Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Dublin ever Irish?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

A question that popped into my head today that I thought some people might have fun with, along the lines of the thread about Ireland's celtic heritage (or not). Tbh I have no strong views on this, but it strikes me that the town was founded by Vikings, and was inhabited by English settlers for a long long time. was the town ever really Irish? What about the county?
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

What's this - a Jackeen bashing thread?:D

Seriously though, you have to define what you mean by 'Irish' first. Is it being defined by ethnic group, culture , customs, language, political choice, or what?

My ancestors go back to almost the beginning of "Dublin" and always considered themselves AFAIK to be Irish. We have Norman, Huguenot, Gaelic surnames in the family tree - but I would call them all 'Irish'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

This comes back to the age old question, what is an Irish person ?

Some people would take a narrow, simplistic notion of what it means to be Irish. If you take that view then Dublin would not have been an Irish town in it's early years.

Dublin was a Viking settlement and then the English took a more dominant role later.

My own view is that the people who were born, lived, and died in Dublin were indeed Irish and that Dublin has been an Irish town/city for a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I would say that within 'the Pale' we have always been somewhat different to the surrounding counties due to the ancient ethnic mix of Vikings, Normans, Anglo Irish, Celts, Huguenots, Scots, English, Anglo Saxons, etc etc etc . . . . .

Being Irish means different things to different people today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Plus you have the statutes of Kilkenny when settlers became "more Irish then the Irish themselves"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

MarchDub wrote: »
    What's this - a Jackeen bashing thread?:D

Seriously though, you have to define what you mean by 'Irish' first. Is it being defined by ethnic group, culture , customs, language, political choice, or what?

My ancestors go back to almost the beginning of "Dublin" and always considered themselves AFAIK to be Irish. We have Norman, Huguenot, Gaelic surnames in the family tree - but I would call them all 'Irish'.

well, its open to anyone to define Irishness for themselves, but there are two periods when nationalism or nationality are argued to have emerged, in the medieval period and around 1750-1840s. By either of those measures Dublin could be seen as not Irish, wheras the rest of the country would be seen as Irish in the medieval period at the very least. That's just one measure of identity though, and I will come back later to discuss others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

One measure I have some information on is the linguistic one. In 1590 Dublin was almost totally Irish speaking. In the 1600s several members of the English aristocracy (whatever "English" means), were trained in classical Irish, that is they had Bardic training.

So Dublin was "Irish" linguistically in the late 16th and early 17th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

A facinating question.

What was its relationship to the rest of Ireland. as a walled City.Was it a garrison city, for instance, how did it see itself allegience wise -as part of Greater Irelnd or a sort of "City State".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As said Dublin and the Pale was a mix of people, settlers, Celts, Vikings, Normans, Anglo Saxons and more.

And what people didn't expect was the Norman lords became "more Irish then the Irish themselves"
    I posted that already

So for a long time there was no Royal army in Ireland, the Norman lords formed allegiences and worked with the Gaelic lords/chiefs.

The Statutes of Kilkenny were introduced in 1366 banning marraige between British settlers and the local people. Other restrictions such as the use of the Irish language and Brehon law.
    But this is Ireland where we have many laws often ignored (the same today:D )and coming up to the Tudor period, not much had changed at all

The Earls of Kildare has some control. You probably studied Silken Thomas in school and that failure lead to increased Tudor control in Ireland and the policy of surrender and re-grant. And the declaration of Henry VIII as King of Ireland.

Realy before all this, everything was local, you owed your allegiance to the local chief.
    Is it that much different to the end of the War of Independance when Dublin ordered one thing and your local commandant followed another? You follow your commandant!

So realy if you were in Donegal or Kerryy you know who your chief is.
    Further east it's different. In Tipperary we had the Earl of Ormonde and over the next few centuries the Dukedom of Ormond.

A

The Statutes of Kilkenny were introduced in 1366 banning marraige between British settlers and the local people. Other restrictions such as the use of the Irish language and Brehon law.
    But this is Ireland where we have many laws often ignored (the same today:D )and coming up to the Tudor period, not much had changed at all

The Earls of Kildare has some control. You probably studied Silken Thomas in school and that failure lead to increased Tudor control in Ireland and the policy of surrender and re-grant. And the declaration of Henry VIII as King of Ireland.

