Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Castletown to Nenagh

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

amacachi wrote: »
    Just reading through this now has anyone got diagrams or something of the junctions being criticised?

There were images of these junctions posted up earlier on this thread. Here are some pics of Junction 22.

Basically J22 and 23 and very compact GSJs with dangerously sharp turns off and onto the mainline of the motorway. They are an accident waiting to happen.

DSCF3616.jpg

DSCF3626.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Is there much of a saving in those kinds of interchanges over diamonds? Seems silly to stick them there tbh. Also love the 50 speed limit after taking the sharp turn. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Just a quick post to say thanks to everyone for all the updates and photos of this scheme. And indeed for all the updates of all the other schemes. As it looks like there are no major projects for at least 6 months you can take a good rest :-). This was a truly remarkable period and one good legacy of the Tiger years. Once the few remaining motorways are constructed we need to have a look at the national secondaries for improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Looking at the pictures of Junction 22 it does seem very badly designed.

Firstly it does seem strange that they didn't just make the exit lane a straighter exit given that the road turns sharp right after the exit. They could have left a little bit of a chicane effect to slow traffic down on the exit but making the driver turn sharp left, then sharp right seems foolish.

I'm also surprised that they haven't put some sort of barrier between the lanes of the exit road to prevent a car from going straight across the exit road and minimise the possibility of a head on collision at the exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,471 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you're going too fast and there is ice on that road, you'll go straight through that "Exit 22" sign...

Took the motorway as far as Portlaoise last night. Was doing a steady 90/100 the whole way, so it wasn't really a speed test, but got the Carlow turnoff in about 1h10. Had to do 60 all the way from Portlaoise to Carlow - the roads were brutal. All in all (when roads are dry), I should shave about 10-15 minutes off my monthly trips to Carlow to visit my folks.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Jayuu wrote: »
    Looking at the pictures of Junction 22 it does seem very badly designed.

Firstly it does seem strange that they didn't just make the exit lane a straighter exit given that the road turns sharp right after the exit. They could have left a little bit of a chicane effect to slow traffic down on the exit but making the driver turn sharp left, then sharp right seems foolish.

I'm also surprised that they haven't put some sort of barrier between the lanes of the exit road to prevent a car from going straight across the exit road and minimise the possibility of a head on collision at the exit.

The junctions aren't "badly designed" - I've come accross this comment throughout the thread. They're actually designed to the appropriate DMRB standards. The problem is the decision to allow compact junctions on a motorway - This was not a decision taken by the designers of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭lmkman

Was driving the new section yesterday from Laois to Limerick. Met a car coming against me just after the Borris on Ossory interchange. He was driving in the outside lane on icy patch and thick fog. I rang the guards and surprisingly they had got no calls when they rang me back later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The fool probably went right on one of those LiLo's , im amazed at how crap them junctions are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Has the layby on the Castletown to Nenagh scheme been cordoned off? None of the M8 ones have, except the bit just south of Junction 3, but that was never open to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

lmkman wrote: »
    Was driving the new section yesterday from Laois to Limerick. Met a car coming against me just after the Borris on Ossory interchange. He was driving in the outside lane on icy patch and thick fog. I rang the guards and surprisingly they had got no calls when they rang me back later.

WTF?!?!?!!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

As in he was driving the wrong way on the M7??? :eek:

If that is the case - this kinda craziness is happening only a couple of days after it opening, that's insane if it is because of those crazy LiLo junctions :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

tinkerbell wrote: »
    WTF?!?!?!!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

As in he was driving the wrong way on the M7??? :eek:

If that is the case - this kinda craziness is happening only a couple of days after it opening, that's insane if it is because of those crazy LiLo junctions :eek:

Whoever okayed those highly deficient LILO junctions 22 and 23 on the newest stretch of the M7 should be fired. They are a death trap.

An elderly woman in Clare was killed in a head-on collision last year by taking the wrong turn at the end of a LILO junction on the M18 Ennis bypass.

I fear a similar incident will happen on the M7.:(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭lmkman

Happened ok saw the lights coming against me through the fog. Got some fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

It's ridiculous that people can easily get onto motorways going the wrong way, it also says a lot about the standard of driving (which applies to the UK as well as Ireland in my experience).

