Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any warm countries with good governments?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭

Genuine question; are there any countries with a climate that's relatively warm all year round that have a decent government?

Decent government meaning, basic human rights, low crime rate, low corruption rate, high quality of life, low poverty, etc., and subjectively (since some people will disagree on these things being 'decent') government-regulated (or at least affordable!) healthcare and education, separation of church and state, and low censorship?

I'm sick of winter, and in the very distant future wouldn't mind settling down somewhere with a nice climate, but I can't think of any countries that would work for me, and I don't consider the U.S. an option (won't get into it).

Mexico, Greece, Spain, Italy, Jamaica, Cuba, Africa, Brazil, the Middle East, etc. etc. etc.. none of them fit. Why is it only brutally cold countries/continents that suit me? :(

So, I put it to you, AH: are there any warm countries with (subjectively, of course) decent governments? And if not.. what's up with that? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Try Bahrain, I love it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

liah wrote: »
    Genuine question; are there any countries with a climate that's relatively warm all year round that have a decent government?

Decent government meaning, basic human rights, low crime rate, low corruption rate, high quality of life, low poverty, etc., and subjectively (since some people will disagree on these things being 'decent') government-regulated (or at least affordable!) healthcare and education, separation of church and state, and low censorship?

I'm sick of winter, and in the very distant future wouldn't mind settling down somewhere with a nice climate, but I can't think of any countries that would work for me, and I don't consider the U.S. an option (won't get into it).

Mexico, Greece, Spain, Italy, Jamaica, Cuba, Africa, Brazil, the Middle East, etc. etc. etc.. none of them fit. Why is it only brutally cold countries/continents that suit me? :(

So, I put it to you, AH: are there any warm countries with (subjectively, of course) decent governments? And if not.. what's up with that? :confused:

'stralia.

New Zealand.

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Australia, but it's full of bloody Australians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Don't like Australia's censorship on a lot of things. Frankly don't know a whole lot about New Zealand other than sheep, Lord of the Rings, and Flight of the Conchords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

cyprus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Cuba

I hear good things about New Zealand alright, a friend of mine was over there a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

Mullingar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Pandora?

BickNarry wrote: »
    Mullingar

I miss Mullingar, but I don't reckon it misses me, think that one's off the list alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Argentina? If you don't mind a bit of the ol' corruption and the odd tsunami then Indonesia is good.

Frankly don't know a whole lot about New Zealand other than sheep, Lord of the Rings, and Flight of the Conchords.

Highest gang membership per capita in the world. Face tatoos. The Hakka. Maori. Kiwi-bird and fruit.

And that's me out!

But seriously, I would see little wrong with either of them. Like Canada, they are former dominions, have a large immigrant history, and aren't exactly backward countries either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

:D
    wait you said "decent government" - my bad :(

Zing. Take that Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Mauritius. I hear there are jobs open at some hotel there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Malta

Monaco

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

bermuda?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

Grenada, its very warm and the government is ok. Kinda poor though.... but tones of waki baki (which im sure no one would be interested in)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Don't like Australia's censorship on a lot of things.
    Australia is Truly Awesome.

Frankly don't know a whole lot about New Zealand other than sheep, Lord of the Rings, and Flight of the Conchords.

Aww thanks Liah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I was going to say Canada is warm in the summertime but...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg
    Southern Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

can only stay for a minute liah but i admire your thinking,if i knew of such a place i would keep it a selfish secret Lol !

It sounds like paradise and i am sure i have been too bad already to have that option:(

Hey i am with you,Ireland sucks(but not in the parts of me i enjoy being sucked!,that part is shrivelled up from the cold most of the time now:o)

bring on the revoloution but only after i have found the paradise you speak of and wimpy me is safe there :).

I think you speak for us all in what you say! Why not stay,run for Tee-Shock and take the shock from that sacred office?

Hey you bad guys WE deserve and demand HOPE........... all that misery from what is after all ink printed on paper.................. You Bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

clln wrote: »
    can only stay for a minute liah but i admire your thinking,if i knew of such a place i would keep it a selfish secret Lol !

It sounds like paradise and i am sure i have been too bad already to have that option:(

Hey i am with you,Ireland sucks(but not in the parts of me i enjoy being sucked!,that part is shrivelled up from the cold most of the time now:o)

bring on the revoloution but only after i have found the paradise you speak of and wimpy me is safe there :).

I think you speak for us all in what you say! Why not stay,run for Tee-Shock and take the shock from that sacred office?

Hey you bad guys WE deserve and demand HOPE........... all that misery from what is after all ink printed on paper.................. You Bastards
    What the **** are you babbling about?

Terry wrote: »
    What the **** are you babbling about?

You're killing the buzz, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Well it probably wouldn't satisfy all of your criteria but from what I've read about Costa Rica it sounds like a good bet. Great healthcare and overall quality of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Costa Rica fits the bill, its the best of Central America by far. Singapore is good, but damn expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

why did you exclude spain?seems to fit most of the criteria pretty well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

thisguy wrote: »
    why did you exclude spain?seems to fit most of the criteria pretty well!

Cos they're near as fcuked as we are. (apparently)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

I know you want to exclude the US but the southern states and california, new mexico, etc have great climates and the US has what a lot of people consider one of the most stable political systems in the world.

• Advertisement

macquarie wrote: »
    I know you want to exclude the US but the southern states and california, new mexico, etc have great climates and the US has what a lot of people consider one of the most stable political systems in the world.

I am not one of those people.

Advertisement