Even the Pale was not an area segregated from the rest of Ireland as regards customs and language. Like you say the Statutes of Kilkenny failed in their attempt to ban intermarriage and even the banning of any inter-ethnic sexual relations. The laws banning Irish customs - like an Irish hair cut! - Brehon law and a mountain of other 'banned' customs were all ignored in Ireland. The FitzGeralds intermarried with ease in the Gaelic families. The Great Earl Garret Mor FitzGerald's sister was married to one of the O'Neills and his daughter married into the O'Connors and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Whats an Irish hair cut?

• Advertisement

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Whats an Irish hair cut?

I don't recall at the moment what it was called but it was a hairstyle that had the hair cut - shaved - at the back of the head and the front had a sort of fringe hair hanging over the eyes. I'll try and find a picture of one of them on the web -

The problem was that the Norman settlers had assimilated so much that they even 'looked' like the Irish and this was a concern for the English authorities.

Found the Durer picture of the Irish Kerns. You can see the hairstyle of the two guys at the back. This haircut remained an issue well into the Tudor period.

durer.jpg?w=400&h=300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I don't recall at the moment what it was called but it was a hairstyle that had the hair cut - shaved - at the back of the head and the front had a sort of fringe hair hanging over the eyes. I'll try and find a picture of one of them on the web -

The problem was that the Norman settlers had assimilated so much that they even 'looked' like the Irish and this was a concern for the English authorities.

Was this the same style of the 'Croppies' of 1798?

I remember in school being told that they were banned from growing a moustache as this was considered an Irish tradition

I don't recall at the moment what it was called

Is it called "the glib"

Yes, it's called a Glibb or sometimes spelled Glybbe and is mentioned as early as the first parliament session held in Dublin in the late thirteenth century as being an issue because the Norman settlers had adopted it as a style.

The long Irish cloak was also banned as a style.

V480 wrote: »
    Was this the same style of the 'Croppies' of 1798?

It has been suggested that the style likely had some influence on the croppies- who were also influenced by French revolutionary styles.

V480 wrote: »
    I remember in school being told that they were banned from growing a moustache as this was considered an Irish tradition

Yes, the mustache was considered part of the old Irish style. You can see the mustaches in the Durer picture I posted previously.

Quite cosmopolitan 13th Century Chic.

Those long haired Normans and Vikings had nits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

CDfm wrote: »
    A facinating question.

What was its relationship to the rest of Ireland. as a walled City.Was it a garrison city, for instance, how did it see itself allegience wise -as part of Greater Irelnd or a sort of "City State".
    Depends on the time period in question. Under the Vikings, once they had been allowed to remain, it was effectively a Tuath, but internally run more like a Viking kingdom would be. Within Ireland, Dublin was subservient to the Ui Dunlainge up until the Battle of Clontarf, and after that, the Ui Neill became dominant. When the Anglo-Normans took over, and expanded it to the Pale, it was effectively an exclave of England, and therefore a completely separate entity to the rest of Ireland, not subservient to any of the High Kings. Obviously then when Ireland was finally fully conquered, Dublin was once again part of the same entity as the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,148 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The OP is prehaps implicitly referring to the apparent cultural difference between Dublin and the rest of country that exists today.

There is no doubt there's a huge difference between Dublin and country people - all you have to do is to look at mass attendances - they're still very high in counties outside of Dublin and virtually non-existent in some Dublin areas.

Why?

Dublin was the main trading post with Britain for hundreds of years, the seat of political power was in Dublin until 1800 (where English was spoken), Trinity was in Dublin, some reasons perhaps.