Don't worry Furet, I'll have filled up either at Holyhead or at the filling station in Dublin Port before I set off for the west, I know better than to expect too much to be open in Ireland early on a bank holiday! ;)

On the general debate about service stations I thin they are an invaluable resource to motorway drivers for all the reasons mentioned. As a tourist now, where you don't go through towns any more you would want things to be easily accessible and open 24 hours, these should have been planned with the road. You can't expect people who don't know the places along the motorway to get off the road and drive around searching for petrol and food, that's not the way to get tourists coming back again and again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A quick IBTL from moi !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dergside

I've used the new section twice now.

On Chritmas Day I used the Birdhill to Roscrea stretch to get to the midlands, avoiding Nenagh, Borrisokane and the bog road to Cloghan - deadly in the cold snap.

This morning I did a run from Dublin city centre to Raheen. From Leeson St bridge to Raheen in an hour and 55 mins, all within the speed limits at all sections. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Got my first look at the junctions in Roscrea today. To say they are a joke doesn't do them justice. An absolute travesty in terms of design. 90 degree turn off a motorway, and then a 90 degree turn the opposite way - all up hill. Coming onto the motorway is worse. In the frosty conditions they'd be a nightmare, downhill and 2 sharp turns onto a motorway. Who the hell designed/signed off on that? Whoever it is shouldn't be let near any sort of design project again. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Kayly

Got my first look at the junctions in Roscrea today. To say they are a joke doesn't do them justice. An absolute travesty in terms of design. 90 degree turn off a motorway, and then a 90 degree turn the opposite way - all up hill. Coming onto the motorway is worse. In the frosty conditions they'd be a nightmare, downhill and 2 sharp turns onto a motorway. Who the hell designed/signed off on that? Whoever it is shouldn't be let near any sort of design project again. :mad:

Yeah I'd agree with you there. I drove it the other day for the first time and the junction is a very weird shape.

I've moved the MSA discussion to the most appropriate thread. I'll keep this open for another while so people can discuss the C-N scheme. Haven't driven it myself yet, and I'm not likely to for another few weeks unfortunately.

NRA press release issued today:
    Speaking today Minister Dempsey welcomed the opening of the final 36 km of motorway on the M7 signalling the completion of the national motorway building programme.

“Today is an historic day. With the opening this afternoon of the final stretch of the M7 the national motorway building programme is now complete on time and in budget. I set out the plans for this programme x number of years ago when I was the then Minister for the Environment and Local Government. It gives me great pleasure to be the Minister responsible on the day this ambitious programme of work is officially completed. The national motorway programme took x number of years and €x billion to complete. We now have 750 km of world standard motorways linking Dublin to the Border, Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford. These motorways are saving lives, slashing journey times, facilitating business, improving the quality of life of those who use them and those who live in the bypassed villages on towns along their course. The NRA estimates the direct economic benefits of the motorway network at €24 billion, based on net present value, an estimate of all benefits now and into the future minus the cost.”

"In 2011 we will spend over €1.2 billion on upgrading and maintaining our important road infrastructure. This investment will continue to contribute significantly to supporting our national competitiveness, job creation and to the achievement of more balanced regional development well into the future."

"For the people of Toomevara, Moneygall, Roscrea and the surrounding area the opening today of this final 36 km of the M7 is long awaited and particularly welcome. This new stretch of motorway will take thousands of vehicles out of their town and village centres and it will cut 10 minutes off average journey times."

Peter Malone, Chairman of the National Roads Authority said;

"The opening of the M7 Castletown to Nenagh scheme completes the entire 180km Limerick to Dublin inter-urban motorway. It also completes the new national motorway network as outlined in the Government’s Transport 21 plan by connecting our nation’s capital to the five major urban centres of Belfast (M1/Border), Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford.  As in all the recently completed motorways there are a number of direct and indirect  benefits, those specifically associated with the completion of the M7 corridor include enhanced road safety, direct access to Shannon International Airport, improved quality of life, greater tourism opportunities and increased economic activity. Additionally, this opening highlights an important accomplishment for the Government, the National Roads Authority and our local authority partners because collectively we have delivered on behalf of the taxpayer 738km of modern motorway that will be of significant benefit for generations to come."  

