Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

animal welfare in this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bullmccabe2010

That's a disgusting story. What kind of stupid children were they? As for the guard-I recently found a dog that was running in around rush hour traffic and when I brought him to the local garda station they didn't want to know about it and said I should just let him off. The fact it was an accident waiting to happen didn't seem to bother them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That's a disgusting story. What kind of stupid children were they? As for the guard-I recently found a dog that was running in around rush hour traffic and when I brought him to the local garda station they didn't want to know about it and said I should just let him off. The fact it was an accident waiting to happen didn't seem to bother them.

Are gaurds trained in respect of animal welfare? Animal welfare in this country really shouldnt have to tell a gaurd that stamping on a puppys head is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Poor little pup :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I read that in the paper this morning, i didn't realise the guard didn't know it was illegal, come on that's insane, how thick was he/she?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

To be fair, the Gardai really do have more serious things to be worrying about that a dog running out on the road. I know it doesn't sound very compassionate but it's common sense.

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I read that in the paper this morning, i didn't realise the guard didn't know it was illegal, come on that's insane, how thick was he/she?????

I think its a matter of being extremely untrained in these matters. I dont envy animal welfare in this country.

The gards know the exact type of muzzle I need for my dog!

So they have 'some' knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Not on.Racist views will not be tolerated here.

The gards know the exact type of muzzle I need for my dog!

So they have 'some' knowledge.

you dont need to be a gaurd to know that in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

When my dog got out a couple of months ago we didn't know where to start (new to the area), called into the local garda station, as we didn't even know where the local pound was and the guards were more than happy to help in any way possible and actually followed up to make sure we had gotten our dog home.

Some believe the guards have more important things to be doing than worrying about animal welfare but that's like saying they shouldn't worry about petty crimes and should only concentrate on big time criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

That beggars belief... those kids need a short, sharp lesson.

As for the guard... what a plonker. I hope he gets his ass kicked by the station's superintendant.

I would love to know how the neighbourhood in question is dealing with this. That poor pup will have belonged to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Tranceypoo wrote: »

This is typical of the gardai in Donegal, they don't want to know much about anything other than where thier next take-away is comming from. I found a stallion wandering on the road and ended up stuck with him for over a month. Gardai didn't want to know about it, told me to contact the dog warden, dog warden told me to contact the gardai, I ended up having to track down the owner myself who hadn't a clue he was 'missing' even though he lived in the field next to their house.

Off Topic but they were called to come to disturbance at a premises because a member of the public was smashing the place up, it happened to be a book-makers shop and were more interested in the commentary in the background and who had won the last race :rolleyes:. It took them 3 days to turn up at a shooting incident because they were busy with 'paperwork'. Complete bunch of incompetant imbeciles :mad:. I'm not surprised they didn't want to respond to a report of an incident in the long lane, it's were all the scarey settled travellers live :rolleyes:

you can bet not all gaurds would respond to a pic of a battered pup like this, the gaurd in qeustion was an example of a man being in the wrong job

steddyeddy wrote: »
    you dont need to be a gaurd to know that in fairness

My dog is a pit bull and the gard in the station knew I had to get a muzzle that will cover the entire face not a standard muzzle.

The gards know the law but not the welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

My dog is a pit bull and the gard in the station knew I had to get a muzzle that will cover the entire face not a standard muzzle.

I don't think all of them do know the law, as I've seen photos up of gards petting rotties etc without muzzles on. Now I'm pleased, cos I think its a ridiculous law, but nevertheless, it is the law.

I bet most of them don't know the law about dogs pulling wheeled things on the public highway either;)

well they didnt know that kicking a puppy to death is a crime

This is typical of the guardi in Donegal, they don't want to know much about anything other than where thier next take-away is comming from. I found a stallion wandering on the road and ended up stuck with him for over a month. Guardi didn't want to know about it, told me to contact the dog warden, dog warden told me to contact the guardi, I ended up having to track down the owner myself who hadn't a clue he was 'missing' even though he lived in the field next to their house.

Off Topic but they were called to come to disturbance at a premises because a member of the public was smashing the place up, it happened to be a book-makers shop and were more interested in the commentary in the background and who had won the last race :rolleyes:. It took them 3 days to turn up at a shooting incident because they were busy with 'paperwork'. Complete bunch of incompetant imbeciles :mad:. I'm not surprised they didn't want to respond to a report of an incident in the long lane, it's were all the scarey settled travellers live :rolleyes:

in fairness requirments for being a gaurd are a lot to do with wheter daddy is a gaurd

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bullmccabe2010

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    To be fair, the Gardai really do have more serious things to be worrying about that a dog running out on the road. I know it doesn't sound very compassionate but it's common sense.

