the first time:D, to bad daddy cut it short, gaia is deffinately the new illithia, she gets better looking by the episode, and also more conniving, she licks a$$ far better than illithia,

deffinately the weakest episode of the season, yet still is better than a lot of other shows i watch,

Advertisement