Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Sub-Forum re: politics of Garda Reserve

Options
  • 30-12-2010 4:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

Sure what we all need now is some sort of an affiliation of some sorts to give us a voice just like the full time members have in the GRA, if only they would get down of their high horses and take it as the Garda Reserves are here now why not make the most of them, after all they have now been in existence for the last 5 yrs now and they really need to get over this.

If this could happen, this would be a great achievement for both the full time member and the reserve member, it would also be a better working relationship all around a lot more could prob be achieved by the way training takes place and in what format it needs to be in, it would also prob benefit the reserve member more as they would prob get a more active role, and not having to leave everything to the full time member, (ie)( Paper work fcps etc ) this is the way forward as its been done in many other work environment.

Im not trying to say for one Minuit that a reserve member can be as well up as a full time member, after all they have put 3 yrs into this training, but its just as easy for the full time member to pass on his or her knowledge on what they need doing, and in what way it makes their job easier as well from a paper point of view, as every little helps no matter how small a detail.

This is just my own opinion and maybe pigs will fly but who knows, it seems to work well in other countries why not Ireland, if it was only given half a chance to succeed.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Sure what we all need now is some sort of an affiliation of some sorts to give us a voice just like the full time members have in the GRA, if only they would get down of their high horses and take it as the Garda Reserves are here now why not make the most of them, after all they have now been in existence for the last 5 yrs now and they really need to get over this.

If this could happen, this would be a great achievement for both the full time member and the reserve member, it would also be a better working relationship all around a lot more could prob be achieved by the way training takes place and in what format it needs to be in, it would also prob benefit the reserve member more as they would prob get a more active role, and not having to leave everything to the full time member, (ie)( Paper work fcps etc ) this is the way forward as its been done in many other work environment.

Im not trying to say for one Minuit that a reserve member can be as well up as a full time member, after all they have put 3 yrs into this training, but its just as easy for the full time member to pass on his or her knowledge on what they need doing, and in what way it makes their job easier as well from a paper point of view, as every little helps no matter how small a detail.

This is just my own opinion and maybe pigs will fly but who knows, it seems to work well in other countries why not Ireland, if it was only given half a chance to succeed.:)

ZoneAlarm I would say hell will freeze over before the GRA will even recognise the Garda Reserve, never mind representing them? PJ Stone was even at it again in last month's edition of the Garda Review, giving out again about the Garda Reserve, so while the Garda Reserve may be here to stay, there is little or no chance of the GRA ever representing them. However there is no doubt that the Garda Reserve do need some form of representation, for as things stand the Reserve is just floating around in circles, going nowhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Well maybe its time for one to be set up, if there was enough people interested only prob i could see is trying to get in touch with everyone, to try and organise some sort of a meet up, maybe to discuss what way things could be moved forward in regard to setting one up.

Maybe after the New year we could get in touch with the Management Unit in Santry and see what their views on this would be, if anyone is interested in getting in touch with me please pm me i will respond to all messages.

Sorry mods if this causes a problem please remove it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's kinda outside the remit of the forum, but if you guys want a private sub-forum to discuss the politics of the Garda Reserve, please drop me a PM and we'll sort something out. It's clear there's a bit of leadership needed in this area, but I don't think this forum is it.

Interested parties step up and send me a PM.

Pm sent thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

someone called for a hero, i mean leader :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

We've got it covered. Watch this space for developments in the new year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

o believe me i ll watch alright should be quiet interesting to see how it pans out:cool:

Flash send me a pm m8 i know you as you where part of my phase, and yes it will be interesting to say the least, just need to set things in motion and then move forward.

Well hopefully it will pan out well, if there is enough interest from reserve members, there is a defo need for something to be done, its 5 yrs going now ans nobody knows what is going on as there is no communication or feed back on anything that is going on.

So reserve members if you are interested in this new venture pm me and i will answer all messages i receive.