I don't want to turn this into a knocking the guards thread, but not being worried about a dog running around traffic is fine until the car swerves and hits a child. Then this may register a little bit of concern. The ad on tv where the dog runs in front of the car causing an accident shows exactly what can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I don't want to turn this into a knocking the guards thread, but not being worried about a dog running around traffic is fine until the car swerves and hits a child. Then this may register a little bit of concern. The ad on tv where the dog runs in front of the car causing an accident shows exactly what can happen.

While you're having the police pre-empting hypothetical chains of events why not just be stricter on who you allow to drive a car. I would imagine someone who swerves to avoid a dog and causes an accident would be in trouble for dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So we make laws & then let the Guards decide whether to implement them.
    I would imagine someone who swerves to avoid a dog and causes an accident would be in trouble for dangerous driving.

When an animal runs out especially at night 99% of people will instinctively swerve. Letting your dog wander is a criminal offence.

We get the police force that we are prepared to accept. If you go to the Guards to report any crime & they refuse to accept your report or allow you to make a statement, then report the Guard. Report them first to the superintendent & make it clear that you are going to complain to the Garda Ombudsman.

The UK had many corrupt & incompetent Police officers until the Police Complaints Commission came into effect. Now UK Police dread complaints because they know that they will be thoroughly investigated. Make it the same for the Ombudsman here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I often have to quote the law to Gardai when I work a cruelty case. However, I have recently met quite few compassionate Guards who are only too happy to assist in cruelty cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

As with anything there's going to be good apples and bad apples, just how many bad apples there are can be debated. However, that a guard didn't know that kicking a pup to death was illegal I don't understand, surely everyone knows that. :confused: Maybe it was more of a case that he didn't want to investigate it.

As for the guard that didn't want to know about the stray dog and just said to let him go again. What if that dog went on to cause a crash, would they then have responded? And saying they have more important things to respond to, it's law they should respond.

It makes me sick to the stomach just thinking that kids of that young of an age are capable of that. When I was a kid I used to give out to my granny for stepping on slatters, I used to pick them up and release them outside. Thats the next generation of murderers right there. :mad: I can only imagine what they're homelife is like to think nothing of doing something like that, however that is no excuse.

By the way there are no pictures in that link (well I can't see one anyways :confused:) just in case somebody didn't want to click on it for that reason. Just all text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

steddyeddy wrote: »
    in fairness requirments for being a gaurd are a lot to do with wheter daddy is a gaurd

In all fairness that is a crap comment, there are plenty of people in the force who had no family members in that line of work my sister being one of them and to be quiet honest about it, it is not a job I would ever like to have or see any other member of my family to have, having spoken to her about some of the things she has had to deal with.

EGAR wrote: »
    I often have to quote the law to Gardai when I work a cruelty case. However, I have recently met quite few compassionate Guards who are only too happy to assist in cruelty cases.

Maybe, because it is an English law dating from 1911, they don't learnt it ;).

At the end of the day it is the number of prosecutions that is a key factor in whether any Police force are enforcing the law. Our prosecution rate is minuscule compared to the UK.

You don't need to have studied law to know that cruelty is wrong. The choice as to whether the Guards prosecute doesn't just depend on the crime but also on who committed the crime. We are not all equal in the eyes of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Maybe it was more of a case that he didn't want to investigate it.

I think that's probably the more likely explanation and hoping that the complainant will fall for the 'nothing to do with us' line and go away.

I have some experience with this and it's not exclusive to the Gardai. This mentality exists throughout our public service (and our nation in general) and while there are some terrific individuals doing great work, it's pot luck who you end up dealing with.

Apathy is one of the very worst characteristics of our country, imo.

Cole wrote: »
    I think that's probably the more likely explanation and hoping that the complainant will fall for the 'nothing to do with us' line and go away.

I have some experience with this and it's not exclusive to the Gardai. This mentality exists throughout our public service (and our nation in general) and while there are some terrific individuals doing great work, it's pot luck who you end up dealing with.

Apathy is one of the very worst characteristics of our country, imo.

The same approach is often used with consumer complaints in the hope that the complainant will give up. People should not have to chase up the Guards but if we don't then they will never take animal law seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MACT1RE

Back seat modding.If you have a problem report the post.Dont respond to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

MACT1RE wrote: »
    You should be ashamed of yourself for making a statement like that. <snip>

If you are offended by a post either ignore it or report it, this the job of the forum moderators.

I blame the parents ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If you are offended by a post either ignore it or report it, this the job of the forum moderators.

Exactly--This thread is up over 24 hours and not one report about it until about 15 minutes ago.And then a couple of users moan about the modding in the forum.

If you dont report we dont know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MACT1RE

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Exactly--This thread is up over 24 hours and not one report about it until about 15 minutes ago.

That says more about the mentality of the posters in this forum and the ability of the Mods to do their job than it does about anything else.

Advertisement