Overview of the M7 Castletown to Nenagh Motorway

The M7 Castletown to Nenagh Motorway stretches from the townland of Derrinsallagh in County Laois, south of Borris-in-Ossory to the townland to Ballintotty, east of the Nenagh Bypass, in North Tipperary. It joins the existing M7 Dublin to Limerick Motorway at the northern end at the M7 Portlaoise to Cullahill Motorway, and the existing M7 Nenagh to Limerick Motorway at the most easterly junction of the Nenagh Bypass in North Tipperary.

There are 4 interchanges:-
    • Junction 21, Borris-in-Ossory Interchange
    • Junction 22, Roscrea Interchange
    • Junction 23, Moneygall Interchange
    • Junction 24, Nenagh Interchange

The M7 Castletown to Nenagh Motorway was delivered by Laois County Council on behalf of itself, Offaly and North Tipperary County Councils. Laois County Council, through the Kildare National Roads Design Office, carried out all of the preliminary phases of planning and designing for the project and managed it through the construction phase. The Design and Build Contract was awarded in February 2008 to Bowen Somague (BSV) a Portuguese–Irish joint venture with Atkins as Consultants. Construction commenced in February 2008 and was completed in December 2010. White Young Green were Consultants to Laois County Council.
    http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,17732,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Speaking today Minister Dempsey welcomed the opening of the final 36 km of motorway on the M7 signalling the completion of the national motorway building programme.
    “Today is an historic day. With the opening this afternoon of the final stretch of the M7 the national motorway building programme is now complete on time and in budget. I set out the plans for this programme x number of years ago when I was the then Minister for the Environment and Local Government. It gives me great pleasure to be the Minister responsible on the day this ambitious programme of work is officially completed. The national motorway programme took x number of years and €x billion to complete. We now have 750 km of world standard motorways linking Dublin to the Border, Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford. These motorways are saving lives, slashing journey times, facilitating business, improving the quality of life of those who use them and those who live in the bypassed villages on towns along their course. The NRA estimates the direct economic benefits of the motorway network at €24 billion, based on net present value, an estimate of all benefits now and into the future minus the cost.”

What kind of (undated) press release is this to put up on a website? Someone drafted it but I'd love to understand how it got posted!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Surely Brennan, not Dempsey or even Cullen actually drafted the MIU plan seeing as it was all meant to be finished 7 months *before* he became Minister??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

“Today is an historic day.

I think this bit shows Noel the wannabe pensioner didn't actually say this and the rest of the bit is fluff.
    Who in Ireland drops the Haitch? Noel definitely never got an helicopter to or from Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Maybe these LILOs will give more power to the argument that the N7 M50-Naas can be increased to 120kph.

If we can have LILO's on a 120kph stretch then the N7 should be increased to 120kph as well.

Surely the should consider this if the want to delude themselves telling people we have a Motorway from Dublin to Limerick/Cork/Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The LILOs aren't the main issue on the N7. Some of the petrol stations have very bad entry and exit points and there are a number of private entrances that aren't even marked or have slip lanes.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paddy mc 123

Berty wrote: »
    Maybe these LILOs will give more power to the argument that the N7 M50-Naas can be increased to 120kph.

If we can have LILO's on a 120kph stretch then the N7 should be increased to 120kph as well.

Surely the should consider this if the want to delude themselves telling people we have a Motorway from Dublin to Limerick/Cork/Kilkenny.

PLEASE- IT'S km/h NOT KPH! KPH DOES NOT STAND FOR ANYTHING!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Berty wrote: »

Increasing the speed limit does not make it more of a motorway nor does having a lower speed limit make it less of a motorway such as the M50 or port tunnel.

While I do agree having travelled this road many times at night coming from the Motorway at Naas to HQDC therafter, it seems stupid having to slow down on a bigger road when there's little to no traffic. However it becomes more of an issue at peak times when there are high volumes of traffic joining the road from poorly designed slip roads and of course certain petrol stations which have no slip roads making them highly dangerous especially if you where doing 120km/h in the inside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

SHOUTING on the Internet is also annoying. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Sure we're Irish! KPH is grand and it'll do us - and it's easier to type!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Also there is no way I want to be on a D3 motorway/dualler at 120kmh with Irish drivers. Its bad enough on the M50/N7.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What kind of (undated) press release is this to put up on a website? Someone drafted it but I'd love to understand how it got posted!
    I emailed them about that, but no response.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement