Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starcraft makes poker players millonaires how?

Options
  • 31-10-2010 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

i never played star craft and i dont no really anything about it but there is a lot of profesional poker players who started playing star craft and eventualy went on to win millions at star craft im just wondring why any body know :S

[MOD EDIT] website advertising is a no no [/MOD EDIT]

if anybody does play star craft and went onto make money at poker, or doesnt know how to play poker i would like if maybe i could be thought how the concept of star craft works and maybe i could give them a few poker tips, star crafts strategy seems to help poker id love to find a few secrets :) pm me if you like to chat poker/starcraft maybe help each other out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

They both require analytical thinking and on the spot decision making plus some ability to read your opponent/s, and they both require you to be able to sit down for hours every day to get to the top. I doubt there's any specific skills that would transfer over, they just both require the same type of thinking and a lot of dedication.

What level starcraft/poker player are you looking for? I've been kinda meaning to try poker for ages and I could probably get you to a reasonable level at starcraft fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭JayoFella

well there is a poker player called david williams who is supposedly a very good star craft player and is in my opinion a great poker player and he says is poker play comes from star craft and there is various asian players who play srat craft and picked up poker as a hobbey and now are great players,

i have absolutly no idea what star craft is i actualy sat one time thought it was a board game but id like to learn the game,

if you looking to get into poker i play about 70 hours of poker a week and i read and work alot on heads up play, i could help you get the grips with poker if you can master heads up play you will be a good player its one of the hardest styles in poker but with so many people starting to play heads up its a fountain of potential for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

I'd never heard of that David Williams guy, but yeh there's quite a few starcraft players that got good at poker, I can think of a few from other games that have picked it up too. Although I guess there's probably loads of sc players that tried poker and didn't get good at it that we never hear about..

Best way to get into starcraft is probably just to watch some games on youtube, obviously you won't have a clue what's going on but you can probably figure out the basics of how the game works. Here's a cool one to get you started (also showcases some classic raging from IdrA):

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGQnnMvlAPQ
    part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll1lDxPpbHQ
    part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkUY5A9uPvU
    part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfBYCvEsnlQ

If you think it looks cool buy the game and start playing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

facepalming.gif

ye thanks man looks good ill be watching a few them tonight check out the link in my op there is great articles for begging players although you might not get the free $50 if you cant pass the quiz, ill help you pass the quiz if you want, but you shold dfo check out the begginners videos they give you the need to know stuff, starting hands, postion, times best, push raises, steals etc all need to know thigs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I've heard this said alot too, it's quite similar to Magic in that reading other players and making decisions on how to play based of both seen and unseen information are important aspects. Found a thread on teamliquid (a big SC community site) about this. As far as I know they have an affiliated poker sight, liquidpoker.net, which has alot of players who moved from SC to poker post apparently.

wow alot of interesting links in this link good stuff man

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The reason alot of SC2 players play poker, is because its a game most pro gamers play with each other, when not playing games.

These guys do have alot of spare cash on them, and when your gathered with fellas in the same boat, poker inevitably is played.

There is absolutely zero connection between the two other then that imo.

I play alot of games, and play alot of poker, and one doesnt benefit the other. It similar to celebs and footballers who you see on the telly poker, when your young and getting alot of cash, what else you going to do, plus its an adrenaline rush game.

It has nothing to do with Starcraft , its just young gamers in general. And there is no one who has made millions from playing starcraft coming from poker or vice versa
    but there is a lot of profesional poker players who started playing star craft and eventualy went on to win millions at star craft im just wondring why any body know :S

Assume you mean Starcraft to poker.

Either or I'd like to see the people involved and some stats to back that up, cause I don't really believe that for a second.

The rise of gambling and poker in e-sports was just the next step. I was with Sk-Gaming when they first launched sk poker and it pretty much just came from in house. We used to just "joke2 bet on who would win what games/matches or tournaments.

Soon enough one of the guys put one and one together and wondered if everyone else chooses winners for games. After a survey, shabang, along came betting on matches, and quickly after online poker.

you want stats google a poker player called elky im sure you will find stats he started playing starcraft and other games and in the last year or 2 has one many mtt's in poker in he didnt have a clue about poker a few years ago but so many of his "gamer" friends said poker could be cracked and they did it, now i think he is going back to play starcraft professionaly ( for money i assume)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

JayoFella wrote: »
    you want stats google a poker player called elky im sure you will find stats he started playing starcraft and other games and in the last year or 2 has one many mtt's in poker in he didnt have a clue about poker a few years ago but so many of his "gamer" friends said poker could be cracked and they did it, now i think he is going back to play starcraft professionaly ( for money i assume)

Sit on the internet playing poker all day, reading poker forums, watching poker videos, studying other poker players.

Sit on the internet playing starcraft all day, reading starcraft forums, etc, etc

You get the idea, its the same kinda mind/ethic/nerdiness. Elky, Lakerman, etc are gamers who went on to play poker and were mildly successful.

Its just the mindset that is similar. But thats where the similarity with starcraft ends really.

Starcraft is about extreme multitasking, incredible hand-eye coordination, reacting to split second changes, etc, etc - damn its got more in common with rally-driving than poker.

I think you are here advertising some site though amiright?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Elky, Lakerman, etc are gamers who went on to play poker and were mildly successful.

In fairness Elky is a little more than mildly succesful. I think hes something like 40th in all time winnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kevtalk

I think that many ***link removed *** very good poker players [/URL]are playing starcraft because they love the compition and they need something different / new beside poker.. Playing poerk 24 / 7 can be very cruel and boring from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Dustaz wrote: »
    In fairness Elky is a little more than mildly succesful. I think hes something like 40th in all time winnings.
    The 40th most successful person in the world at something is 'mildly successful'?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

kevtalk wrote: »
    I think that many ***link removed *** very good poker players [/URL]are playing starcraft because they love the compition and they need something different / new beside poker.. Playing poerk 24 / 7 can be very cruel and boring from time to time.

infraction given and 10 day ban for breaking forum charter and posting advertising link.

dont want to see NO more of this nonsense from anyone.

regards,
    RoyalMarine.

Advertisement