Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope says god was behind Big Bang, world awaits proof.

Options
  • 07-01-2011 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭

This guy should do stand up comedy, he gets funnier every time he opens his mouth!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0106/breaking70.html?via=mr
    Benedict said that some scientific theories were "mind limiting" because "they only arrive at a certain point ... and do not manage to explain the ultimate sense of reality ..."

Ahh, so scientists just doesn't have any imagination...go on....
    He said scientific theories on the origin and development of the universe and humans, while not in conflict with faith, left many questions unanswered.
    "In the beauty of the world, in its mystery, in its greatness and in its rationality ... we can only let ourselves be guided towards God, creator of heaven and earth," he said.

Ahh, the Polyfilla Arguement (I've just made that up but seems to match perfectly).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

"Polyfilla", nice one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Benedict said that some scientific theories were "mind limiting" because "they only arrive at a certain point ... and do not manage to explain the ultimate sense of reality ..."
    Clichéd, I know, but whose reality is that?

Pope-Gold-Pearls.jpg

Or

poverty.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hail mary, full of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Some atheists say science can prove that God does not exist, but Benedict said that some scientific theories were "mind limiting" because "they only arrive at a certain point ... and do not manage to explain the ultimate sense of reality ..."

Some people say

Who wrote this sh1te?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

God must be tiny, hiding among those gaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Less important news; that cheeky pup Hawking disagrees;
    "God did not create the universe and the Big Bang"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So does this now mean that (Evangelical) Christians are no longer supposed to believe in Creationism? "Yes everything the scientists have said all along, which we argued profusely, is actually right... but only cause God made it all happen."

Right, ok.

My bet is they will actually ignore him and still continue to tout what they've been defending all this time

The stereotypical American evangelical creationists are protestant, so they will have to stick with it a bit longer, just so nobody can say they listened to the pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Theres no mention of the big bang in that article by the pope wtf? Anyone got any quotes on the pope accepting evolution or is that more tabloid nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    So does this now mean that (Evangelical) Christians are no longer supposed to believe in Creationism?
    Them Evangelical boys don't hold any truck with what the Pope has to say.

It's one of the few things we have in common. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

From the article:
    Galileo was rehabilitated...

:confused:

Does the author mean he was rehabilitated by being locked in his gaff for
    the last part of his life or rehabilitated in the rehabilitating sense that the
    church apologised for locking him in his house, stunting the advancement of early
    science
    , & re-accepted him thereby rehabilitating him :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

30wl65z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

From the article:

:confused:

Does the author mean he was rehabilitated by being locked in his gaff for
    the last part of his life or rehabilitated in the rehabilitating sense that the
    church apologised for locking him in his house, stunting the advancement of early
    science
    , & re-accepted him thereby rehabilitating him :confused:

rehabilitated(Verb)
    1. Restore (someone) to health or normal life by training and therapy after imprisonment, addiction, or illness.
    2. Restore (someone) to former privileges or reputation after a period of critical or official disfavor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

jhegarty wrote: »
    rehabilitated(Verb)
    1. Restore (someone) to health or normal life by training and therapy after imprisonment, addiction, or illness.
    2. Restore (someone) to former privileges or reputation after a period of critical or official disfavor.

Wow absolvement from "official disfavour" is strong enough to deserve the
    word "rehabilitate" :confused: I thought that was only reserved for being sick or
    when you actually did something wrong.

If you use the word that way it still doesn't make sense, they only
    issued this apology as a means to gain their own "rehabilitation" in
    the eyes of society seeing as they were the ones who transgressed,
    & conceding that the term applies for them to bestow in this situation is to
    concede that they took away reputation & privileges when in
    the long run they were the ones who ultimately lost both,
    hence the issuing of "rehabilitation" orders 300 years later as nothing
    more than a face-saving tactic.

jhegarty wrote: »
    rehabilitated(Verb)
    So does Galileo get to enjoy these restored privileges in the afterlife then, seeing as he was dead a few hundred years when he received them. Perhaps he gets some heavenly compo money into the bargain?

recedite wrote: »
    Less important news; that cheeky pup Hawking disagrees;
    "God did not create the universe and the Big Bang"

Pope versus Hawking... fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hey guys,
    I'm fine with the pope doing this and attributing things to god. at least he is accepting reality even if he is attributing it to his god. I wish more religious people would accept scientific ideas, like the earth being older than 6000 years, even if they are going to attribute them to their god, its an improvement. Accepting reality and saying 'my god done it' is better then not accepting the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Anyone got any quotes on the pope accepting evolution or is that more tabloid nonsense?

Typing two words into google a bit too much effort for you?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_evolution

• Advertisement

Hey guys,
    I'm fine with the pope doing this and attributing things to god. at least he is accepting reality even if he is attributing it to his god. I wish more religious people would accept scientific ideas, like the earth being older than 6000 years, even if they are going to attribute them to their god, its an improvement. Accepting reality and saying 'my god done it' is better then not accepting the reality.

That's not really accepting reality though is it?
    I suppose it is partially accepting reality.... a step in the right direction I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I'm just after links, why are you asking an unrelated question?
    Zillah wrote: »
    Typing two words into google a bit too much effort for you?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_evolution

No but i have 2 words for you zillah! Christ ya can't make conversation in a forum these days without a smartarse jumpin on ya. Some horrible characters in this forum!

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Who said Germans don't have a sense of humour..

Some horrible characters in this forum!
    If you think someone's horrible to you don't take the bait and get lured into generalisations.

Thanking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm just after links, why are you asking an unrelated question?

No but i have 2 words for you zillah! Christ ya can't make conversation in a forum these days without a smartarse jumpin on ya. Some horrible characters in this forum!

In fairness Zillah was being nice to you. He could just have done this. And, given that Zillah is usually sharp and blunt, I'd defo say you got the nice end of his stick. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Malty_T wrote: »
    And, given that Zillah is usually sharp and blunt, I'd defo say you got the nice end of his stick. :)

Lol, very true. :D Caulfield, that's about as nice as Zillah gets man, by his standards that's down right sociable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm a horrible character.

Anyway my attitude was due to the rather obnoxious implication that a matter of public record (Catholic Church and evolution) was "tabloid nonsense". Especially when the person in question could have disabused themselves of this misconception rather easily rather than blustering around in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Galvasean wrote: »
    That's not really accepting reality though is it?
    I suppose it is partially accepting reality.... a step in the right direction I guess.

I agree. Its not fully accepting reality. On the other hand, the way I see it, there are effects and causes. For gravity there is the effect, things are pulled towards each other, and the cause is our theory of gravity. (m1xm2)/D squared. I am fine if the pope agrees with that even if he says thats the way his god set it up. We can work from there.
    If we can agree on the effect and agree on the theory I don't mind if they add on 'cos god did it that way'.
    If that was all religions did I wouldn't have any problem with them.

Its when they dispute that the effect even occurs that I object. like in the case of evolution, or Heliocentrism in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

I believe that the Papist church came up with the idea of the Big Bang in the first place, so as good Dawlinists we should go with something else like the Steady State theory.

Someone call Dawkins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

He banged Mary pretty hard

Advertisement