Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely Perfect TV for bedroom.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Don't see anything that would suggest it is ready for Saorview which for many people will mean that it will be useless before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭TriStar6

Avns1s wrote: »
    Don't see anything that would suggest it is ready for Saorview which for many people will mean that it will be useless before too long.

Why so? how many people actually only look at the Rte1/2/tv3/tg4 only?
    Practically everyone that watches TV has NTL/UPC/Sky etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

You can throw me in the practically noone bucket so. Only have Rte and tv3 on the tv. Anything else I need is available online. Thanks OP. If I hadn't missed so much work due to weather I might have purchased one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

TriStar6 wrote: »

Incorrect. There are people who have only terrestrial channels and not everyone has Sky multi room for the bedroom (which is what the op says this tv is perfect for)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have not had RTE/TV3 for years, everything via satellite or web so viable option for me and others

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Its exclusive to instore customers (link is uk store) and I don't see it on the irish richersounds site. Aynone seen it in an irish store :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Woodgate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭OldRio

That is quite an assumption.

If you wish to pay Sky to recieve Irish channels that is your choice.
    :eek:

This TV will not be able to recieve any Irish Channels in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭TriStar6

It is simply not true that this TV and others will not be able to receive any Irish channels in a few years time!
    Yes, they might not if they don't have a Saorview compatible tuner built in, but ANY tv (with a scart connection) will be able to access SaorView via a set top box and aerial.
    Also from the budget, though it might not happen of course...
    €3m is to be provided for Digital Terrestrial Television, to include an information campaign and possibly a set top box grant.

TV's with built in Saorview compatible tuners will be "neater", but don't write off other TV's that could be better suited to other people for various reasons such as other built in services/devices or of course...price

"Yes, they might not"
    They will not.

"Perfect T.V. for bedroom"
    The answer is no.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    "Yes, they might not"
    They will not.

"Perfect T.V. for bedroom"
    The answer is no.
    In your opinion

It is simply not true that this TV and others will not be able to receive any Irish channels in a few years time!
    Yes, they might not if they don't have a Saorview compatible tuner built in, but ANY tv (with a scart connection) will be able to access SaorView via a set top box and aerial.
    Also from the budget, though it might not happen of course...
    €3m is to be provided for Digital Terrestrial Television, to include an information campaign and possibly a set top box grant.

TV's with built in Saorview compatible tuners will be "neater", but don't write off other TV's that could be better suited to other people for various reasons such as other built in services/devices or of course...price

TV's without a Saorview compatible tuner must use a set top box (currently €100) or have a Sky et al multiroom sub to be able to function as a tv in the future.

Factor in the cost of these and see if its still such a bargain. If it is, then go ahead and buy it.

Woodgate wrote: »
    In your opinion

And mine!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

A grand tv if you have a box already! Pretty ****e the way it doesnt have an mpeg4 tuner!...

Overall, wouldn't go near it!

The TV does not have Saorview. Therefore it will not recieve digital Irish T.V. that is not an opinion but fact. Please check on the Tech, Terrestrial board if you do not believe me.
    The title of this thread is "Absolutely Perfect TV for bedroom" That was the opinion of the OP.
    Facts and my opinion are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The TV does not have Saorview. Therefore it will not recieve digital Irish T.V. that is not an opinion but fact. Please check on the Tech, Terrestrial board if you do not believe me.
    The title of this thread is "Absolutely Perfect TV for bedroom" That was the opinion of the OP.

Kinda useless if you live in an Area not covered by DVB-T Anyway, could just get a TV with a DVB-S2 reciever builtin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Kinda useless if you live in an Area not covered by DVB-T Anyway, could just get a TV with a DVB-S2 reciever builtin

Then you'd need a satellite as well? :confused:

In all honesty the bulk of people would think this is a good deal, most people have either Sky or UPC or FreeSat etc.. and would be hooking up to that. Saorview has the 4 Irish channels wouldn't bother me if I cant receive it/them on a telly in my bedroom, I think I would survive. So that's my opinion, I think the OP showed us a good deal and it's up to everyone to decide if it suits them or not.

Well woodgate, I would not like to speak for everyone else, unlike you. Nor do I know what other people have in regard to Sat/Cable/Freesat, unlike you.

The TV will not work with RTE digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

mpeg4 according to this?
    http://www.depotec.com/Sony_KDL22PX300_LCD_PS2_22_TDT_HD_WiFi_Internet_Video_HDMI_USB__2765.html
    HD TV Tuner integrated MPEG-4 AVC: forget the set and access to TV services including HD channels with the tuner DVB-T and DVB-C tuner with a decoder. MPEG4 AVC (dependiendo del país y sólo con operadores compatibles). MPEG4 AVC (depending on country and with supported operators only).

• Advertisement

The TV will not work with RTE digital.
    Damn, I'll miss TG4 and Fair City.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

TVs in the bedroom guys............I have a life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I won't speak for everyone but for a tv in the bedroom, the last thing you want is boxes and cables hanging out of it to get Saorview. So in my opinion, it's ok, but not "perfect" for the bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

:confused:

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I have a basic TV and can only watch RTE/TV3/TG4 ....cant afford NTL(Upc)/SKY.

so not practically everyone .... maybe those that can afford it .... and with the budget I'm sure I wont be in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭podge3

Freddie59 wrote: »
    :confused:

Why?
    Complete rubbish.

Are you saying that ALL existing TVs will be useless shortly? :rolleyes:

It would be great if it had an mpeg 4 tuner, but a set top box will overcome this problem.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I have a basic TV and can only watch RTE/TV3/TG4 ....cant afford NTL(Upc)/SKY.
    Have you thought about Freesat?

Aldi/Lidl do a kit ocassionally for less than €100. In fact I think its about €60/70 now. This will give you all the UK channels plus a lot more (mostly) rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

IMO that TV is useless and tiny. PS2?! lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Not really a good bargain at that price imo. It's basically a 22 inch Sony tv, with no Saorview support for £200 (roughly €240 according to xe.com). I'm not even bothering to include the fact that it has a built-in ps2 because a ps2 can be picked up for next to nothing these days - and I'd prefer a standalone ps2 any day. It's fine to play on my 22" in the bedroom, but what about when I have the lads over and we want a bit of 4 player on the 42" in the living room?

It's really just Sony finding a new way to flog any PS2 bits they have left over.

• Advertisement

Page 58 in the Sony manual here indicates that it has an MPEG4 tuner.

Advertisement