Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst designed town in Ireland?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 1:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

This could be a really long thread. It was inspired by somebody on another thread saying Naas had to be the worst designed town in Ireland.

I think Bettystown in Meath is abysmally designed. Sitting next to one of the country's sandiest beaches, the planning people allowed an amusement arcade to be plonked right in the centre at the junction. I wonder how much the town and that part of east Meath loses in tourism revenue simply by scaring off tourists (nobody seems to think of the economic consequences of bad planning)

I was in Sligo town for the first time the other weekend, and it's all over the place. There's no central meeting place, no square, no fountain or anything really which could form the centrepiece of the community.

What town turns your stomach in the badly-designed stakes?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dundalk. Co Louth. What a disorganised mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

A city rather than a town but Waterford is an abysmal place. Driving there is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Blessington.

You have a "road" of the same quality as a dirt track running through the centre of it, with some nondescript parking and shopping either side of the road, without any kind of lines or signs or right-of-ways. The whole place is just one big chaotic mess, people drive whereever they want going whatever direction they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Ah Blanchardstown. How many traffic lights can one fit within a three mile area? Get stuck in a jam around there and it's game over. Too many exits from the centre all leading to the exact same 3/4 routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

New Ross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Theres designed towns in Ireland? Holy jaysus.....I thought they just built bits as they called in the bribes had the land rezoned...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Thread destined to turn into another stinkin culchies vs heroin addicts slanging match.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

I think Limerick city is a bit of a mess, when they were building up the city centre they should have move its main shopping areas down onto the water front, I hear the council has been planning for some time to try do this but I doubt anything will happen now with the way the economy is. Also areas like Corbally in Limerick are a nightmare during rush hour and the dublin road, the are a lot of areas in corbally which werent built for so much traffic and now there are housing estates every where. I think Limerick reley needs some series redevelopment to make it more attractive to the tourist and the locals. Cruises street the main shopping street in Limerick has lost alot of its main shops and have been turned into more bloody phone shops, Limerick city centre has way to many phone shops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The town hall in Bray is the most charming building in the town, situated at the peak of the Main Street. What do they do? Give it to McDonalds :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Dunmore and that tiny bottleneck of a main road that's about as wide as an anorexic puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'd have to say Shannon. Was a town that was actually designed. Doesn't have a main street. Just one big housing estate really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Carlow.

The town isn't as bad to drive through since the bypass to Dublin was opened.
    However, the design of many of the junctions & roundabouts & the locations of ped crossings is dangerous as fu<k in that town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Rebelheart wrote: »
    What town turns your stomach in the badly-designed stakes?

The tackiest of games arcades and 4-D cinemas being allowed to operate on the capital's main street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

seamus wrote: »
    Blessington.

You have a "road" of the same quality as a dirt track running through the centre of it, with some nondescript parking and shopping either side of the road, without any kind of lines or signs or right-of-ways. The whole place is just one big chaotic mess, people drive whereever they want going whatever direction they want.

I have to agree with you there ,try and get somewhere to park from 8am onwards you'll be lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Thread destined to turn into another stinkin culchies vs heroin addicts slanging match.

Considering how Tallaght, Finglas and the like were 'designed', I think not...except perhaps in a 'Mr Pot & Mr Kettle' sort of way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

shannon, adamstown etc are all "planned" towns, but theyve ended up completely soul-less.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Sligo is fairly bad its like a one way system around the outskirts of the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Cianos wrote: »
    The town hall in Bray is the most charming building in the town, situated at the peak of the Main Street. What do they do? Give it to McDonalds :rolleyes:

Haha, I'm guessing that has to be the fanciest looking McDonalds branch in Ireland (if not the world?). Pity about the crap on offer inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Letterkenny town centre. Serveral retail parks all with their own car park, a hotel amongst them, a main street with a couple of multi stories off it, 2 shopping centres, one 4 laned main road in and out with a 80km speed limit on with serveral warehouse stores on it and the IT, whole lot connected by a network of one way systems. Roundabout after roundabout.

Nightmare to drive around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Does Mahon Point shopping centre in Cork count? It only has one entrance / exit and as a consequence long tailbacks at peak hours (evenings, particularly on Thursdays and Fridays) are the norm in the general area, whether you're going in there or not. If I could find the "planner" I'd make them sit in one and see how they like it. :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Longford's easily the worst. A few one way streets where there shouldn't be, due to huge volumes of traffic.

Half of the towns businesses are dead

It takes nearly 40 minutes to walk out to the town's bowling alley, which incidently, doesn't even half a footpath for about 20% of the way, you gotta walk along a main road instead. There's many more fleeting businesses out that way which are similarly placed.

Argos, Mc Donalds and Homebase are so far out of Longford town, it's technically not in the town at all.

Heck it's so bad, Tesco applied for a relocation to the edge of the town, instead of the heart of it(where it is now). It's a complete joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

I know geological issues had a great effect, but Cork city looks like it was laid out by a bunch of tweakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Athy town has to be the worst place for me. Everytime you try to get in either side the traffic is backed up.
    Worse again they built a brand new connection to the M7 to it and put it bringing the traffic through the town rather than a by pass to the far side.

People from my area actually go to Carlow instead even though its an extra 10 mins in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Gort, streets look like the US have been practising Shock and Awe there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bless your heart Galway, but congestion is your middle name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Have to agree with Sligo and Blessington. Couldn't get over how awkward Sligo was when i'd to go up there last year.

Gort is another one. Woeful town altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Tyrellstown..thousands of substandard housing units thrown together on top of each other in the middle of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Tipperary town, mainly because the main road N24 passes through its main street which is where all other traffic must go too, its a grey dismal mess, they cannot really fix it up till a by pass is built, there is no real alternative to getting around the town without ending up on the main st....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Fermoy in cork.....you'll know why if you've ever had to drive through it.

Advertisement