Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric cars (bewbs inside)

Options
  • 01-01-2011 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

(bewbs at 0:14)

Saw this ad on the box. Seem to be making a big push for this year towards electric cars.
    Might be worth getting if your buying a new car this year.
    Save mega monies on petrol and I think the engines only have around two moving parts whereas petrol cars have hundreds, so they should be really reliable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think Eoin Ryan or some other minister wants by 2020 to have something like 10% of the cars on the road which I think works out to be 230,000 to be electric car/hybrid.* Also Israel have a big thing going on with electric cars check so we could copy that model

Edit: added link to prove my story http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1126/transport.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

i will never buy an electric car off a french car maker (peugeot, renault, citroen)

you will never own the batteries you could pay 20-40 grand for a car but you still need to lease the batteries @ €300 a month

i dont know if they have changed this policy yet but that was certainally the case 6 months ago when i was going to import a 99' electric berlingo
    and they said i had to lease the battery

so basically it'll cost you the same or maybe more to drive an electric car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

so basically it'll cost you the same or maybe more to drive an electric car

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Go Green and we TAX you anyway, FOOOOLS! [read fools in the voice of BA ;)]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Boobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Horny feckers aren't yee!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I'd like to get one alright, but would need a decent second hand market in them to be able to afford one.

Also, people keep saying that you charge them at home, then in work - I can tell you there's no way my work would pay for me to charge my car on their bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

You'd see more boobages at a nun's convention!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,935 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dardania wrote: »
    Also, people keep saying that you charge them at home, then in work - I can tell you there's no way my work would pay for me to charge my car on their bill!
    Doesn't seem that far-fetched, really. I could see google already adopting this. Hell their parking lot in SF is already solar-powered. Small businesses won't be quick to adopt this of course, no. But I can imagine that city car parks and corporate car parks would be the first adopters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Might work for a city commute but useless for anything else. 300 km range means you couldn't do Dublin-Cork-Dublin in a single day. If you run out of electrons you can't just fill up at the nearest socket.

Hydrogen fuel cells are the answer to leccy cars. Honda do one in California now called the FCX. Runs like a normal car and only emits water vapour. You can fill them up at petrol stations with hydrogen pumps.

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    Might work for a city commute but useless for anything else. 300 km range means you couldn't do Dublin-Cork-Dublin in a single day. If you run out of electrons you can't just fill up at the nearest socket.

Hydrogen feel cells are the answer to leccy cars. Honda do one in California now called the FCX. Runs like a normal car and only emits water vapour. You can fill them up at petrol stations with hydrogen pumps.
    Don't they blow up quite badly though...(if they crash I mean, not just randomly)

Hydrogen fuel cells are the answer to leccy cars. Honda do one in California now called the FCX. Runs like a normal car and only emits water vapour. You can fill them up at petrol stations with hydrogen pumps.
    Thats where hybrids come into play. Not even Hydrogen, which is further away from mainstream, but cars like the Chevy Volt, which are electric cars but have a backup gas-powered electric generator for extra range.

Bearing in mind, how often do you have to do dublin-cork-dublin? And if the electric car is not viable for you anyway, might as well burn that small amount of gas to re-charge an electric that just plain use a diesel/petrol-burning car. They've done *a lot* of research on commuting though and the vast majority of the populace, even in the states which is very road-oriented, simply don't commute beyond the ranges that are now within the coverage of an electric vehicle.

In the long run - 50 years - Hydrogen will gain more acceptance. But Electric is here right now. And the two will co-mingle: electric-drive cars with hydrogen generators.

Don't they blow up quite badly though...(if they crash I mean, not just randomly)

Nope. That's airships you're thinking of. The fuel cell keeps the hydrogen in an inert state. The yanks would never let them on the road in Cali if there was any safety risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The-Rigger wrote: »
    boobs.
    Boobs.

Is this where if you say something 3 times, it might appear? Like Candyman. Or was that 5?

WindSock wrote: »
    Is this where if you say something 3 times, it might appear? Like Candyman. Or was that 5?
    try it there and see..

Overheal wrote: »

Bearing in mind, how often do you have to do dublin-cork-dublin? And if the electric car is not viable for you anyway, might as well burn that small amount of gas to re-charge an electric that just plain use a diesel/petrol-burning car. They've done *a lot* of research on commuting though and the vast majority of the populace, even in the states which is very road-oriented, simply don't commute beyond the ranges that are now within the coverage of an electric vehicle.

I don't do it often, but the point is that I do it occasionally and I can do it with ease and comfort in my 2 litre turbo diesel. I can also use it to commute into town on a daily basis for less than a euro a day. A petrol or diesel car has a flexibility that a commute only electric car does not.