As PSNI has said watch this space in the new year as its the start of something new, and should be of interested to all Reserve members who wish to partake in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭OnDuty

Hi Guys I am new here, I am in reserves for last 4 years, I beleive that as Garda Reserves we do need an association of our own, and I am working on this at the moment with other members, maybe we should get together at Reserve Meeting next Friday in Tullamore and discuss this.:)

• Advertisement

OnDuty wrote: »
    Hi Guys I am new here, I am in reserves for last 4 years, I beleive that as Garda Reserves we do need an association of our own, and I am working on this at the moment with other members, maybe we should get together at Reserve Meeting next Friday in Tullamore and discuss this.:)

this friday would be fine for me but next week i will be away till sunday so if its this week great.

Yes This Friday is the GR Yearly Dinner in Tullamore

OnDuty wrote: »
    Yes This Friday is the GR Yearly Dinner in Tullamore

Wont come for the dinner but will come for the chat where is location and time thanks

Tullamore Court Hotel @8pm:rolleyes:

Great stuff i will be there about 9pm or so, hopefully i can get to meet as many people as i can we can discuss what we are hoping for then.

Come on lads there is roughly well over 500 attested members of the Garda Reserve, lets try and get this private forum up and running for us unless we get up of our behinds and set something up things are going to stay the same for the next 5 yrs or longer, so the choice is yours either leave it the way it is or lets try and get some sort order into it, at least we will get some sort of feedback unlike at the moment we get no feedback from anything that is happening not even from the Appreciation nights in Westmanstown.
    The link is below for you to read the rest of it, as i say the rest is up to you.

******************* http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056134078 ******************

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Attended the recent dinner and enjoyed the social aspect of the evening.

However, the concept of establishing a Federation is not going to help in any way towards changing the hearts and minds of those who object to the GR. Perhaps they will never change their opinion but no matter what they think ,we as a group know that our motives are pure and like all volunteers we do what we do because we want to make a difference to the society we live in , to make a change and help those who may not be able to help themselves. After all, it is the duty of the strong to protect the weak and behind all of our good intentions is the over riding desire to help people.

It is this we should focus on , doing the job to the best of our abilities , contributing everytime we go on duty and proving that by doing a good job that we are an asset to the State and AGS. This is the only way to change mind sets and negative opinions and pave the way for all of those who will follow us into the GR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RoversFanatic

I joined the GR over a year ago and am really enjoying it. I have a grievance, however. Why I am not allowed to bring home my pepper spray? Full-time members are, so why amn't I? Are we not all equals, doing the one job?
    Could this issue be raised, if some sort of representative organisation for reservists came into being?

Just so people know this is not the private board, so what ever you post here can be seen by everyone on here.

Also no one is suppose to take pepper spray home as they are considered as firearms

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Just so people know this is not the private board, so what ever you post here can be seen by everyone on here.

Also no one is suppose to take pepper spray home as they are considered as firearms
    Mod Note: Go easy on the font ZoneAlarm. It is a tad excessive. The poster asked a general question about whether something could be done, a simple yes or no would have sufficed.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

I know it can be seen. And I wasn't suggesting that I wanted to bring it home. It's simply the principle of it that annoys me.
    Are we not to be trusted with it? We've put in the hard weekends in Templemore and are giving freely of our time for a few hours every month, so it just feels like a vote of no-confidence in us.
    Ditto the fact that we're not allowed to drive patrol cars. If they want us in there, why don't they allow us to make ourselves useful?

im just making sure people are not getting mixed up by the name of the thread above??

Private Sub-Forum re: politics of Garda Reserve

where they will be thinking this is the private part of the forum, name of the thread is very confusing if you ask me.

i was just making it clear to people that this is NOT the private part in case they thought it was.

Sorry !!

Post edited above !!

I know it can be seen. And I wasn't suggesting that I wanted to bring it home. It's simply the principle of it that annoys me.
    Are we not to be trusted with it? We've put in the hard weekends in Templemore and are giving freely of our time for a few hours every month, so it just feels like a vote of no-confidence in us.
    Ditto the fact that we're not allowed to drive patrol cars. If they want us in there, why don't they allow us to make ourselves useful?

Hi,

Welcome to our Garda Reserve forum. You might try asking same, or similar in one of the following: Experiences, Duties & Powers or even in the Training threads.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Thanks, Ill repost it there, see what the general consensus is!

Mod Note: @ Raider190:

I want this thread kept on topic please. I have moved your replies over here to where the question was re-phrased by the poster involved.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement