Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary O'Rourke Watch

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

She's on The Last Word now advocating nixers and telling Matt Cooper not to be silly.

EDIT:

I don't know if I heard correctly but did she finish by telling Cooper he should try
    living on the old age pension for a week ?

What a neck this woman has.

She's been on Talking History, Newstalk for the last hour discussing Daniel O'Connell. In fairness it was a very good discussion.

Talking History is one of the best programmes on radio.

O'Rourke gave a good contribution, (she can be interesting when she's not talking about contemporary politics) but throughout the programme, I couldn't help thinking she was one sentence away from mentioning the many heated debates herself and Dan had back in the day !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thank God for Mammy during a crisis is what I say!

Beat ye to it lads.

Sorry I didn't take bets now :D

EDIT:
    Damn you mike65

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

News at One now...jesus she's everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Has she confirmed she's standing? She must be at this stage?

At her age? Only with a Zimmer frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

shes on again now on matt cooper with her usual waffle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Think she was just on 98fm saying there was no waste!
    I'm sorry I missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Love to see her response to Cowen's speech tonight - does she still want a debate on his leadership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mary is on Lunchtime on Newstalk AGAIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

She's a vile harridan but every radio station and that womans shyte Midday on TV3 love her for some unknown reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

the cackle, the cackle FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

It's at the stage, now, that you would begin to question if she is on newstalk's payroll.

'Lunchtime with Damo, John and Mammy O'Rourke.'

gambiaman wrote: »
    the cackle, the cackle FFS!

Just heard that on the repeat.

Cackling was the only way she could respond to the truth as spoken by John Drennan on the programme.

She's fooling nobody anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Mammy was stirring the pot on Kenny show this morning.
    Kenny spent the best part of the first hour lamenting the demise of FF in the RedC poll....to listen to it you'd think someone had died.
    An afterparty political broadcast :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Wertz wrote: »
    Kenny spent the best part of the first hour lamenting the demise of FF in the RedC poll....to listen to it you'd think someone had died.

lamenting? are you serious? lamenting???! He couldn't keep the delight out of his voice!

tbh wrote: »
    lamenting? are you serious? lamenting???! He couldn't keep the delight out of his voice!

He (or his producers) gave them more than enough airtime, which IMO is a consolation of sorts and more than most of them deserve...I wasn't particularly paying attention to what Kenny had to say, I was too busy laughing at the delusion of some of the FF contributors.

[edit] Perhaps it would have been better phrased if I'd have said that Kenny (over)indulged the lamentations from the FF contributors themselves...

He (or his producers) gave them more than enough airtime, which IMO is a consolation of sorts and more than most of them deserve...I wasn't particularly paying attention to what Kenny had to say, I was too busy laughing at the delusion of some of the FF contributors.

[edit] Perhaps it would have been better phrased if I'd have said that Kenny (over)indulged the lamentations from the FF contributors themselves...

I understand what you mean now -I read lamenting as mourning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Missed the first 20 mins but caught the tailend and sounded all very satisfying. Must listen to the podcast later. Sounds like epic radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

telekon wrote: »
    Missed the first 20 mins but caught the tailend and sounded all very satisfying.

I heard her saying on some show the other day (god only knows what show, she's on ALL of them ffs) that she will be contesting the next election... I think this is a really naive decision on her part... She will get annihilated.. If she thought 2002 was embarrassing, she probably wont even had the consolation prize of being one of the Taoiseach's pick (since the Taoiseach wont be FF) for the Seanad this time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

FF, if it chooses to, could cut RTE's budget by 55 million euro next Tuesday. So I wouldn't expect RTE to do anything to piss them off between now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Rubik. wrote: »
    FF, if it chooses to, could cut RTE's budget by 55 million euro next Tuesday. So I wouldn't expect RTE to do anything to piss them off between now and then.

And abolish the license fee. It's only justified in the event that the stations don't play advertisements which they do. If TV3 can do it then why the hell can't RTE.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    And abolish the license fee. It's only justified in the event that the stations don't play advertisements which they do. If TV3 can do it then why the hell can't RTE.

have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

I googled a list of countries who have license fee + advertising, but funnily enough a lot of European countries have much higher fees than us - I was surprised.

Not the whole licence fee, no. Back in November, Dick Roach came out with this statement on the Government paying RTE 55 million euro for old age pensioners TV licences...

"That money is paid by the Taxpayer to RTE. At a time when every other area is being looked at, it is inappropriate. In the current context it has to be looked at".

This is bound to have sent shudders around Montrose and it was meant to. It was a very unsubtle way of keeping RTE in line.

Rubik. wrote: »
    FF, if it chooses to, could cut RTE's budget by 55 million euro next Tuesday.

That would be a rarely laudable act on FF's behalf, if it weren't for the fact that people in their 70's and 80's would then be expected to stump up the €160 themselves or face freezing/starvation/gaol house.

I think there are big changes ahead at RTÉ regardless of who forms the next government...

That would be a rarely laudable act on FF's behalf, if it weren't for the fact that people in their 70's and 80's would then be expected to stump up the €160 themselves or face freezing/starvation/gaol house.

Roach's suggestion was for the Broadcasting Act to be changed so OAP's would still get the free licence, but no subsidy would be given to RTE for it. Thereby slashing RTE's budget in one go

The background was a FF party meeting where FF backbenchers repeatedly complained about what they perceived to be RTE's "relentless negativity" in its coverage of the party. Pat Kenny's Frontline was singled out for particular criticism.

It's an empty threat, they won't do it, but it is not empty enough that RTE can afford to ignore it. Whether RTE have changed their coverage of FF in the meantime is a matter of opinion. I'm inclined to think they have, Pat Kenny's Friday gathering today being a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ah, ok, not a fan of RTE by any means but TV3? Come on! Fine if you want your tv to be of the calibre of Xposé, Take Me Out, I'm a Celebrity, X Factor and soaps......take Vincent Browne off TV3 and it would never, ever be watched by anyone other than FM104 (or 96FM in Cork) listeners and The Star readers. I'm surprised they haven't poached Joe Duffy.......

• Advertisement

See it's ideas like that that would almost make me vote for the like of Roach.
    Almost.

[edit] That said, I imagine in reality such a move would be a disaster for the normal license fee payer who would be lumbered with making up the shortfall brought on by a €55M cut

Advertisement