The Mohowk Hairstyle is also Irish
    The Story: Up until a few years ago, no one would have questioned the mohawk's roots. However, in 2003, an Irish peat harvester made a discovery that would change the hairstyle's history forever -- a 2,300-year-old corpse, remarkably well preserved by the unique chemistry of a peat bog, sporting a bonafide 'hawk.

pixel.gif
    The Shocker: The ancient Irish punker, dubbed Clonycavan Man, had gel in his hair, which archaeologists determined was made from vegetable oil mixed with a resin from southwestern France or Spain. Imported hair product? Today, scientists are still working hard to determine whether Clony was a prehistoric punker or just an Iron Age metrosexual.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2007-07-20/living/bad.hair_1_hairstyles-18th-century-france?_s=PM:LIVING

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The OP is prehaps implicitly referring to the apparent cultural difference between Dublin and the rest of country that exists today.

Honestly I hadn't that in mind but it is something you could discuss, I think its fair to say that Dublin was probably one of the most colonised areas of Ireland especially throughout the 18/19th century, but pretty much throughout the history of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Dublin is pre Viking and is derived from Dubh Linn ( Black pool) referring to a dark tidal pool where the river Poddle entered the Liffey near the site of Dublin Castle. There is mention of a settlement there pre Viking, in the Book of Invasions and the Annals of the Four Masters. The Vikings adopted the name as Dyflin and it survives today ofcourse as Dublin.

And while I'm at it, Baile Atha Cliath (meaning "town of the hurdled ford") referred to a settlement near a ford on the opposite bank of the Liffey. It's where Church Street meets the Liffey to those of familiar with the city. A settlement grew up on that side to be later incorporated into the rest of the city.

So Dublin itself - Irish or foreign- what can we say about demographics

988 -founded by the Danes/Vikings

controlled by the Irish for 3 short periods

1171 Danes expelled by Anglo/Normans and Henry II then it was a walled city

1649 - Walls taken down following English Civil War Population Circa 9,000 -grew with the arrival European Protestant Refugees ( Hugenots ) which continued for the next century

1829 Somewhere since then probably with Catholic Emancipation you had integration

http://www.dublinuncovered.net/history.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

So Dublin itself - Irish or foreign- what can we say about demographics

988 -founded by the Danes/Vikings
    It was founded long before 988. The Irish subdued Dublin in 988/89, and wanted a millennium to celebrate in the mid/late 1980's, hence the 988 "founding" date. There was a settlement there for at least about 1000 years prior to 988.
    controlled by the Irish for 3 short periods
    It was controlled by the Irish for most of its existence up until the Anglo-Normans arrived. The Vikings had it for a while until they were kicked out in the 9th Century, or there abouts, and when they came back to resettle it, they soon after became subordinate to the High King of Leinster. (988/89)
    1171 Danes expelled by Anglo/Normans and Henry II then it was a walled city
    The people weren't expelled, but their King was removed, I think killed but can't be sure off the top of my head. They retained their own culture for a while afterwards before adapting to the new one that had invaded.

I tried to look up a demographic history of Dublin but its difficult to find.

We know that we had Danes, Anglo Normans, A small Jewish population & Hugenots.

Who lived in the walled city to 1649 - what was its composition as surely that is an important indicator.

One the best books on Dublin is Maurice Craig s' DUBLIN published in 1952.

I've had my copy for years and love to just root around inside of it. It's not a history as such - he says as much in his Preface - because his aim was to describe how the city grew and developed and not to cite all the important events of any period.

Demographics are hard to figure in the days before a census. Incidentally the population figures that are frequently given for Ireland and Dublin at early periods are usually based on Sir Wiliam Petty's 'estimated' numbers but I should point out that these 'figures' have come under attack in recent times.

Who lived in the walled city to 1649 - what was its composition as surely that is an important indicator.

There were a few MarchDubs wandering around - that I can tell you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The United Irishmen considered themselves Irish. They were mainly Dublin and Belfast bourgeois. In my book that makes Dublin (and Belfast) Irish.

There were a few MarchDubs wandering around - that I can tell you.

Ya don't mean :eek:

I get the feeling here that the Dubs are holding something back !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

I tried to look up a demographic history of Dublin but its difficult to find.

is there a reason you say danes? i mean as apposed to swedish or norwegian?

Advertisement