Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is a good place to emigrate to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

well, when I'm old enough I'm moving to Australia or Canada, really sick of this county :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Canada would be nice. Pretty much anywhere where the main language is English could probably be considered though. Anywhere but Ireland at this stage like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Its not that easy to just up and leave.

The US isn't easy to get into legally... you need qualifications and a sponsor.
    Canada/Australia... a little easier to get in from what I hear but I don't think they are crying out for tradesmen like we heard 5 and 10 years ago. I know of a lot of people going all that way to be disappointed.

If you can get something at home or in the UK I think you are doing yourself much more justice.
    Yeah, ok, we all heard the headlines but there ARE still jobs in Ireland... things aren't great but theres still jobs..

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Copper23 wrote: »
    Its not that easy to just up and leave.

The US isn't easy to get into legally... you need qualifications and a sponsor.
    Canada/Australia... a little easier to get in from what I hear but I don't think they are crying out for tradesmen like we heard 5 and 10 years ago. I know of a lot of people going all that way to be disappointed.

If you can get something at home or in the UK I think you are doing yourself much more justice.
    Yeah, ok, we all heard the headlines but there ARE still jobs in Ireland... things aren't great but theres still jobs..

do you think IT will be a trade one day ? :D what if you have family over there would that make a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Craggy Island, they have taken in the roads this time of year though, be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

cork city boi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Sheeps wrote: »
    horrible failed abortion attempts at being funny
    Funniest term I've heard in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

What about France? I might go there. Do they all speak English in Paris?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

The Diomede Islands. It's in between Russia and Alaska.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

What about France? I might go there. Do they all speak English in Paris?

Grand helpful peope they will help you along if you don't know French.
    Try Switzerland nice country in the middle of Europe easy to get to lots of European cities easily, low taxes, hugely efficient public transport.
    P eople are odd, no sense of humour

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

brazil. Their economy is about expand at an insane rate. Will be crying out for degrees in IT and sciences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Also I would look into some of the stans

Khazakstan, Pakistan, Turkmenistan

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's almost like you are all incapable of being able to write responses to this thread that are not horrible failed abortion attempts at being funny (apart from sollar who actually wrote a genuine response). The question in the OP was a serious one.

Try one of the travel forums if you don't want the AH response tbh. If you're distinctly unhappy with the quality of answers PM me and I can remove your access to the failed abortion attempts at being funny forum right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

With all this weather we've been having I think somewhere warm would be nice, so maybe Oz. I'd love to have Xmas on the beach with a few cold ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't mind the cold, but I have got to get more sunshine as I get older. Most folks at this latitude (54° N) are running low on Vitamin D for half the year - so I'm taking supplements, but I've got to get closer to the Equator, eventually. (More on Vitamin D here.)

The rough guide to getting enough sunshine all year is to be at about 42° latitude or nearer the equator. For example, most of Canada is north of the 49° line, but Toronto is under 44°, so that's an option. Last summer I was in Houston (just under 30° N), and I've been to Dubai (25°N), but the heat's a problem in both those cities. I'm in no hurry to revisit Bangalore (13°N). :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

All suggestions are welcome. If you had the option to emigrate, where would you go?

With a user name like yours I recommend New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Kazakhstan and Poland are supposedly the places to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

glad you mentioned toronto, heading there in january. think i should head outside in shorts and a t-shirt for the next week. good conditioning for jan and feb over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Don Juan DeMagoo

Asia is an eye opening experience, if you are are willing to learn their languages and customs.

Stay away from Oz unless you want to meet up with your extended family, neighbours, friends, enemies and possible local counselor. What are the odds? Frankly too high:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

Seaneh wrote: »
    brazil. Their economy is about expand at an insane rate. Will be crying out for degrees in IT and sciences.
    Agreed - Brazil is good, especially the south seems to growing well and their currency is always getting stronger. In general I think South American economies are growing (at some rate), although wages are really low.

I've been living in Buenos Aires, Argentina the last year but going back to Ireland in the new year. It's a nice place to live, nice country, although I wouldn't want to live here forever. No matter how messed up Ireland is, living in a 3rd world country really puts your perspective on what problems really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Asia is an eye opening experience, if you are are willing to learn their languages and customs.

Stay away from Oz unless you want to meet up with your extended family, neighbours, friends, enemies and possible local counselor. What are the odds? Frankly too high:rolleyes:

Why do people think Oz is like this? I wish it was, but its not.
    You dont awkwardly bump into people you know from ireland in the local shop every other day. Maybe you would meet a lot of irish in central sydney, but if you're adverse to irish contact, why not move to the outback? or even to a different suburb?

Personally, id love if there was more Irish where i am. I would welcome extended family, neighbours and friends with open arms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

mandrake04 wrote: »
    With a user name like yours I recommend New Zealand.

Or Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

edmonton is lovely in winter time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Asia. Great place.

Avoid the Carribbean at all costs.

People say Canada without realising how much the place differs from city to city. I have a number of Canadian friends from Vancouver who basically consider that they have emigrated by moving to Montreal. It seems to be a much bigger change than an Irish person heading to UK or even Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭bnt

rossie1977 wrote: »
    edmonton is lovely in winter time
    I've been there in January: out walking in -25°, and it was so bright I would have gone snow blind if not for my specs. (They get about 50% more sunshine hours there than we do in Ireland, despite being at the same latitude as Dublin.) It dropped to -30° overnight, the wind kicked up, and you can bet I stayed in - yet there are homeless guys on the street, as the article describes. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Virtually everyone speaks English in Netherlands if it interests you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Kazakhstan and Poland are supposedly the places to be.

Naw, I live in Poland and it's pretty hard to save any money every month, food and beer are cheap but everything else is expensive when compared to the wage you'll earn...there's plenty of jobs for English speakers though...just don't expect to make a fortune...oh & it fuddermuckin cold this time of year too although summer's are great...Polish ladies are fantastic too.
    But you should learn some of the lingo before you move here, only the younger people speak some English...sounds like I'm being totally negative...well, I'm not it's a great place and really really beautiful but if you do move here you won't go back to Ireland a millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Anywhere in the EU is easiest. Don't require visas, freedom of movement, same currency (mostly), 2 hour max time difference and not more than 2 hours flight back at any time.

Jobs a plenty here in Germany, language is easy, wages are decent but taxes are high from having to bail out failed states :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I'd say Norway, but I'm biased because I already emigrated to there, it's great :D

Advertisement