Hybrids are a stop gap solution to stretch out petrol a little longer until hydrogen is 100% viable. H2 is probably closer than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's time to drive the car forward again... towards people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

cars like the Chevy Volt, which are electric cars but have a backup gas-powered electric generator for extra range.

That's the stupidest automotive design idea in 30 years. It has no merit whatsoever. They didn't want an American car being called a hybrid, so the fudged the hybrid idea until it was unrecognisable. Oh yeah, and it has a battery range of about 60 miles and it's ridiculously heavy. Retards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't do it often, but the point is that I do it occasionally and I can do it with ease and comfort in my 2 litre turbo diesel. I can also use it to commute into town on a daily basis for less than a euro a day. A petrol or diesel car has a flexibility that a commute only electric car does not.

Electric cars aren't viable for long journeys. The range they say is available is in perfect conditions and can't be done by anyone. But if you did have an electric car for your commute the amount of money you save on the daily commute would easily cover hiring a proper car for the occasional Dublin-Cork-Dublin run.

Hybrids are a stop gap solution to stretch out petrol a little longer until hydrogen is 100% viable. H2 is probably closer than you.

Hydrogen can't be used till we have fusion or reliable green electricity, current hydrogen production uses huge amounts of energy to split the H2 out of H2O. There's also the issue that the current petrol/diesel infrastructure will have to be totally replaced for H2 at huge cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Beetlejuice was 3. Candyman was 5.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    That's the stupidest automotive design idea in 30 years. It has no merit whatsoever. They didn't want an American car being called a hybrid, so the fudged the hybrid idea until it was unrecognisable. Oh yeah, and it has a battery range of about 60 miles and it's ridiculously heavy. Retards.
    I think they said similar things about the Sports Utility Vehicle as a concept..

Del2005 wrote: »
    Electric cars aren't viable for long journeys. The range they say is available is in perfect conditions and can't be done by anyone. But if you did have an electric car for your commute the amount of money you save on the daily commute would easily cover hiring a proper car for the occasional Dublin-Cork-Dublin run.

I visit the inlaws on a more regular basis though and that's a 150 mile round trip which would be far more limiting. As for savings, my diesel does almost 70 mpg outside city driving. Hiring a similar size car for a weekend would cost nearly 300 quid.

Hydrogen can't be used till we have fusion or reliable green electricity, current hydrogen production uses huge amounts of energy to split the H2 out of H2O. There's also the issue that the current petrol/diesel infrastructure will have to be totally replaced for H2 at huge cost.

It will take time before you can buy h2 on every forecourt but it will happen. Honda can provide solar panels that will crack water into hydrogen and oxygen if you live somewhere sunny. They are looking at a commercial launch as soon as 2018.

what are you driving stimp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

(.) (.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I visit the inlaws on a more regular basis though and that's a 150 mile round trip which would be far more limiting. As for savings, my diesel does almost 70 mpg outside city driving. Hiring a similar size car for a weekend would cost nearly 300 quid.

It will take time before you can buy h2 on every forecourt but it will happen. Honda can provide solar panels that will crack water into hydrogen and oxygen if you live somewhere sunny. They are looking at a commercial launch as soon as 2018.

Come on...new year notwithstanding, that's a bit far off...

You're right about H2 though, the infrastrucure is (mostly) there - just a few new tanks required for distribution. Maybe H2 production is what excess wind power should be used on...

ome to think of it, a college lecturer of mine always figured that was the best use of excess electricity...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

5 apparently.

boobs, boobs, boobs, boobs, booooooobs.
    :pac:

Dardania wrote: »
    Come on...new year notwithstanding, that's a bit far off...

Yeah - they should be able to crank out a whole new motor tech over a couple of weeks. ;)

The first gen FCX cost a cool million each to build. The current cars come in at 120,000. It will probably take another 7 years to get them down to the 20,000 to 30,000 price range.

EDIT: Boobs

The-Rigger wrote: »
    5 apparently.

boobs, boobs, boobs, boobs, booooooobs.
    :pac:
    bewbs will appear here if someone can tell me how to insert a picture into my post, not a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Five times in a mirror, but it would summon a boob demon, or some kind of evil boob manifestation.
    It would backfire either way, any easy way of summoning our desires always does.
    We must earn our boobs. Only through hard work will we learn to appreciate them.

I'm holding out for the Opel Hindenberg, wer leben autos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Electric cars are about as practical as glass hammers. So I'll wait another 10-15 years to see if they can develop anything based on reality.

Advertisement